Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know what's scary to think of?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭

No, this isn't a religious belief thread.

When you die, does everything stop forever or do you live on forever in some after life? I mean, picture a circle and pick a starting point on that circle. When you live your life, you have gone around that circle fully. Then what? That's it? Everything stops completely? Or you keep looping in some other life forever?

I can picture it in my head better than I explain it in words. It's weird to think about. It makes you really want to live your life to the fullest instead of just going through the process of life until it's over.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Liv evry day lik its ur last hun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think there is an afterlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Nope, once you're gone you're gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

When you die, that's it. Anything else would be terrifying to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I want to be reincarnated as a bra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Being dead forever. Scary to think about but good thing you won't know anything about it when it happens. What else is scary is you were dead for 14 billion years before you were born. Have good long think about that and your head will start to hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

When you die, that's it IMO. It's nothing, just like before you were born. But in reality, who knows?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Its game over i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think there is an afterlife.

Of course there is. You won't be in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No-one knows, end of.

And when you die you will find out ...... or else you won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    When you die, that's it IMO. It's nothing, just like before you were born. But in reality, who knows?

Logical reasoning. The only part of the bible that's true "from ashes to ashes, dust to dust"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

DazMarz wrote: »
    I want to be reincarnated as a bra

Be careful what you wish for. With obesity levels increasing worldwide, you might very well end up as a bra supporting some man boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Would modern man interact with Neanderthals?
    What about animals?It would be
    presumptuous to think we are the only ones with a soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

There can be only one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Logical reasoning. The only part of the bible that's true "from ashes to ashes, dust to dust"

Is the bible available on kindle do you know, it could be my next book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Being eternally aware of yourself sounds awful. I like the idea we all have only a limited time here, make the best of it and don't worry about what happens at the end as nothing you can do will change it. This idea that there's pearly gates and nice man with a beard up there forever is just nonsense peddled to sell bibles.

Is the bible available on kindle do you know, it could be my next book.

It is and it's free, several versions of it too. I'd recommend everyone reads it, it was what finally turned me off believing in God. If more Christians read their bibles there'd be a lot less Christians. There's some horrific stuff in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Everlasting life is the thing that has scared me most ever since I was a pre teen I think.

When you're dead your dead. I hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

It never bothered me 'til I became a parent

Being eternally aware of yourself sounds awful. I like the idea we all have only a limited time here, make the best of it and don't worry about what happens at the end as nothing you can do will change it. This idea that there's pearly gates and nice man with a beard up there forever is just nonsense peddled to sell bibles.

Good to be open to possibilities is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Personally I hope there is no afterlife.

If there was is it better be good.

kneemos wrote: »
    Good to be open to possibilities is it not?

The possibility that we await eternal worship of a tyrannical god is absolutely terrifying to me.

The possibility that we await eternal worship of a tyrannical god is absolutely terrifying to me.

Well if your sure that's what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And who is to say God is the lovey dovey fella some portray him to be.

If there is a God he could be a Nazi loving, Pol Pot worshipping man or woman(or both) for all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Would modern man interact with Neanderthals?
    What about animals?It would be
    presumptuous to think we are the only ones with a soul.

In fairness, its pretty presumptuous to think we have a soul never mind neanderthals :)

I can assure you though that your Iphone has a soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm6YnAqPv4w

Well if your sure that's what happens.

If you're a Christian that's exactly what happens. Love me or burn in hell.

Nobody Knows :pac:

I'd be of the belief that when you're gone, you're gone. Humans can't comprehend the concept of "nothing" so it's very hard for us to imagine it. When we think of "nothing" we think of darkness, but even darkness is something.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I wish there was an afterlife so that I'd see people that I loved who had passed away again. But the logical side of me I doesn't believe that there is. I'd hope that in its dying moments that my brain creates a 'heaven' so I don't realise I'm going nowhere like how you often hear of people on their deathbeds 'seeing' their deceased loved ones in their dying moments.

But the thing I like to think of when I get a case of the deep thinkies about life and death is the Carl Sagan quote "The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff." It brings me comfort to think that my make up is aeons old already.

The idea we just turn back into what we came from is far more comforting to me than spending eternity in as Christopher Hitchens put it, "a celestial North Korea". Don't question the leader or he'll send you to hell.

• Advertisement

If you're a Christian that's exactly what happens. Love me or burn in hell.

Don't think they're doing hell anymore,just a tactic to scare the masses.
    Don't believe religion has much to do with God.If he has anything to do with Catholicism I think I'd opt for eternal blackness.

Advertisement