Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric cars

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

One of the problems with bio fuels in general is that they are so energy intensive to produce and that they displace other production for food and the like.

That's a shame. It seems to me that a vehicle running on bio diesel would be less hassle when it came to refuelling than an electric.

No need to wait for anything to charge - just top her up at the local service station as you normally would, and off you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

OK, let's live outside the box for a moment. The comment on this thread, and on another thread have provoked this suggestion.

Let's assume that for whatever reason, it became possible to build sensible size nuclear power stations in Ireland.

That could solve the issue of heating houses, run the stations at high power levels and forget oil heating and maybe even gas, and also use the spare power to extract hydrogen from water to provide fuel for power cells for vehicles of all sizes, both car and commercial transport size.

Spend money on electrifying all the remaining diesel powered rail lines, generating realistic employment, and reducing the cost of rail travel. Convert all the public transport systems to use Hydrogen based fuel systems.

Massive reduction in carbon fuel tax intake for the Government, and massive reduction in fuel taxes. No shortage of fuel, as Hydrogen can be found anywhere.

massive reduction in imports of carbon based fuels. Massive reductions in pollution from vehicles.

Option to use wind and tidal resources as top up power sources to supplement the nuclear base.

Downside? Government has less tax take. Problems if storms damage the power distribution infrastructure

Positives. Way less pollution from vehicles. Significantly reduced distribution costs for EVERYTHING, cheaper travel, cheaper heating for homes, energy security as not dependent on countries like Russia for Gas or Oil.

I think that would all depend on the type of nuclear power plant that you build

please forget about hydrogen its never going to happen, its a pure scam

if the price of solar PV keeps dropping I could see that becoming popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ted1 wrote: »
    Ruth renaults battery rental they'll replace the battery once it drops to 75%. So no large fees.
    The point is that you pay for them forever.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Where did you pull the 10k figure from?
    What ICE car offers more thank 7 year warranty?
    10k is the figure I was given for battery replacement. A current manufacturer giving a 7yr warranty is different because in the 2nd hand market a well maintained car is still worth buying. With electric, the batteries have a lifespan regardless of maintenance. Look at this article for lifespan etc: http://www.powertechsystems.eu/en/technics/lithium-ion-vs-lead-acid-cost-analysis/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

nokia69 wrote: »
    please forget about hydrogen its never going to happen, its a pure scam
    It's not a scam. I mentioned earlier how easy it is to burn salt water. Forget hydrogen fuel cells and imagine a combustion engine running on salt water as fuel:
    http://youtu.be/HNvLwDX2WW0

smash wrote: »
    The point is that you pay for them forever.

10k is the figure I was given for battery replacement. A current manufacturer giving a 7yr warranty is different because in the 2nd hand market a well maintained car is still worth buying. With electric, the batteries have a lifespan regardless of maintenance. Look at this article for lifespan etc: http://www.powertechsystems.eu/en/technics/lithium-ion-vs-lead-acid-cost-analysis/

this all depends on the battery pack design

a tesla battery pack can last decades
    Later in 2007, Kanzius claimed that the same radio frequency transmitter can also be used to generate a hydrogen-oxygen mixture dissociated from salt water.[14][16] In a column in the journal Nature, it was pointed out that since water is the left over product from burning Hydrogen, it can not be used as a fuel by generating hydrogen and then burning it without an equal or greater amount of input energy than output since it would violate the laws of thermodynamics.[17] The discovery was made accidentally while he was researching the use of radio waves for desalination. Kanzius said that "In this case we weren't looking for energy, we were looking for something that might do desalinization. The more we tried desalinization, the more heat we produced, until we got fire".[16] Kanzius admitted that this process could not be considered an energy source, as more energy is used to produce the RF signal than can be obtained from the burning gas and stated in July 2007 that he never claimed his discovery would replace oil, asserting only that his discovery was "thought provoking

so much for powering cars with saltwater

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

hydrogen LOL

fool cells are a scam

You're thinking of water4gas nonsense. Did you hear about the first hydrogen powered tractor

http://agriculture.newholland.com/PublishingImages/cnhimg/we/Hydrogen/NH2_90014_INB.pdf

Electric car might be the future, but not by battery. It will be electric like electric tram and overhead lines. Bump and Go cars, similar

That's a shame. It seems to me that a vehicle running on bio diesel would be less hassle when it came to refuelling than an electric.

No need to wait for anything to charge - just top her up at the local service station as you normally would, and off you go.

very strange

you must be the only person in the world who likes paying for petrol/diesel

the best thing about an electric car is you charge it at night and its full every morning, it costs a few euro to charge a leaf/model S but my last fill up of diesel cost me close to 70 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

very strange

you must be the only person in the world who likes paying for petrol/diesel

If only they made a car that ran on the owner's sense of self importance...

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Electric car might be the future, but not by battery. It will be electric like electric tram and overhead lines. Bump and Go cars, similar

Why not by battery? Range isn't an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement