Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Mod it from the start, using a few choice mods. My recommendations are Cloaks of Skyrim, Configurable Auto Saver, Kace Auto Loot, Point The Way, Midas Magic, Dovahkiin Perks, The Unoffical Patch, SkyUI, Catergorized Favourites Menu, SKSE and Better World Map. Mainly improvements to the game.

They can all be gotten from the Nexus, use the nexus mod manager. Workshop and Nexus mods can be mixed, but are installed differently if you use the managers.

Thanks for the list. Can't wait to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Head over to Elder Scrolls forum. There's plenty info of mods and where to get them hidden among some of the threads :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=648

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Watch out for SkyUI, I've read that the mods won't be supporting the free version any more, so older versions mightn't run with newer mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Guys,

Has anyone ever seen Mass Effect DLC on sale?

I bought some of them due to a glitch on the Bioware site for points a few years ago, but to buy the remainder (at least the good ones) it would cost around €50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was planning on holding off on Arkham Knight because would need to upgrade the graphics card but seeing that cdkeys offer has me now starting to look into new cards. Any suggestions? Or head to the Upgrade forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was planning on holding off on Arkham Knight because would need to upgrade the graphics card but seeing that cdkeys offer has me now starting to look into new cards. Any suggestions? Or head to the Upgrade forum?

You'll need a budget for there too! What's this CD key offer you speak of?

Well last time I went for a 6870 so thinking this time to go for a more future proof upgrade.

The offer is this (works out at €20.95 with the code)
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/steam-batman-arkham-knight-including-harley-quinn-dlc-14-90-cdkeys-with-code-hukdmayday-2197940

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well last time I went for a 6870 so thinking this time to go for a more future proof upgrade.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/steam-batman-arkham-knight-including-harley-quinn-dlc-14-90-cdkeys-with-code-hukdmayday-2197940

I'd hold off for a little bit. AMD are due to release the 300 series soonish. Hopefully they'll be competitively priced and cause a drop in the prices of the 200 and the 900 series.

Second hand 270/280x wouldnt break the bank, or a 960. Pretty substantial upgrades. Thanks for the link!

May get the game now anyway (nuuvem also pretty cheap) then decide over the coming month. Want something that will last me since got the 6870 about 3 years ago and it's struggling with newer releases. So would prefer a higher end one now that would outlast this console generation at least and beyond

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm looking at a 970 myself - I'm struggling to run GTA as it is, so it's already on the shopping list and I just made the most of that deal and picked Batman up. €400 isn't cheap though! I feel bad breaking my own "No Pre-Orders" rule, but I've always loved the Arkham games and have high hopes for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anybody up for some Arma 3 MP tonight?

Gonna host DUWS modified and hoping to get 3 or 4 to come on and play.

Having the allinterrainpack would be preferred but if people dont have it i dont mind just using altis or stratis.

Or if anyone has a suggestion for a MP mission and a link to its download i would be open to having a look.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm looking at a 970 myself - I'm struggling to run GTA as it is, so it's already on the shopping list and I just made the most of that deal and picked Batman up. €400 isn't cheap though! I feel bad breaking my own "No Pre-Orders" rule, but I've always loved the Arkham games and have high hopes for this one.

Yeah it is pretty much "Arkham Knight for only €20? Sounds good to me... so that's over €400 to play one game". Though I see dabs giving Witcher 3 and GTA V with the 970.

So between buying a card or getting a PS4. Think go with the card

It was on my list for this year anyway, so I'd factored it into the budget about a year ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The GTX 980 TI is due to be released this month which should cause a reduction in the lower tier product line and a boost to the 2nd hand card market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think €400 is too much unless you're really aiming at triple monitor gaming this time around. You're really not getting much value for money once you go above the €300 mark, you're buying more power than you reasonably need on a one monitor setup. Unless you're chasing the FPS dragon or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

unless you are going for a 1440p monitor then you would need a 970

I'll just be using my tv which is 1080p. And all I want is to comfortably be able to play games without having to mess around with the settings to get it to run smoothly and checking the requirements every time to see if I can run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Where are you buying your 970? Ive got an MSI already bought on a sale here in Australia for $447. Want a second one now as playing in 2160p. Ordered from Amazon for $350 US with snail shipping (about 2 weeks to Australia). Not sure about Ireland but MSI will honor RMA's of US bought products in Australia so no risk.

About maybe €80 cheaper than €400.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NN0GEXQ/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

This is the one I've bought.

• Advertisement

I don't know why but I had it in my head that Amazon US didn't deliver over here to Ireland, but seems like they will and seems like there is indeed something close to €80 to be saved! Cheers!

You're looking at over 400 if you get taxed there Shiminay!

You're looking at over 400 if you get taxed there Shiminay!

Well that really sucks. Dont get taxed on anything under $1000 AUD here...

If I was going home on a holiday anytime soon I'd have helped you out!

irishmover wrote: »
    Well that really sucks. Dont get taxed on anything under $1000 AUD here...

If I was going home on a holiday anytime soon I'd have helped you out!

Try €22... Sister is back from Oz in October, I will be exploiting that! Thanks for the tip

Try €22... Sister is back from Oz in October, I will be exploiting that! Thanks for the tip

My suggestion would be to get her to buy a heap of electronics. Still a nice amount cheaper here than Ireland! 30kg free baggage handling on most flights now!

What's €22 by the way? If that's tax its not for me. Never paid tax on orders under $1000. Just checked my 970 order and taxes showing as 0.00.

Might deliver it to my cousins in Maine and have them post it to me as a gift :p

• Advertisement

My suggestion would be to get her to buy a heap of electronics. Still a nice amount cheaper here than Ireland! 30kg free baggage handling on most flights now!

What's €22 by the way? If that's tax its not for me. Never paid tax on orders under $1000. Just checked my 970 order and taxes showing as 0.00.

That's what I'm planning! Imports over €22 outside the EU are taxed for consumers, higher for businesses obviously but it's nowhere near €1000.

Well I think that's right...

Might deliver it to my cousins in Maine and have them post it to me as a gift :p

Your cousin could open a business for Irish shoppers :)

That's what I'm planning! Imports over €22 outside the EU are taxed for consumers, higher for businesses obviously but it's nowhere near €1000.

Well I think that's right...

Ah now I understand. Well I just checked eBay and the same graphics card for the same US price has an importation charge of $80 US into Ireland.

Your cousin could open a business for Irish shoppers :)

Absolutely, cause no one minds the IRS and EU Customs raiding you for tax evasion :D:p

Was looking at Amazon US myself last night. The €80 is like a deposit and if it's less, they'll refund you. Though dunno if they declare or just wait to see if they're asked. I assume they declare it

• Advertisement

Absolutely, cause no one minds the IRS and EU Customs raiding you for tax evasion :D:p

Pfft

Now looking at amazon.de and all because brother is home from Germany for a visit next month. Looking quickly and can get a 970 for €40 cheaper than dabs.

I've also just received my code for The Witcher 3 as per the nvidia promo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Even if you get something posted as a gift from outside the EU, it can still be taxed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can get the 970 on hardwareversand for around €350-400 (depending on the version). And stick that into https://geizhals.de/ and you'd get €10-15 off the retail price.

Kiith wrote: »
    You can get the 970 on hardwareversand for around €350-400 (depending on the version). And stick that into https://geizhals.de/ and you'd get €10-15 off the retail price.

Does that have the witcher 3 promo code? If you Dont want it might get €20-€30 for it on eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Atm I am playing games on my laptop (I know I know). Was thinking about building a custom machine and I've been looking at the pc building upgrading forum. I have a 40" Samsung led tv that I connect my laptop to to watch shows. I connected it up before and got a wireless keyboard and mouse, when browsing the likes of boards it was difficult to make out the text. My question is will it be any good for gaming or would I be better off with a monitor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Atm I am playing games on my laptop (I know I know). Was thinking about building a custom machine and I've been looking at the pc building upgrading forum. I have a 40" Samsung led tv that I connect my laptop to to watch shows. I connected it up before and got a wireless keyboard and mouse, when browsing the likes of boards it was difficult to make out the text. My question is will it be any good for gaming or would I be better off with a monitor?

It's mainly personal preference (quite) a few years ago I had a 40" monitor at the end of the bed hooked up to a PC running SLI 8800 GTX' and using mouse & k.board USB extenders. I got used to gaming with the screen >2 metres away quite easily, not much cop for work etc. I used a laptop for that. hen I went back to desk mounted monitor gaming, it took me a while to get used to gaming sitting up.

I would think you would find your TV is too big to use as a monitor up close, but if you do build a PC nearly every decent GPU on the market today supports multiple monitors so you could play on the TV using an xbox controller or similar and pick up a 24-27" monitor for other stuff.

Most TVs are around 70ms response time. Which for the more 'competitive gamer' isn't remotely close to what they'd like.

Monitors on the other hand are around the 5ms and under. Mines a 1ms UHD 28" but its overkill. I got a great deal on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Is it true you get a copy of the Witcher 3 if you buy the GTX 970 from HWVS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Its listed as gratis on the 970's product pages. Also could add it to your order in the special requests section while doing the bank transfer. They usually do have keys when these promotions are on but its as well reminding them you expect to get it. They have been known to not include them and a customer support email is required to get the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Mr Blobby wrote: »

yep, i got one. when you get your delivery, you email them your sales/invoice no. and they will send back a code/link to claim the game on gog.

from the site

"AKTIONSBEDINGUNGEN

Dieses Angebot gilt nur für GeForce® GTX™ 960, 970 oder 980 Grafikkarten oder Notebooks mit 970M (oder höherem) Grafikprozessor. Das Angebot gilt nur für begrenzte Zeit und solange der Vorrat reicht. Das Angebot gilt nur bei teilnehmenden Händlern. Überprüfe anhand der Produktbeschreibung der Grafikkarte bzw. des Notebooks, dass das erworbene Modell auch die Spiele enthält. Das Angebot kann weiteren Bedingungen unterliegen.

Bitte wenden Sie sich nach dem Kauf mit Ihrer Rechnungsnummer an unseren Kundenservice unter 01805 / 11 51 52 (0,14 €/Min. aus dem Festnetz, Mobilfunk max. 0,42 €/Min.) oder schicken Sie uns eine E-Mail an kundenservice@hardwareversand.de, um Ihren Spiele-Code zu erhalten."

and in english via google translate

"ACTION AND CONDITIONS

This offer is only for GeForce® GTX ™ 960, 970 or 980 graphics card or notebook with 970M (or higher) graphics processor. The offer is valid only for a limited time and while supplies last. Offer valid only at participating retailers. Check on the basis of the product description of the graphics card or the notebook that the acquired model also includes the games. The offer may be subject to additional conditions.

Please contact after the purchase with your invoice number to our customer service at 01805/11 51 52 (0.14 € / min. From a landline, mobile phone max. € 0.42 / min.) Or send us an email to kundenservice@hardwareversand.de to get your game code."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pro evo or fifa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Turtwig wrote: »
    Pro evo or fifa?

This is the first post I have seen on football games in the pc forum since I signed up. Weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pro evo or fifa?

Sadly FIFA if you intend on turning the game on and actually playing a game online.

PES if your into the SP side of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Pro evo or fifa?

on PC, Fifa 15 is the same as the current gen consoles with potentially better graphics/resolution.

Pro Evo is worse than the console versions, having more in common with the 360/PS3 versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sucumbed to that tasty Batman pre-order, though my CPU is the lowest supported one! (i5 750)

Would rather not have to get a whole new system for this. :(

I see they're bundling both Arkham Knight and Witcher 3 with the 970 and 980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This is the first post I have seen on football games in the pc forum since I signed up. Weird

That's cause they are ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

That's cause they are ****.

Wash your mouth out!

FM15 is amazing!

Advertisement