Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Eggs are bad for you" and other possible food myths. The AH Guide To Healthy Eating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

KungPao wrote: »
    I'm giving it a go yeah! I have other reasons besides the the unending flatulence. Tired all the time, muscles hurt, general ****tiness, so I'll give this a lash.

I like a bit of bread, but I wouldn't cry without biscuits and cakes. I'll just eat chocolate and popcorn to satisfy sugar and salt cravings. I like pasta too, but I love rice so I can switch to that.

I'm not looking to go 100% gluten-free...I shan't obsess, but a very low gluten diet shall be attempted.

Lots of gluten free options out there now, not like when I was first diagnosed coeliac. I'm not a medic, but have you thought of having bloods done? Love the term 'general *****ness', that was me before being diagnosed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Yes, carbs do seem to contain the most calories. The sheer amount of calories in pasta, rice, bread etc. was shocking to me and it's what you tend to bulk up on when eating a typical meal.

Saying that, I love my carbs. I couldn't imagine a life without bread, rice, pasta or potatoes in it, so going Atkins or similar just wouldn't work for me at all. I just have to watch my portions and stay within my daily limits.

Am I right in saying that protein and fats can actually keep you fuller for longer than carbs can (or am I completely wrong on that front??)

Fats contain the most calories at 9 calories per gram.
    Protein and carbs contain the same at 4 calories per gram.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Fats contain the most calories at 9 calories per gram.
    Protein and carbs contain the same at 4 calories per gram.

But protein rich foods give you more of an energy boost and keep you full for ages right?

At least it seems to be that way with me. If I have a steak or similar at 4/5pm Im grand for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Depending on the source you read, eggs are really bad for you. Or they're not. So which is it?

Not.

Little superfood. And nature's fast food too.

They're fúcking class.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

But protein rich foods give you more of an energy boost and keep you full for ages right?

At least it seems to be that way with me. If I have a steak or similar at 4/5pm Im grand for the rest of the day.

Protein won't give you an energy boost.Protein will make you "feel"full.The body primarily uses carbs and fat as preferred energy sources.
    The energy boost you get from eating steak is more than likely from the fat content.

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    Not.

Little superfood. And nature's fast food too.

They're fúcking class.

Feck it. Just had two scrambled eggs on white bread toast because I forgot to buy brown today. I was feeling adventurous.

Does anyone know where to get vegetable juices in supermarkets? Zumo Juice kiosks only seem to juice a very limited amount of vegetables and the majority is fruit.

Im looking for juiced kale, spinach etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I love eggs so much that I often worry I might turn into a giant egg. :D
    Can't beat a couple of medium-boiled eggs in a cup with a wee knob of REAL creamery butter and a little bit of Saxa White Pepper.
    I tend to have that for breakfast most mornings with a slice of toasted batch and it never did me any bother.
    That said, last time I got checked, my cholesterol was on the higher side of normal so I'm looking to reduce that. However, Flora is so expensive- particularly the Pro Active brand. €6 for a teeny tube of oily, imitation butter? Feck that!
    Somehow I suspect I might have a mild wheat intolerance. It's well known that I loves me craft beer, particularly anything dark, malty and averaging over 6% volume.
    Lately, though, I've switched to drinking cheaper fare such as Fosters due to budget contraints and I've found that my stomach has been playing me up and my stools are very loose, bordering on the sort of thing you might experience after a particularly nasty bout of stomach flu.
    I always got the ocassional cramp or two if I drank too much dark ale but I never really paid it much notice until now- I just assumed it was the bubbles interacting with my stomach acid as I tend to suffer with heartburn from time to time.
    Seems to be happening more and more lately so I've decided to switch out beer for wine and spirits for the time being to see if there's anything to my assumption.
    I seem to be alright eating bread for the most part.
    Can anyone tell me, out of curiousity, if gluten-free beer is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Is that sarcasm?

being that 5pm is "dinner" time and most people don't eat again after?

__
    I generally prefer having a protein dense breakfast, sometimes a protein 'shake'. If I do(note at 7am), I won't even think of food til like evening time, and that's only because my partner mentions "dinner".

If I eat cereal, I'm starved an hour or 2 later. Porridge will fill me til about lunch. A fry up on the other hand..all the way til dinner.

My own experience, maybe it's all in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

rawn wrote: »
    Congratulations on your perfect pancreas.

Hallmark really need to make this into a greeting card.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Sugar isn't the devil. Just because something has sugar in it doesn't mean you have to avoid it. It's added sugar you need to watch out for. Refined versus natural.

So what exactly IS natural sugar?
    I don't really add sugar to anything. None in tea or coffee, none on my porridge or cornflakes, etc. But I know that there is loads of sugar in white bread. I tend to mostly eat brown bread but once in a while crave a Brennan's White ham sambo, with kerrygold and colmans mustard where the bread is so fresh you can leave your handprint after pressing down the sandwich.
    I drink lager and pilsner which I'm told are laced with sugar too but I don't touch sweets or fizzy drinks at all, except a square of chocolate once in a while. If I drink a soft drink it's usually sparkling water or tae.

Sh1t like canned beans and various salad dressings are also full of sugar apparently. I still eat them but also make my own dressing if the ingredients are in the house...just oil and pepper and lime juice. But if I'm having a sald at work I just slop the bottled 1000 island all over the fecker :pac:.

So is natural sugar just the gear that occurs naturally in fruit, etc? And honey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Egginacup wrote: »
    So what exactly IS natural sugar?
    I don't really add sugar to anything. None in tea or coffee, none on my porridge or cornflakes, etc.

Conflakes contain two or more teaspoons of sugar per 100g.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

mikom wrote: »
    Conflakes contain two or more teaspoons of sugar per 100g.

Yeah, I kind of figured that. Weetabix is supposed to be full of sugar too so you can imagine what's in the likes of Frosties, Frosted Shredded Wheat, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, etc....SUGAR PUFFS :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Yeah, I kind of figured that. Weetabix is supposed to be full of sugar too so you can imagine what's in the likes of Frosties, Frosted Shredded Wheat, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, etc....SUGAR PUFFS :eek:

Weetabix is 4.4g of sugar per 100g. It is high compared to porridge (1.3g), but low compared to Crunchy Nut (35g) and Frosties (37g).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there any healthy cereal? And I mean cereal not boiled oats or some other muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Thargor wrote: »
    Is there any healthy cereal? And I mean cereal not boiled oats or some other muck.

Porridge or muesli. Otherwise no really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Homemade granola works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Fruit juices contain as much sugar as a fizzy drink

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

FunkyPigeon.com

MoonPig.com

WackyAnimal.com

Ba dah dahp ba baaa. I'm lovin' it

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Food myths off the top of my head:

Milk is poison.
    Bread will kill you.
    People other than celiacs are "gluten-intolerant".
    Sugar is poison.
    Sugar substitutes like aspartame are responsible for most diseases.
    Food which contains "chemicals" is inherently worse than food which somehow does not.
    Eating "organic" food is the secret to health.
    Fast food is not actually food, but actually an addictive drug designed to lower the population.
    Eating only raw food will make you live forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Food myths off the top of my head:

People other than celiacs are "gluten-intolerant".

Not a myth..... certain people are.
    What are your sources?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

So is natural sugar just the gear that occurs naturally in fruit, etc? And honey?

Well, fruit contains three different forms of sugar: Fructose, Glucose and Sucrose. No fruit is the same with regards to how much of each they contain. Some have glucose as the dominant sugar some it's fructose. The sucrose in fruit (if isolated) is the same as the sucrose from raw cane sugar (that's why you can buy things like Coconut Sugar) and so would be nearly as bad for you if eaten in the same way that we consume refined sugar (it contains more minerals though, has a lower GI and so is somewhat better, apparently) but..

The body digests and processes sugar from fruit in different ways than it does refined sugar.
    The sugars in fruit are bonded and contain antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins that all help slow the digestion and absorption of the three sugars in fruit. Refined sugar is rapidly digested and converted to glucose and fructose almost instantly.

Some argue that fruit juice is the same as sugar water even if it's fresh cold pressed juice and I think that's rubbish. I don't accept that giving a a child freshly squeezed apple juice is the same as giving them a drink like Cidona (even if the sugar content is the same) but at least that argument is someone understandable. Folks saying that 100g of sugar from fresh fruit has the same effect on the body as if it came from refined sugar are talking out their jaxxy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

Actually, Coconut Sugar wasn't the best example above,

Monk Fruit is a better one.

They make a refined sugar from this which within a year is going to be the next big alternative to sugar as I'm beginning to read about the fcuker everywhere, just like Stevia and Agave were not so long ago.

If you have any spare cash you want to invest in, Monk Fruit sugar is where to put it.

Coca Cola will undoubtedly start using it in much the same ways as they did with stevia once people start demanding it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Rice crispies ain't too bad. Just puffed rice and a little bit of sugar.

Rice crispies ain't too bad. Just puffed rice and a little bit of sugar.

4g of sugar per serving.

rawn wrote: »
    4g of sugar per serving.
    Is that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Is that bad?

I think it's a teaspoonful....I would've thought it was ok, if you didn't add any extra sugar - but I'm no expert!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Is that bad?

I wouldn't lose sleep about it in the context of a healthy diet with lots of fresh fruit and veg and adequate protein.

I'm totally a believer in there being such a thing as too little sugar. I was sugar free for 5 years, my mood improved so much when I added a bit back in.

I think it's a teaspoonful....I would've thought it was ok, if you didn't add any extra sugar - but I'm no expert!
    Not too bad, I recently cut my 3 cups of tea a day from 4 spoons to 2 spoons so I have some credit built up, thanks for the tip...

• Advertisement

Is that bad?

Sorry, I meant to add that it's not bad.

Advertisement