Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackface for Halloween - Acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

OP go for it ,anyone with a problem are the real racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A few lads I know went as the jamacian Bob slay team. Made there own slay and blackened up their faces. Had the jumpsuits n all.

No one was offended by it at the party.

One Nigerian lad used white paint on his face and a wig to pull off Albert Einstein, Was I meant to be offended at that?

People need to stop inventing racism. There is a difference in going as a character, celebrities, or famous person, than 'random black/white guy'

Can you not see the difference between going as a specific black person versus going as "hey look at me I'm black"

the only reason you would blackface and not try to be a specific black person is because you think there is something intrinsically interesting or different about being black.
    Thats kinda racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Dress as a monkey and when people ask you what you have come as say a black person.

But only if black face isn't racist enough seeming for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

SpaceTime wrote: »
    If you're asking the question, you know it's probably dodgy.

Put it another way, how would you feel if Americans went around dressing up as 'thick stereotypical paddies' on Halloween?

Going around shouting "oh begoragh and bejeepers amin't I Irish to be sure to be sure!"

They do that on Saint Patricks. No Irish people give a f*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

the op could celebrate Halloween dressed up as a troll and then go from house to house airing views and opinions of a questionable nature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

the op could celebrate Halloween dressed up as a troll and then go from house to house airing views and opinions of a questionable nature.

Like jehovah's witnesses..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Is dressing as an old person for Halloween ageist?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Duggy747 wrote: »

like this kid? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Duggy747 wrote: »

Depends on how much of an eejit of yourself you make in the pub :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

But without the black face they'd just be your average Parisian honky.

Ain't nobody amused by an average Parisian honky.

Really? It's 2014, and you are still using the 'h' word?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Remember what happened when Ted Danson did it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah the annual 'I am so edgy' blackface thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

Surely society has reached a stage where amending your skin colour at Halloween, in an effort to look more like the person that you wish to dress as, is incidental. I would feel it more racist for a white person to dress as black character and not change the colour of their skin as surely this is somehow suggestive of their being something wrong with black skin.

I fail to see the difference between a white guy doing so:

http://larrybrownsports.com/hockey/raffi-torres-dresses-as-jay-z-for-halloween-hears-racism-talk-picture/95781

And a black guy doing so:

http://terezowens.com/dwyane-wade-goes-as-justin-timberlake-for-halloween/

BrokenHero wrote: »
    Surely society has reached a stage where amending your skin colour at Halloween, in an effort to look more like the person that you wish to dress as, is incidental. I would feel it more racist for a white person to dress as black character and not change the colour of their skin as surely this is somehow suggestive of their being something wrong with black skin.

I fail to see the difference between a white guy doing so:

http://larrybrownsports.com/hockey/raffi-torres-dresses-as-jay-z-for-halloween-hears-racism-talk-picture/95781

And a black guy doing so:

http://terezowens.com/dwyane-wade-goes-as-justin-timberlake-for-halloween/

Again, there is a difference between going as a specific black person versus just going as a generic black person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

GreeBo wrote: »
    Can you not see the difference between going as a specific black person versus going as "hey look at me I'm black"

the only reason you would blackface and not try to be a specific black person is because you think there is something intrinsically interesting or different about being black.
    Thats kinda racist.

I believe I already had made that point if you read the end of my post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

GreeBo wrote: »
    Again, there is a difference between going as a specific black person versus just going as a generic black person.

To some people but we shouldn't let those people inform how the rest of us behave.

There is nothing inherently racist about dressing as a black person.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A zombie Morgan freeman would go down a storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A zombie Morgan freeman would go down a storm.

If he still had his really cool voice, people would be lining up to become his zombie followers.

BrokenHero wrote: »
    To some people but we shouldn't let those people inform how the rest of us behave.

There is nothing inherently racist about dressing as a black person.

I cant see any other reason someone would dress up as a generic black person than to signify they think there is something different or noteworthy about being black in and of itself.

What do you see as the reason for pretending to be a black version of yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I was going to wear glasses and an Indian dhoti with an aran jumper and a cap and go to a party as
    mohata mogheansai.
    But now I'm afraid people will think I'm racist instead of witty.
    Oh well, Ali G it is then.:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Going as a negative stereotype would obviously be offensive as would going as a black slave. Going as a character like Mr T should be fine.

As a serious question what about a black lad going as James Bond?

What about a black lad going as Alan Partridge? He portrays a negative stereotype of middle class British culture. Would the white PC brigade be offended by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

Go as Trayvon and bring your friend dressed as Zimmerman. He can hispanic up. You can act like best of friends or have your friend chase you down the street while you clutch your skittles bag. Will be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Black face is never ever acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

alroley wrote: »
    Black face is never ever acceptable

Yeah, just imagine a black person dressing up with a white face.:eek::rolleyes:

Yeah, just imagine a black person dressing up with a white face.:eek::rolleyes:

not the same

not the same

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

What about a black person with white face as Michael Jackson? Acceptable or offensive to vitiligo sufferers?

Why?

black face comes from white people using it to make fun of black people to entertain other white people.

black face comes from white people using it to make fun of black people to entertain other white people.

Dressing as Mr T is not making fun of black people... Its dressing as Mr T.

I can't help thinking there is inherent racism in saying a white person can never dress as a black person but the other way around might be ok. That point of view would make sense if you see black people as inherently less than white people and dressing as a black person is necessarily mocking the character you're portraying.

To paraphrase your earlier post 'Seeing black people and white people as equal is never ever possible'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So this year I've been thinking as dressing up as a black man. But for some reason I feel uneasy about it this.year which is enough for me to think that black face isn't right.

In Ireland I see no problem with it but I live outside Ireland in a place Halloween isn't really celebrated, so for convenience sake going as say Mr T would be easier than finding a costum. But the Expat community here has many Africans and African Americans. Also blacks are looked down upon by the local people so I feel if I went black face it would be ridiculing black people.

So AH, is black face Okay in your opinion and have you done black face before?

A white person dressing as a black person is not inherently racist or offensive in any way. However, because some thick people think that it is, you are only drawing trouble on yourself by going down that road. I wouldn't do it if I were you. You'll fall victim to the 21st century version of blasphemy - like these guys

Advertisement