Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mensa - anybody here joined.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Go on then, what's the club?

It's not a club it's an achievement which puts me in a different category. Mentioning it would be the height of vulgarity. I just don't think Mensa has any business calling itself a club for the intelligent when Nobel Laureates don't refer to themselves as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I don't really care if you mention it or not but you already brought it up of your own volition and to now refuse to name it makes you look like (a) a tit, or (b) a Mensa basher.

Also find it ironic for you to indicate it would be vulgar to name your 'achievement' where it seems to me you have been vulgar already in your self promotion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 johnobertie2

Quazzie wrote: »
    Mensa has a disproportionate amount of virgins.

You don't have to be smart to make money or get the ride

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

lanos wrote: »
    I'm not worried about anything mate.

I am simply exploring people's attitudes to the society and trying to analyse
    the negative reactions of some people here, as I believe they are representative of Irish society.

I would think that some people see membership of Mensa as an affectation.

Perhaps others see that as begrudgery.

I don't really care if you mention it or not but you already brought it up of your own volition and to now refuse to name it makes you look like (a) a tit, or (b) a Mensa basher.

Also find it ironic for you to indicate it would be vulgar to name your 'achievement' where it seems to me you have been vulgar already in your self promotion.

Well I am a Mensa basher because the most intelligent people I know don't feel the need to join a club that only lets in intelligent people. I don't believe they have a great measurement of intelligence nor do I believe that intelligence is plastic I.E your intelligence isn't fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Not true in my case considering I belong to more exclusive group of people.

A more exclusive group than a society that charges €60 p.a. to join, eh? Wouldn't exactly have to be the K Club. :pac:

Well I am a Mensa basher because the most intelligent people I know don't feel the need to join a club that only lets in intelligent people. I don't believe they have a great measurement of intelligence nor do I believe that intelligence is plastic I.E your intelligence isn't fixed.

I agree with that.

Still, must be really great to be part of an even more exclusive club than Mensa. A secret society of individuals of superior intelligence.

I agree with that.

Still, must be really great to be part of an even more exclusive club than Mensa. A secret society of individuals of superior intelligence.

No such thing as fixed intelligence as I said.

I agree with that.

Isn't that what Mensa claim to be?

Isn't that what Mensa claim to be?

I'm not disputing that but neither am I disparaging them while elevating myself and an unnamed cadre.

• Advertisement

I'm not disputing that but neither am I disparaging them while elevating myself and an unnamed cadre.

You made a sarcastic quip about me being a member of a society of being with superior intelligent. You basically described Mensa. Why haven't you a problem with their self elevation?

You made a sarcastic quip about me being a member of a society of being with superior intelligent. You basically described Mensa. Why haven't you a problem with their self elevation?

I don't have any particular fondness for Mensa. I take umbrage with your self aggrandisement at Mensa's expense and, more particularly, your refusal to explain what puts you in 'a different category'..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

In my orthodontist's waiting room were Mensa magazines, for some reason. It was just a load of nerds boasting about having the biggest Meccano collection in Bristol and looking like they'd melt if they even got a hint of sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

It's not a club it's an achievement which puts me in a different category. Mentioning it would be the height of vulgarity. I just don't think Mensa has any business calling itself a club for the intelligent when Nobel Laureates don't refer to themselves as such.

So are you a nobel laureate ?
    I'm not sure it's actually vulgar to mention it but you have
    hinted at it so there is definitely no vulgarity from you on this occasion.
    So are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The comments about school students not holding the clever kids in high esteem would seem to mirror adult society's disdain for Mensa.

So it would seem for you that this debate is underpinned by an assumption that society's attitudes towards highly intelligent people and society's attitudes towards people who seek to join an elitist club where membership is limited to those deemed by the club to be intelligent (and willing to hand over €60 for the privilege) are one and the same.

They are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

topper75 wrote: »
    So it would seem for you that this debate is underpinned by an assumption that society's attitudes towards highly intelligent people and society's attitudes towards people who seek to join an elitist club where membership is limited to those deemed by the club to be intelligent (and willing to hand over €60 for the privilege) are one and the same.

They are not.

Problem with schools is that they are so underresourced it is just about enough for them to help along the kids who are not able to keep up.
    My eldest has one the highest maths scores in the school region where we will, but no extra time or work is given to her at school to try and develop this.
    She is in forth class now but is very easily able to do 6th class maths.

On the other hand kids who are in 4th class but struggle with 2nd class maths are given SNA help and others. Its not from ditain but a lack of resources to help all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

allibastor wrote: »
    Problem with schools is that they are so underresourced it is just about enough for them to help along the kids who are not able to keep up.
    My eldest has one the highest maths scores in the school region where we will, but no extra time or work is given to her at school to try and develop this.

On the other hand kids who are in 4th class but struggle with 2nd class maths are given SNA help and others. Its not from ditain but a lack of resources to help all

That's a shame to see potential being wasted. Are you able to/have time to take her through more advanced maths yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I appreciate the issue. Is Mensa the best option here though? What about coder dojo? Or just spend a little time yourself with her at weekends looking at the higher level books/exercises to satisfy here intellectual appetite without having any truck with a club riddled with notions.

Hi Both,

Yes I do get her to do advanced maths at home, problem is she then is bored in school. If she gets too far ahead she will talk all the time in class and gets in trouble. Unfortunatly there is not much to be done if she cant get too far ahead. We try and get her to do other subjects, she is 9 and loves science so far. I will look at the CYTI courses for her though as I never heard of them until recently.
    I had the same problem as a youngster, I was thought to be a problem child in national school and most of secondary school as I was distruptive child.
    Only when I was in 3rd year did a teacher actually ask me a question which I gave a very detailed answer to and then proceeded to spend about 30 mins asking me other questions from leaving cert work which I answered perfectly. I was brought to the remedical teacher who said I wasnt slow but highly intelligent and dyslexic and that I got nearly all work, except languages, instantly. Was brought in for IQ tests and apptitude tests etc and was encouraged to join Mensa.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nah, too thick.

I've never been quite clear(see above) on what it measures exactly and how that applies to general intelligence? Then again intelligence is hard enough to pin down as there seems to be quite the number of different types, emotional/social intelligence, physical intelligence, artistic intelligence etc.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi Both,

Yes I do get her to do advanced maths at home, problem is she then is bored in school. If she gets too far ahead she will talk all the time in class and gets in trouble. Unfortunatly there is not much to be done if she cant get too far ahead. We try and get her to do other subjects, she is 9 and loves science so far. I will look at the CYTI courses for her though as I never heard of them until recently.
    I had the same problem as a youngster, I was thought to be a problem child in national school and most of secondary school as I was distruptive child.
    Only when I was in 3rd year did a teacher actually ask me a question which I gave a very detailed answer to and then proceeded to spend about 30 mins asking me other questions from leaving cert work which I answered perfectly. I was brought to the remedical teacher who said I wasnt slow but highly intelligent and dyslexic and that I got nearly all work, except languages, instantly. Was brought in for IQ tests and apptitude tests etc and was encouraged to join Mensa.

The thing is if she's a quick learner she'll get bored in school anyway. She should learn a bit ahead but also do after school activities. Music lessons would be a great one particularly if she has an aptitude for maths; it will keep her stimulated and give her a life long skill she'll enjoy (although it's dreary at the start :) )
    Or other types of after school things like that
    CYTI is a good one
    http://www.dcu.ie/ctyi/cat.shtml

bluewolf wrote: »
    The thing is if she's a quick learner she'll get bored in school anyway. She should learn a bit ahead but also do after school activities. Music lessons would be a great one particularly if she has an aptitude for maths; it will keep her stimulated and give her a life long skill she'll enjoy (although it's dreary at the start :) )
    Or other types of after school things like that
    CYTI is a good one
    http://www.dcu.ie/ctyi/cat.shtml

She was trying the violin but didnt like it. She wants to be out playing all the time like all young ladies.

I did last year let her get ahead but she then had to wait 5 months for the other to do the same work so she was bored and if we went ahead more the problem just got worse.
    it is a shame that so much effort is placed on bringing kids up to standard but little to no effort is made for kids who are already ahead of the standard.
    I used to do H level maths and dropped out because the teacher thought I was cheating at all my exams cause I was finished in 15 mins flat usually. Did all my college exams in around 35 mins!! My class had a bet as to how long I would sit there after the 30 min period of the initial exam.

So are you a nobel laureate ?
    I'm not sure it's actually vulgar to mention it but you have
    hinted at it so there is definitely no vulgarity from you on this occasion.
    So are you ?

No I'm not. I'd rather not.

I work with HEAR students who encounter the exact same problem. It's not going to change anytime soon unfortunately. I suggest you go over extra work with the. When I was at school I asked a lecturer in UCD to help me with some extra work and he did. That's always a possibility. Give her university text books and let her get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

It being 20 odd years since testing for CTYI, (a) I can't remember fully, and (b) it's probably changed since then.

But I remember everyone in my class doing something called Drumcondra Tests, then the ones who did well were asked to do more tests.
    Then I was sent out a letter asking me to go to do another round of tests outside of school in some community centre somewhere.

I never actually applied for CTYI or anything, they got in contact with me

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CentimoSal

Mensa is just another accolade - it means very little. Just another trophy to hang up on your CV...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

It being 20 odd years since testing for CTYI, (a) I can't remember fully, and (b) it's probably changed since then.

But I remember everyone in my class doing something called Drumcondra Tests, then the ones who did well were asked to do more tests.
    Then I was sent out a letter asking me to go to do another round of tests outside of school in some community centre somewhere.

I never actually applied for CTYI or anything, they got in contact with me

I think they send information to teachers to send kids who score 95th percentile+ on drumcondra tests on to them for further testing. I heard about it the same way, then heard about it again after doing secondary school entrance tests :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement