Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Hate may be a bit strong. I dislike having to maintain a second library of games. I dislike that they are mostly (all?) EA specific; why bother? Imagine all companies did this. I find myself not playing / reinstalling the games because of this.

It feels like crapware to me but maybe that's just because I don't want to be forced to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mine is a G10s I find this the perfect balance between tactile response and noise (and aesthetics I guess). Don't know if I could deal with clickity clack with ever motion I make in a game. I imagine my GF wouldn't be too impressed either :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Mine is a G10s I find this the perfect balance between tactile response and noise (and aesthetics I guess). Don't know if I could deal with clickity clack with ever motion I make in a game. I imagine my GF wouldn't be too impressed either :D
    I have the logitech g710+, I find it very nice to use. Its not too loud [but its not silent either!] and gives you the proper mechanical keyboard experience.

I would imagine most of the noise is down to the user and how hard they actually hit the keys. I have been in offices where the standard dell keyboards have taken an awful beating... cant imagine what it would have been like had they been using mechanical keyboards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I love the noise of this keyboard. They also ship with O rings so you can dampen the sound under the keys but whats the point? I want all my friends to hear me typing through game chat :D

The typing activation setting is fun also, every time you press a button whilst typing, the keys light up then fade out. No real practical use for me but its fun none the less.

I like typing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Nearly.

They feel great to type on though. Going back to a rubber dome keyboard is like typing on a sponge.

sinclair-zxspectrum.jpg

pffft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What's so great about mechanical keyboards? I have a Logitech gaming keyboard which seems perfectly fine. Doesn't the mechanical one sound like a typewriter when you hit the keys?

They can be pretty loud. They're much nicer to type on. I'm unconvinced of any benefit for gaming for your average gamer. I think I'd go mad with combination of tactile and linear keys on the G710+ though if I was typing a long document! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

d31b0y wrote: »
    Hate may be a bit strong. I dislike having to maintain a second library of games. I dislike that they are mostly (all?) EA specific; why bother? Imagine all companies did this. I find myself not playing / reinstalling the games because of this.

It feels like crapware to me but maybe that's just because I don't want to be forced to use it.
    The bothering part comes from the fact that most companies would probably prefer not to have Valve take ~30% of every sale. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Can you not just add the game to your Steam library and forget about maintaining your Origin one? Add a game... > Add a non-Steam game, or, Games > Add a non-Steam game to my library... I do it to keep track of what GOG.com and Origin games I have installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Nollog

Can you not just add the game to your Steam library and forget about maintaining your Origin one? Add a game... > Add a non-Steam game, or, Games > Add a non-Steam game to my library... I do it to keep track of what GOG.com and Origin games I have installed.

you should install steam on another computer then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I have all my games added in my steam library,and sorted in categories:eek:
    I had to when I went over the 100 games mark:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anybody got any decent recomendations for a WW2 shooter?

Not interested in multiplayer for this one. Purely looking for a good single player campaign. The medal of honour war chest in the latest humble bundle has me nostalgic but ive already played all of those games. Also played sniper elite amd wolfenstein so there out as well. Was thinking of modding Arma 2,something like escape hitler but i would prefer a bit more story. Was considering COD:WAW,although ive played it a good few times i loved the campaign in that game. Especially the co op

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

EoinHef wrote: »

Not interested in multiplayer for this one. Purely looking for a good single player campaign. The medal of honour war chest in the latest humble bundle has me nostalgic but ive already played all of those games. Also played sniper elite amd wolfenstein so there out as well. Was thinking of modding Arma 2,something like escape hitler but i would prefer a bit more story. Was considering COD:WAW,although ive played it a good few times i loved the campaign in that game. Especially the co op

Red Orchestra 2?

Red Orchestra 2?

Think i actually have that on steam:(

Bought it for rising storm multiplayer and never checked to see if it had a campaign. Heroes of stalingrad goty edition or something with loads of content. Would i have RO2 in that?

Watched a trailer and looks pretty good.

Think i actually have that on steam:(

Bought it for rising storm multiplayer and never checked to see if it had a campaign. Heroes of stalingrad goty edition or something with loads of content. Would i have RO2 in that?

Watched a trailer and looks pretty good.

Wolfenstein :)

Have played a bit of wolfenstein,not got very far in it yet as most of my time has been spent online in gta v recently. Its one i definitely will be going back to but im after more of a authentic* WW2 experience. Games like COD 3 and COD WAW,medal of honour etc

Currently downloading Red Orchestra 2. Turns out i have it but i never installed it:o Just played Rising Storm mp. Gonna give it a try and see how it goes

*I do use the word authentic loosely here in relation to the mentioned games:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Call of Duty 2. COD 2 was pretty good when I played it 10 years ago, cannot believe it was 10 years ago looked it up as well.

I recently got Enemy Front in a Bundle Stars deal and it might scratch your itch

and you get 9 other games for €5.62 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Red Orchestra 2 for sure but be warned.... it's pretty freaking hardcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Brothers In Arms is the only series i think that wasn't mentioned...

Having a problem with the version of red orchestra i have,single player campaign is greyed out in the start menu:(

Its also listed as a beta in steam library.

This is what i bought and from what i can see i should have Red Orchstra 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

About This Game
    About This Game
    INCLUDES ALL RED ORCHESTRA 2 MULTIPLAYER CONTENT!

No mention of the single player campaign, I'm afraid.

d31b0y wrote: »
    About This Game

No mention of the single player campaign, I'm afraid.

Dam,i missed that:(

Thanks for pointing it out.

Might check a few of the key sites and see if any of the suggested games can be got for cheap. Enemy front looks good,had a quick look at a trailer there.

Had forgotten about brothers in arms as well. I think i may have only played one of them.

Really it should say 'Expansion pack for Red Orchestra 2' somewhere
    The way it is done, it looks like a stand alone game.....No where does it say you need the base game Red Orchestra 2 to play. In fact the way it's worded it is totally misleading......This really winds me up this type of advertising.....
    'Rising Storm is the next game in the award-winning Red Orchestra franchise. You know the great gameplay, innovative features and realistic audio and graphics of RO2 - Rising Storm will take this to the Pacific Theater, adding even more features, new levels, new weapons and new factions. The game will allow the player to fight across iconic locations from the famous island-hopping campaigns in the Pacific from 1942 to 1945, as the US Army and Marine Corps fight it out with the Imperial Japanese army and Special Naval Landing Forces. Players will experience beach assaults, jungle fighting, close quarters night fighting and more across Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Saipan, among other iconic battles. The player is able to take the part of either side – American or Japanese – battling it out online in multiplayer on up to 64-player servers.'

In fairness i probably should have looked into it more when i bought it,i think it was a sale purchase.

Its not very clear though in regards to what your actually getting on the steam store page. They could definitely do with improving that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bought it during a sale and never noticed that, i did want it for SP and MP.

I have it as 2 entries in my Steam account as SP and MP

7u5JnIv.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Is phishing much of an issue on Steam? Haven't been using it long, someone tried to send me to steamcomrnily to trade with a friend.

Is phishing much of an issue on Steam? Haven't been using it long, someone tried to send me to steamcomrnily to trade with a friend.

Yup young lad has been stung before, mostly for items in his inventory not his account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Skerries wrote: »

7u5JnIv.png
    I've 2 entries as well. I remember I got it free when they were giving it away for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Never ever click on any link sent to you across Steam.

• Advertisement

Never ever click on any link sent to you across Steam.

I opened the page out of curiosity, didn't type in any details obviously. Got another friend request from a Level 0 today.

Possibly because there's a direct link to my page on the ID Thread I presume. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I opened the page out of curiosity, didn't type in any details obviously. Got another friend request from a Level 0 today.

Possibly because there's a direct link to my page on the ID Thread I presume. Oh well.

I get three to four invites a day. Ignore All is handy. :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

yea, I got one a week or two ago with a link to a trojan virus. Reported the account and blocked it.

Skerries wrote: »

7u5JnIv.png

I have two entries for Rising Storm and just one for Red Orchestra 2. The heroes of stalingrad beta one. No single player at all in any of it:( Shame,was enjoying the look of the game in a few vids i watched.

On another note,is there an All things Arma thread anywhere?

Cant find any major thread,it mostly seems to be small threads with only a few posts. Been messing around hosting missions locally and id love to see if i can get a few boardsies in to play with and to see what sort of player count i could manage. Hoping 5 would be do able.

Regarding the thread question,could there be enough interest to have an All Things ArmA 2/3 thread in PC Gaming? I know a few people here play and might be nice to have a place to talk about it if they want.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Endless Legends is free to play this weekend. Supposed to be excellent.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289130/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Heard stories that even clicking the link was enough.

Heard of one account who could steal stuff from your Steam Inventory by just adding you as a friend.

Could be all made up though.

Got 2 lvl 0 friend requests the other day,i wouldnt mind but i normally have my profile set to viewable by friends only and had only made it public for about 24hrs and recieved the two requests in that time. Needless to say,profile went back to private the next day and both requests were deleted without opening them.

Cant find any major thread,it mostly seems to be small threads with only a few posts. Been messing around hosting missions locally and id love to see if i can get a few boardsies in to play with and to see what sort of player count i could manage. Hoping 5 would be do able.

Regarding the thread question,could there be enough interest to have an All Things ArmA 2/3 thread in PC Gaming? I know a few people here play and might be nice to have a place to talk about it if they want.

Should easily get 5, I would be up for a few coop games.

I just hate that some missions have crappy forced weapons, I usually add an ammo box to them :P

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Should easily get 5, I would be up for a few coop games.

I just hate that some missions have crappy forced weapons, I usually add an ammo box to them :P

Yeah good stuff man,its normally just me and a friend who play together but id like to get a few more in. We have messed around mostly with DUWS,DUWS modified,a few BI missions and some random stuff from the workshop. Using the allinterrain pack also so have plenty of maps to play on.

Not sure exactly when ill get on but ill fire you off a PM and see if your about.

EDIT: Also gonna try that new end game mission on gaellords if your about when im on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

skyrim on sale this weekend.. delighted. 3.74 for a massive game

cant wait to see it on pc loved it on xbox 360
    A whole other beast :D

Mods will kill us for OT posting but don't even attempt to play it Vanilla! Nexusmods.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This game really does look fascinating.

I hadn't realised that you could import any MP3 file into the game and play it with it.

Me too,
    Here's what I have installed from the Steam workshop:
    Lanterns of Skyrim
    realistic rag dolls and force
    unread books glow
    Stones of Berenziah Quest markers
    Realistic Lighting
    Improved interior lighting
    Better embers
    Pure waters
    and of course: Caliente's body mod and Caliente's Vanilla armour
    It's insane the difference in the look of the water and lighting effects....ENJOY!

Heard stories that even clicking the link was enough.

Heard of one account who could steal stuff from your Steam Inventory by just adding you as a friend.

Could be all made up though.

Thanks for the heads up, didn't even know this was a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

My Origin account got hacked, first time anything like this has happened to me...

And it's an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE getting it back. Completely fobbed off on livechat despite providing cdkeys I've redeemed. Has anyone any experience of this?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

My Origin account got hacked, first time anything like this has happened to me...

And it's an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE getting it back. Completely fobbed off on livechat despite providing cdkeys I've redeemed. Has anyone any experience of this?!
    If the CD key is right along with your details then they should be fine with it. Happened to me once and got back within a few mins. I'd say try again with a different person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Started playing Insurgency. Damn I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Me too,
    Here's what I have installed from the Steam workshop:
    Lanterns of Skyrim
    realistic rag dolls and force
    unread books glow
    Stones of Berenziah Quest markers
    Realistic Lighting
    Improved interior lighting
    Better embers
    Pure waters
    and of course: Caliente's body mod and Caliente's Vanilla armour
    It's insane the difference in the look of the water and lighting effects....ENJOY!

I suddenly find myself with a bit of free time. So I finally get to get stuck into Skyrim for the first time. Exciting! :)

I took advantage of the steam bargain price over the weekend. Would you recommend playing vanilla Skyrim for a first-time play through? Or should I mod it from the very start?
    Also, a follow on question... If I download some of the mods you mentioned from Nexus mods, can Steam block them on my steam copy of Skyrim? I assume Steam want people to source mods directly from them?

Can't wait to get out of work and get stuck in to Skyrim! :)

Thanks

I suddenly find myself with a bit of free time. So I finally get to get stuck into Skyrim for the first time. Exciting! :)

I took advantage of the steam bargain price over the weekend. Would you recommend playing vanilla Skyrim for a first-time play through? Or should I mod it from the very start?
    Also, a follow on question... If I download some of the mods you mentioned from Nexus mods, can Steam block them on my steam copy of Skyrim? I assume Steam want people to source mods directly from them?

Can't wait to get out of work and get stuck in to Skyrim! :)

Thanks

Mod it from the start, using a few choice mods. My recommendations are Cloaks of Skyrim, Configurable Auto Saver, Kace Auto Loot, Point The Way, Midas Magic, Dovahkiin Perks, The Unoffical Patch, SkyUI, Catergorized Favourites Menu, SKSE and Better World Map. Mainly improvements to the game.

They can all be gotten from the Nexus, use the nexus mod manager. Workshop and Nexus mods can be mixed, but are installed differently if you use the managers.

Would you recommend playing vanilla Skyrim for a first-time play through? Or should I mod it from the very start?

Start it up, play for about an hour or so, then add mods, fire it up, then change your underpants:eek:

[/QUOTE]Also, a follow on question... If I download some of the mods you mentioned from Nexus mods, can Steam block them on my steam copy of Skyrim[/QUOTE]

Should be all compatible, they say you should add one mod at a time and check if game runs ok, but go for it, if there's a problem, get rid of some and then it's just trial and error, but it's usually pretty stable:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement