Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackface for Halloween - Acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

mike_ie wrote: »
    Huh? By that logic you'd be fine with me heading out trick-or-treating in full Klan outfit, hood and all? Because only actual racists will be offended?? :confused:

People look for racism where it doesn't exist.
    Dressing up as a personality who happens to be black is not offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Huh? By that logic you'd be fine with me heading out trick-or-treating in full Klan outfit, hood and all? Because only actual racists will be offended?? :confused:

People will just think your a ghost.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Dress up however you want. If a black person dressed up as white no one you bat an eye lid

If black people had a history of dressing up as white people as a part of minstrel shows, in order to highlight 'oh hey, white people sure are stupid and inferior', they might....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

If black people had a history of dressing up as white people as a part of minstrel shows, in order to highlight 'oh hey, white people sure are stupid and inferior', they might....

and until you stop thinking of minstrels everytime you see a person dressed up as a black person we'll never move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For many years minstrel shows were not seen as offensive, even by black people. Weird as it seems even black people 'blacked up' to perform in them and they were the origins of what was to become jazz music. Still, I wouldn't be 100% comfortable about going as someone black, a celeb or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

If you think you're at risk of offending people then don't do it. It's a "party".

Besides unless you're very muscular, willing to shave your hair it's going to be a lame costume.

And you could always go in your own skin and let people use their imagination.

http://i.imgur.com/41UmEmw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I have dreadlocks and I'm white.
    If I "Blackface", would that be considered a better, worse or equal "Blackface" no a non-dreadlocked "Blackfacer"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Cormac... wrote: »
    If I "Blackface", would that be considered a better, worse or equal "Blackface" no a non-dreadlocked "Blackfacer"?

I think you just made the PC crews heads explode. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If you're asking the question, you know it's probably dodgy.

Put it another way, how would you feel if Americans went around dressing up as 'thick stereotypical paddies' on Halloween?

Going around shouting "oh begoragh and bejeepers amin't I Irish to be sure to be sure!"

That's pretty much what you'd be doing.

Also, why would dressing up as a 'black man' have anything to do with halloween?

(me smells a troll)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

SpaceTime wrote: »

Put it another way, how would you feel if Americans went around dressing up as 'thick stereotypical paddies' on Halloween?

Going around shouting "oh begoragh and bejeepers amin't I Irish to be sure to be sure!"

We do that ourselves on Paddy's day. And we go out of our way to promote the leprechaun stereotype. So i don't think you can compare it. Just think of the lost sales of red hair green hats and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I find it funny how we're not supposed to see that black people actually have dark skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Dress up as an orange man. All you need is bowler hat and a sash.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I find it funny how we're not supposed to see that black people actually have dark skin.
    Racist Bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A few lads I know went as the jamacian Bob slay team. Made there own slay and blackened up their faces. Had the jumpsuits n all.

No one was offended by it at the party.

One Nigerian lad used white paint on his face and a wig to pull off Albert Einstein, Was I meant to be offended at that?

People need to stop inventing racism. There is a difference in going as a character, celebrities, or famous person, than 'random black/white guy'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

SpaceTime wrote: »

Also, why would dressing up as a 'black man' have anything to do with halloween?

(me smells a troll)

How is dressing up as Mr. T, a specific (as far as I'm aware) non-offensive black guy in any way comparable to dressing up as a negative stereotype? Are you saying being black itself is a negative stereotype or that Mr. T is for some reason the embodiment of black stereotypes?

Or did you fail to read passed the first sentence of the OP before your outrage meter exploded to see that his intention was to dress as Mr. T and not just a "black man".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Some people will always find a way to find racism and get incensed about it. I abhor racism but there are some moral warriors out there who look for any reason to get on their soapbox and prove how 'racially aware' they are.

Best example I encountered was when I dressed up as the hulk 3 years ago, the green was quite dark but it was green. Was in an club and some idiot starts yelling at me that I'm a racist prick etc. I am actually in bits laughing and he keeps at it getting more and more incensed... its almost coming to blows and I can't stop laughing. Finally he cottons on to the fact that I am actually green and he is in fact an absolute spoon of epic proportions and makes a swift exit.

If you are dressing up as a personality, say Mr. T, no problem. If you are dressing up as a generic 'black man' then thats racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭RoboRat

They keep that for St. Patricks day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I think you just made the PC crews heads explode. :pac:

Take that PC Crew :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Worked for Gene Wilder in Silver Streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There be nothing wrong with dat, mon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

How exactly do you go dressed as a 'black man'? Surely it's just the same as not dressing up and saying you're dressed up as a white man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I saw a picture of a couple of girls I went to school with on Facebook two Halloweens ago. They were in blackface, holding baguettes and wearing berets and basketball shirts. Apparently they were "niggas in Paris". Since then I've kinda just decided that most people who do blackface at Halloween are incredibly ignorant at best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    I saw a picture of a couple of girls I went to school with on Facebook two Halloweens ago. They were in blackface, holding baguettes and wearing berets and basketball shirts. Apparently they were "niggas in Paris". Since then I've kinda just decided that most people who do blackface at Halloween are incredibly ignorant at best.

But without the black face they'd just be your average Parisian honky.

Ain't nobody amused by an average Parisian honky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I honestly don't see why it shouldn't be, provided the costume isn't mocking stereotypes of black people in general. Taking the piss out of an individual is not racist. Furthermore, I personally disapprove the concept of "acceptable" in this context to begin with - people should be able to express themselves as they see fit. Criticism is ok, people getting fired / expelled / prosecuted is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's a really sad state if making yourself look like a black celebrity is seen as racist. So many precious people waiting to be offended by nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Why not dress up as a racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd love to go as Stephen Biko or Malcom X, a couple of heroes of mine.
    It's just asking for trouble though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I think if it makes sense it might be ok (but I still wouldn't personally do it), four guys went as the ghostbusters, my friend was the black dude, it makes sense to distinguish between them. But for someone like Mr. T up there or Michonne, I don't think it's necessary, the costume/accessories are enough to make it obvious.

The "Zwarte Piet" always stirs up a bit of controversy during Sinterklaas over here. But many dutch are still adamant it's not racist, it's the soot from the chimney that causes their faces to be black apparently, the afro wig and big red lips are less easily explained!

They sell stuff like this in the shops coming up to it, many shop-fronts display zwarte piet decorations, it really makes me uneasy, to an outsider it's blatantly racist, to them it's tradition :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Maybe just goes as a sexy Ebola nurse, edgy but not racist.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

I'd say worse.

Advertisement