Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackface for Halloween - Acceptable?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Would anyone here genuinely be offended if someone dressed up as Mr. T?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Cienciano wrote: »

Yes. If they do not pull it off correctly. I do not want any Navan Mr. T accents!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Other people are responsible for their own feelings, not you. You are not prejudicing against any non-ethnic Irish group with regard to work, religion, etc., .

How about you aren't allowed to make fun of accents? It is just the same. There is a big difference between having a bit of fun and forcing people off the bus like in Israel of Africa, or selling slaves like the Arabs used to or indeed rounding up and beheading non-Muslims like ISIS are doing.

So black up all you want IMO. It is not with intention to cause racial hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

dissed doc wrote: »
    Other people are responsible for their own feelings, not you. You are not prejudicing against any non-ethnic Irish group with regard to work, religion, etc., .

How about you aren't allowed to make fun of accents? It is just the same. There is a big difference between having a bit of fun and forcing people off the bus like in Israel of Africa, or selling slaves like the Arabs used to or indeed rounding up and beheading non-Muslims like ISIS are doing.

So black up all you want IMO. It is not with intention to cause racial hatred.

I agree. No harm with a white person dressing up as a rapper or a basketball player etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A black girl I know did "whiteface", and everyone thought it was hilarious :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Cienciano wrote: »

God no. But if it was just a generic black guy, then yeah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭AndreaCollins

Saipanne wrote: »
    God no. But if it was just a generic black guy, then yeah.
    This topic came up with some black people I know and they all said they'd have no problem with someone dressing up as Mr. T but to dress up as a random black person was highly offensive to them. They all had the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This topic came up with some black people I know and they all said they'd have no problem with someone dressing up as Mr. T but to dress up as a random black person was highly offensive to them. They all had the same opinion.

because its clearly implying that there is something different about being black, worthy of pretending to be black to "dress up"

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

No, that would be racist and hurtful

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would look pretty silly in my golliwog costume if I didnt go in blackface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Never!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Ah the annual 'I am so edgy' blackface thread.

Im sure you can provide us with links to all the other annual blackface threads so? Or are you just the one trying to be so edgy?

Advertisement