Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know what's scary to think of?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 laurinjames

aye

The old testament. holy fcuk!

makes you wonder why Jesus bruoght the new testament out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

ah yes defend the bible because it was "corrected", why not do away with the old testament altogether then?
    I think you misunderstand, they are two different sentences, science does not deal with spirituality any more than it deals with art or poetry or other aspects of human spirit. They are entirely different fields. Science can tell you how create an atomic bomb, it cannot ever tell you if you should use it or not.

and yet, you want to use it to explain why when one dies, the spirit carries on?
    ok then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Hell is going to be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 laurinjames

ah yes defend the bible because it was "corrected", why not do away with the old testament altogether then?

Defend what ? The only reason the OT exists in christianity is because JC quoted it, this is very basic stuff.
    ah yes defend the bible because it was "corrected", why not do away with the old testament altogether then? and yet, you want to use it to explain why when one dies, the spirit carries on?
    ok then

If you want to pretend what people say, rather than what they have there is little point in talking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Multi-million dollar publishing deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Logical reasoning. The only part of the bible that's true "from ashes to ashes, dust to dust"

Wasn't that David Bowie?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

I often think of ending it all.if all we do is scratch around for 60/70 years just to die with a spent carcass atthe end.and there is no heaven god ect why even bother having a conscience at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

But did he really? I mean did he write any of it? did he publish it? did he even spell check it? you say he "brought it out" but really what exact part did he write himself or have any input in? I mean an Elvis signature is worth a few hundred thousand now a days so would an original bible or even a cheap copy with a copy of his original signature not be worth millions where one to actually exist?

Although I can tell you why the "The New Testament" was brought out ("brought out" seems such a weird phrase tbh), it was because in the old testament people were just told that if they were good they would go to heaven, it was their reward for being pious but, as humans are wont to do, the reward wasn't enough to maintain the pious status so then the new testament was brought out with a concept of hell and the devil, they couldn't control the masses with rewards so they changed it and controlled them with fear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Spooky : just happened on this thread as i'm about to read a few pages of my new book More Than This by Patrick Ness, about a young fellow who drowns, dies, and ... Wakes up, somewhere, alone, trying to figure out where he is.
    Only started, interesting so far though. Patrick Ness is good at drawing the reader into a strange universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,350 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I hope there is not an after life no way do I want to go heaven and be surrounded by eejits playing the harp for eternity.

Hell would be too warm for me. Anything over 18c and I get moany.

Purgatory? I suppose that would be like waiting for Irish Water to answer the phone for an eternity.

None of these appeal to me.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I do often think of this topic too.
    (I'm not a believer in religion)
    I would like to believe we come back at some stage, when you think about it, life would be a total waste if we didn't? We only have one chance. In my mind, it's not fair. I have been terrified of the thought of death since I was in primary school. Started questioning everything; why this life, why this body, etc.
    It messes with your head if you think about it for too long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

People often explain death as being the same as it was before you were born.Usually so you will give the reply "I cant remember anything before i was born" and then they say "Exactly!".

But not remembering something doesnt mean it didnt happen or nothing happened.Lots could have happened too you well before you were even concieved.

You cant remember being in your mothers womb.It still happened.

And i bet if while you were still in her womb, someone had told you that there was an outside world that you would go to one day you would have completely dismissed it as that womb is the only world and place you would have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

I often think of ending it all.if all we do is scratch around for 60/70 years just to die with a spent carcass atthe end.and there is no heaven god ect why even bother having a conscience at all

I often think the same.If you just go through life to watch people you know or love die around you, than what is the point? Whats the point of building relationships/life or any of it if were all separated by death, a lot of the time very prematurely, never to meet again?

Its just a cycle of unavoidable misery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Be careful what you wish for. With obesity levels increasing worldwide, you might very well end up as a bra supporting some man boobs.

Dear god no... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

COYVB wrote: »
    Those worms, maggots and plant life won't be around for anything even starting to half resemble a millionth of a percentage of forever

And they die and decompose and are consumed by other creatures and plants and it happens ad infinitum. So we all continue on in the bellies/cells of something else. I'm happy to think that I will become sustenance for billions of other life forms, no matter how small those bites will become :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Senna wrote: »
    Nope, once you're gone you're gone.

Unfortunately, I think its the case. I try steer myself away from thinking things like this, but it comes into my head a lot, you never know when it might happen, I worry a bit about some of my older family, that they will be in fear and know when they are close to death, but it takes all, young old.
    I haven't seen it in real life, where someone was dying and begged to stay, but some good (authentic) films that portray dying soldiers, I was told by a WW2 veteran that it is true, people beg to go home, see their familiy and children and mothers when those around them cant save them, because innately we know or suspect the afterlife aint happening.
    Macavity. wrote: »
    When you die, that's it. Anything else would be terrifying to me.
    I dont know if it would terrify me, hypothetically. I could probably quite happily go on if it were possible.
    DazMarz wrote: »
    I want to be reincarnated as a bra

Yes but of what?
    Being dead forever. Scary to think about but good thing you won't know anything about it when it happens. What else is scary is you were dead for 14 billion years before you were born. Have good long think about that and your head will start to hurt.

We didnt know because we weren't here, and we wont know afterwards because we wont be around.
    Being eternally aware of yourself sounds awful. I like the idea we all have only a limited time here, make the best of it and don't worry about what happens at the end as nothing you can do will change it. This idea that there's pearly gates and nice man with a beard up there forever is just nonsense peddled to sell bibles.

Sell bibles, if people didnt have hope, its possible control of populations would be very difficult, it was more about control I would think, as for the Bibles, well there were religions before christianity so whatever they were peddling. Religious disputes are for the insane.
    It is and it's free, several versions of it too. I'd recommend everyone reads it, it was what finally turned me off believing in God. If more Christians read their bibles there'd be a lot less Christians. There's some horrific stuff in there.
    Maybe its a better read than I thought, we had a big bible at home, old and new testament I think, heavy going, Im sure there are some good stories/parable in there.
    FanadMan wrote: »
    When you die you live on forever......in the worms, maggots and plant life around the grave. It's an endless cycle of life, death and rebirth.
    And in stars, we are all made of stars, in some way you hear this hippy dippy stuff that we are all connected and then some science stuff comes along that suggests we actually are all connected, some of the matter in our bodies and the earth and everywhere came from supernovas.
    I read recently about something on the speed of light related to space travel and how impossible it would be in practice, there was a part about the speed of photons and photons splitting but still being influenced by each other no matter where they were in the universe, heavy shhit.
    Laois6556 wrote: »
    In a couple of hundred years a persons life expectancy will be 500 years old. Can you imagine that? Being alive for 500 years. Wow.
    So, we'll be working for hundreds of years? and then ****ting our pants for what? the last hundred? or just for the super rich? Sorry to throw in a damp squib but, Id be suprised if humanity makes it as a modern civilisation in a few hundred years, we'll likely hit some ecological and potentially some other man made disaster if we stay on the course we are on long before we get to super long lives, and I cant see anything that will wrest the control from those that have it and hence the direction we are taking. We will more likely be at shorter life expectancies and eking out an existence.

In some ways I try not to think about it, in others it spurs you on to do better, but then it also annoys you when you come across pettiness and trivialities among people oblivious to it or who rely on an afterlife so carry on treating people ****tily regardless, and by that I dont mean everything is trivial.
    Yes OP it is scary, its good to have a good laugh, I think I need to get my hands on some Monty Python, meaning of life and life of Brian, and dig out my copy of hitchhikers guide and finish it this time, 42 thats it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

BBDBB wrote: »
    There can be only one!

Polygamy ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bigdavyj

No, this isn't a religious belief thread.

When you die, does everything stop forever or do you live on forever in some after life? I mean, picture a circle and pick a starting point on that circle. When you live your life, you have gone around that circle fully. Then what? That's it? Everything stops completely? Or you keep looping in some other life forever?

I can picture it in my head better than I explain it in words. It's weird to think about. It makes you really want to live your life to the fullest instead of just going through the process of life until it's over.

Taking it that you mean does our spirit/taughts live on forever in another body/ after life after you die....

Question: We have a population now of 7.2 Billion, but back in 1950 there was a population of only 2.5 billion...so back in 1950 there were 4.7 Billion spirits floating about with no human host to occupy. Are we in a circle or loop?

Answer: We're a freak of nature, a evolutionary miracle that evolved from a single cell organism billions of years ago and we're multiplying like f#*?. Your dragged into life kicking and screaming, i just hope for a peaceful ( float away) kind of ending when my time comes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    When you die, that's it IMO. It's nothing, just like before you were born. But in reality, who knows?

Pretty much how I feel about it also. We won't know until we go so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

When you are gone you are gone

I do believe that just after you die there is brain activity / some level of consciousness which would be like being asleep / in a dream but within a few mins your brain cells will start to die due to lack of oxygen and you will then be gone.

I wonder what the world would be like if we confirmed that there was no afterlife / all religions are bull. I genuinely think it would be a better place.

People who believe in a heaven are deluded IMO. We are animals on this planet, like a smarter , self aware primate. What makes us so special that we have a heaven. Do other animals have a heaven. When you swat a fly does it go to fly heaven ?

I actually found a lot of peace in accepting that when it's over then it's over.

Enjoy the time you have left. It's a bit ticking clock that you can't stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 andrewlee

Interesting. I feel you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Tzardine wrote: »

I do believe that just after you die there is brain activity / some level of consciousness which would be like being asleep / in a dream but within a few mins your brain cells will start to die due to lack of oxygen and you will then be gone.

I wonder what the world would be like if we confirmed that there was no afterlife / all religions are bull. I genuinely think it would be a better place.

People who believe in a heaven are deluded IMO. We are animals on this planet, like a smarter , self aware primate. What makes us so special that we have a heaven. Do other animals have a heaven. When you swat a fly does it go to fly heaven ?

I actually found a lot of peace in accepting that when it's over then it's over.

Denial, anger, acceptance?
    I think if it was proven there was no afterlife, well it could never really be conclusive, people wouldnt accept it even if it was somehow conclusive. It might be more likely for it to be proven it does exist than not, as thats not going to happen, then neither will the former.
    But as a hypothetical, if it was proven, people wouldnt accept it, if they came around to accepting it, there would be panic and probably disorder, widespread, and maybe after that we might move on to something better. That could take decades or just a few years, religious wars have been fought for hundreds of years vying for preeminence, people might even say or even believe they are still being fought now after thousands of years.

If there is some kind of afterlife, it isnt with the spirits of fish and wooly mammoths and your grand parents going around, and Jesus and Buddha and God all sitting at the head of the table, but maybe some kind of universal elemental thing? not a consciousness as such, but just returning to where we came from? the universe, ehh what was the question again? errr 42 or 46.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I believe there's an afterlife

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Do people in the afterlife call the afterlife just life, the previous life beforelife and believe in another afterlife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I haven't decided yet if I believe in an afterlife or reincarnation or just nothingness, but I will say this. Even if it is nothingness, you shouldn't be afraid because you wont actually be able to feel fear or anything. You will not be aware of the nothingness. It will be like before you were born.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Tzardine wrote: »

I agree, life is so precious. Being someone who suffers from depression, I find it hard to even get out of bed, I'm physically healthy though, which makes me feel guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nietzsche believed that you lived your life over and over again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What if the light at the end of the tunnell isn't heaven but the opening of another vagina? :eek:

I'm firmly of the belief that we're a freak of nature and once the electricity in your brain stops firing, you're nothing but a lump of decomposing flesh.

And I find that far more comforting than any notions of an afterlife tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

COYVB wrote: »
    Those worms, maggots and plant life won't be around for anything even starting to half resemble a millionth of a percentage of forever
    /pedant

0.000001% of forever is forever...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

if you die and you dont believe in an "afterlife" then, you're just dead, but you wont know you're dead, so it's grand. you'll just be nothing. nothing is better than being aware of your dead state imo.

yuck - hate all that deep thinking though. always end up going off on mad tangents thinking about the universe etc. hahaha its gas though! better than anything on rte i suppose.

Advertisement