Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Mythbuster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Well this has gone horifically off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

with any software update they need to change it that it auto-detects a leap card, and changes the fare options automatically, rather than the current setup which afaik involves the driver switching repeatedly between cash and leap manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

with any software update they need to change it that it auto-detects a leap card, and changes the fare options automatically, rather than the current setup which afaik involves the driver switching repeatedly between cash and leap manually.

machine does change itself just takes so long.

There are too many fares. Machines need to be updated. Increase memory.

Card is put on then it has to read card/load and then display leap fare.

People who have loaded ramblers and use them the old ones stay on card and this slows it all even more as these are read and then on to next rambler and so on till it finds one with days on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

Arcto wrote: »
    Well this has gone horifically off topic.

could be be the posters who bitch about dublin bus have had their eyes opened and have had a road to damascus moment?
    has it dawned on them their gripes are beyond the control of dublin bus and some might even be of their own making.

the number of anti dublin bus posts has plummeted, it has deprived drivers of a few laughs in the canteen, but thats a price worth paying to end the ignorance of some posters.

as i have stated before ask your questions, and i will answer.
    not many questions asked, is it because you already know the answers and they dont back up the anti dublin bus stance of some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

It'd be nice to know the planned changes to the 14. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

Who is correct above ; when will new GPS_enabled machines be on the buses . Alek's comments seem to contradict the others ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

s8080 wrote: »
    could be be the posters who bitch about dublin bus have had their eyes opened and have had a road to damascus moment?
    No

More likely that the company itself may talk constructively to the passengers.

If the lads in the canteen are feeling left out, let them read these

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40dublinbusnews&src=typd

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Stevek101 wrote: »
    It'd be nice to know the planned changes to the 14. :pac:

Increased running time at certain times of the day.

Mornings northbound and afternoons southbound in particular.

Some trips are having to go empty to Donnycarney Church from Beaumont in the morning to get back on time, while some northbound trips in the afternoon/evening are having to miss Ballinteer or go into set down only mode to get back on schedule.

Same problem (poor running time) with the 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

trellheim wrote: »
    Who is correct above ; when will new GPS_enabled machines be on the buses . Alek's comments seem to contradict the others ?

To clarify: The Automatic Stage Updating will commence Q1 2015 (Feb ?).
    This is on the existing Wayfarer TGX 150 platform,which is compatible with GPS anyway.

The issue of NEW machines is,as yet,in abeyance,pending the securing of specific funding .

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the number of anti dublin bus posts has plummeted

when did that happen:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The 386EX issue is but one of the restrictions on it's performance,as is a 1Mbyte memory limit

The address bus of the 386EX is 26-bit, so it's well capable of addressing more.

Seriously though I think this is the first time I've seen the 386EX discussed in 10+ years, and by a bus driver too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

I was only thinking the same thing , jaysus a 386 memory limit issue its 1990 again. Are the wayfarers that old ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

trellheim wrote: »
    I was only thinking the same thing , jaysus a 386 memory limit issue its 1990 again. Are the wayfarers that old ?

Brought out in 1999. It is common practice to use older chipsets in these sort of devices, more reliable and cheaper.

If you think that is bad the Wayfarer 3 that Bus Eireann are slowly replacing with the TGX150 uses a module about 3/4 the size of a cigarette packet. Memory capacity: 256k

What is even worse is that it is a better machine to use than the TGX, quicker, more reliable and has no lag on pressing buttons. A TGX loaded with a long complex route can take several seconds just to advance a stage, brutal machines.

Both companies need to look at other suppliers, far better more integrated products for both simple city routes and more involved network fares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

has it dawned on them their gripes are beyond the control of dublin bus and some might even be of their own making.

the number of anti dublin bus posts has plummeted, it has deprived drivers of a few laughs in the canteen, but thats a price worth paying to end the ignorance of some posters.

as i have stated before ask your questions, and i will answer.
    not many questions asked, is it because you already know the answers and they dont back up the anti dublin bus stance of some people?

Listen mate I'm sure you're a nice person and the idea here is constructive but your attitude is poor.

I think the central element of your poor attitude was this line; "I try make as much money as possible for my company"

Now this is fine if working in the private sector because that's essentially the goal for a private company, but you don't work for one. You work for a public service which means The goal is to provide the best possible service to all public transport users regardless of how empty or full the bus is, the type of customer using it, or how the weather is.

I'll say it again, the cheek I've seen from bus drivers would not be tolerated in any other country. This goes for a lot of CIE employees, general rude backtalk, poor attitude to customer issues and instruction.

In the UK it's much more positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Mahogany wrote: »
    Listen mate I'm sure you're a nice person and the idea here is constructive but your attitude is poor.

You are really in no position to moan about anyone else's attitude here, several posters have gone out of their way to try to provide you with the best advice on how you can get the best value on your bus travel only to get childish moans in return. I'd have finished bothering several posts back myself.
    I think the central element of your poor attitude was this line; "I try make as much money as possible for my company"

Now this is fine if working in the private sector because that's essentially the goal for a private company, but you don't work for one. You work for a public service which means The goal is to provide the best possible service to all public transport users regardless of how empty or full the bus is, the type of customer using it, or how the weather is.

Dublin Bus is not a charity, Just because it is a publicly owned company doesn't mean there is any special dispensation for people to not pay the correct fares. A majority of the companies revenue comes from fares so they and their employees are perfectly entitled to ensure they get all the revenue due to them in fares. Considering s8080 will have taken a pay cut recently due to the worsening finances of his employer it seems like a simple act of self preservation to take the attitude that he is not willing to let customers away with not paying their due fares.
    I'll say it again, the cheek I've seen from bus drivers would not be tolerated in any other country. This goes for a lot of CIE employees, general rude backtalk, poor attitude to customer issues and instruction.

I don't have any reason to put any stock in your opinion based on your posts in this thread.
    If an assistant in Tesco were to say things like; "Not my problem" "Don't get cheeky with me"

Sounds very much like someone giving a curt response to someone giving them bad attitude. Treat people with disrespect and then get uppity because they give it back to you, that is the way of the world.

I have always taken the approach that people should be treated with respect but it not unconditional. If somebody approaches me with aggression or attitude I will pause and give them an opportunity to change their attitude, after all people have bad days and get wound up. However if they continue with the attitude things will go downhill for them very swiftly.

I am paid to drive a bus, take fares, give out information and a few other things. I am NOT paid to take abuse off anyone or be a sounding board for anyones issues and that includes issues with the bus service at large. If people have questions about problems with the service I will answer if I can otherwise direct them to someone else who can help them.

I have no interest in listening to rants and raves, not only do I rarely have any way of dealing with whatever problems people have but it also interferes with my actual job and the transportation of other passengers and besides there is a complaints department for to deal with complaints/rants/raves, etc. Not only is it not my job but I do not go to any one else's workplace and treat them with disrespect so I expect the same from you and everyone else .

No it really isn't. Transport workers there are no more inclined to put up with sh!t from the public than they are here. As for making money you'd be hard pressed to find a more cutthroat outfit than Stagecoach or First Bus.

Peppa Pig wrote: »

If the lads in the canteen are feeling left out

im touched by your concern, but as long as you keep posting here we will be amused

i never posted that

the lack of any type of policing of transport services over here has led to pig ignorant behaviour from some passengers, you would not see it in any other country.

if you are nice to the driver they will be nice to you, if you are being a prick, dont be so suprised when the driver is the same back. Driver is not payed for you to have a go at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

i never posted that

I did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Tow

n97 mini wrote: »
    The address bus of the 386EX is 26-bit, so it's well capable of addressing more.

I believe 64Meg, according to the specs.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Wikipedia says the address bus is 26 bit but it's actually 25, and the data bus is 16 bits. 2^25 16-bit words equals 64 megabytes.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I have always taken the approach that people should be treated with respect but it not unconditional. If somebody approaches me with aggression or attitude I will pause and give them an opportunity to change their attitude, after all people have bad days and get wound up. However if they continue with the attitude things will go downhill for them very swiftly.

Fight fire with fire, very mature.

I can say what I like by the way, it's a public forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CVH24

Fight fire with fire, very mature.

I can say what I like by the way, it's a public forum :D

Do you think people who work with a public interface are are there to be abused, a sound board for your aggression, people can say and do what they want but that comes with consequences, vic-08 never said how it would do down hill. So do not think you or I can read his actions from this!

CVH24 wrote: »
    Do you think people who work with a public interface are are there to be abused, a sound board for your aggression, people can say and do what they want but that comes with consequences, vic-08 never said how it would do down hill. So do not think you or I can read his actions from this!

Obviously not, but again I'm going to use the example of my brother who was left off 4 stops AFTER his stop because the driver didn't believe he was 15.

Poor customer service, as well as being a petty man. Which again I will say, would get you fired in most other jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CVH24

I do remember than story on here, I would say the best place for that is the complaints department of Dublin Bus, the internal procedures of any organisation then take over and I would expect a letter or call from that department to say action had been taken but that to the public eye is where i would expect it to end.

I must say that of my travels I would put it down as an isolated incident, I am not judging either side but I would say 99.9% of passengers are good eggs, only wanting to go a to b, but I have seen the odd side of the coin too there is a good youtube on of a women on the bus from athlone, as the driver trys to speak to her, she tells him to do his job and drive. People come in all shapes and sides, nice not so nice. Life!

Obviously not, but again I'm going to use the example of my brother who was left off 4 stops AFTER his stop because the driver didn't believe he was 15.

Poor customer service, as well as being a petty man. Which again I will say, would get you fired in most other jobs.

So do you judge a company that employs maybe 1,500 drivers based on one driver being an ass?

Did your brother report the incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

the lack of any type of policing of transport services over here has led to pig ignorant behaviour from some passengers, you would not see it in any other country.

if you are nice to the driver they will be nice to you, if you are being a prick, dont be so suprised when the driver is the same back. Driver is not payed for you to have a go at them.

Too many dirt birds on Dublin Bus nowadays. Welfare passes don't help.

Too many dirt birds on Dublin Bus nowadays. Welfare passes don't help.

Is that not a problem for Irish society rather than the bus company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

lxflyer wrote: »
    Is that not a problem for Irish society rather than the bus company?

Yes, it is. Dublin Bus should not have to honour any welfare pass holder who is a dirt bird.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is. Dublin Bus should not have to honour any welfare pass holder who is a dirt bird.

Well perhaps you should be lobbying your TD?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement