Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Mythbuster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

s8080 wrote: »
    strange the nbru have never issued a statement to deny it to the members.

do other nbru officials have family working in dublin bus head office? Yes and not a conspiracy theory.

if im wrong, other drivers who post here please correct me.

Really? I don't think so, as if every organisation out there took the time to respond to every potential crackpot conspiracy theory that might exist about them (and by the sounds of this it is just that), they would get nothing else done. Not to mention that based on the references I can see posted on boards about this in the past, even if that were true at the time, the claim is about a year out of date, as the particular individual has not been General Secretary since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Can the OP bust the myth of the blind driver? The one on the 20:10 no. 17 from blackrock to rialto that came through UCD last night and simply drive straight by THREE people standing and waving him down at the stop? The bus was near empty, he clearly would have to be deliberately not looking to not have seen us in what is, after all, a bus park, not a road. And yet he left us there, even ignored me running out to wave him back down on his way back around to leave, with no more buses for an hour and a half. I mean, DB laid off a lot of drivers the last few years, you'd have to wonder how this genius was kept on. If there was real competition in the sector drivers like that with their **** you attitude would be on their hole and on the dole. But with an attitude like that of the op, no wonder occurrences like that are normal with DB.

Btw I have lodged a complaint, if anything comes of it I'll let ye know but I won't be holding my breath.

The OP already bust this myth earlier in the thread when I asked it. Clearly you were either all in wheelchairs and there was already someone in a wheelchair on the bus, or you were all drunk and obnoxious.

But in no way is it the driver's fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Got my Leap card the other day, driver overcharged me for my journey of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well then ask for the fare (as in €2.05 etc) if you actually know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Mahogany wrote: »
    Got my Leap card the other day, driver overcharged me for my journey of course...

What was the extent of the journey ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have a lot commuting and defraud the company by saying €1.50 or €2.05 when they should and know well its more.

Had a guy get on last nights throws in €2.50 I print his €2.55 and proceeds to shout at me give me me change ticket.While been a big hard man starring at me.
    I just looked back over at him said sure its €2.55 you owe me €0.05 cent.

Did I get oh sorry or thanks or apology did I heck.

Some serious attitudes and aggresion out there.
    also last bus to town last night get these 2 throw in money not enough mind and say 2x €2.35.
    I knowing full well they are heading all the way as for usual but wow attitude I got and told how to do my job.

She goes well I always pay €2.35 to town and no other bus drivers says anything.
    The fare is €3.30 and would have been €3.05 in old fare so she had been doing for a long time. I let them on and for letting them travel as they said had no more change I got a lovely f##k you when they got off.

Now this is why some and maybe more of us has taken fare evasion to be more serious then others as we are been laughed at and looked down upon and I for one am getting tired of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Have a lot commuting and defraud the company by saying €1.50 or €2.05 when they should and know well its more.
    In 10 years on the bus I have never had my ticket checked by an inspector. On the LUAS I'd say it's checked every 2nd journey. I know it's two companies, but why such a difference?

hmmm wrote: »
    In 10 years on the bus I have never had my ticket checked by an inspector. On the LUAS I'd say it's checked every 2nd journey. I know it's two companies, but why such a difference?

The Checking Regime on Bus Atha Cliath is about to change.

I would suggest that by this time 2015,your Bus Atha Cliath ticket checking experience will have altered considerably.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

hmmm wrote: »

LUAS has 66 trams operating on two routes, Dublin Bus have about 800 buses operating in God knows how many routes. Different scale of operation.

Also DB target their ticket checks on areas or routes that they believe are being abused. If you're not in those areas, you might never see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

I would suggest that by this time 2015,your Bus Atha Cliath ticket checking experience will have altered considerably.

heard that several times before Alek - what's the difference this time?

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Heard that several times before Alek - what's the difference this time?

The main difference this time is a changed perception,a changed system of overview and accountability and additional resources actually in place.

However,until the new arrangements are actually in place,things will remain as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

AlekSmart wrote: »

I wouldn't hold my breath tbh, wouldn't be surprised if the same process of checking the "easy" routes at "easy" times doesn't continue unless the NTA give them a kick in the arse and make them get out and check the routes with fare evasion

markpb wrote: »
    LUAS has 66 trams operating on two routes, Dublin Bus have about 800 buses operating in God knows how many routes. Different scale of operation.

Also DB target their ticket checks on areas or routes that they believe are being abused. If you're not in those areas, you might never see them

I lol'd

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

cdebru wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath tbh, wouldn't be surprised if the same process of checking the "easy" routes at "easy" times doesn't continue unless the NTA give them a kick in the arse and make them get out and check the routes with fare evasion
    The other day I had 4 inspectors check my bus on one of the most notorious routes in Dublin for fare evasion, I think their pen ran out of ink there were that many standard fares issued, and a good few were marched up to the front to pay the difference between the fare paid and the actual fare.

macroman wrote: »
    The other day I had 4 inspectors check my bus on one of the most notorious routes in Dublin for fare evasion, I think their pen ran out of ink there were that many standard fares issued, and a good few were marched up to the front to pay the difference between the fare paid and the actual fare.

How often does this happen on this notorious route ? I'll tell you my experience that is them preying on easy routes up and down them and another trick is to board and exit before the first 3 stages are up or very early on the route so the chances of catching under payers are nearly zero because they have left the bus before anyone could have over ridden their fare, but the checkers are racking up "checks"
    The fact that you have to point out this happened means it is unusual we all know that if they really wanted to tackle fare evasion then the routes are well known but the reality is they seem to consciously avoid checking these routes or the parts of them that would make any difference.
    Lastly how any fare evasion charges could stand up to any kind of challenge amazes me, the company itself doesn't know where its stages are its own fare calculator is riddled with mistakes, it doesn't train its staff where stages are ( hard to do when you don't know yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well in Q1 2014, 28,982 tickets were checked and 642 standard fares issued, and 90 court cases taken with regard to fare evasion.

In Q2 2014, 30,102 tickets were checked and 516 standard fares issued, and 110 court cases taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well in Q1 2014, 28,982 tickets were checked and 642 standard fares issued, and 90 court cases taken with regard to fare evasion.

In Q2 2014, 30,102 tickets were checked and 516 standard fares issued, and 110 court cases taken.

334 checks a day? that's probably only about 10 buses a day!

no wonder I never see them.

realistically they should be checking about 100 buses a day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It's really rare to see a checker to be honest, but some of the ones I've acome across have not been the nicest guys to say the least and some of them have been downright rude to people.

Once one of them attempted to fine me for not tagging on with my Leap Card, when the drivers machine was not working properly so he said for me not to pay since I wasn't going full distance and he has saw me almost every day for the last year.

Inspector came on and tried to fine me. Driver then had argument with inspector, leading to driver phoning the depot who backed him up and the standard fare notice was ripped up and we drove away, much to the amusement of fellow passengers.

Also had an incident where a driver didn't know the route so refused to take any payment from me in exchange for me guiding him which way to go even when I insisted. Inspector came on and had a go at me for standing in front of the white line and not paying my fare.

I think I've seen inspectors maybe 8 times in the last 9 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭mmmcake

devnull wrote: »
    It's really rare to see a checker to be honest, but some of the ones I've acome across have not been the nicest guys to say the least and some of them have been downright rude to people.

We dont want them to be nice, we need them to intimidate.
    If you have every been on a bus on the continent and had a ticket check you know what i mean, they take no prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mmmcake wrote: »
    If you have every been on a bus on the continent and had a ticket check you know what i mean, they take no prisoners.

There's other things they do on the continent, like have meaningful timetables, buses that run on time, a system where they actually stop the bus, logical fare measuring schemes etc etc. Or is it just some stuff from the continent that you want to adopt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭mmmcake

There's other things they do on the continent, like have meaningful timetables, buses that run on time, a system where they actually stop the bus, logical fare measuring schemes etc etc. Or is it just some stuff from the continent that you want to adopt?

Maybe just maybe if everyone paid the correct fare, the money would be there to run a better service?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Maybe just maybe if everyone paid the correct fare, the money would be there to run a better service?

Well, maybe if the actual company itself could agree amongst themselves on what the correct fare is...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

You can still be nice and pleasant whilst also punishing the evaders.

The guy in question with me started giving me a lecture about why was I defrauding the company of around a thousand euro a year, if he saw my leap card history he'd have felt rather stupid.

The driver was embarrassed by the whole episode since he'd saw me every morning for a long time and apparently made a complaint about the inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

devnull wrote: »
    You can still be nice and pleasant whilst also punishing the evaders.

The guy in question with me started giving me a lecture about why was I defrauding the company of around a thousand euro a year, if he saw my leap card history he'd have felt rather stupid.

The driver was embarrassed by the whole episode since he'd saw me every morning for a long time and apparently made a complaint about the inspector.

In the circumstances you have stated he should have listened to the driver and maybe toned it down.

Its a hard 1 & you were very unlucky as there are a hell of a lot that are not genuine like yourself and they are taking the p#ss big time.

Also he may have had reason as there have been drivers caught pocketing money and that. Hopefully he was just having a bad day.

lxflyer wrote: »

Wow thats really impressive, until you realise that DB would carry about 30,000,000 passengers in each quarter, so 0.1% of tickets were checked or to put it another way 99.9% were not checked. But what actually proves my point is that out of near 60,000 checks in 6 months they are finding less than 2% are fare evaders, now that is a joke and one that DB use to justify not checking more, do you know why they only find 2% because of where they check, when they check and who they ignore. So they pick on the nice easy targets people like Devnull, who I'm guessing is a respectable enough guy and they avoid like the plague routes where fare evasion is rampant, with all the dodgy passes, the people who dodge on and pay nothing the underpayers who think the standard fare to anywhere in the city is 1.95, the 25 year olds travelling on kids tickets etc etc they only find less than 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Excuses.

Up to 10 times a day someone might say to you 'I just topped up my leap card' and not once have you ever asked to see a receipt. How much time does asking a question take? You really expect me to believe you're so busy that you can't do that? How many times do you slow down on your route to have a quick chat with a driver driving the other way?

You don't ask the question because you simply couldn't give a toss. At least be honest about it.

Magicmarker give up the ghost= you made a broad sweeping statement and were put back in your box. At least admit it, move on.

I dont work for DB, never have, but i will say this , if it ever does get privatised you can forget about busses to the rougher areas, that are loss leaders. I admire and respect most if not al drivers, its a stressful job.

Drivers can be cunts but the amount of **** behaviour i have witnessed by passengers is one f the reasons i dont use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

AlekSmart wrote: »
    What was the extent of the journey ?

I was supposed to be charged 2.05 but instead it was 2.60. I was travelling between 8-13 stages but was charged for over 13, even though there wasn't that many left on the route!

Sneaky sneaky....so from now on I say 2.05 please, they can't argue that one.

I was supposed to be charged 2.05 but instead it was 2.60. I was travelling between 8-13 stages but was charged for over 13, even though there wasn't that many left on the route!

Do you think it may have been personal ?..or worse still....a MISTAKE :eek:

Any chance of the journey details...even from Fare Calculator...stop to stop ?

Why would you say sneaky sneaky ? Do you think the driver has some personal benefit from charging you more on your leap card ? Do you think he is on commission? Could it be he made a mistake ? He is new ? He is unfamiliar with the route ?
    Either way best thing if you know it is €2.05 just say €2.05

• Advertisement

cdebru wrote: »
    Why would you say sneaky sneaky ? Do you think the driver has some personal benefit from charging you more on your leap card ? Do you think he is on commission? Could it be he made a mistake ? He is new ? He is unfamiliar with the route ?
    Either way best thing if you know it is €2.05 just say €2.05

If any Leapcard user suspects an overcharge,all they have to do,if they haven't already raised it with the Busdriver,is contact Leapcard Helpline @ 1850 824 824 with the details of the problematic transaction and it will be addressed....Sneaky,Sneakier,Sneakiest !!....;)

Perhaps the Mods could make a big-sticky out of that Leapcard Number...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement