Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Sales Down As Dickheads Migrate To Craft Beers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

emo72 wrote: »
    No. You have no idea what you are talking about. Craft beers don't need a long shelf life. Because they are drank straight away. Dungarvan brewery stuff is gorgeous. O Hara stuff in aldi is gorgeous too. No problems.

Whatever, p1ss water. Craft beers are the necter of hipster a$$holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

marco_polo wrote: »
    Don't especially get why some folk get so annoyed about it, like a healthy growing indigenous brewing industry is a bad thing or something.
    ...and the variety is most welcome.

Nothing worse than heading into a place and glancing at the taps and seeing the usual Diageo stuff...and just bottles of Miller and that new rubbish Canadian beer in the fridge...

I think these posters saying "oooh a craft beer is ****e" (and by "craft" they probably mean anything that's not mass-produced Dutch/Irish stuff), probably work in the industry and don't want things to change...so Paddy drinks nothing but a pint of the black stuff, Jonno drinks his Bud, and Fintan sticks to his Heino.

Do these people honestly believe a pint of Heineken is nicer than a bottle of Franziskaner or Spaten? They can't!

KungPao wrote: »
    ...and the variety is most welcome.

Nothing worse than heading into a place and glancing at the taps and seeing the usual Diageo stuff...and just bottles of Miller and that new rubbish Canadian beer in the fridge...

I think these posters saying "oooh a craft beer is ****e" (and by "craft" they probably mean anything that's not mass-produced Dutch/Irish stuff), probably work in the industry and don't want things to change...so Paddy drinks nothing but a pint of the black stuff, Jonno drinks his Bud, and Fintan sticks to his Heino.

Do these people honestly believe a pint of Heineken is nicer than a bottle of Franziskaner or Spaten? They can't!

You'll be claiming that Paulaner is potable next...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I like Heineken...

I like NZ Heineken but I hate the Dutch stuff, its seriously different down here.

You'll be claiming that Paulaner is potable next...
    Yeah...you're obviously on a windup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Whatever, p1ss water. Craft beers are the necter of hipster a$$holes.

Other way around.

Hipster a$$holes are the bane of the decent craft beer pub.

My local has 6 taps, keeps 2 dedicated and consistent, then varies the other 4 on a weekly/fortnightly basis.
    It's great, the dedicated taps have constant good tasty beer and the variety of being able to try a new beer everytime I go there keeps it fresh.

I can only go on weekdays though. Hipsters ruin it at the weekends.

"Ya, very hoppy", "like you can really taste the wild hibiscus notes" - GTFO

"Like that one" and "not a fan" are the only two remarks really needed.

That said, I really haven't had a terrible one there yet, there was one cocoa stout that I really was not a fan of, but I haven't seen it back there since.:)

KungPao wrote: »
    Yeah...you're obviously on a windup.

You like paulaner...**** is worse than erdinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

is there any craft beer that tastes of anything other than excessive hops?

You like paulaner...**** is worse than erdinger.
    I like lots of beers.

Paulaner is good, as is Erdinger, Franziskaner is better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

People losing the run of themselves with their fancy beers. Yet another sign that the Celtic tiger is coming back. They'll all be getting new decking next, mark my words.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    People losing the run of themselves with their fancy beers. Yet another sign that the Celtic tiger is coming back. They'll all be getting new decking next, mark my words.
    I know you're joking but you remind me of last weekend...I was with a friend and decided to have a quick drink, he was buying. He orders a pint of Heino and I ask for an Erdinger...he's like "**** sake, buying fancy expensive **** on my round"...it was 5 cents extra. 5 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Craft beer is grand, it's the bars that change their taps constantly to accommodate different ones every week that piss me off, that plus the general sh1te atmosphere which pervades these places. I spent a Saturday night in Mulligans in Stoneybatter recently, this is supposedly a brilliant little "hidden gem" in Dublin, absolutely poison atmosphere and staff who seemed to be more concerned about sh1te ironic moustache maintenance than the customers.

I enjoy the beers, it's the bullsh1t that goes with it that pisses me off. Give me a boozer with a good atmosphere and genuine people with Guinness, Heineken Bud etc on tap over a Mulligans, PMacs or Blackbird type noncefest any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Would the in-house brews in JW Sweetmans be considered craft beers considering they've been brewed on site?:confused:
    Also on the subject: Why why WHY did they get rid of the Bock blend? It was gorgeous- malty, caramelly porter with a 6.5% content and at €4 a pint I could get nicely tipsy for €20.
    *sigh*

McChubbin wrote: »
    Would the in-house brews in JW Sweetmans be considered craft beers considering they've been brewed on site?:confused:
    Also on the subject: Why why WHY did they get rid of the Bock blend? It was gorgeous- malty, caramelly porter with a 6.5% content and at €4 a pint I could get nicely tipsy for €20.
    *sigh*

From what i've experienced, Sweetman's and Porterhouses own brand beers are completely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

That Waterford Whispers website is really unfunny.

Edit: Granted, I'm basing this on 2 articles I've read. And not the one included in the OP.

Some of them are alright. This ones my favorite from a while back

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/07/11/irish-garth-brooks-fan-self-immolates-in-concert-protest-graphic-content/

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Craft beers - Obscure ****e with a shelf life shorter than skimmed milk. Usually presented in a bottle that looks like it was designed by 7 year olds high on crystal meth. Most craft beers taste like a mixture of piss and sam adams.
    From what i've experienced, Sweetman's and Porterhouses own brand beers are completely terrible.

Taste may be subjective, but both of these posts are objectively wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Craft beers - Obscure ****e with a shelf life shorter than skimmed milk. Usually presented in a bottle that looks like it was designed by 7 year olds high on crystal meth. Most craft beers taste like a mixture of piss and sam adams.

You sound eleven. "Herpy derpy, you like a fingie wot I don't like, herpitty derpitty derp."

Turpentine wrote: »
    Taste may be subjective, but both of these posts are objectively wrong.

From my experience? I wasn't being objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Lots of craft beer is lovely, some of it isn't great but falls under the craft banner so seems to escape criticism.

I've never thought the mainstream beers tasted like pi$$ either, then don't taste of much at all really, which makes them easy to drink.

What I think is funny is when people go on and on about a beer that comes from another country and isn't well known, so there is a hint of sophistication from it, but it's actually a mass-produced beer in its own country.

I've seen this a few times with people going on about Asahi Super Dry or Kirin from Japan, despite the fact that they are the Japanese equivalent of Heineken or Carlsberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I'll stick to the bulmers.

You can't beat the old Clonmel Champagne. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

is there any craft beer that tastes of anything other than excessive hops?

Apart from Stout/Red Ales theres probably not a huge amount of variety amongst Irish craft brewers outside of hoppy IPAs/Pale Ales etc, but a few are branching out a bit adding lagers / wheat beers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

What? Porterhouse do some damn fine stuff

osarusan wrote: »
    I've seen this a few times with people going on about Asahi Super Dry or Kirin from Japan, despite the fact that they are the Japanese equivalent of Heineken or Carlsberg.

Couple that with the fact that the Kirin you get over here is brewed in Bedford in the UK. That, Asahi (brewed by Sheaperd Neame in the UK), Sapporo, it's generic lager.

Now, talk to me about Hitachino Nest, they do some amazing stuff ;)
    Or Yona Yona Ale

Links234 wrote: »
    What? Porterhouse do some damn fine stuff

Like what? Off the top of my head i've head Plain, Oyster, Hop Head and Chiller from their taps and they've been ok flavour wise but flat as fck. I'd prefer a fresh pint of the standard beers from good taps tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Considering that Diageo, Heineken and Bulmers had vice-like grips on publicans for years, craft beers have been associated with an almost anti-establishment buzz In Ireland.

I love the Plain, Wrastlers, Choc Truffle Stout (oh my god, a chocolate stout that actually taste of chocolate, I am in heaven!) and I can't remember the name of their cask ale, was it TSB? Wouldn't call them flat, but honestly a porter or stout, they'd be generally not as gassy as your average lager.

Links234 wrote: »
    I love the Plain, Wrastlers, Choc Truffle Stout (oh my god, a chocolate stout that actually taste of chocolate, I am in heaven!) and I can't remember the name of their cask ale, was it TSB? Wouldn't call them flat, but honestly a porter or stout, they'd be generally not as gassy as your average lager.

I must try that chocolate stout. You can get a stout that goes flat fairly quickly imo as in it loses its creaminess. I think the same could be said of a lot of craft beers on tap here, some of them would be more suited to a half or glass. Its something which is at odds with our drinking culture unfortunately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

humbert wrote: »
    It was semi-serious but I'm not sure what the point your making is? (genuine question).

Cask is a specific brewing and serving method. How could you have a problem with someone describing ale as cask when that's exactly what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A shocking amount of people in this thread seem to have drank piss/know what it tastes like. Worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 DiegoCosta

Nothing new here, men are second class citizens.

Advertisement