Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lylodemo

Any fails out there from Dublin 10 or Dublin 12 area???

• Registered Users Posts: 30 FAE dear lord

Anyone know how we go about applying for membership?
    Heard nothing from the institute, surprise surprise.

Is friday the deadline and how much is initial fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

Anyone know how we go about applying for membership?
    Heard nothing from the institute, surprise surprise.

Is friday the deadline and how much is initial fee?

I haven't heard anything from them either! Is the deadline Friday??

Debs23 wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything from them either! Is the deadline Friday??

One of my mates said it was Friday although doesn't say that anywhere on the website.
    I emailed that Colin guy who sent the good luck email a couple of weeks ago.
    I shall post his reply on here tomorrow hopefully.

Friday is indeed the deadline and will be sending out the emails today apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

Thats not giving much time. What is the story if you miss Fridays deadline?

PhilipLuke wrote: »
    Thats not giving much time. What is the story if you miss Fridays deadline?

Colin said if you are having trouble meeting the deadline they will do their best to accomodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen1990

Colin said if you are having trouble meeting the deadline they will do their best to accomodate you.

Is it just for people who are finished their contract or people who passed their exams?
    My contract runs to March 2017 but I passed this year, so will I have to apply or not do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AuditAgain

Is the Friday deadline just to attend the ceremony?

Is there any difference other than that? Can you just put your form in in a few weeks and not attend the ceremony?

Is it just for people who are finished their contract or people who passed their exams?
    My contract runs to March 2017 but I passed this year, so will I have to apply or not do you know?

yea its only for people who passed and have served their 3.5 year sentence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I don't have the cash - what happens me? Anyone from Cassi on here who might know?
    GraGra90 - are you back from OneYoungWorld? Well done by the way, was following this, the podcasts, tweets and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 the_law13

I feel awful sorry for people who failed core. Having to repeat it all is not fair at all. Thankfully I passed but reading through the board report was frightening as it all came back to me. Anyone that passes on a repeat is even more impressive if anything I think... Well done to all who passed..!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Reddzer2002

Hi all,

Repeat student here and got the exams this year (thankfully).

I got the email from Colin and notice that the fees down the bottom are €453, and that is the later of getting the exams or completing your contract. This runs to 31 December 2015.

Online the fees for the year are €565.

Just wondering if this is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 aquinn101

Hi all,

Repeat student here and got the exams this year (thankfully).

I got the email from Colin and notice that the fees down the bottom are €453, and that is the later of getting the exams or completing your contract. This runs to 31 December 2015.

Online the fees for the year are €565.

Just wondering if this is correct?

Yes - this is correct!

You will get an invoice in January for the yearly fee of Euro 565 (£396).

The fee we have to pay now consists of approx Euro 141.25 (£99) for the last quarter of 2015 fees and a joining fee of Euro 311.75 (£218)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Third time lucky

Hi all
    Well done to everyone who passed. Fortunately I passed the core this year but didn't get the elective. Just wondering is it worth paying the €98 for a tutorial report. Has anyone got these in the past and do they give back good detail? I would appreciate if ye could let me know as I have to submit my request by tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance!!

Hi all
    Well done to everyone who passed. Fortunately I passed the core this year but didn't get the elective. Just wondering is it worth paying the €98 for a tutorial report. Has anyone got these in the past and do they give back good detail? I would appreciate if ye could let me know as I have to submit my request by tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance!!

Well done on getting the core.

In relation to the tutorial report, these were in the past how do you say.... "absolute sh!te"... or so was the feeling.

They have upped their game now, and the tutorial reports of recent are of a good standard and received in good time. Thankfully.
    I absolutely say fire ahead and get it.

Now, not that they have introduced a standardised template for the tutorial report, but there is a sample one floating around out there to give you a feel for they type of feedback you are getting. Maybe someone might post it. Remember though, as an alternative, you can view your own script and bring your own guy. It is a pilot facility this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Third time lucky

myshirt wrote: »
    Well done on getting the core.

In relation to the tutorial report, these were in the past how do you say.... "absolute sh!te"... or so was the feeling.

They have upped their game now, and the tutorial reports of recent are of a good standard and received in good time. Thankfully.
    I absolutely say fire ahead and get it.

Now, not that they have introduced a standardised template for the tutorial report, but there is a sample one floating around out there to give you a feel for they type of feedback you are getting. Maybe someone might post it. Remember though, as an alternative, you can view your own script and bring your own guy. It is a pilot facility this year.

Thanks my shirt. Il give it a go so!! 😀

Thanks my shirt. Il give it a go so!! 😀

I forgot to say, I am on commission.

Not.

Best of luck with it and with elective.

Hi all
    Thanks in advance!!

i got them last year for the Core. In my opinion they are still quite bad and not worth the money. My boss paid for them hence why i got them. The option to view the script will be a huge help so if it was me i would definitely avail of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GraGra90

I don't have the cash - what happens me? Anyone from Cassi on here who might know?
    GraGra90 - are you back from OneYoungWorld? Well done by the way, was following this, the podcasts, tweets and so on.

Apologies got back 2 days ago but was straight into the thick of it so only checking Boards now. If you can demonstrate difficult circumstances there is an abatement process you can go through give Sandy Grant a call on +353 1 637 7261.

If you have further difficulties give me a shout directly -hopefully can get sorted easily! Also thanks - it was an incredible opportunity - all the sessions are available to watch online from One Young World which is great. I'm writing up a follow up blog piece over the weekend which I'll push out through Twitter next week as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lou26

Hey guys!!! Congrats to every1 that passed.

I have to redo my elective for Tax NI.
    I seen a few people with a different text book that they ordered online themselves. I forget the name of it would anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rusty91

I unfortunately have to repeat core and elective. I didn't have the greatest year personally but I have no back up to avail of an extenuating circumstances exemption. I would really appreciate if anyone on here could advise me of how they went about passing ie. when did you start studying and what did you study, are the cases really the best way of studying etc.
    I commute for a total of three hours a day and obviously end up working over time so I don't have a lot of time during the week.

Thanks in advance

Rusty91 wrote: »
    I unfortunately have to repeat core and elective. I didn't have the greatest year personally but I have no back up to avail of an extenuating circumstances exemption. I would really appreciate if anyone on here could advise me of how they went about passing ie. when did you start studying and what did you study, are the cases really the best way of studying etc.
    I commute for a total of three hours a day and obviously end up working over time so I don't have a lot of time during the week.

Thanks in advance

Part highlighted in bold.... answer is yes.
    You cannot pass a case study exam without doing case studies. Case studies are a key tool here for you.

Also, handcuff yourself to Paul Monahan. He is an FAE genuis, and in my view is probably one or two rotations ahead of the FAE board in pushing on and developing the profession. He knows what these fellas have had for breakfast before they'll ever know themselves. I am fully convinced they are using this man as a crutch and source of inspiration, such is the quality of his case studies. He's well clued. He understands what they are trying to do and what they are trying to achieve - a sharp guy to be fair. Go to the revision course info evening and have a chat with him. He shoots from the hip and he'll give it to you straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ASOT2012

Part highlighted in bold.... answer is yes.
    You cannot pass a case study exam without doing case studies. Case studies are a key tool here for you.

Also, handcuff yourself to Paul Monahan. He is an FAE genuis, and in my view is probably one or two rotations ahead of the FAE board in pushing on and developing the profession. He knows what these fellas have had for breakfast before they'll ever know themselves. I am fully convinced they are using this man as a crutch and source of inspiration, such is the quality of his case studies. He's well clued. He understands what they are trying to do and what they are trying to achieve - a sharp guy to be fair. Go to the revision course info evening and have a chat with him. He shoots from the hip and he'll give it to you straight.

And his predictions are hardy ever ever wrong : )

ASOT2012 wrote: »
    And his predictions are hardy ever ever wrong : )

He's still holding out for that subsidiary of a multinational :pac::pac::pac:

Paul overthinks it in my opinion. Gets you more freaked out than actually helps. He predicts cashflows every year and still they haven't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Paul overthinks it in my opinion. Gets you more freaked out than actually helps. He predicts cashflows every year and still they haven't come up.

I'm with Dear Lord on this one, I didn't pay any attention to what he said for the year, and still worked out.
    By the last few weeks in August, after all the study/case studies you're in just as good as position to think what might come up as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Rookie mistake from the banking inquiry.

Waiting til the end to do their executive summary. Will definitely take from their report............... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Where is my sock?

Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones and passed both. What I'd advise for anyone looking to know where to begin, start with case studies. If you start on material, as I was advised to, you have no context regarding what is relevant/examinable and what isn't. You therefore look at every page of material and feel like EVERYTHING is relevant. That's not the case.

Start with case studies. I would maybe pick mid-June to begin (the timelines here are all based on last year's timetable - I believe it's been brought forward this year so maybe bring these 2 weeks forward in your mind), and maybe aim to have about 8 case studies done before the mocks (you won't pass any of these case studies btw). Try your utmost in the mocks, stay every second and put every ounce of sweat you have into it. Then forget about them. You'll fail most likely (I failed both core [spectacularly!] and elective in the mocks).

After this, you should have some context over what kind of areas/topics are examinable and *how* they are examined. I would then begin on material personally, but definitely wouldn't ignore the case studies either. I would maybe try and gun it for 2-3 weeks on material, returning to case studies in mid-July (again, based on 2015's timetable).

Then with two weeks to go, you'll hopefully know where you are at in terms of what you need (i.e. more material, study a certain topic, more case studies etc).

Final 2 things to note is, forget how you're doing in the case studies. They are much tougher than the real thing. As long as you pick the bones out of them and carry them forward, you'll be fine. I passed literally 1 case study last year (Elite Sports or whatever that one was called) and I genuinely must have done about 60 if not more. The final point is that, no matter how much you prepare, you will not feel ready. Everyone is like this. You will have times where you feel you're destined to fail. Just keep trucking and working and you'll hopefully get your just rewards.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

Hey, I failed audit for the second time so I switched to APM this year. Anybody have the CGS book for APM they want to sell me? I'm going to do the course but wouldn't mind having a look over the CGS book before the assessment.

Advertisement