Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Sales Down As Dickheads Migrate To Craft Beers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

yipeeeee wrote: »
    I think its the word craft that irritates me when I hear **** going on about it.
    It's the use of the term Cask Ale for absolutely everything that isn't mainstream that irks me. I like this beer or that beer and distrust the opinion of people who use popular umbrella terms to describe what they like. The same sort of people that say they like weissbier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

It seem like the new thing to "hate on" is Craft Beer and people that like it.

However I have yet to drink with anyone who talks about it endlessly like some people would have you believe.
    Hugely agreed.
    You might get someone suggesting you try a certain beer and say they prefer the taste. Do people get this irate about people that suggest you try a new food?
    Yes, unfortunately.

I like any beer I like the taste of, whether that be big name ones (I quite like Heineken/Carlsberg, but Bud/Carling are pish IMO), less "big name" ones (like Tyskie, and I love the Asian ones) or craft beers. I don't like weissbeers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

humbert wrote: »
    It's the use of the term Cask Ale for absolutely everything that isn't mainstream that irks me.
    Genuinely my first time hearing of the term "cask ale".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Trappist beers are the best. Gulden Drak is an incredible Belgian strong dark ale, ditto for the Chimay range. I just feel...so cultural. I very much like American craft beers, there is more variety but you also tend to get more sh1t. The Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout is highly recommended. I could never return to ordinary beer after drinking craft beers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

One thing that craft beers exposed was how utterly disgusting Heineken is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Great article. :)

There are some painful beer aficionados and snobs alright but people that swear blind by something like Guinness or Carlsberg and say so called craft beers and stouts are all sh1t are equally as irritating.

Craft beer is an annoying phrase too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I don't understand people who get offended by people drinking stuff that isn't Heineken, Budweiser, Coors etc. And bizarre comments like "Craft beer is undrinkable piss"...?

The place I play snooker in has a little bar with the usual stuff on tap and I have no problem drinking it, but if I'm in a place that has bottles of nice "different" stuff, I'll go for that.

Some people scoff if you buy a bottle of Erdinger ffs, like you are dickhead because you order a "fancy" German beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Why drink beer when whiskey exists

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

humbert wrote: »
    It's the use of the term Cask Ale for absolutely everything that isn't mainstream that irks me. I like this beer or that beer and distrust the opinion of people who use popular umbrella terms to describe what they like. The same sort of people that say they like weissbier.

Not sure if serious. Will bite anyway:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cask_ale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Craft beers are ****e.

If they were any good there be a huge demand for them and they'd be mass produced.

By that token, One Direction and The Sun are cultural high water marks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

That Waterford Whispers website is really unfunny.

Edit: Granted, I'm basing this on 2 articles I've read. And not the one included in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Craft beers are ****e.

If they were any good there be a huge demand for them and they'd be mass produced.
    I nearly broke my nose face-palming.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

How will you know if someone drinks craft beers?

Don't worry, they'll tell you

They'll f**king tell you

How do you know someone doesn't drink craft beers?

They start bitching the moment they're mentioned ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Love craft bears myself as once you drink them everything else tastes like piss. Here waterford we have a great Craft Bear called metal man and its just fantastic its on draft in the pubs as you cant buy it in the shops but the amount of people i made drink it and now cant drink the other stuff grows by the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I've no problem drinking Heineken on a night out but you can't beat the variety of craft beers or various international beers.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Love craft bears myself as once you drink them everything else tastes like piss. Here waterford we have a great Craft Bear called metal man and its just fantastic its on draft in the pubs as you cant buy it in the shops but the amount of people i made drink it and now cant drink the other stuff grows by the day
    Dungarvan do some great beers down that way as well.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I'm dieing to try some of this Cobbler's Knob 7.6% any place that sells it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm dieing to try some of this Cobbler's Knob 7.6% any place that sells it?

There's a place on Harcourt Street, but it's a bit of a mouthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Not sure if serious. Will bite anyway:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cask_ale
    It was semi-serious but I'm not sure what the point your making is? (genuine question).

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

I love the local beer in Tenerife (Dorada). Very nice stuff! I also like Alhambra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a place on Harcourt Street, but it's a bit of a mouthful.

The Bishop's Finger is nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭emo72

fer ****s sake lads. the craft beers are lovely. doesnt make you a dickhead..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

emo72 wrote: »
    fer ****s sake lads. the craft beers are lovely. doesnt make you a dickhead..

Craft beers - Obscure ****e with a shelf life shorter than skimmed milk. Usually presented in a bottle that looks like it was designed by 7 year olds high on crystal meth. Most craft beers taste like a mixture of piss and sam adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The micro brewery movement are more or less filling the void left from decades ago when Guinness bought out nearly every local brewery in sight, discontinued their product and correct me if i am wrong destroyed any trace of branding and ads by them. We had more diversity of local beers before WW2 than we had 10-15 years ago for feck sake. The fact the US, the land of the big 3 and pissy light beers has a far maturer mircro brewering industry says it all really.

Germany doesn't have a huge craft beer movement by the way, a lot to do with their purity laws. Still have plenty of variety of beers good beers though.

I will say that the level of ****e talk with craft beer gets on my nerves though, as far i am concerned you either think a beer you try tastes nice and you'd go for it again or you don't. Stop pandering about "notes", brewing processes and that stuff, all that stuff is for brewers to be bothered about.

Snobs are right about heineken though, its rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Craft beers - Obscure ****e with a shelf life shorter than skimmed milk. Usually presented in a bottle that looks like it was designed by 7 year olds high on crystal meth. Most craft beers taste like a mixture of piss and sam adams.

I will take something that tastes like a mixture of piss and sam adams over something that taste like a mixture of watered down piss, or just piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was in the Yard House, Irvine during the summer and they had 100+ craft beers on tap. The bar is huge! It's like an island you'd have in your kitchen and you walk around it to pick what beer you want. Unfortunately I was driving so I was stuck with coke but to be honest, I wouldn't have known where to begin. The others loved trying loads of different beers! Everyone was buying different ones so others could taste them.

I drink Miller in the pubs but prefer Erdinger. I drink Desperados in Spain and America and Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy when in America too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭emo72

No. You have no idea what you are talking about. Craft beers don't need a long shelf life. Because they are drank straight away. Dungarvan brewery stuff is gorgeous. O Hara stuff in aldi is gorgeous too. No problems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Don't especially get why some folk get so annoyed about it, like a healthy growing indigenous brewing industry is a bad thing or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

That Waterford Whispers website is really unfunny.

Edit: Granted, I'm basing this on 2 articles I've read. And not the one included in the OP.

What people like about it is that it's based on topics and characters that are relatable. I find the headlines to be better than the stories with the exception of the Jamie Lonergan pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

lbj666 wrote: »
    I will take something that tastes like a mixture of piss and sam adams over something that taste like a mixture of watered down piss, or just piss.

So, you like to drink p1ss. I rather not drink either of the above.

Advertisement