Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mensa - anybody here joined.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

lanos wrote: »
    Thats very astute of you
    Were/are you ever in CTYI or Mensa ?
    Did you ever apply ?

I personally was in CTYI, I interacted with like-minded people from lots of different backgrounds and made lots of friends, some of whom remain friends to this day. I did the test for Mensa, was accepted but didn't bother joining because CTYI fulfilled that role for me.

For someone who was older, or couldn't afford to go to CTYI (or couldn't get a bursary), I can see how they might join Mensa hoping that it could provide for them what CTYI provides for those who attend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't need Mensa to tell me how smart I am.

Mainly because the answer would be "Not smart enough to join us, dumbass!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Yes, I am a member.

It has done nothing for me in the 9 years I have been a member. Its not like you can even put it on a CV.

I get a magazine every so often and some news letters and other such junk, but for the life of me I cant say it has raised my standard of living or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

OneArt wrote: »
    Maybe the lady in question is highly intelligent, but she's shes' certainly not good at punctuation. Or writing.

I don't read Irish press much anymore but every time I do there's a horrific amount of basic punctuation and grammatical errors. Seriously, do they even hire editors anymore?

Fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

i can't see any situation where an adult would need to state he was once a member of CTYI, and you state that you hate telling people about it

It comes up from time to time to be honest. Usually when people start talking about Gaeltacht experiences and they ask you why you didn't go, and I've to explain I spent my Gaeltacht time in a special school that teaches Bioinformatics to 16 year olds
    Or when I'm with friends from CTYI talking about it and other people ask you what it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I'm curious. Does anyone know anyone who was refused membership of Mensa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I know someone who did the test and didn't qualify, if that's what you're asking.

Deenie123 wrote: »
    I know someone who did the test and didn't qualify, if that's what you're asking.

It was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

They say themselves that most people who take it qualify, simply because people tend to self-select.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Knew one person who kept bragging about it, bit of an arsehole know it all & a total weirdo.
    Really its not something I view positively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

I spent my Gaeltacht time in a special school that teaches Bioinformatics to 16 year olds
    That does sound kinda impressive
    More impressive than doing a pub quiz with a bunch of sci-fi nerds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

That's the kind of secret you bring with you to the grave.

They say themselves that most people who take it qualify, simply because people tend to self-select.

That makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I think I can quote myself from the "Would you join a right wing party?" thread.
    Hoop66 wrote: »
    I wouldn't join. Imagine the sort of tossers you'd meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It's full of f*cking nob ends as far as I know ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

<delicioussnigger>
    From their website FAQ:
    7. How much does it cost annually to be in Mensa?
    It currently costs €59.85 / £49.50 (this reduces to €53.95 / £44.95 if paying by Direct Debit).
    You can obtain a concession rate if you are unwaged or under 18 years of age. Mensa also offers a family membership deal.
    €60 handed over for somebody else to tell you that you are smart probably means you are not that smart and your ego has trumped your intellect.
    </delicioussnigger>

Could it be construed that persons mocking the
    society or the members, who have never applied for
    testing due to fear of failure, or have failed testing,
    may be suffering from jealously ?

That's certainly one of a range of possibilities.

I think that the Legion of Mary is a pointless organization also but it's not because of any sort of jealousy.

That's certainly one of a range of possibilities.
    How large a range I wonder, not too large I reckon.
    I was advised, as a child, that people who mock or bully another person who has caused no harm initially, then the aggressor is jealous or fearful of his victim.

How large a range I wonder, not too large I reckon.

Sure who knows. If you want to join then sign up and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

steddyeddy wrote: »
    As there is in every country.

Not to the same extent. In asian countries the smartest kid in the class is often the most popular. Here they get shunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

syklops wrote: »
    Not to the same extent. In asian countries the smartest kid in the class is often the most popular. Here they get shunned.

That's academic ability not intelligence.

That's academic ability not intelligence.

None of the schools I went to in Ireland was the person with the most academic ability the most popular. If s/he could score tries or goals in whatever game, or had money, they were the in crowd. Bonus points for representing the county/state in whatever sport.

None of the schools I went to in Ireland was the person with the most academic ability the most popular. If s/he could score tries or goals in whatever game, or had money, they were the in crowd. Bonus points for representing the county/state in whatever sport.

I know it's just my opinion but I think you're confusing a desire to do well at school with intellectualism. Intellectualism (using no false modesty I will now refer to myself as an intellectual) in my terms means enjoying the pursuit of knowledge. Doing well at school seems more like just doing well because it's seen as what you should do.

I know it's just my opinion but I think you're confusing a desire to do well at school with intellectualism. Intellectualism (using no false modesty I will now refer to myself as an intellectual) in my terms means enjoying the pursuit of knowledge. Doing well at school seems more like just doing well because it's seen as what you should do.
    OK Im convinced. There is no anti-intellectualism in Ireland. Well done!

OK Im convinced. There is no anti-intellectualism in Ireland. Well done!

Where did I say that?

Sure who knows. If you want to join then sign up and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
    I'm not worried about anything mate.

I am simply exploring people's attitudes to the society and trying to analyse
    the negative reactions of some people here, as I believe they are representative of Irish society.
    The comments about school students not holding the clever kids in high esteem would seem to mirror adult society's disdain for Mensa.
    In the Philippines, they Refer To The Crabs In the bucket story.
    Google it
    It seems a bit relevant here

Again kids doing well in a school context does not make them intellectuals. Pushy parents maybe.

Not true in my case considering I belong to more exclusive group of people. The people mocking the society are people (in my case) that the society is falsey advertising itself as a club of highly intelligent people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Go on then, what's the club?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement