Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€800 a month for this!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

UCDVet wrote: »
    The landlord had us each write him a letter (I'm not joking) to say we were interested and why we'd be good tenants.

I'd write a letter with just 2 words
    PISS OFF
    It's not as bad as the place in this ad - but it's not much better - and people were fighting over the chance to pay it.

people were fighting over the chance to pay it ???
    WTF
    This would be the point at which I would probably decide to leave Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Free market. No issue here.

If there was a free market in Irish property prices would be about half what they are.

The poor renter who gets this is also paying taxes to keep the few over-leveraged luvvies in their ballsbridge mansion. The landlord might even be in arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If there was a free market in Irish property prices would be about half what they are.

The poor renter who gets this is also paying taxes to keep the few over-leveraged luvvies in their ballsbridge mansion. The landlord might even be in arrears.

Property would naturally be half of what it is now. No evidence for that.

Whats the obsession with landlords and arrears ? Every thread has this thrown in some where. It makes no odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Eh...

Yeah, no issue other than the contravention of housing standards and false advertising.

I'd be very wary of anyone defending this space as suitable or okay. If you're okay with this, or think that it is right for people to make money in such ways you probably have the propensity to rip people off and engage in unethical behaviour if you get the chance.

Probably should be in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I can only speak for myself - but I didn't even know the postcodes when I came to Dublin. I don't have a car though, so my transport options were limited.

I looked at where my wife needed to be each day, and I looked at where I needed to be each day, I looked at where we could live and both have a commute time under an hour.

And we ended up in the most expensive parts of Dublin. The public transportation isn't so great, IMHO. Dublin Bikes helps - but it's not all that reliable if you need to be somewhere on time. I took it to work for a year or so, but sometimes there were no bikes at the station I needed and other times I could return the bike near work. It meant I always had to be 20 minutes early, so I could handle the days when the bikes weren't there (even if it was only 1-2 times per month).

Dubin Bus - outside of the biggest lines - just plain takes too long. And that feeling of watching a full bus drive past your stop when you're already running late for work is enough to make me want to kill someone.

The Luas is a bit pricey. The red-line / green-line disconnect made the red-line a bit of a joke for us, and trying to get to UCD from the green-line isn't pleasant either. It's a 2km walk from the nearest station to the west side of campus. According to Google that's a 27 minute walk, and that's *after* walking to the first station, catching the Luas, and paying a lot, then walking 27 minutes. Yuck.

We looked at the commuter train - we could get a great place in a commuter town. But the train gets me to city centre. From city centre I'd need to catch a bus to UCD and that bus ride alone can be 45-50 minutes, and is not cheap. Adding a the cost of a commuter train on top of that is a lot of money (or at least it was, I know they've changed things).

So we ended up paying a lot for a crappy apartment, in a great location. Not because we wanted to, but because it worked for us.
    Your mistake was paying for the LUAS...

• Advertisement
Advertisement