Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know what's scary to think of?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't think they're doing hell anymore,just a tactic to scare the masses.
    Don't believe religion has much to do with God.If he has anything to do with Catholicism I think I'd opt for eternal blackness.

I don't believe in the Chrisitian God so the rules dont apply to me, same as the rules for reincarnation and Hinduism don't apply to Christians. It's much easier to just see the whole thing as nonsense and live a good life without worrying about a boogeyman in the sky watching you naked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Where you alive before this? if not then you can assume that it isn't a circle, now don't get me wrong it is great to think that you are the one thing in the whole of creation that really exists whereas 15 billion years of Earth burning, of dinosaurs living and dying, of mammals evolving will prove you wrong so really what makes you think that for all the life that has died in the last 250 million years you are the one specific life that deserves preferential treatment? Death isn't a circle but take solace that death isn't an experience either, when you die you die, you end so you won't be there to experience it. If you believe you somehow do experience it then technically you are religious because you believe in an afterlife

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Never is there a promising hopefull certainty - regardless the school of thought.
    Or concise solid answers.
    Yet bad sht happens all the time and the questions are fking impossible.
    Giant psstake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Chunners wrote: »
    Where you alive before this?
    Who's to say you weren't. Life could be an algorithimic loop for one persons consciousness.

Chunners wrote: »
    if not then you can assume that it isn't a circle, now don't get me wrong it is great to think that you are the one thing in the whole of creation that really exists whereas 15 billion years of Earth burning, of dinosaurs living and dying, of mammals evolving will prove you wrong so really what makes you think that for all the life that has died in the last 250 million years you are the one specific life that deserves preferential treatment? Death isn't a circle but take solace that death isn't an experience either, when you die you die, you end so you won't be there to experience it. If you believe you somehow do experience it then technically you are religious because you believe in an afterlife
    Life might not be linear,which is something which is under investigation at the moment in terms of time. If time isn't linear then life isn't linear and therefore could run parallel right now to what we perceive as 250 million years ago. Just different planes on the same level.

Deep ****,but when it all boils down to it nobody knows except those burned in urns or buried in the ground. Even though i wouldn't be a believer of an afterlife as such, i don't think something can cease to exist. Once something exists it exists if it never existed it doesn't exist which brings us back to loop theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

You can live on in the memories of others or a legacy if you are lucky enough to leave one... so make sure you make lots of positive memories with people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Well, if there's an afterlife wouldn't everything that has ever died be in it? Seems like it would be a very annoying place full of dinosaurs and Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

What intrigues me most about death is that if, as I believe, when you die that's it, then that means at the precise point of death everything that has ever existed ceases to have ever existed for you (including, and because of, your consciousness and memory). That's an incredibly difficult thing to get your head around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Blay wrote: »
    Liv evry day lik its ur last hun

wil doo, tah luv.

cha me ohn beboh der hun xxxxx

Haha :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Who's to say you weren't. Life could be an algorithimic loop for one persons consciousness.

Life might not be linear,which is something which is under investigation at the moment in terms of time. If time isn't linear then life isn't linear and therefore could run parallel right now to what we perceive as 250 million years ago. Just different planes on the same level.

Deep ****,but when it all boils down to it nobody knows except those burned in urns or buried in the ground. Even though i wouldn't be a believer of an afterlife as such, i don't think something can cease to exist. Once something exists it exists if it never existed it doesn't exist which brings us back to loop theory.

Thats a valid point that needed to be made by some moron but really if time wasn't linear how many other morons have to try prove that time isn't linear before they die and go into this other universe where they can no longer prove that time isn't linear?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

Be careful what you wish for. With obesity levels increasing worldwide, you might very well end up as a bra supporting some man boobs.

hairy man boobs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

When you die you live on forever......in the worms, maggots and plant life around the grave. It's an endless cycle of life, death and rebirth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

FanadMan wrote: »
    When you die you live on forever......in the worms, maggots and plant life around the grave. It's an endless cycle of life, death and rebirth.

Those worms, maggots and plant life won't be around for anything even starting to half resemble a millionth of a percentage of forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

If there is an afterlife, I hope there's tea. Spending Infinity without a cup of tea would be nothing short of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Why do people over complicate this question with circle metaphors and "no one knows" bulls*it?

We're talking monkeys on a rock in space. When we die our brains stop working which causes our thoughts to cease. End of story. Much in the same way as a dog or a rat or a cabbage. Why would people assume any differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Why do people over complicate this question with circle metaphors and "no one knows" bulls*it?

We're talking monkeys on a rock in space. When we die our brains stop working which causes our thoughts to cease. End of story. Much in the same way as a dog or a rat or a cabbage. Why would people assume any differently?

Because the universe and existence isn't as simple as was previously thought.time is a lot more complex also and in another universe events already finished in this universe might only be unfolding.start reading up on quantum mechanics and the like and you'll see how mental the universe really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

if you give a dog some food and it doesnt eat it, what does it actually taste like to the dog? they lick their own asses, surely there cant be things less appetizing than dog poo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

In a couple of hundred years a persons life expectancy will be 500 years old. Can you imagine that? Being alive for 500 years. Wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 laurinjames

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only change form.

I think the things you do in life and your spirit live on.

Laois6556 wrote: »
    In a couple of hundred years a persons life expectancy will be 500 years old. Can you imagine that? Being alive for 500 years. Wow.

Cripes, it's hard enough to get through the 80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Laois6556 wrote: »
    they'll have to figure out a new formula to replace 'half your age plus 7'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

The 400 year old lads will be after the young wans. I got myself a beauty, she's only 112. I still gots it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yeah, the energy is converted into grass and wood and cows and worms and crows and cats and....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

"I want to be reincarnated as your tampon" what would your response be? - a famous quote spoken by Prince Charles to Camilla Parker .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

It is and it's free, several versions of it too. I'd recommend everyone reads it, it was what finally turned me off believing in God. If more Christians read their bibles there'd be a lot less Christians. There's some horrific stuff in there.

aye

The old testament. holy fcuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

misunderstanding of science,

A soul/spirit whateverdafuq you want to call it, is not "energy".

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Remember before you were born? No? Well it's just like that. The world continues to exist but you can no long perceive it as you no longer exist.

misunderstanding of science,

A soul/spirit whateverdafuq you want to call it, is not "energy".

I think you misunderstand, they are two different sentences, science does not deal with spirituality any more than it deals with art or poetry or other aspects of human spirit. They are entirely different fields. Science can tell you how create an atomic bomb, it cannot ever tell you if you should use it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Bit of a cop out to just dismiss an afterlife out if hand,I would have thought.

Remember before you were born? No? Well it's just like that. The world continues to exist but you can no long perceive it as you no longer exist.

Then nothing you do really matters in the the scheme of things.

What if you are wrong though, what if you find yourself existing in another state or spirit, what then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

I think it's all beyond our comprehension tbh! I know a family who lost both of their sons within two years - just heart breaking and they were devastated naturally - there were some signs to them from beyond .... many signs actually that couldn't be explained unless from beyond ...! I wouldn't waste time trying to explain it - I would just enjoy the connection - no one should die young!:(

Advertisement