Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Mythbuster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

cdebru wrote: »
    my opinion is that they should just be honest and redo schedules better to have 4 definite departures an hour then pretend you have 6, but DB management claim they are no longer in charge, that it is the NTA that call the shots, hard to know if it is completely true or buck passing or a mixture.
    This is really the crux of a lot of problems.

If you buy Christmas presents online from somewhere that promises delivery in time for Christmas, and they don't turn up in time, you don't really care if it's down to sickness, internal company disputes, regulatory issues, postal delays, bad weather, gremlins, whatever. You were promised a service which wasn't delivered.

At the end of the day, I'm a customer of Dublin Bus. If there's a million things going on in the background - political issues, funding cuts, internal disputes, whatever - I don't care. I'm just trying to get to and from work.

It's been a long standing joke that you can spot tourists in Dublin, because they're the ones reading the bus timetables. Real time should have gone some way towards mitigating the timetable issues, but there's too many caveats for it to be reliable.

DB are the ones running the service, DB are the ones advertising the service on timetables and RTPI. If those fail to agree on a regular basis, the buck stops with DB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

MOH wrote: »
    This is really the crux of a lot of problems.

If you buy Christmas presents online from somewhere that promises delivery in time for Christmas, and they don't turn up in time, you don't really care if it's down to sickness, internal company disputes, regulatory issues, postal delays, bad weather, gremlins, whatever. You were promised a service which wasn't delivered.

At the end of the day, I'm a customer of Dublin Bus. If there's a million things going on in the background - political issues, funding cuts, internal disputes, whatever - I don't care. I'm just trying to get to and from work.

It's been a long standing joke that you can spot tourists in Dublin, because they're the ones reading the bus timetables. Real time should have gone some way towards mitigating the timetable issues, but there's too many caveats for it to be reliable.

DB are the ones running the service, DB are the ones advertising the service on timetables and RTPI. If those fail to agree on a regular basis, the buck stops with DB.

I understand what you are saying but to continue your analogy if the company you bought the presents gave them to a courier with what should be ample time to deliver said presents but customs hold them for inspection for a week do you blame the company ? The courier ? Or the customs IMO if you just blame the company you are cursing the dark.

The reason for these timetables that are unworkable is the trying to get a square peg into a round hole by cutting services and trying to pretend you can deliver something approximating the previous service you can't ? Yes you can on paper but on paper you can get a bus from tallaght to Clarehall in 20 minutes if you want but in reality it can't be done. A lot of these timetables are works of fiction so that they can be handed to local politicians or groups and say look you will still have a bus every 10 minutes, but that is not just Dublin Bus they are just the monkeys in this mess the organ grinder is the NTA they are the ones setting service levels and approving timetables but as with all these structures it is largely about removing responsibility from anyone in particular so it is smoke and mirrors the minister can point to the NTA who in turn point to DB who point back at the NTA, and then you just give up.

I understand what you are saying but to continue your analogy if the company you bought the presents gave them to a courier with what should be ample time to deliver said presents but customs hold them for inspection for a week do you blame the company ? The courier ? Or the customs IMO if you just blame the company you are cursing the dark.

If presents.ie is advertising “order now for delivery to Dublin by Christmas”, and seem to be Irish based but behind the scenes they’re actually dropshipping and sourcing the stuff from China, and it gets stuck in customs or the courier is late and they miss delivery, it’s still on them. Particularly if they know their delivery schedule is unrealistic but they continue to promote it anyway. I don’t know or care about any of that.

If they keep doing it, I stop doing business with them and shop somewhere else. So do a lot of others. If their response is to carry on as they were and keep increasing their prices to make up for the lost customers, they go out of business. So it’s not really a great analogy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You guys are losing yourselves in your analogies.

But if the presents were coming from India not China, what then ?????

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    So assuming it IS DB's fault....what would a suggested solution be ?
    Maybe not change a cross-city service to a city centre terminating service during rush hour? On a route that's already well served by other services terminating in the centre? Might be a start. And it's not the first time it's happened, they even did it a few times during the reduced summer timetable leading to gaps up to three times the scheduled time between buses.

But if the presents were coming from India not China, what then ?????

The point is, every service you deal with has internal issues, relies on external providers, has to deal with legislative restrictions. It's part of doing business in any sector.

It's up to the service provider to take those factors into account when advertising the service to their customers. If those factors change, they need to update their promised service levels accordingly.

The customer doesn't care, nor should they even be aware of what's going on behind the scenes.

Advertising bus services as running at a certain frequency or at certain times, failing to deliver, and then telling customers go and blame everyone else, it's not our fault is just farcical.

(Though it is sadly typical of a lot of things in this country, everyone just waves their hands and blames someone else. No one is ever held accountable for failing to do their job or live up to their promises. But that's no excuse for DB)

MOH wrote: »
    Maybe not change a cross-city service to a city centre terminating service during rush hour? On a route that's already well served by other services terminating in the centre? Might be a start. And it's not the first time it's happened, they even did it a few times during the reduced summer timetable leading to gaps up to three times the scheduled time between buses.

The point is, every service you deal with has internal issues, relies on external providers, has to deal with legislative restrictions. It's part of doing business in any sector.

It's up to the service provider to take those factors into account when advertising the service to their customers. If those factors change, they need to update their promised service levels accordingly.

The customer doesn't care, nor should they even be aware of what's going on behind the scenes.

Advertising bus services as running at a certain frequency or at certain times, failing to deliver, and then telling customers go and blame everyone else, it's not our fault is just farcical.

(Though it is sadly typical of a lot of things in this country, everyone just waves their hands and blames someone else. No one is ever held accountable for failing to do their job or live up to their promises. But that's no excuse for DB)

Yes and without getting into a maze of analogies but what if you are simply not allowed to tell the truth ? What if due to political and regulatory interference they want to enforce the pretence of unachieveable service levels ?
    See if you actually produce a timetable with less departures, lets say going from 6 an hour to 4 an hour, then you are putting it in writing that you are reducing the service and the inevitable pressure comes on from residents to their local politicians and it moves along until the decision is reversed, and we return to the 6 departures an hour, the obvious solution is you put in the resources to provide 6 services an hour but that costs money so that is not happening so we instead try and squeeze 6 departures out of the resources for 4 and someone parks a car in the wrong place and the whole thing falls apart.

In the normal world of business you are 100% correct but DB does not operate in the normal world of business it does what it is told to do not what it wants to or can do.

PS on changing a cross city to a city terminating service, there are unfortunately numerous logistical unavoidable reasons why it happens, for example bus is late at outer terminus and the driver would have insufficient driving hours to complete the entire journey.

Driver due to take the bus over at the hand over point in city centre will not be there that can happen for numerous reasons, was involved in an accident, was assaulted, fell ill, was late going on their own break etc etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CVH24

Yes and without getting into a maze of analogies but what if you are simply not allowed to tell the truth ? What if due to political and regulatory interference they want to enforce the pretence of unachieveable service levels ?
    See if you actually produce a timetable with less departures, lets say going from 6 an hour to 4 an hour, then you are putting it in writing that you are reducing the service and the inevitable pressure comes on from residents to their local politicians and it moves along until the decision is reversed, and we return to the 6 departures an hour, the obvious solution is you put in the resources to provide 6 services an hour but that costs money so that is not happening so we instead try and squeeze 6 departures out of the resources for 4 and someone parks a car in the wrong place and the whole thing falls apart.

In the normal world of business you are 100% correct but DB does not operate in the normal world of business it does what it is told to do not what it wants to or can do.

Must agree with the last statement completely, was reading about parts of the uk train system and it is much the same but in a different way.

The Dublin City bus routes are not DB's they are just the operator, the routes are the NTA. We see they are doing similar in other cities like Limerick, some changes are good but alot seem to show little understanding of traffic and its pinch points and the true reflection of peak time or school run times. They have a fixation that people want clock face departure times. They seem to think you can put a round peg in a square hole and have no effect. The biggest question is have things got worse, if so its not work and the second biggest question is what experience and expertise's have the NTA got?

Yes the customer should not normally have any care to the items in the backround, but sadly public transport has had so much political interfereance its extremely had to separate them, ah privatise is not a solution as you will still only have one operator on each route

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Can the OP bust the myth of the blind driver? The one on the 20:10 no. 17 from blackrock to rialto that came through UCD last night and simply drive straight by THREE people standing and waving him down at the stop? The bus was near empty, he clearly would have to be deliberately not looking to not have seen us in what is, after all, a bus park, not a road. And yet he left us there, even ignored me running out to wave him back down on his way back around to leave, with no more buses for an hour and a half. I mean, DB laid off a lot of drivers the last few years, you'd have to wonder how this genius was kept on. If there was real competition in the sector drivers like that with their **** you attitude would be on their hole and on the dole. But with an attitude like that of the op, no wonder occurrences like that are normal with DB.

Btw I have lodged a complaint, if anything comes of it I'll let ye know but I won't be holding my breath.

Can the OP bust the myth of the blind driver? The one on the 20:10 no. 17 from blackrock to rialto that came through UCD last night and simply drive straight by THREE people standing and waving him down at the stop? The bus was near empty, he clearly would have to be deliberately not looking to not have seen us in what is, after all, a bus park, not a road. And yet he left us there, even ignored me running out to wave him back down on his way back around to leave, with no more buses for an hour and a half. I mean, DB laid off a lot of drivers the last few years, you'd have to wonder how this genius was kept on. If there was real competition in the sector drivers like that with their **** you attitude would be on their hole and on the dole. But with an attitude like that of the op, no wonder occurrences like that are normal with DB.

Btw I have lodged a complaint, if anything comes of it I'll let ye know but I won't be holding my breath.

Obviously no one here saw what happened but most passengers left behind particularly when there are more than one is because of the failure to give a clear signal in good time.
    People can be a bit lazy with their hand signals and give a half arsed hand signal, or none at all as they think the others at the stop will signal, and the frantic waving and chasing starts when they realize the bus is not stopping.

Obviously I didn't see your incident, so maybe you gave the perfect signal and kept it there and in plenty of time or maybe you didn't who knows ?

As to your contention that passengers being left behind would be a thing of the past in a more competitive environment I give you this link from London of all places ( that being the home of the London model so beloved by the NTA.
    http://www.dearcustomerrelations.com/2011/02/the-bastard-on-the-bus/

• Advertisement

Obviously no one here saw what happened but most passengers left behind particularly when there are more than one is because of the failure to give a clear signal in good time.
    People can be a bit lazy with their hand signals and give a half arsed hand signal, or none at all as they think the others at the stop will signal, and the frantic waving and chasing starts when they realize the bus is not stopping.

Obviously I didn't see your incident, so maybe you gave the perfect signal and kept it there and in plenty of time or maybe you didn't who knows ?
    The hand signal point would be a fair one (don't get me wrong, we were signalling very clearly): But it's stop 765 in UCD, if you're standing there, you're waiting for the 17, no other bus stops there. What's more, it's a bus park, one that the 17 has to go a long way off the rest of its route just to get there, and has to crawl by, so it's not like the bus was flying past and then at the last second someone signalled. If you've done the route, you know the stop, there is just no conceivable way that someone could make that mistake without being totally incompetent or else totally malevolent. I'm not sure which would be worse. All of that is setting aside that three people were all waving down the bus. He either didn't see us, which means he was incompetent (given how slowly you have to drive by that stop and how far out of your way you have gone just to pass by it), or he didn't want to see us (in which case he's a [word I'd be better off keeping to myself]).

The hand signal point would be a fair one (don't get me wrong, we were signalling very clearly): But it's stop 765 in UCD, if you're standing there, you're waiting for the 17, no other bus stops there. What's more, it's a bus park, one that the 17 has to go a long way off the rest of its route just to get there, and has to crawl by, so it's not like the bus was flying past and then at the last second someone signalled. If you've done the route, you know the stop, there is just no conceivable way that someone could make that mistake without being totally incompetent or else totally malevolent. I'm not sure which would be worse. All of that is setting aside that three people were all waving down the bus. He either didn't see us, which means he was incompetent (given how slowly you have to drive by that stop and how far out of your way you have gone just to pass by it), or he didn't want to see us (in which case he's a [word I'd be better off keeping to myself]).

A couple of things just because someone is standing at a bus stop doesn't mean they want a bus, people stand at bus stops for all kinds of reasons, DB has recently taken on a batch of new drivers, so it is also possible that the driver didn't know the 17 is the only route that stops there or maybe that the 17 stopped their at all.

But you didn't answer was a clear signal given in good time ? What bus does or doesn't stop or how off route it is, is irrelevant, if a signal was clearly given in good time then the bus should have stopped if it wasn't no amount of furious waving and chasing changes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A couple of things just because someone is standing at a bus stop doesn't mean they want a bus, people stand at bus stops for all kinds of reasons, DB has recently taken on a batch of new drivers, so it is also possible that the driver didn't know the 17 is the only route that stops there or maybe that the 17 stopped their at all.

But you didn't answer was a clear signal given in good time ? What bus does or doesn't stop or how off route it is, is irrelevant, if a signal was clearly given in good time then the bus should have stopped if it wasn't no amount of furious waving and chasing changes that.

I think that the previous poster answered that question in the first line of the previous post?

Incidentally it is pretty shocking that a bespoke bus park was designed in such a way that it is impossible for a 17 serving UCD to actually be aligned properly with the kerb at its stop.

It speaks volumes for the regard the relevant authorities have for this sort of thing.

We signalled very clearly. As I said in the last post.

As it happens, the link you provided to the guy in London, that's almost identical to what happened to us, right down to the cold and the rain.

What I don't get, actually, is why we need to signal at all? Foreigners are often caught out by this policy, and end up missing buses because they didn't know it was necessary. But why is it necessary? Nearly every other country I've used public transport extensively in (Hungary, Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands) the bus stops at the stops either way. Nobody has to wave it down with the threat that if their wave isn't sufficiently enthusiastic they are driven past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

Can the OP bust the myth of the driver who "doesn't know"!?!

Was waiting for a 122 today from phibsborough(beside the bank of Ireland) to o'connell street, bus pulls up, a good few people get on,I put my leap card on the readr and say o'connell street, see the driver takes 2.05 instead of 1.50(which it should be since Monday). I ask him why he took too much from my leap card and to give me a refund ticket or something because he has basically overcharged me, this is when he blew his lid and started screaming(actually shouting loudly) "I don't know,feck off,get on the bus if you're gettin on" and began mumbling under his breath!

The rest of the passangers proceed to board the bus, including sone elderly people and students who clearly said camden street, I was sitting downstairs so could hear this, as could other passangers! Next thing the driver stops at parnell sq. and says that's his last stop,everybody off! Next of all the student who he took the fare to camden street from wants to know why he took his fare if that was his last stop, to which the driver says "tough" and sits there looking out the window! The student basically called him a prick and walked off and said he was goin to dublin bus for his money back and to make a compliant(don't know if he did or not, obviously didn't follow him)!

So does this driver really not now why he keeps over charging people or is it some cunning plan to turn people against dublin bus one at a time!?taking it down from the inside if you will?

lxflyer wrote: »
    I think that the previous poster answered that question in the first line of the previous post?

Incidentally it is pretty shocking that a bespoke bus park was designed in such a way that it is impossible for a 17 serving UCD to actually be aligned properly with the kerb at its stop.

It speaks volumes for the regard the relevant authorities have for this sort of thing.

Actually he didn't, he said they were signalling very clearly which doesn't answer the question as to in good time, like I said the frantic waving that people think constitutes a clear signal usually happens as they realize the bus isn't stopping.

flas wrote: »
    Can the OP bust the myth of the driver who "doesn't know"!?!

Was waiting for a 122 today from phibsborough(beside the bank of Ireland) to o'connell street, bus pulls up, a good few people get on,I put my leap card on the readr and say o'connell street, see the driver takes 2.05 instead of 1.50(which it should be since Monday). I ask him why he took too much from my leap card and to give me a refund ticket or something because he has basically overcharged me, this is when he blew his lid and started screaming(actually shouting loudly) "I don't know,feck off,get on the bus if you're gettin on" and began mumbling under his breath!

The rest of the passangers proceed to board the bus, including sone elderly people and students who clearly said camden street, I was sitting downstairs so could hear this, as could other passangers! Next thing the driver stops at parnell sq. and says that's his last stop,everybody off! Next of all the student who he took the fare to camden street from wants to know why he took his fare if that was his last stop, to which the driver says "tough" and sits there looking out the window! The student basically called him a prick and walked off and said he was goin to dublin bus for his money back and to make a compliant(don't know if he did or not, obviously didn't follow him)!

So does this driver really not now why he keeps over charging people or is it some cunning plan to turn people against dublin bus one at a time!?taking it down from the inside if you will?

Apart from the attitude you describe which you obviously couldn't defend, the fare and stage structure is a mystery to everyone including Dublin Bus, they don't really know where there stages are, different names are used on ticket machines compared to the fare calculator, different locations are used, and the ticket machine on the bus will often just list a road like say the north circular road stage 20 then north circular road stage 21 then 22, leaving drivers to guess which stop is which stage.

We signalled very clearly. As I said in the last post.

As it happens, the link you provided to the guy in London, that's almost identical to what happened to us, right down to the cold and the rain.

What I don't get, actually, is why we need to signal at all? Foreigners are often caught out by this policy, and end up missing buses because they didn't know it was necessary. But why is it necessary? Nearly every other country I've used public transport extensively in (Hungary, Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands) the bus stops at the stops either way. Nobody has to wave it down with the threat that if their wave isn't sufficiently enthusiastic they are driven past.

Probably because the multitude of stops in this city, that if a bus pulled in and stopped at each individual stop every 100 meters or so irrespective of whether there was anybody looking to board or alight then it would substantially increase both running time and fuel efficiency. Whenever I visit a foreign country I tend to figure out how stuff works there rather than arrogantly presuming it should work the way I'm used to.

And again in good time ? As the driver approached the stop did you give a clear signal in good time that would allow him to safely stop the bus at the stop? I have no doubt you waved vigorously as the bus passed but did you signal in good time?

Probably because the multitude of stops in this city, that if a bus pulled in and stopped at each individual stop every 100 meters or so irrespective of whether there was anybody looking to board or alight then it would substantially increase both running time and fuel efficiency. Whenever I visit a foreign country I tend to figure out how stuff works there rather than arrogantly presuming it should work the way I'm used to.

And again in good time ? As the driver approached the stop did you give a clear signal in good time that would allow him to safely stop the bus at the stop? I have no doubt you waved vigorously as the bus passed but did you signal in good time?

Yes! The bus crawls by at that stop, I waved in plenty of time. What is this mental block you have where the notion that a Dublin bus driver could be wrong is so massively unlikely to you, whereas the idea the customer is wrong is your first, second and third assumption? That attitude basically ****ing sums the organisation up to be honest.

Yes! The bus crawls by at that stop, I waved in plenty of time. What is this mental block you have where the notion that a Dublin bus driver could be wrong is so massively unlikely to you, whereas the idea the customer is wrong is your first, second and third assumption? That attitude basically ****ing sums the organisation up to be honest.

I don't have any block, I asked you a question and on the third time you actually answered it, it is not normal for a driver to deliberately drive pass customers who have signalled in good time that they want to travel, hence why I asked if it was normal DB would not be carrying 120 million passengers a year.
    So I look for the obvious explanation which is usually why passengers are left behind, rather than automatically presume the driver was just being a bastard or incompetent, do you normally presume you should make a claim and everyone should just assume you are correct and not ask you any questions ? Do you think all customer complaints should just be accepted without question or just yours ?

• Advertisement

I waved in plenty of time. .
    We signalled very clearly. .
    we were signalling very clearly
    I don't have any block, I asked you a question and on the third time you actually answered it,

Yeah, it really took me a long time to answer it, no mental block there at all.

Yeah, it really took me a long time to answer it, no mental block there at all.

Apparently you have a problem understanding that there are 2 parts to the question, a clear signal and in good time, so just answering, we signalled very clearly doesn't answer both parts of the question. It wasnt till your third attempt that you claimed your signal was in good time.

Waving your hands as the bus passes you is a clear signal but it is not in good time, I have seen these type of complaints loads of times thankfully nowadays with video it is easy to show peoples perceptions of the same event can be quite different.

Apparently you have a problem understanding that there are 2 parts to the question, a clear signal and in good time, so just answering, we signalled very clearly doesn't answer both parts of the question. It wasnt till your third attempt that you claimed your signal was in good time.

Waving your hands as the bus passes you is a clear signal but it is not in good time, I have seen these type of complaints loads of times thankfully nowadays with video it is easy to show peoples perceptions of the same event can be quite different.
    You're just looking to be difficult now. Obviously if it wasn't in good time, it wouldn't have been a very clear signal.

You're just looking to be difficult now. Obviously if it wasn't in good time, it wouldn't have been a very clear signal.

I should say this isn't the first time this happened to me. A 145 flew by a crowded stop on Leeson St a couple of years ago when it was lashing rain, and I was vindicated by the video that there were clearly people signalling him to stop. They asked me if I wanted to pursue the complaint so that the guy would be punished in some way and I said no because, obviously, that is ridiculous. But what you have to accept, at some point here, is that there ARE drivers in DB that simply find customers to be a total and utter pain in their arse, and they'd much rather we didn't exist.

Your figure of 120 million passengers would be much more persuasive if DB were still carrying that load when there was about three other bus companies running the same routes.

I should also say, I really like Dublin Bus nowadays, it's a massively improved service in the last few years. The drivers have always been, by and large, a great bunch of people who will bend over backwards to help you once you're polite to them, I've had them waive fares when my Leap card was empty, I've had them accept a few coppers when I realised I hadn't change, they've given me directions to places and stopped the bus to call me when I'm going somewhere unfamiliar. When I've been on the bike I've always found DB drivers to be very good, considerate and careful (unlike most taxi drivers) despite driving very powerful and dangerous vehicles. They are mostly a great bunch of men and women and a credit to themselves and the company, and they are part of a bus system that, despite some regressions due to cutbacks, are basically an improving service.

But ye have a few incompetent/malevolent gowls as well. That's just a fact. One of them drove by me the other night.

I should say this isn't the first time this happened to me. A 145 flew by a crowded stop on Leeson St a couple of years ago when it was lashing rain, and I was vindicated by the video that there were clearly people signalling him to stop. They asked me if I wanted to pursue the complaint so that the guy would be punished in some way and I said no because, obviously, that is ridiculous. But what you have to accept, at some point here, is that there ARE drivers in DB that simply find customers to be a total and utter pain in their arse, and they'd much rather we didn't exist.

Your figure of 120 million passengers would be much more persuasive if DB were still carrying that load when there was about three other bus companies running the same routes.

I should also say, I really like Dublin Bus nowadays, it's a massively improved service in the last few years. The drivers have always been, by and large, a great bunch of people who will bend over backwards to help you once you're polite to them, I've had them waive fares when my Leap card was empty, I've had them accept a few coppers when I realised I hadn't change, they've given me directions to places and stopped the bus to call me when I'm going somewhere unfamiliar. When I've been on the bike I've always found DB drivers to be very good, considerate and careful (unlike most taxi drivers) despite driving very powerful and dangerous vehicles. They are mostly a great bunch of men and women and a credit to themselves and the company, and they are part of a bus system that, despite some regressions due to cutbacks, are basically an improving service.

But ye have a few incompetent/malevolent gowls as well. That's just a fact. One of them drove by me the other night.

No it was a reasonable question DB rules state it as two parts a clear signal in good time. A clear signal is arm out so it can be seen the in good time is a separate issue from the signal being clear.

Of course there are bad employees it would be unusual in an organisation of over 2000 drivers not to have some bad apples whether that's a private company or a semi state, it is also equally true that the best of drivers can have a bad day or make a mistake, it doesn't make them completely incompetent or a complete bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

DB rules state it as two parts a clear signal in good time. A clear signal is arm out so it can be seen the in good time is a separate issue from the signal being clear.
    Can you provide a link to that? Or is it just a rule for drivers?

From the DB website, in the "how to use the bus" section, it simply states
    Please put your hand out to tell the driver that you want him/her to stop so that you can get on the bus.
    How to use the bus.

It makes perfect sense that you cannot put your hand out when the bus is going past the stop, but I cannot see it called out specifically in the DB rules. If it is, then the above link should be updated. As it stands it's appears to be up to the drivers's discretion if the signal is in good time or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

s8080 wrote: »
    top dog in nbru his daughter is high up in dublin bus head office, remember the strike a few year ago, nbru leader on tv talking, dublin bus spokeswoman on tv disagreeing , thats his daughter using irish verson of family name.

Just discovered this thread today and came across the above.

s8080, how can we trust any "myths" you seek to debunk when you come out with the above gem? Don't believe every conspiracy theory you hear in the canteen, there is no basis to this rumour other than a shared surname.

Though to be fair it's not just you, I've just done a search and there are previous threads here on boards repeating this "fact". Strange it's never been published in a newspaper.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Welcome to Commuting and Transport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

MugsGame wrote: »
    Just discovered this thread today and came across the above.

s8080, how can we trust any "myths" you seek to debunk when you come out with the above gem? Don't believe every conspiracy theory you hear in the canteen, there is no basis to this rumour other than a shared surname.

Though to be fair it's not just you, I've just done a search and there are previous threads here on boards repeating this "fact". Strange it's never been published in a newspaper.

strange the nbru have never issued a statement to deny it to the members.

do other nbru officials have family working in dublin bus head office? Yes and not a conspiracy theory.

if im wrong, other drivers who post here please correct me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

Apart from the attitude you describe which you obviously couldn't defend, the fare and stage structure is a mystery to everyone including Dublin Bus, they don't really know where there stages are, different names are used on ticket machines compared to the fare calculator, different locations are used, and the ticket machine on the bus will often just list a road like say the north circular road stage 20 then north circular road stage 21 then 22, leaving drivers to guess which stop is which stage.

Fair enough I suppose re: the fare and stage structure! Thanks for the reply

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement