Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mensa - anybody here joined.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You get 5% off in libraries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well Brendan o Carroll is a member so it must be good,but I will have to ask the mammy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Had a friend who joined or else he forged a card. Didn't know that Jimmy Savile was in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

lanos wrote: »
    Is it a complete waste of time and money

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Tough entrance exam, very tough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I have two memberships, such is the size of my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    yes

What isn't though? :p
    We were all in agreement that it’s not an achievement in the same way that completing a triathlon or achieving grade eight in piano would be, because it’s not something over which we have control.

The sooner we get of rid of this myth the better. There's natural variations to everything but you can improve your IQ in a similar way you can improve from being a sedentary couch potato to ultra marathon runner - A person's level of intellect isn't fixed for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'm wary of holding in high regard people with such a limited set of specific skills. Sure... you can arrange the shapes in the correct logical order, but can you make someone laugh, empathise with someone who is depressed, write a beautiful song, raise a family, compose a compelling tale, run a great business? Where are the exclusive societies for people who can do that?

TLDR: I have an inferiority complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Does anybody here have any experience of the organisation. Is it a complete waste of time and money
    yes

Is this opinion based on first or second-hand information, or did you just feel like criticizing Mensa for the heck of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Is this opinion based on first or second-hand information, or did you just feel like criticizing Mensa for the heck of it.

First hand. A magazine every month and going to a meet up where I was glared at til I left again
    No interest since
    That was the under 18s branch. maybe it's different for the adult one but I wouldn't be interested

Sky King wrote: »
    I'm wary of holding in high regard people with such a limited set of specific skills. Sure... you can arrange the shapes in the correct logical order, but can you make someone laugh, empathise with someone who is depressed, write a beautiful song, raise a family, compose a compelling tale, run a great business? Where are the exclusive societies for people who can do that?

TLDR: I have an inferiority complex.

The above would mostly be Emotional Intelligence or EQ. Don't know if there's a society established for one, but imo there should be. It'd sure be nice to know the empathetic people in this world are when times get tough. :p
    First hand. A magazine every month and going to a meet up where I was glared at til I left again
    No interest since

Well, I suppose, in the stereotypical culture of geeks seeing a 'wolf' in their society would be a little bit of a "there are no wolves on the internet" moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I applied to Mensa but I fecked up the address and ended up a member of a mens spa. Dunno about the high IQ of the members, but they certainly loved their assless chaps. And moustaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The above would mostly be Emotional Intelligence or EQ. Don't know if there's a society established for one, but imo there should be. It'd sure be nice to know the empathetic people in this world are when times get tough.

What about creativity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Tough entrance exam, very tough
    Did you join ?
    I might give it a go.
    Only problem is that there is no test centre in limerick.

Sky King wrote: »
    What about creativity?

Don't know the specifics. It does come under some category (categories?) of intelligence.

My Mensa cert brings all the chicks to the yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Did you join ?
    I might give it a go.
    Only problem is that there is no test centre in limerick.
    No, as I didn't make the cut :-( too thick for mensa.

I did the test in Cork. IMO It'd be worth travelling to Dublin or Cork to do it if you're genuinely interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Did the test, "passed", but didn't see the point so didn't join.

Did you try some of the their pre-test activities?
    https://www.mensa.org/workout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I never understood how anyone who was supposedly three deviations from the mean of intelligence could pay money to join a club that exists to endorse how smart they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mensa tried to join me. They failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Nobody who is demonstrably intelligent joins Mensa anymore. It's ranks are swelled with glamour models,ex politicians,actors and assorted people who require a badge and a monthly magazine in the letterbox that they can point to if they need to assert the fact that they're smart.
    It's a mugs game, you're not going to find Stephen Hawking or his like joining Mensa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I never understood how anyone who was supposedly three deviations from the mean of intelligence could pay money to join a club that exists to endorse how smart they are.

Bragging rights..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

People who make great discoveries, publish scientific papers or further knowledge in a particular field are intelligent. People who join a club because they think they are intelligent aren't particularly. The biggest load of wasters going tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

No interest since
    That was the under 18s branch. maybe it's different for the adult one but I wouldn't be interested

Any particular reason they were dicks to you? that you're aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

mackg wrote: »
    Any particular reason they were dicks to you? that you're aware of.

They were clearly intimidated by her intelligence!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I was a member - very pleasant group of people but it just wasn't for me.

If you lack intelligent (educated / well-read etc ) conversation in your work and social life, then I can see how valuable it would be to have as an outlet, but if you have that in your life anyway, I don't think it adds anything really.

It's basically like a rarefied MeetUp.

You just have to view it in the context that until recently there was a serious strain of anti-intellectualism in parts of Irish society, and there weren't that many outlets for people who were particularly intelligent/educated/well-read.

The internet has probably taken a lot of the purpose out of Mensa.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I was a member - very pleasant group of people but it just wasn't for me.

If you lack intelligent (educated / well-read etc ) conversation in your work and social life, then I can see how valuable it would be to have as an outlet, but if you have that in your life anyway, I don't think it adds anything really.

It's basically like a rarefied MeetUp.

You just have to view it in the context that until recently there was a serious strain of anti-intellectualism in parts of Irish society, and there weren't that many outlets for people who were particularly intelligent/educated/well-read.

The internet has probably taken a lot of the purpose out of Mensa.

Ireland has a long history of intellectualism. You're not looking hard enough.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ireland has a long history of intellectualism. You're not looking hard enough.

S/he said parts of society were anti intellectual. Not the whole of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement