Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Eggs are bad for you" and other possible food myths. The AH Guide To Healthy Eating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bamboo is the most nutritious superfood.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

mikom wrote: »
    The tannins in black tea have an anti diarrheal effect, and can contribute to constipation.

Source: My ould lad and the scoury calves he doses with cold black tea.

Ah here!!! Is nothing safe. Thanks, hopefully the weakness in the tea minimises the impact but one way or another it appears I can eat bread without needing to worry about constipation induced insomnia!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

The tannins in black tea have an anti diarrheal effect, and can contribute to constipation.

So is drinking black tea good or bad for us humans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

gladrags wrote: »
    So is drinking black tea good or bad for us humans?

Dunno, but if I was having problems squeezing one out I'd look to get my liquids from something other than black tea.
    Otherwise drink away with the black tea............. I love it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

This is why going low-carb works so well for so many people, so many don't realise how much carbs they're eating. The crappy little boil-in-the-bag rice bags are 62.5g or 2.5 portions. And that's the issue with the food pyramid, the "portions" for carbs are laughably small so people not giving themselves a chance to overeat on the carbs side means cutting a huge amount of empty calories out.

Yes, carbs do seem to contain the most calories. The sheer amount of calories in pasta, rice, bread etc. was shocking to me and it's what you tend to bulk up on when eating a typical meal.

Saying that, I love my carbs. I couldn't imagine a life without bread, rice, pasta or potatoes in it, so going Atkins or similar just wouldn't work for me at all. I just have to watch my portions and stay within my daily limits.

Am I right in saying that protein and fats can actually keep you fuller for longer than carbs can (or am I completely wrong on that front??)

• Advertisement

Yes, carbs do seem to contain the most calories. The sheer amount of calories in pasta, rice, bread etc. was shocking to me and it's what you tend to bulk up on when eating a typical meal.

Saying that, I love my carbs. I couldn't imagine a life without bread, rice, pasta or potatoes in it, so going Atkins or similar just wouldn't work for me at all. I just have to watch my portions and stay within my daily limits.

Am I right in saying that protein and fats can actually keep you fuller for longer than carbs can (or am I completely wrong on that front??)
    Per gram they're not that high but it's the sheer quantity that most people can polish off that makes it an issue.

There's some stuff about how lot of carbs can cause insulin spikes and all this other stuff, leaving ya feeling hungry again within a short time. In my experience it does happen, how much of that's for physiological reasons I don't know. Even within a couple of days of going very low-carb I find my appetite pretty much gone and I just graze on cured meats and cheese. :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

But tea has caffeine which causes peristalsis in the bowels provoking a bowel movement. So it probably cancels it out.

But tea has caffeine which causes peristalsis in the bowels provoking a bowel movement. So it probably cancels it out.
    Dunno about humans, but the ould lad uses decaf teabags for dosing.
    The calves are cracked enough without being off their heads on caffeine........ if it even would affect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

FTA69 wrote: »
    I eat 45 eggs a week and feel fantastic.

No man can eat 45 eggs...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I always find it fascinating looking at photos from around the first half of the twentieth century. It seems spots and blemishes on the face just did not exist. They had more active lifestyles in general but it can't be just that. Even people who's features wouldn't be what you necessarily call pretty or handsome looked very good by today's standards.

Interested to hear theories on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

No man can eat 45 eggs...

...in one sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

My favourite is the myth that some people still believe -

"Dont eat after 8pm at night"

Complete rubbish. As long as you dont go over your advised intake for the day - it doesnt matter what time you eat at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

delricyo wrote: »

Complete rubbish. As long as you dont go over your advised intake for the day - it doesnt matter what time you eat at.

Well it does. Depending on what you're eating, you're giving your body more work to do (producing insulin, secreting bile, absorbing nutrients, etc) when your body should be resting. The foods will be broken down into glucose, which will keep your brain and nerves more alert over the next few hours, again, depending on the food. Your digestive system is like a second brain, it's so complex. Just like your brain, you need to let it rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tigger123

I have a protein shake every morning (30g of Whey protein and 200 mls of skimmed milk, basically a small glass) with some peanuts and blueberries. It keeps me going till 1pm no problem at all, so yeah, protein is very filling, and way better for you than any carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

rawn wrote: »
    Well it does. Depending on what you're eating, you're giving your body more work to do (producing insulin, secreting bile, absorbing nutrients, etc) when your body should be resting. The foods will be broken down into glucose, which will keep your brain and nerves more alert over the next few hours, again, depending on the food. Your digestive system is like a second brain, it's so complex. Just like your brain, you need to let it rest!

That is true. But I think people believe that it will lead to weight gain vs the people who are finished their dinner before Eastenders starts :)
    If you are going to be up and awake anyway - there should be no effect on your weight.
    True, it might interrupt sleep if you have a full meal before nodding off. You said above that your mind will be awake. And also your digestive system - possibly leading to an interrupted sleep as your body breaks it down. But as for weight gain - calrories in vs calories out.

However, it has been proven that eating at night might lead to bad eating habits. Having that extra biscuit and piece of toast because you are feeling tired etc. But the main idea that calories after a certain time are worse than others - not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

delricyo wrote: »

What if you are mogwai?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I always find it fascinating looking at photos from around the first half of the twentieth century. It seems spots and blemishes on the face just did not exist. They had more active lifestyles in general but it can't be just that. Even people who's features wouldn't be what you necessarily call pretty or handsome looked very good by today's standards.

The film for the pictures was quite expensive, so they only used it taking pictures of things they'd like to see again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

The film for the pictures was quite expensive, so they only used it taking pictures of things they'd like to see again.

Or cameras back in those old days had so few megapixels, you just can't see the blemishes.

Acne is very much a late 20th century phenomenon, and it's becoming more common.

If I had to guess at a hypothesis, probably the rise in seed oil consumption. Before 1960's seed oils were only used for industrial purposes, they were not part of the food chain in any serious way. Now look at the ingredients for everything, it all has 'sunflower oil' or 'vegetable oil' listed.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as just avoiding them because:
    a) they can take up to 5 years to get out of your system as they are stored in tissue
    b) If you are fed them from a young age they may be permenently embedded in some tissues.

Less selfies back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Acne is very much a late 20th century phenomenon, and it's becoming more common.

If I had to guess at a hypothesis, probably the rise in seed oil consumption. Before 1960's seed oils were only used for industrial purposes, they were not part of the food chain in any serious way. Now look at the ingredients for everything, it all has 'sunflower oil' or 'vegetable oil' listed.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as just avoiding them because:
    a) they can take up to 5 years to get out of your system as they are stored in tissue
    b) If you are fed them from a young age they may be permenently embedded in some tissues.
    How exactly do they get 'embedded in your tissues' seeing as how the oil is ingested and digested, rather than syringed directly into your skin? Acne is due to the over production of sebum in your skin, not oil in your diet. The production of sebum can be influenced by your diet but I know of no mechanism by which food travels directly to your cells.

kylith wrote: »
    How exactly do they get 'embedded in your tissues' seeing as how the oil is ingested and digested, rather than syringed directly into your skin? Acne is due to the over production of sebum in your skin, not oil in your diet. The production of sebum can be influenced by your diet but I know of no mechanism by which food travels directly to your cells.

The fats you eat end up being used by your cells, this is why transfats reek such havoc in your body. They get used like natural fats but disrupt normal cell signalling like crazy.

The fats you eat can influence everything from hormone signalling to cell metabolism.
    More info: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1916101

Basically you are somewhat what you eat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

No way. Oysters are are probably the kings of nutrient density.

And apparently they give ya a fierce oul horn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Whoever said we know very little about Nutrition few pages back had it right.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I have a protein shake every morning (30g of Whey protein and 200 mls of skimmed milk, basically a small glass) with some peanuts and blueberries. It keeps me going till 1pm no problem at all, so yeah, protein is very filling, and way better for you than any carb.

Is that your breakfast or would you have some oats or a cereal too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

It's confusing because cholesterol is used interchangably with HDL and LDL, even in the medical literature. But because fat doesn't disolve in water your body uses proteins to transport cholesterol in the blood.

Total cholesterol is HDL + LDL + VLDL in the blood.

In 99% of cases LDL is actually calculated, not directly measured (it's expensive to directly measure) from your Total, HDL and triglycerides (a different type of fat in the blood) using a formula.

Still not any the wiser tbh.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

KungPao wrote: »
    I've been thinking of leaping onto the bandwagon and giving gluten the heave-ho recently. I eat bread and drink beer and for the last good while, I just can't stop farting. They smell bad too.

From tomorrow, no more gluten and farewell flatulence!

Bah. That's why I eat gluten and drink beer. Its dinner and a show.

Here's one thing I think we can all agree on:

Ice cream, although incredibly delicious, is also one of the easiest ways to put on weight and is therefore evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Dunno about humans, but the ould lad uses decaf teabags for dosing.
    The calves are cracked enough without being off their heads on caffeine........ if it even would affect them.

So what else does you'r oul lad feed the cows,if they are " cracked enough"?

Are the cows sold through the food chain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Balti = ring sting

Advertisement