Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackface for Halloween - Acceptable?

Options
  • 28-10-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭

So this year I've been thinking as dressing up as a black man. But for some reason I feel uneasy about it this.year which is enough for me to think that black face isn't right.

In Ireland I see no problem with it but I live outside Ireland in a place Halloween isn't really celebrated, so for convenience sake going as say Mr T would be easier than finding a costum. But the Expat community here has many Africans and African Americans. Also blacks are looked down upon by the local people so I feel if I went black face it would be ridiculing black people.

So AH, is black face Okay in your opinion and have you done black face before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nope. No. Nein. Nay.

Unless you're alright with everyone thinking you're a racist.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So this year I've been thinking as dressing up as a black man. But for some reason I feel uneasy about it this.year which is enough for me to think that black face isn't right.

In Ireland I see no problem with it but I live outside Ireland in a place Halloween isn't really celebrated, so for convenience sake going as say Mr T would be easier than finding a costum. But the Expat community here has many Africans and African Americans. Also blacks are looked down upon by the local people so I feel if I went black face it would be ridiculing black people.

So AH, is black face Okay in your opinion and have you done black face before?

It would all depend on what country/city you were in imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

the fact you're even asking, and that you deem it thread-worthy should be a good indicator OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

OP...never go full retard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Are you going as a coal miner op?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

"Grabs Popcorn"

I'm just going to see how many post's it will take for the PC crew to come in all outraged, And say even the question is Racist.:pac::pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So this year I've been thinking as dressing up as a black man. But for some reason I feel uneasy about it

I can't imagine why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Are you going as a coal miner op?

Don't jump to conclusions, maybe he's going as a chimney sweep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

There is no reason in the world why you shouldn't go dressed as you want. If people get upset because you dress up as a black personality then that's their fault but unfortunately it might become your problem.

The fact that so many people are 'offended' by people dressing up as black personalities just highlights their own rascism. If they weren't rascist they wouldn't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

blackface is always racist nqat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Links234 wrote: »
    Don't jump to conclusions, maybe he's going as a chimney sweep?

Or has on far to much Fake tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Lord have mercy... You obviously never heard of what happened to Kira Markeljc , who cosplayed as Michonne from the Walking Dead.
    The internet found her guilty. I think what she did is fine as it was well done and liked the character but why would you want to just do old fashioned blackface and dress up as random black man? Do you think black men are scary? Well maybe if your dressing up as the ghost of Biggie Smalls but that's beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Lord have mercy... You obviously never heard of what happened to Kira Markeljc , who cosplayed as Michonne from the Walking Dead.
    The internet found her guilty. I think what she did is fine as it was well done and liked the character but why would you want to just do old fashioned blackface and dress up as random black man? Do you think black men are scary? Well maybe if you're dressing up as the ghost of Biggie Smalls but that's beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You need to go full haul with this, a snazzy zoot suit and pimp hat with a yellow or pink feather and an uzi, watch Harlem Nights for inspiration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

As "a black man", no
    As "my favourite movie star who happens to be black"... maybe. But probably still get issues over that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Or has on far to much Fake tan.

Often seen on programmes about our nomadic brethrens weddings:D It's weird to see a white bride with an almost black face and orange limbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

No OP, it's never OK to black up. It seems to be one of those things that really offends people and why bother putting peoples noses out of joint. Dress up as something else. I remember when Halloween dress up ended at 12 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I heard of some priests who dressed up as Diana Ross & The Supremes for a talent show and nobody thought they were racist. I saw it on a documentary, can't remember the name.

Anyway, they didn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

bluewolf wrote: »
    As "a black man", no
    As "my favourite movie star who happens to be black"... maybe. But probably still get issues over that too

Too much baggage to be worth bothering with, find someone else to dress up as imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

If you want to dress up as a particular black celebrity, and the makeup is part of the costume - fine.

If you want to slap some black facepaint on and that's your costume - "Hey look at me, I'm black, oh the lols!" ... that's just silly and racist and not funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I think it's stupid that it's seen as something racist. Black face back in the day wasn't just putting black on your face, it was a character played by white people that portrayed black people in a very poor light. There is a world of difference between dressing up as Mr. T and deliberately setting out to portray a bunch of negative black stereotypes. People love to get offended, especially on behalf of other people.

Unfortunately tho this is how it is, putting black on your face for any costume is seen by a lot of people as racist. Even if the reasons for it being considered racist are stupid it doesn't change the fact that you will be seen by a lot of people to be racist. If you aren't ok with that then it's probably best to choose a different costume.

Where you are in the world does make a big difference over how offended people will get by this too. In the US you will probably have people coming up to you and shouting at you. I don't think it used to be a thing in Ireland at all, but it is becoming an increasingly popular thing to get offended about. Probably because of increased exposure to american culture via the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Of course it's ok.

If a black man wished to dress up as Shane McGowan for example, then comically bad teeth, slurred speech and a deathly pallor would be requires to carry it off successfully. To attend a party as Mr.T would require a similar change of skin tone and an adherence to behaviours and catchphrases associated with that characters persona.

Were someone to dress as a generic black man and act out an ill-judged series of traits and characteristics which they believe captures the essence of an entire race, then that would be cause for taking exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Rather whiten yourself up with white wash, learn to moonwalk and go as Michael Jackson!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gramar wrote: »
    There is no reason in the world why you shouldn't go dressed as you want. If people get upset because you dress up as a black personality then that's their fault but unfortunately it might become your problem.

The fact that so many people are 'offended' by people dressing up as black personalities just highlights their own rascism. If they weren't rascist they wouldn't notice.

Black Personality != Black Person

"Hey everyone, look at me...I'm black!"

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

gramar wrote: »

Huh? By that logic you'd be fine with me heading out trick-or-treating in full Klan outfit, hood and all? Because only actual racists will be offended?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

GreeBo wrote: »
    Black Personality != Black Person

"Hey everyone, look at me...I'm black!"

a black personality is a black person and what the fúck has that got to do with anything....dressing as a black person doesn't have to be racially motivated so why does it have to be racially interpreted.

and could it not be 'hey everyone looks at me I'm Oprah or Mr T or Michael Jordan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I heard of some priests who dressed up as Diana Ross & The Supremes for a talent show and nobody thought they were racist. I saw it on a documentary, can't remember the name.

Anyway, they didn't win.

They could have dressed up as Banarama, the 80s ripoff of the Supremes, and not an eyelid would be batted. Who need PC when all you need is common sense? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Have found a costume for you, Orangie, which hopefully ticks all the boxes you are looking for.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507722/Fury-Amazon-sells-racist-golliwog-outfit-including-costume-wig-mask.html

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

Dress up however you want. If a black person dressed up as white no one you bat an eye lid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

Dress up however you want. If a black person dressed up as white no one you bat an eye lid

Advertisement