Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mensa - anybody here joined.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Turtwig wrote: »
    S/he said parts of society were anti intellectual. Not the whole of it.

The same with any society. The universities are the place to go for intellectualism. They actually research things and further our knowledge in particular areas. That's a sign of true intelligence IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Disagree, many university academics are patently stupid.

True intelligence encompasses knowledge, creativity, reasoning, empathy, etc.

Well I can assure you the academics who shaped my knowledge of science were anything but stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mensa has a disproportionate amount of virgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Empathy? Is this not considered emotional? Why would it be considered in Intellectual evaluation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What IQ score do you need to join?

bitemeluis wrote: »
    Empathy? Is this not considered emotional? Why would it be considered in Intellectual evaluation?

If you can't assess emotional cues then you're clearly lacking in a mode of intelligence. Emotional intelligence, or whatever the scientific term for it is, is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If you can't assess emotional cues then you're clearly lacking in a mode of intelligence. Emotional intelligence, or whatever the scientific term for it is, is very important.

I wonder how much "emotional intelligence" bill gates and donald trump have then :pac: .. Don't think that stopped either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I wonder how much "emotional intelligence" bill gates and donald trump have then :pac: .. Don't think that stopped either.

So wealth=intelligence.

Why didn't you point out this magic formula before.

Anybody have a link for an IQ test that isn't a scam?

Just did one and was then asked to pay (surely I have a high IQ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Quazzie wrote: »
    So wealth=intelligence.

Why didn't you point out this magic formula before.

Highly sarcastic of you my good man.
    I did say Bill Gates and Donald Trump. Not Katie Price and Paris Hilton. But read what you want to read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What IQ score do you need to join?

There are a couple different tests with different scales. I think the common one at the moment has 140+ as the criterion but some are 150+. Not that they're harder, I think they just scale it differently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

bluewolf wrote: »
    There are a couple different tests with different scales. I think the common one at the moment has 140+ as the criterion but some are 150+. Not that they're harder, I think they just scale it differently

I think it's something like you have to be in the 98th percentile, and on some tests that's 140, on others that's 150 or more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Deenie123 wrote: »
    I think it's something like you have to be in the 98th percentile, and on some tests that's 140, on others that's 150 or more.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say. Clearly need coffee :cool:

I think my problem with a group like Mensa is that their existence is pointless outside of bragging rights. If you want to be a part of an exclusive group do something that requires intelligence. Publish a paper, further our knowledge or help cure a disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

steddyeddy wrote: »
    do something that requires intelligence. Publish a paper, further our knowledge or help cure a disease.

if you are not in research, how can you publish a paper
    or cure a disease even

small bit short sighted I reckon

Ellie O'Byrne, the journalist from the examiner who wrote the piece on Mensa is not much of a journalist if you ask me.
    she claims to have qualified for membership but she won't go the extra step and cough up fifty odd euro for membership

does the examiner pay so little for articles that she cant afford a measly few quid that would enable her to write a follow-up article
    what a waster !!!

or else she's a total bulls**tter

lanos wrote: »
    if you are not in research, how can you publish a paper
    or cure a disease even

small bit short sighted I reckon

Ellie O'Byrne, the journalist from the examiner who wrote the piece on Mensa is not much of a journalist if you ask me.
    she claims to have qualified for membership but she won't go the extra step and cough up fifty odd euro for membership

does the examiner pay so little for articles that she cant afford a measly few quid that would enable her to write a follow-up article
    what a waster !!!

or else she's a total bulls**tter

If you're (not you people in general) are so intelligent then nothing is stopping you entering research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Maybe the lady in question is highly intelligent, but she's certainly not good at punctuation. Or writing.

I don't read Irish press much anymore but every time I do there's a horrific amount of basic punctuation and grammatical errors. Seriously, do they even hire editors anymore?

I wonder what Mensa make about the recently elucidated fact that IQ isn't fixed.

If you're (not you people in general) are so intelligent then nothing is stopping you entering research.

Post-docs are notoriously badly paid for research these days. They are paid substantially sub-50k per annum for a short term contact in an open-plan office. Why would anyone do it.
    However, industry driven R&D is a different matter entirely, but we're not talking about that are we ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I wonder what Mensa make about the recently elucidated fact that IQ isn't fixed.

You should probably join and then ask them about that at a meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Here's a MENSA quiz to test yourself.

https://www.mensa.org/workout/questions

Painful goddamn things!

Stupid shapes and number sequences!

I got 27/30 right.

OneArt wrote: »
    Maybe the lady in question is highly intelligent, but she's certainly not good at punctuation. Or writing.

I don't read Irish press much anymore but every time I do there's a horrific amount of basic punctuation and grammatical errors. Seriously, do they even hire editors anymore?

I agree
    It was bloody painful to read.
    And her declaration that she was asked to write the article.
    Why would she say this ?
    It reminds me of presidential or Seanad candidates who declare:
    I was approached and requested to run (BTW I'm not vain)
    LIES
    I reckon she failed miserably.

Is that not one of the points of the organisations: flexing your IQ and improving it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Apparently, I was subjected to a number of intelligence tests as a child as I was being examined for having many traits that were typical of higher functioning autism. (I was later diagnosed as having Asperger's Syndrome aged 22 but that's a story for a different thread)
    I can't quite recall my exact I.Q score but according to my mother, it was high enough that one of the many child psychologists I was dealing with at the time strongly suggested that I was a candidate for Mensa.
    My mother, however, was worried that I would be entering into a society that would see me being outcast from so-called "neurotypical" society and feared that by joining I would be missing out on developing normally so she declined the offer.
    I often wonder if if would've made a difference to my life had I grown up in that certain intellectual circle but I can understand my mother's reasoning- she wanted me to have as normal an upbringing as possible-so I can't begrudge her that.
    From what I'm told, there seems to be a high proportion of Mensa members that end up killing themselves due to feeling that they don't fit in to regular society.
    Something to think about in any case...

Deenie123 wrote: »
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I was trying to say. Clearly need coffee :cool:

Aww I was really hoping one of ye'd use the example of scales of 1 to 10 and 1 to 11. Cos you know 11!

Post-docs are notoriously badly paid for research these days. They are paid substantially sub-50k per annum for a short term contact in an open-plan office. Why would anyone do it.
    However, industry driven R&D is a different matter entirely, but we're not talking about that are we ?

Not everyone finds it easy to achieve 50k per annum despite their intellectual ability. The snobbery in your post is beyond offensive.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Not everyone finds it easy to achieve 50k per annum despite their intellectual ability. The snobbery in your post is beyond offensive.
    You're a very sensitive person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Someone quoted this earlier.

• Advertisement

Because they love research maybe :S. There is R and D initiatives outside industry and academia is starting to lead the way again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement