Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Mythbuster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Sorry, but the joke is on you if you are willing to pay high cash fares when using a Leap card will be so much cheaper (€2.05).

Irrelevant whether I have one or not as it's still a rip off for the fairweather traveler, nearly costs that much in petrol for a motor!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Mahogany wrote: »
    2.60 soon to be 2.80 is a giant rip off and middle finger to public transport users, well beyond the rate of inflation.

2.60 to the next town over from me which is 6km away, absolute joke.

The cash fares are being artificially increased to encourage people to switch to LEAP.

You can save money using LEAP, and with the €1 rebate on any second or subsequent trip taken within 90 minutes of the first, anyone still using cash needs their head examined.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The cash fares are being artificially increased to encourage people to switch to LEAP.

You can save money using LEAP, and with the €1 rebate on any second or subsequent trip taken within 90 minutes of the first, anyone still using cash needs their head examined.

I don't care what you can do with leap there'll all cover ups on the fact that it's ridiculously expensive to use public transport in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Sorry, but the joke is on you if you are willing to pay high cash fares when using a Leap card will be so much cheaper (€2.05).

Sadly,it perhaps explains just why Ireland went bust,and it was'nt ALL down to Banksters..

It is difficult to explain rationally,why anybody would ignore an opportunity to secure a €2.80 journey for €2.05,and it becomes even more so when one realizes that that €2.05 represents a REDUCTION of 10c on the current €2.15 Leapcard fare for that journey...:confused:

That 10c represents a significant reduction on a very widely used fare,and will benefit a shed-load of customers,however this,along with the reductions in Expresso and Outer Suburban Fare bands recieves very limited coverage,perhaps because it's difficult to give out about such reductions and,even worse,short-circuits the victim role-playing which has come to typify so much of modern Ireland's thinking ?

A €6.90 Daily Adult Bus Cap along with €5.00 Student and €2.50 Child Caps represent wholly reasonable,and generally available Fare levels comparable with most other European Cities.

Nobody is suggesting that anything near perfection exists,but Dublin's Bus Service is nowhere near the basket case which some appear to need in order to feed a need to be permanently hard-done-by.

Thankfully,after decades of fragmented and disinterested regulation,Dublin is at last beginning to drag itself forward in Public Transport terms...The challenge is whether we want to go with it,or to remain sitting in the dirt throwing stones at those travelling in it ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's 1.50 from Milan Linate Airport to the Duomo, Google maps ses it's 8.5 km
    The same fellas say it's 9.2 km from Dublin Airport to O'Connell st.

It's probably a bit dearer in Dublin though

Even though there was off bus ticketing, there were delays boarding, as the bus was jammed full by the time it got to the edge of the city centre, as all boarding had to validate tickets on one validator at the front door....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Irrelevant whether I have one or not as it's still a rip off for the fairweather traveler, nearly costs that much in petrol for a motor!

I try to use the bus as little as possible, but probably still manage once a week. Buying a leap card and setting up auto direct debit took me a little bit of time but is still well worth it for even the very occasional user.

There is a reasonable point here that for very short journeys DB is more expensive than petrol. Not for long journeys obviously.

For our household (including kids fares) it is cheaper to drive and pay parking in the city centre for 2 hours than to get the bus in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

s8080 wrote: »
    well here is a little bit of info that you would not know.
    new timetables and some route changes are coming for routes 11,14,45a,145.
    Drivers on the routes have been informed of the changes that are due to be implemented in January. The changes in the routes will result in the ceasing the 145 route to Kilmacanogue in Ballywaltrim, however the 45a which currently stops in Ballywaltrim will be extended to Kilmacanogue.
    http://johnbradysf.blogspot.ie/2014/11/concern-expressed-with-planned-changes.html

Here are the changes to the 45a and 145. Which have been pencilled in for well over a year now. Should increase the reliability of the 145.

What about the 11 and the 14?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

2.60 soon to be 2.80 is a giant rip off and middle finger to public transport users, well beyond the rate of inflation.

2.60 to the next town over from me which is 6km away, absolute joke.

this is too easy.
    dublin bus do NOT set the fares.
    the NTA set the fares.

inevitably those who get on the bus and bitch about the fare price have a €3-€4 starbucks in their hand, a €300 pair of Beats around their neck and a €800 iPhone 6 in their hand which they then use to call friends to arrange to go to temple bar to pay €5-€6 a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

inevitably those who get on the bus and bitch about the fare price have a €3-€4 starbucks in their hand, a €300 pair of Beats around their neck and a €800 iPhone 6 in their hand which they then use to call friends to arrange to go to temple bar to pay €5-€6 a drink.
    How do they manage to pay the fare with a coffee in one hand and an iphone in the other. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

inevitably those who get on the bus and bitch about the fare price

Probably use the bus regularly and have no choice. Starbucks is optional and most people wouldn't buy a phone more than every 12-18 months.

• Advertisement

this is too easy.
    dublin bus do NOT set the fares.
    the NTA set the fares.

Sorry but that's definitely the minority, neither me or my mates have an 800 quid phone or beats.

Main reason for my outbursts is because I'm a student and obviously because I'm a student I have f*ck all money on me haha!

Sorry but that's definitely the minority, neither me or my mates have an 800 quid phone or beats.

Main reason for my outbursts is because I'm a student and obviously because I'm a student I have f*ck all money on me haha!

Crikey man...you're a student and paying cash busfares ?....are you crazy or wha ?.....If your tween 16 & 19 you could (:eek:SHOULD:eek:) be paying 70c for most of your journeys,and no more than €1.15 for the remainder and a €2.50 per DAY cap....are you waiting for somebody to pay YOU to get on the bus ?

Even if you're a more "mature" student,then the €5 per day Student Leapcard Cap comes to your fiscal rescue....lookit man,IF you're deliberately avoiding the cheaper/est travel fare options then it's little wonder you have "f*ck all" money left...get with the programme...use the money saved from Child/Student Leapcard options to fund the iPhone/Beats/Starbucks and avoid hardsihp becoming your middle name !!! ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    How do they manage to pay the fare with a coffee in one hand and an iphone in the other. :confused:

if you have to ask this question you either
    A- never been on a dublin bus
    B-blind
    C-simple
    D-**** stirrer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

That is silly, what age are you ? Under 19 you dont have to pay more than €8.20 a week, 19 and over you are limited to €20 a week, that's less than €3 a day for unlimited bus use.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

Has there been changes to driver rosters over the past week or two? 76 used to be reliable enough in the mornings since August/September, but for last two weeks there's been buses turning up 10-15 mins late, or a scheduled bus not arriving at all and then two arriving together (this morning).

Very frustrating spending so much money per week on such a flaky service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Same with the 67.

as you can see no new timetable

Buses from/to
    From Chapelizod Towards Tallaght (The Square)
    Operative Date: 15/04/2012
    Version: TT 2.1

Buses from/to
    From Merrion Sq. Towards Maynooth
    Operative Date: 29/06/2014
    Version: TT 4.1

winter weather, more cars on road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you have to ask this question you either
    A- never been on a dublin bus
    B-blind
    C-simple
    D-**** stirrer

you sound like a bundle of fun

as you can see no new timetable

Buses from/to
    From Chapelizod Towards Tallaght (The Square)
    Operative Date: 15/04/2012
    Version: TT 2.1

Buses from/to
    From Merrion Sq. Towards Maynooth
    Operative Date: 29/06/2014
    Version: TT 4.1

winter weather, more cars on road.

Newlands Cross project in wrapping-up phase...usually when the carefully laid plans tend to unwravel just a bit.....;)

cdebru wrote: »
    That is silly, what age are you ? Under 19 you dont have to pay more than €8.20 a week, 19 and over you are limited to €20 a week, that's less than €3 a day for unlimited bus use.

Can't get a student leap as I'm repeating my leaving therefore not technically a student.

Live out in the sticks aswell, no such thing as the city centre fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

If buses are equipped with GPS and a computer which knows what route its on why must the driver press a button to update the ticket machine as to what stage its at ? Seems simple hooking up to me to have the GPS step the stages along.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

trellheim wrote: »
    If buses are equipped with GPS and a computer which knows what route its on why must the driver press a button to update the ticket machine as to what stage its at ? Seems simple hooking up to me to have the GPS step the stages along.

They have yet to link the two up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

trellheim wrote: »

It will be happening in early 2015. There was no point linking the GPS system with the current ticketing equipment when new ticket machines are due to be installed in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

So new ticket machines are arriving early 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Tow

Stevek101 wrote: »
    So new ticket machines are arriving early 15?

To replace the 'new' 386 based ticket machines introduced to handle the Leap cards?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Can't get a student leap as I'm repeating my leaving therefore not technically a student.

Well I presume you are technically attending a school ? So perhaps you might have googled student leap card and seen how to apply rather than aimlessly moaning that you pay too much.

If you are under 19 you are entitled to a child leapcard, google it download the form, bring your pics and ID to the places listed, DB head office is open Saturdays so no need to take time off. You don't even have to be attending school you just need to be under 19.

If you are over 19 and in full time education (including secondary school) you download the form bring it to your school they fill in their part stamp it and you send it off.

And lastly never mentioned the city centre fare so irrelevant.

Tow wrote: »
    To replace the 'new' 386 based ticket machines introduced to handle the Leap cards?

At this juncture,there are No New Ticket Machines budgeted for in 2015.

There is currently an ongoing programme of software upgrade's to the existing TGX 150,with,it has to be said,less than heartening results.

The TGX 150 machine is over a decade old,and whilst more than capable of it's original task,has been overwhelmed since the commencement of Leapcard support.

The 386EX issue is but one of the restrictions on it's performance,as is a 1Mbyte memory limit,however as Wayfarer continue to support TGX 150 and 250,nobody appears willing to fund c.900 new machines.

This sounds odd Mahogany,without being too specific,what type of Educational Estab;lishment are you studying in ?

As pointed out by another poster,if you are under 19,you qualify for Registered Child Leapcard.

www.childleapcard.ie

AlekSmart wrote: »
    This sounds odd Mahogany,without being too specific,what type of Educational Estab;lishment are you studying in ?

As pointed out by another poster,if you are under 19,you qualify for Registered Child Leapcard.

www.childleapcard.ie

I'm 21 and in a VTOS scheme.

• Advertisement

I'm 21 and in a VTOS scheme.

What element of the VTOS scheme makes you ineligible for a Student Travel Card ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement