Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€800 a month for this!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Just gonna leave this here for comparison...

http://www.propertypal.com/property-to-rent/belfast-city-centre/price-800-800

You Dubliners are crazy standing for this ****.
    What do you suggest we do about it? Sleep rough? Massacre the slumlords til the streets run red with their blood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Just gonna leave this here for comparison...

http://www.propertypal.com/property-to-rent/belfast-city-centre/price-800-800

You Dubliners are crazy standing for this ****.

The real drawback of the Belfast apartment is that it's in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The real drawback of the Belfast apartment is that it's in Belfast.
    Exactly, as they say, "Location, Location, Location".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

:eek: that's unbelievable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can that bedsit be reported as unsafe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

€200 per week for a toilet with some electrical junk and dandelions?? Ah, the 'free market'. It's not what it's worth, it's what you can squeeze out of some unfortunate sucker.

I'm wondering now if I could purchase some old van, park it in the garden, knock the wheels off it, and rent it out as a bedsit or flat. Considering the low standards in accommodation.

At least this sordid little grief hole in roomier than a Portaloo. So it has that going for it. Surprised Daft didn't mention it in their ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »
    You're right guys, it's much too expensive.
    Someone has to do something before it's too late.

Let's meet outside tomorrow at 4pm for a protest. Bring your own signs.
    I'm here now but I don't see anyone else yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

The fifth picture of the microwave really swung it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

I had an ex who lived in much worse for a while. I have a friend who lived in similar.

People don't know what some have to deal with.

In my Students years most friends who didn't live at home had to cope with similar or worse. And there are worse out there. The south circular road and Rathmines are notorious. Mouldy, freezing and unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If everybody wasn't obsessed with living in the same few postcodes in Dublin, these vampire landlords wouldn't have a captive market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My last place was €750 a month, had a large fully fitted kitchen, a huge bedroom, a separate toilet/shower/bathroom, tons of storage and all electrical/heating costs etc were covered by the rent. It was in D15 beside the Coolmine train station...so 20 mins from the city centre.

There isn't a hope in hell that I would ever pay €800 for that coffin advertised in the OP. There are far better places for less and with easy/quick transport to the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

Lalealea wrote: »
    I had an ex who lived in much worse for a while. I have a friend who lived in similar.

People don't know what some have to deal with.

In my Students years most friends who didn't live at home had to cope with similar or worse. And there are worse out there. The south circular road and Rathmines are notorious. Mouldy, freezing and unsafe.

Mind you it was for a lot less than 800 euro a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

700-750?

For that piece piece of crap. I'd consider €300 for it.

Sure - a lot of people wouldn't consider living there. The thing is, there are a LOT of people in Dublin fighting over a limited number of spaces. I pay more for my current 1 bed apartment than I did for a 3bed, 2bath detached home.

Tenants look for what's available and they go for the property that meets their needs at a price they can handle. Everyone I know who rents in Dublin says that rents are insane in Dublin....and yet - we're all doing it.

When people say 'X is too expensive' - that's fine to say, but my response is always, 'Well, show me something equivalent that is cheaper...'

I hate living with people. I don't want roommates. I don't have a car and I want to be along the 46a/145. That's why I used to live on Leeson street. I used to pay €1000 - but this was a handful of years back. Rents have been going up a lot since then. I'd shocked if the place wasn't 1100 now, or higher.

Here is a bedsit for 850 that is going to be comparable:
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/upper-leeson-st-dublin-4-dublin/1499517/

And here is an apartment with the bed in the kitchen for 775:
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/adelaide-road-dublin-2-dublin/1499125/

Asking 800 for that property isn't unreasonable in that location and this market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

If the landlord want to treat people like this, I say we all waist his time by making appointments to see it.

€200 per week for a toilet with some electrical junk and dandelions?? Ah, the 'free market'. It's not what it's worth, it's what you can squeeze out of some unfortunate sucker.

I'm wondering now if I could purchase some old van, park it in the garden, knock the wheels off it, and rent it out as a bedsit or flat. Considering the low standards in accommodation.

At least this sordid little grief hole in roomier than a Portaloo. So it has that going for it. Surprised Daft didn't mention it in their ad.

Ummm - that's exactly how the free market works. People will pay whatever they are willing to pay....I don't think it's fair to call them suckers.

kjl wrote: »
    If the landlord want to treat people like this, I say we all waist his time by making appointments to see it.

In my experience with renting crappy places in Dublin - they don't make appointments. You call up and they'll tell you when they will be there. You show up at that time, and queue up with the other hopeful tenants.

The place I'm renting now, had three offers on the day of their first showing. And it's not a nice place. The landlord had us each write him a letter (I'm not joking) to say we were interested and why we'd be good tenants. It's not as bad as the place in this ad - but it's not much better - and people were fighting over the chance to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Stheno wrote: »
    Can that bedsit be reported as unsafe?

Yep. The location of the shower/bathroom makes the flat completely illegal.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

anncoates wrote: »
    If everybody wasn't obsessed with living in the same few postcodes in Dublin, these vampire landlords wouldn't have a captive market.

Plus to the one.

anncoates wrote: »

I can only speak for myself - but I didn't even know the postcodes when I came to Dublin. I don't have a car though, so my transport options were limited.

I looked at where my wife needed to be each day, and I looked at where I needed to be each day, I looked at where we could live and both have a commute time under an hour.

And we ended up in the most expensive parts of Dublin. The public transportation isn't so great, IMHO. Dublin Bikes helps - but it's not all that reliable if you need to be somewhere on time. I took it to work for a year or so, but sometimes there were no bikes at the station I needed and other times I could return the bike near work. It meant I always had to be 20 minutes early, so I could handle the days when the bikes weren't there (even if it was only 1-2 times per month).

Dubin Bus - outside of the biggest lines - just plain takes too long. And that feeling of watching a full bus drive past your stop when you're already running late for work is enough to make me want to kill someone.

The Luas is a bit pricey. The red-line / green-line disconnect made the red-line a bit of a joke for us, and trying to get to UCD from the green-line isn't pleasant either. It's a 2km walk from the nearest station to the west side of campus. According to Google that's a 27 minute walk, and that's *after* walking to the first station, catching the Luas, and paying a lot, then walking 27 minutes. Yuck.

We looked at the commuter train - we could get a great place in a commuter town. But the train gets me to city centre. From city centre I'd need to catch a bus to UCD and that bus ride alone can be 45-50 minutes, and is not cheap. Adding a the cost of a commuter train on top of that is a lot of money (or at least it was, I know they've changed things).

So we ended up paying a lot for a crappy apartment, in a great location. Not because we wanted to, but because it worked for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

That is the most grim thing I've ever seen, Jesus!

Although you could make dinner, go to the fridge while your on that skimpy toilet.

No thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

My last place was €750 a month, had a large fully fitted kitchen, a huge bedroom, a separate toilet/shower/bathroom, tons of storage and all electrical/heating costs etc were covered by the rent. It was in D15 beside the Coolmine train station...so 20 mins from the city centre.

There isn't a hope in hell that I would ever pay €800 for that coffin advertised in the OP. There are far better places for less and with easy/quick transport to the city centre.

Lots of people don't think about the Maynooth line. It's fairly fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I'm here now but I don't see anyone else yet.

I'll protest by voting for any party which agrees to a large house building program even Sinn Fein though I disagree with them on everything else. Or leave this glorious landlord's republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Valetta wrote: »
    What's the problem?

€800 for a city centre apartment seems about right.

Another pointless bank holiday thread?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

They are talking about this on FM104 at the min... link on their facebook page to the add

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah they do like to use material from boards on various radio and other media.
    Suppose it's an easy way to get current topics.

Sure why not, we take news from them to discuss.

Yeah they do like to use material from boards on various radio and other media.
    Suppose it's an easy way to get current topics.

Sure why not, we take news from them to discuss.
    Social media at its best! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's going to have someone snap it up if getting free advertising on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

You'd have to be a massive orsehole to charge that for it, and an absolute gobshoyte to pay

Everyone's a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Free market. No issue here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Free market. No issue here.

Eh...
    apartment does not meet minimum statutory requirement. 4 hob minimum in kitchen, this place has two. Shower in the same living space, as bedroom come kitchen. Looks clean but a death trap.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

Facilities for cooking and for the hygienic storage of food, for example, a 4-ring hob with oven and grill, fridge-freezer and microwave ove
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    Listed as fuly furnished 1 bed 1 bath Studio, f.f.s. its a bathroom with a fold-down bed, a fridge and a microwave in it.
    At 800 a month, Leeson St or not, more the fool that pays for it.

Yeah, no issue other than the contravention of housing standards and false advertising.

I'd be very wary of anyone defending this space as suitable or okay. If you're okay with this, or think that it is right for people to make money in such ways you probably have the propensity to rip people off and engage in unethical behaviour if you get the chance.

Advertisement