Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

UCC won by 4. Anyone at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

malascoile wrote: »

Made it mala scoil arrived late but cracking game eight goals
    Two by Mark dolan ucc
    Patrick Curran Waterford minor sensational performance

Made match tonight   arrived bit late though as I'd long drive to it.
    Big crowd at it imo such game
    Dry but wet ground bitterly cold, bit windy.

Ucc done a huge shock won freshers league final 4-15 to 4-10

Ul tom Morrisey, Alan Murphy, got goals for Ul while I'm not sure third goal crowd bodies trying to find needle from a haystack.

Ucc mark dolan got two superb goals one after one minute, missed it myself I said in post earlier he was superb player.
    Talk was ist goal was superb
    Second was imo.

He is and last year I said he was player unreal potential looks like Joe deane,smaller but what poise,touch,skill on wet slippery surface he's hurley and sliothar like a magnetic force, a super telepathic synotermy of touch and unity between both.
    He's touch no exaggeration is better most cork senior players in not just cork but other counties.
    Touch is awesome.
    Where he may struggle is at senior in physical wise however he has huge heart and huge bottle so in a full forward line with a big man he may be okay

Senior remains to be seen but tots for clare survives and Joe deane did.
    However id have him at 21 panel.
    I expected big things last year at minor and he went off the boil a bit but tonight was awesome
    Walsh and donal hannon who had a fine game got other goals.

Sean o donughe had good game at times however Morrisey did get goal and cause him bother
    I'm not convinced just yet

Niall cashman and ward out of positions had fine fine game and so did cormack at midfield

Patrick Curran Waterford minor had superb game some fielding of the ball. Hopefully this awesome talent win with ucc as he won't be winning anything in any grade with Waterford for a while imo.
    David Fitzgerald clare got sent off for getting two yellow cards with ten minutes to go

For Ul Bergin, galvin, Murphy,trevor horgan and the sub Quinn and tom Morrisey had good games.
    Ucc went in to lead and never relinquished it from the very ist minute, and went in to the lead and went up around eleven points one stage so huge comeback by ul.
    Good game,ul will be unhappy but starting slow cost them.
    On paper huge favourites for tonight and all ireland fresher in spring but this could be blessing in disguise as the workrate was missing tonight and if they get it back imo the team to beat

They did not play anywhere near their potential imo,be fair ucc didn't allow them to but they still were close in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Nice overview on each player for the Freshers Game TTM.
    Was anyone at the game? It would be very interesting to see who played well.

Also, is their any official Cork Senior Hurling training panel revealed yet?
    Reading article last week on JBM mentioning that he was trying out various lads out of the last few minor teams and the All Ireland winning Intermediate team from last year. It would be interesting to see who is in.

Reading article last week on JBM mentioning that he was trying out various lads out of the last few minor teams and the All Ireland winning Intermediate team from last year. It would be interesting to see who is in.

Colm Barry and Anthony Spillane from intermediate are in and colm Spillane would of been but he's injured again and is recovering on programme til January

Talk of most people is pa callaghan will play this year for cork

Sean o donughe who played last night is on panel. Good hurler but lots to do imo
    Cormack played Last night called up. Fine game.

Daniel Roche, Luke made,Brian Murray, Andy Walsh,dayne lee. Stephen Murphy all got call ups.
    Huge week for castlematyr and best of luck to them Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Breadandbutter

malascoile wrote: »

UCC full value for their win although twice they let UL back into it with soft goals but did enough to hold on

Apparently former tipp minors didn't start for UL - possibly an U/21 trial for Tipp impacting on their availability - but 3 subs came after about 20 mins - UCC 9 points up at that stage after a blistering start, and their No 23 ( can't remember his name ) got 1-2 in quick succession

Mark Dolan got two great goals taking some punishment on the way, Donal Hannon moving very well, himself and Patrick Curran got some lovely points

Surprised to see Ward at half back, but he did well getting onto breaking ball, again and I would have thought Cormack more suited to half backs given his defensive qualities

UL beat UCC handy in their first encounter but UCC looked sharper last night moving well And creating chances - this UCC team also has O Connor, Gleeson and Daly to come back into it to strengthen it further

I'm sure with both at full strength it would be a terrific battle but I'd be giving UCC the edge for the spring

Did Sean Hayes get call up??

I think north cork star cashman was centre back and he played well and imo would be starter the u21

I'm not hundred per cent sure in I had no programme I arrived late.
    I'm not even if there was programmes there for it maybe there was
    Cork u21 should be good in two years, dolan certainly will come in to consideration

Paul leopard and Aron Stafford are with ucc the other freshers team and couldn't make this and there fine hurlers shows strength ucc

UCC full value for their win although twice they let UL back into it with soft goals but did enough to hold on

Apparently former tipp minors didn't start for UL - possibly an U/21 trial for Tipp impacting on their availability - but 3 subs came after about 20 mins - UCC 9 points up at that stage after a blistering start, and their No 23 ( can't remember his name ) got 1-2 in quick succession

Mark Dolan got two great goals taking some punishment on the way through to finish first one Donal Hannon moving very well, himself and Patrick Curran got some lovely points

Surprised to see Ward at half back, but he did well getting onto breaking ball, again and I would have thought Cormack more suited to half backs given his defensive qualities

UL beat UCC handy in their first encounter but UCC looked sharper last night moving well And creating chances - this UCC team also has O Connor, Gleeson and Daly to come back into it to strengthen it further

I'm sure with both at full strength it would be a terrific battle but I'd be giving UCC the edge for the spring
    No 23 I think was Byrne not sure it was either him or Padraig guest it didn't look like guest though

No 23 I think was Byrne not sure it was either him or Padraig guest it didn't look like guest though

actually I meant 23 for UL - my bad

There was a programme I didn't get one myself

• Advertisement

actually I meant 23 for UL - my bad

There was a programme I didn't get one myself

Think he was Quinn , Donagh or Darren or something

Mark Dolan got two great goals taking some punishment on the way, Donal Hannon moving very well, himself and Patrick Curran got some lovely points

Post from UL Facebook
    By Marisa Kennedy
    Fresher Hurling Division 1 League Final
    Monday December 1, Mallow
    UL 4-11 UCC 4-14

A late second half goal spree from UL just fell short as UCC were crowned this year’s league champions in Mallow on Monday night.
    UCC thundered into the game from the offset, referee, Fergal Horgan, awarding the Cork team a penalty within the first 20 seconds. The initial shot was saved by goalkeeper, Gavin Ryan but UL were unable to clear and UCC pounced upon the rebound ball and netted their first goal of the night. UL were unable to match the pace of their Cork counterparts and UCC stormed into a six point lead.
    Trevor Horgan managed to get UL off the mark with a well taken point. UL worked extremely hard, Stephen Ryan getting in a magnificent hook, but were not able to convert the efforts to points. UL suffered a blow when UCC powered through their defence and found the net once again. UL found themselves unable to cope with the strength of the UCC midfield and clinical forwards and moments later, UCC grabbed their third goal of the night.
    UL saw a goal chance of their own denied by the UCC goalkeeper. The UL management made three changes, all of which had a major impact on the game and UL began to find their stride as the half closed. Liam Moloney scored two points in quick succession before a lapse in concentration from the UCC defenders gave Alan Murphy two chances to reduce the deficit which he gratefully took. UL went in at half-time trailing by eight.
    UL managed to match the pace and intensity of the UCC team as the second half began. Another Murphy free closed the gap even further. The teams traded points before the UCC goalkeeper was forced to make another save to deny the UL team. Then a fantastic run from Barry Heffernan saw the ball land in the UCC box which corner forward, Paul Ryan, scrambled into the back of the net. UL suffered a major setback when fullback, David Fitzgerald, was sent off for a second yellow. UCC capitalised scoring three unanswered points.
    Liam Moloney stepped up once again for UL, this time smashing a brilliant ball into the back of the UCC net. However, their joy was short-lived as a mistake in the UL defence allowed the UCC full-forward to grab another goal for his side. UCC were put under pressure however, and missed two scoreable chances. Sensing the opportunity for a comeback, Josh Keane’s terrific work in midfield released Ian Galvin through the UCC defence where Alan Murphy buried the ball to the back of the UCC goal. Moments later, Murphy stepped up again, this time over a 65 and when the ball landed in the crowded box, Liam Moloney ensured just three between the teams, grabbing his second of the night.
    However, time was not on UL’s side and a final wide from the Limerick side was the last action of the match. The battling UL team lost out by three points. Hard luck to the team and management but plenty of hope for the Championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Post from UL Facebook
    By Marisa Kennedy
    Fresher Hurling Division 1 League Final
    Monday December 1, Mallow
    UL 4-11 UCC 4-14

A late second half goal spree from UL just fell short as UCC were crowned this year’s league champions in Mallow on Monday night.
    UCC thundered into the game from the offset, referee, Fergal Horgan, awarding the Cork team a penalty within the first 20 seconds. The initial shot was saved by goalkeeper, Gavin Ryan but UL were unable to clear and UCC pounced upon the rebound ball and netted their first goal of the night. UL were unable to match the pace of their Cork counterparts and UCC stormed into a six point lead.
    Trevor Horgan managed to get UL off the mark with a well taken point. UL worked extremely hard, Stephen Ryan getting in a magnificent hook, but were not able to convert the efforts to points. UL suffered a blow when UCC powered through their defence and found the net once again. UL found themselves unable to cope with the strength of the UCC midfield and clinical forwards and moments later, UCC grabbed their third goal of the night.
    UL saw a goal chance of their own denied by the UCC goalkeeper. The UL management made three changes, all of which had a major impact on the game and UL began to find their stride as the half closed. Liam Moloney scored two points in quick succession before a lapse in concentration from the UCC defenders gave Alan Murphy two chances to reduce the deficit which he gratefully took. UL went in at half-time trailing by eight.
    UL managed to match the pace and intensity of the UCC team as the second half began. Another Murphy free closed the gap even further. The teams traded points before the UCC goalkeeper was forced to make another save to deny the UL team. Then a fantastic run from Barry Heffernan saw the ball land in the UCC box which corner forward, Paul Ryan, scrambled into the back of the net. UL suffered a major setback when fullback, David Fitzgerald, was sent off for a second yellow. UCC capitalised scoring three unanswered points.
    Liam Moloney stepped up once again for UL, this time smashing a brilliant ball into the back of the UCC net. However, their joy was short-lived as a mistake in the UL defence allowed the UCC full-forward to grab another goal for his side. UCC were put under pressure however, and missed two scoreable chances. Sensing the opportunity for a comeback, Josh Keane’s terrific work in midfield released Ian Galvin through the UCC defence where Alan Murphy buried the ball to the back of the UCC goal. Moments later, Murphy stepped up again, this time over a 65 and when the ball landed in the crowded box, Liam Moloney ensured just three between the teams, grabbing his second of the night.
    However, time was not on UL’s side and a final wide from the Limerick side was the last action of the match. The battling UL team lost out by three points. Hard luck to the team and management but plenty of hope for the Championship!

Happy to hear Liam Molloney going well for UL. Seems to have scored 2.2 by that report, didn't know he was even playing with UL. He got called into the Tipp 21's last year for a few trials I think and is young enough this year coming and the year after. Captain of the Thurles CBS Harty team last year.

http://munster.gaa.ie/2014/12/01/dr-harty-cup-castletroy-college-v-st-colmans/

http://munster.gaa.ie/2014/12/01/dr-harty-cup-sntn-doon-v-gaelcolaiste-mhuire-ag/

If I get time I later I'll so post on both on where match ups must be crucial for both teams to win and my choice of match ups.
    I put huge thought in to my match ups and I believe if all three get them right all three will get results they need three draws will suffice.
    But you can't play a game to draw.
    Go to win it,and if not make sure your not beaten.

Colmans are not going to win a harty cup this year so treat tomorrow as there final.
    Would be superb to get out of the group for them.
    They have a huge chance must believe it though and forget hype with castlelrtroy as there beatable and certain castlelrtroy won't win harty this year imo what I seen.
    Their way way overhyped imo.

Three teams qualified but if we get no more tomorrow it's hugely disappointed and no point saying otherwise.
    At very least I want four but would be happy with five.
    Six would be just unbelievable.
    It would be great to keep limerick influence to a minimum as it will correlation to the minors.
    Hugely important at least one limerick school Is beaten tomorrow.

Midelton just got to win, no excuses and I can't see them loosing I'd be truly shocked If they didn't win and win handily.
    They beat nenagh in dean Ryan cup before and no disrespect to nenagh but they aren't Tipperary best team.
    I believe midelton will win.
    The game Saturday is disappointing but the school must remember this was exceptional team they Lost to with huge pick an manager who's brillant and they won it without their captain shows strength in depth yet midelton took them to extra time.

I think If midelton get over this they will regroup again and be serious team in the quater final.
    On paper midelton have too much talent and showed use ard scoil as motivation in they lost but regrouped.
    Midelton didn't play bad v hammies just stopped playing.
    That's easy enough to change.
    Play for the hour.
    I think that defeat will stand to them hugely going forward.
    Talking to midelton man he said there really focuses on this and won't take eye of the ball, know nenagh are dangerous but all they want is performance for the full hour from their lad's, once they get that result will take care themselves and midelton imo have just too much class over the field.
    It would be huge huge set back if they lost no point saying otherwise but that's why I think they will win.
    Hammies wasn't a cup final, tomorrow is and a focused midelton should prevail.
    I'm in two minds now to go that or colmans game if I get go any game.
    After Saturday midelton need support. BUT all cork teams do.

What a choice three games to choose from, very hard to pick.
    Anyone here going to that game that would do report if they do go as in lm not sure which game to see.
    Be great if we had reports on all three cup final tomorrow.

That marisa Kennedy is just brilliant her reports always accurate and she covers load games, ladies men,fresher intermediate.
    Saw her at games before if I'm thinking of the right girl,she's brilliant reporter
    Real reporting. real passion for the game and indeed sport.
    She covers her lot games and in all weather also.
    Ul lucky to have her.
    Some paper if they had any brain would snap her up.
    I have huge respect for anyone goes these games no matter what involvement is as anyone can go to the big games.
    On a cold winters night imo it's takes real gaa people, to go these games.
    I still think this ul team is going to be very hard to beat and likes Stanley for example didn't start so they will be stronger next time.
    Ucc are strong but ul have way more depth and I get the sense that they won't be unduly worried as it will dampen hype for the all ireland and they want it this year.
    This is Ul best ever team many say.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Producer Ben

The election for the county board is coming up. How do people are it going? Would love to see Tracey Kennedy get the vice chair but would Cork county board vote for a woman in that position?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

The election for the county board is coming up. How do people are it going? Would love to see Tracey Kennedy get the vice chair but would Cork county board vote for a woman in that position?

First time in a while the position of vice chairperson will go to a vote. Think that answers your question

Tracey Kennedy is the grass roots gaa person choice she's good had good values has a genuinuty and principles about her but she won't get it.

I'd be shocked she did.

Franks style of delegate Richard Murphy lyre will get it

As for central council I'd love it if bob did not get it.
    I would not care who got it anyone but him simply over he's time as chairman he neglected cork minor and u21 hurling and also had huge part in the appalling choice of Brian cuthbhert for manager, was pro in cork strike last one.

He's actively pursuing votes I hear.
    That's fair game getting clubs to vote him but it's pity he didn't share the same mission or enthusiasm towards fixing many problems in cork gaa under he's chairmanship

Ger lane great man delighted he's in there

I'd love Tracy to get in but what hear Murphy get in.

Great points and valid questions and it shows how backward the some organisations is in your right would they vote in this day and age for a woman to do what they perceive a man's job still despite time thankfully moving on and jesus if she got it some heads would roll
    Some would imo some won't vote for her

Madness and just wrong I mean wrong that some believe woman should not get jobs like that in their old school views.

and whether a candidate man or woman wouldn't matter to me even if candidate was both man and woman still wouldn't bother me, if they the best for the Job give them the job.
    Its that simple.

Midleton v nenagh

Midelton have better balance and more scoring and more depth. Nenagh have a few players not much to trouble midelton though

Andy hayden at corner forward got two goals against hammies and is fast and elusive so he must be marked.
    He's their most dangerous forward.
    It's simple you move ed leahy back to the corner back position as good as he is at half back this guy needs to be man marked and I'd put ed leahy to corner back as he has great traits and put him to do a job he'll do it and he has hurling but pace.
    Got to mark hayden
    Hayden is good but can't be any more good imo that lyndon fairbrother who he marked superbly In the dean Ryan cup. Had great game Saturday so put him back
    Leahy may be disappointed by Saturday so imo take him out of the centre back area and let him grow and focus on just one job tomorrow and let majestic, brilliant seadna smith hold the line and lead at six.
    Now if needs be you could drop smith back to four during the game as he has imo Brian Murphy man marking traits but he's leader, experience last year harty unlike leahy so I'd start with smith

Keith nealon is good but mike mellrick should be able to hold him if not switch cahill on him
    Cahill only got two yellows so he's eligible to play.

The nenagh inside line is dangerous but a full back line of mellrick. Smith and leahy is imo solid and won't concede goals and they conceded two the last day

Id have beusang, smith and Sean o mcdonnell at half back
    The danger man for nenagh is half forward john cahalan who is imperious under puckouts and gave brilliant john Keller tough hour apparently v hammies.
    Put mcdonnell on him,he'd good game Saturday, he's better half back than forward where plays harty, he's fine dean Ryan cup at centre back.
    Mcdonnell is good in the air but any clean ball he can't win just break it away and the majestic reading and awareness of smith covering at centre back should clean it up.

Butty Mccarthy who was very good the last day v luke meade cork senior and Jonathan mulchay should not be fazed by loughanne or cleary.

Half forward line
    Id have Gary leahy, garan manley at centre forward And josh beusang outside at half forward line.
    Peters is a fine centre back but manley if available should win ball and run at peters and create space for others.

Gary leahy is good in the air. Three points v hammies, match winner the ist game he can score also and should be able for Kennedy
    Inside line I'd have benny dunne, John looney and moyinhan

The key with midelton forwards is I have power ball winning at half forward line and pace and a grafter in leahy but in garan manley a man than can score from distance but real pace and fabulous ist touch.

Beusang got five from play v hammies and nine play in dean Ryan can score from any angle and give him space at half forward and has dealt with opponents as good if not better than geaney

The full forward line is lethal.
    Looney is lighting up the harty cup.
    In three games one ten from play.
    He's best option is half forward but has been playing full but drifting out and he's up against a fine full back in James quigley but nenagh conceded four goals to hammies and their corner backs are weak and as good as dinnen and eoin reilly are for hammies, looney and dunne cork minors are better so they should have goals in them and huge scoring.

Looney is a nightmare to mark in he can stay close to goal and last year in under sixteen all Ireland semi final got a peach of a goal v Athenry but if he drifts out to half forward to pick up loose ball he'll fire it over from distance
    Superb long distance point cork minor v limerick, superb aghada intermediate in Cork, superb in dean Ryan last year with three goals in year I think he's everything you want.
    Quigley dilemma is do I come or go and is stuck between a rock and a hard place

He can't go fifty fifty or phone a friend he won't have time he has to make those decision fast in the game
    If looney goes out and quigley stays then nenagh don't have anyone to pick up him up bar peters if he does , beusang is free while inside on the square if looney stays quigley will do well to hold him scoreless and dunne will cause havoc for he's opponent. In the corner so imo nenagh have too many problems to fix with too few options.
    Looney when he drifts out will leave huge space for dunne inside and moyinhan.
    With a hard frost tonight and dry day tomorrow the hard ground will suit dunnes pace
    Midelton imo once the focus and concentration and work rate is there id fancy them on a dry day to score big as hammies got 4-10 of them so midelton who got sixteen points from play v hammies should have too much fire power for nenagh
    I'd be shocked they lost

Castleyroy v colmans
    Castleyroy should win on paper and if they perform but doon sweeper caused them problems and they have been average in game v ag that I saw and if colmans don't fear them and start well and play the sweeper imo could cause an upset.
    My worry is colmans are young and lacking real game changers with big game winning experience like Castleyroy

Colmans have in their favour hammies legend noel crowley from last year he won a harty in he's day,won senior county as coach also, so they have a good sidelines.

They played sweeper last week v ag mhuire and the lads here Said it went well
    Tomorrow with more intensity and more practice it should be further evolved
    .colmans drew with Ard scoil last year, beat doon this year so they don't fear limerick teams.
    Colmans ex harty and dean Ryan winner last night ul fresher coach declan Fitzgerald is teaching in Castleyroy not with this bunch though.

Colmans full back line of ricken, varner and o reagon done well up to the cork derby game in the harty v ag mhuire Against De la salle and doon conceded just five points from play.
    Declan varner played last year at left half back so he's experience will be vital up against eoin houirgan who got a good goal v ag mhuire.
    I wouldn't be surprised if john Nicholas starts and he's very dangerous
    There a huge call here do you put dean linehan in at the corner. He played their at corner back for cork in their u17 all Ireland win this year.Superb defender but then he got goal v de la salle and vital point v doon.
    I would go with the normal line.

Half back line of Shane Fenton corner back last year, Shane Walsh played the last two years and niall o leary the unit has experience and leadership and young exuberant energy with no fear and this in the winning and loosing of the match as what a task they face up against Barry Nash and Andrew la touch cosgrave both limerick minors.
    There lucky it could of been worse in Ian coutes limerick under age hurler is missing as he got sent off v mhuire ag.

Walsh has to pick up cosgrave and cosgrave will float around the park, Walsh must float with him or else the team will sink.
    Walsh has senior experience with bride rovers is up against a serious serious player and is the only man for the job.

Cork u 16 the brilliant niall o leary like any castlelyons player like eoin Fitzgerald, mick Spillane and he's sons colm and Anthony, the great timmy maccarthy, soon to be great colm Barry he has like them a real toughness and bite and character in he's hurling and will need it up against the majestic brilliant Barry Nash cousin of Anthony related to former limerick greats declan and mike Nash.
    A huge huge ask but I'd have him over Fenton to do this role but I'd help him as dean linehan picked at fifteen would be my sweeper in he's played as a defender,superb pace and would cover up and loose ball o leary breaks away but would double mark Nash. He played and won an all Ireland u-17 for cork in august against a cork side marking Sean Howard and having a super final and covering he's full back line at a game I was at
    Linehan is idea as a sweeper

Hold these two. Don't foul. Limit them to around five points they will win the game.
    Shane aherne has experience of harty cup from last year and must mark lorchan lyons limerick minors who is lethal at winning ball.
    He's played junior hurling for fermoy this year and is physical.
    I'd keep Jeremy saich out of midfield as seventh said last week he was physically out muscled v ag mhuire in the callaghan cup and midfield is going to be a mine field
    I'd have hannon at midfield who played well last week and experience from last year in midfield

Half forward line is crucial
    I'd have Stephen condon a goal and two from play v de la salle, Jamie o leary castlelyons tough as nails 2-2 v de la salle and Kyle cronin at twelve
    The Castleyroy half back line is good but not a fortress and if Andrew la touch goes back it becomes ones but they loose forward power

Inside line would be Jamie kenneally there points v doon from play, Jeremy saich and dean linehan who plays corner back for cork u17 as a sweeper where saich and kenneally in a two man full forward line would revel in open space once the ball supply Is kept away from the sweeper

Saich has pace, lovely hurling and has great feet so hed revel in space. Midfield is he's place imo or half back but that's for next year

Hard game to call and Castleyroy with minors of Nash lyons and cosgrave for limerick may win it for them as colmans have no cork minors with their big game experience and that's my worry but if colmans can start well and play to a system, stick with it,and work work and focus then they will frustrate Castleyroy who didn't like it v doon when they lost and also v ag mhuire when they had a man sent off.
    They got through over Nash and cosgrave but as doon showed when Nash and cosgrave are held there beatable
    The wise man would say Castleyroy but we'll have to wait and see

Doon v mhuire ag

This will be a tactical battle could be a low scoring. Dour war of attrition in the cork side want to play fast open hurling and keep it fast and fluent but doon as they perfected the last four years and now with the brilliant all Ireland winner Mr sweeper himself Brendan bulger they will play a sweeper

This game style is like you have time to spare so your bored.
    You see a pack of cards and a chess board with your friend.
    What will I play.
    The simple answer is what mood am I in??

Do I want a game of snap in cards , more reliance on my reflexes and instinct and won't test my patience too much and it will be over fast or am I focused and concentrated for a game of chess where many my pieces are pawns and a lot of thinking and sacrificing will need to be done plus it's a slow process but worth it when I check mate my opponent.

This is tomorrow games in a nutshell.
    Doon love a game of chess but the cork team love a game of snap In cards imo as if it went down to natural instinct, reflexes, a shootout they have Evan sheehan, dayne lee, Dan gunning, killian aherne where doon have only the brilliant limerick minor barry Murphy up front to win a shootout in other forwards are good but not as potent as the cork lads.

They won't have a choice which game they want to play as doon will decide for them and they know that as tadhg lordan and Liam shorten had to outthink the sweeper last week v colmans no bad thing at all.
    Ard scoil a powerhouse naively thought they beat doon in the harty cup final last year I was at it going fifteen v fifteen against a sweeper
    At half time the penny dropped they played a sweeper won ball and destroyed doon.
    Doon won't be destroyed but can be beaten
    Doon destroyed a young ag last year but the cork side are completely different this time
    The cork team have to sacrifice to an extent their natural instinct and play more to a system in parts of the game tomorrow imo to win.

Darren O connell in goal senior experience with na piarsigh this year is a fine keeper and he's solid in puckouts
    I'd drop one of the half backs bar callaghan and Donovan back to full back to play the sweeper, and move Eddie gunning out to centre back and I'd have Donovan flanking him
    The full back line of sullivan and meara should be fine and indeed any three can be the free man

Longeran is dangerous with high ball but sullivan should be fine

The doon half forward line is dangerous, curb that they win the game.
    Colin Ryan will lord the air.
    Won't score but he gave an exhibition v tipp this year and indeed v cork and played centre back in the ist game for doon.
    Callaghan must match he's brilliant performance the last day and mark him.
    Doesn't have to be clean ball just don't let Ryan get it in he's hand.
    He is their bonner maker.

Gunning has to mark their ownly scoring main forward in barry Murphy limerick minor this and last year.
    He is the man for the job. Both have senior club experience and this is gunning days loves these games.

Robbie quirke will be their floater around the middle third aera winning loose ball so the likes of leary and coughlan at midfield with help of hanafinn from half forward got to snuff out feehan and foley for doon at midfield.

Half forward line dayne lee and killian aherne got to start for me here not one inside but both here as this middle third will crave physically aggressive hurlers and in Shane o connell limerick minor and underage limerick hurler possible minor the brilliant tadhg whelan starting gunning or sheehan here they will be crowded out.

Lee on Shane o connell who played sweeper last year and like lee third year at harty cup should be epic.
    Lee has talent to burn but now a cork player must stand up and lead at school as he's a hurler yes but has he the stomach for battle and warrior to work like a dog,to win ball he's no right to win.,to not get four points from play but still be man of the match.
    I believe he has it within him.
    As christy ring (rip)said having the skills to hurl Is no good unless you have the temperament for battle inside.

He needs to be unselfish in don't be the scorer in chief in curb o connell win and create fast ball for the two man full forward line of sheehan a fabulous player just fifteen and won with ger cunningham team this year for cork feile winner, he has it sublime stick work and pace and complimented by the sensation in young sublime Dan gunning superb in Cork trials and in the harty at just sixteen and last week in the callaghan cup and at minor for na piarsigh.
    Give them low fast ball not High ball but dan can win high ball and they will cause havoc inside and as good as jack Cummins is, gunning one v one is unmarkable.

The ag lads need to push out towards midfield from the half forward line don't be sucked to doon goal in further their away from it and up to midfield the better as doon have to push their sweeper system out and leaves space inside for sheehan and gunning
    If doon don't follow their men and push out, lee and young aherne a brilliant physical ball player can score from distance and David bhraham also operating around the half forward line can score from distance
    Doon don't imo Dont have anyone bar Murphy to score like that imo from distance bar Shane o connell but they bring him out some one got to mark dayne lee inside.

If mhuire ag don't get the match ups right and play a sweeper they will make no mistake loose

If they work hard, start aherne, get match up right, be composed and lee and Eddie gunning lead them they can edge want imo will be low scoring, dour war of attrition but a thriller none the less

I think midelton will win, by a nose mhuire ag and colmans a tall order but hopefully they will.
    Best of luck to all three cork teams, three draws will do.
    Best of luck to hammies in their game who brilliantly already qualified for the quarter finals for the second year in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Great preview again TTM.

I am wondering which game to go to tomorrow. Probably I'll be in Mallow but I wouldn't mind making the trip to Ballyagran to see a young and exciting St. Colman's team who will be up against it against Castletroy.

RE Cork Panel:
    Good to see Colm Barry getting a call up, a physical back that we may need at wing or full back.
    I still have question marks over the Spillane brothers. I watched them over the last couple of years and don't see them making the cut for Senior Intercounty, for example O'Brien and Mannix look better options to me.
    I hope Pa O'Callaghan comes onto the panel, what a great forward we potentially have for Cork.
    Nice to see a few lads gone from minor getting a taste of things at senior level.
    Regarding Sean Hayes, I hope he gets on but my Mallow sources aren't sure if he's on panel but I'll find out soon anyway.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to both cork schools chriost ri and rochestowm in the munster b hurling final today.
    Another game id love to see but adds to the congestion of three other huge cork games today.
    Pity it's not on a Friday etc.

Out of twenty four teams unbelievable that two cork schools make the final.
    It's a clean sweep today as mticheetown and midelton won munster b and a so like limerick last year cork dominating schools at a level at under sixteen and a half. Friday the grand slam is on at under sixteen in crescent fermoy play in the munster d final in this grade.
    It would be truly epically awesome to win and complete the magical full house.
    Irrespective of who ever wins today as their both cork teams that's very much on Friday.

Senior now we hopefully will.
    I don't mind who wins as there cork teams.
    John sullivan imo will be outstanding in he's been unreal at harty in the coal face of midfield at senior school at just sixteen certain minor next year, and two left st harty he's been brilliant against top opponents and expect him to have a blinder today.
    Huge huge day for cork under age school hurling and indeed cork hurling in general but thankfully cork are guaranteed another munster title today but unfortunately one cork team be disappointed also in unfortunately there can only be one winner in sport at any given time.
    Best of luck to all six cork schools in this and the harty cup today.

I had though Ian coutes was out but he should be available for Castleyroy as doon game would missed and I presume its just one game??

If he's in there then the task got harder as coutes, cosgrave and Nash will be very tough to gold.
    Huge ask.
    Coutes is strong in the air, win ball regularly in the air.

Inspiration display from mhuire ag wonderful close dogged win like I said dour struggle v doon
    1-15 to 1-13

Christ above inspired perfeemonsnce by eddie gunning who played sweeper role brilliant and he's was memorising brilliant lead from start to finish and got three huge points one play too vital frees and brother at just sixteen was brilliant around goal and five
    By a country mile Eddie gunning man match and should get call up Waterford crystals cup team cork.
    Honestly this performance was just magnificent.
    He was everywhere and led heroic defensive perferormance

More reports later decided go this game glad I did
    Wonderful display congrats them

Four cork teams in last eight

Huge shock in midelton huge set back anybody report what happened colmans just came up short as I feared but huge perfeemonsnce to come with I'n two points

No team fear in last eight for any cork team bar course Ard scoil but there beatable

Great day ag mhuire and colmans so close but hugely disappointed midelton so many cork minors didn't qualified and huge set back for the school imo

Good news is four cork teams and just two limerick in the last eight so good in Cork minors play limerick next year

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

TTM....Limerick minors wont be anything special in 2015. Cork should have enough to beat them twice if they need to.

Smith614 wrote: »
    TTM....Limerick minors wont be anything special in 2015. Cork should have enough to beat them twice if they need to.

Wouldn't be too cocky as I know lot bout limerick and see them train very very tough beat them in gaelic ground

Anyway more later must drive home now after bowl soup warm me feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

Agreed TTM a real dog fight. Eddie Gunning has been putting in preformances like this all year he was indeed inspirational.
    This game could have swung either way as both defences imo were excellent I will wait for your match report as I know little about the Doon players. One thing which struck me as strange was the withdrawl of aherne with 10 minutes to go as his first half preformance was outstanding. The half back he was on then proceeded to score 2 points a very nearly fatal error from the AG bench. Still a little naiveity there I think. Looking forward to your indepth match report.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 goalmouth

Went to the colmans game a bit unlucky to be defeated a draw would have been a fair result which would have been enough to get them out of the group
    Great to see the AG go onto the next round
    Middleton flop again what the hell is going on here all these cork minors more than any other college and they can't get out of their group

Wouldn't be too cocky as I know lot bout limerick and see them train very very tough beat them in gaelic ground

Anyway more later must drive home now after bowl soup warm me feet.

Socks might be a better option ;)

Smith614 wrote: »

Ah Jaysus the Rock on which we'll perish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

Goal mouth your guess is as good as mine with regards to Midelton but I do have a theory

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement