Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Eggs are bad for you" and other possible food myths. The AH Guide To Healthy Eating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

KungPao wrote: »
    I've been thinking of leaping onto the bandwagon and giving gluten the heave-ho recently. I eat bread and drink beer and for the last good while, I just can't stop farting. They smell bad too.

From tomorrow, no more gluten and farewell flatulence!

Seriously, you are willingly giving up gluten?? After 15 years I still crave fresh soda bread, jaffa cakes, fig rolls, etc. As for being gluten free curing the windies, well, it ain't working here! Enjoy your bread and beer, I would swap with you. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

madmaggie wrote: »
    Seriously, you are willingly giving up gluten?? After 15 years I still crave fresh soda bread, jaffa cakes, fig rolls, etc. As for being gluten free curing the windies, well, it ain't working here! Enjoy your bread and beer, I would swap with you. :p

That'd be your FODMAP intolerance... Google it if u get alot of windies ;)

Question for the lol science behind paleo people what about the massive rise in autoimmune diseases in the past 60 odd years... Have ye articles which I could read that say its not down to diet I'd be guinely interested..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Last year, I had a consultation with a dietician. Although one of the most condescending people I ever met, her advice was good. It was pretty much about moderation of certain foods, and avoiding processed foods. She said to avoid all low fat products as they are usually full of chemically crap. Butter, including cooking with it, was fine as long as it wasn't in Elvis style portions. With meats, go with variety, just don't eat steak every day. Bread in moderation, but given that I live in the US and it tastes like ****e here, that hasn't been too hard to cut out.

I know this is all a bit Captain Obvious, but by making a few simple changes, and preparing as many meals as possible myself and with natural ingredients, I feel I have a much healthier diet. Couldn't bring myself to ask her to analyses my beer consumption though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

seamus wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with eggs. They're a good source of everything.

Good source of chickens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

A lot of people are allergic to eggs and do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm a nutritionist.

No, it is I who is the nutritionist!

Question for the lol science behind paleo people what about the massive rise in autoimmune diseases in the past 60 odd years... Have ye articles which I could read that say its not down to diet I'd be guinely interested..
    Have you a study saying it is? That's kinda how science works.

Nothing to stop you calling yourself a nutritionist. Literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Nutritionist to dietician = toothologist to dentist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

No, I am Spartacus!

Have you a study saying it is? That's kinda how science works.

Ugh tried linking on my phone it thinks I'm uploading images just a quick google and you'll see for urself...

No idea what's ur "kinda how science works" means in response to my message sounds like something a nine year old would say when they don't know what they are on about..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Ugh tried linking on my phone it thinks I'm uploading images. just a quick google and you'll see for yourself...

No idea what's ur kinda how science works means in response to my message sounds like something a nine year old would say when they don't know what they are on about..
    ?
    Hard to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ugh tried linking on my phone it thinks I'm uploading images just a quick google and you'll see for urself...

No idea what's ur kinda how science works means in response to my message sounds like something a nine year old would say when they don't know what they are on about..

Lack of sugar in your diet appears to be making you incoherent.

Lack of sugar in your diet appears to be making you incoherent.

I'm not paleo dude but why would one have a lack of sugar if they were on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Coke is fattening though - it's full of sugar! Something doesn't have to contain chunks of lard to be fattening. :)
    White bread is high in calories too, but the odd helping of it is grand.
    Agreed on the biscuit/dessert thing - same people often horse into a rake of beers at the weekend!
    All this will soon be fine.

Gene discovery prevents weight gain with a high-sugar diet
    Altered Gut Microbiome as a result of taking anti biotics, especially when young.

Why would diet cause them at all? Unless it's a food covered in antibiotics, ham, chicken, honey....then your on to pesticides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Nokia3210 wrote: »
    I have about 30 eggs a week an I've never felt better. Eggs are nature's multivitamin.
    you'd get sick of them surly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

'Chinese food is fattening'

Err no it isn't you very rarely see a fat Chinese person!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Oranage2 wrote: »
    'Chinese food is fattening'

Err no it isn't you very rarely see a fat Chinese person!

I think they mean Chinese takeaway is fattening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

So, in this thread:

People talking bolix.

Carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sturdyhairy

Did you know that forty per cent of the world’s eggs are consumed in China?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

The only forum which is weirder than AH is Nutrition and Diet. Over there bread is poison.

True but the Pets one is kinda strange too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I see everyone is an expert on nutrition here despite the fact the so called 'experts' are consistently reporting new found evidence that completely contradicts the previous held belief on the pros/cons of a particular food.

We have nothing more than a very basic understanding of nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

fussyonion wrote: »
    Oh are you a nutritionist?

I reckon the majority of adults in this country ate white bread growing up, probably still do, and have no issues.
    It's just the "health brigade" who class it as high in sugar/high in fat/causes sugar crashes.

All poncey words to make other people feel more superior!
    My pancreas is just perfect, thanks!!

Type 2 diabetes is reaching almost epidemic proportions in adults. I'm studying nutrition in college. Congratulations on your perfect pancreas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Nokia3210 wrote: »
    I have about 30 eggs a week an I've never felt better.

Good luck with that heart attack

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

One question: when they do a test for cholesterol, they add the HDL and the LDL together (plus triglyercides divided by 5)

I was eating 2 eggs a day for about 2 years and recently got checked for cholesterol. My diet would be healthy generally and I don't eat junk or biscuits etc. very often but my cholesterol was a little higher than it should've been yet my HDL and LDL and the tricoljkwhdjsd fellas were all within a healthy range on their own.

That confuses me; if HDL is healthy, how come it's added, not subtracted from the total cholesterol?

I've cut down on the eggs anyway and I'm back on the porridge with water as they're really the only cholesterol-y thing I eat regularly (and some cheese).

Confusing (for me).

I know the quick ones add them togeher but I'm pretty sure a more in depth test or something splits them as it's beneficial to look at the two separately? Duno. I was reading about it a while back and I don't think it's eating cholesterol that gives you cholesterol, like eating fat doesn't make you fat. I don't remember where I was reading that article though.
    Wouldn't mind getting mine tested again. Got an aul lecture from the lady doing my sugar and chol tests about fruit and veg while we were waiting for the results ... which turned out to say I was already awesome. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I dunno...call me simple, but not having enough food is fatal. The stuff you eat that gives you minerals and energy etc is very good for you, and we call it "food".

Too muchof it, poor quality, contaminated, or deficient - all these mean that the Food isn't doing as much good as it should: but it still counts as Food.

I always remember that in that film "Alive!" where they got aeroplane wrecked on the high snowy Andes, they ate toothpaste as a treat. (dessert after eating the corpses of the fellow passengers)

sorry if that is in poor taste (oops) but it makes the point: they stayed Alive

and I have seen so many food approvals/bans come and go, that when I want to decide what is the very healthiest nourishment, I look at what the healthiest, happiest most long-lived people in the world actually eat.

Eggs, yes. Meat, yes, but very moderately. Plants, all kinds, loads of. Sugar - very little. Starches from plant sources - plenty, as required.

But here's the kicker: processed factory-made chemically modified - virtually none.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

"<insert cereal here> can help weight loss as part of a calorie controlled diet"

Fcuking cheeseburgers can help weight loss as part of a calorie controlled diet. That doesn't make them good for you (but much tastier than that cereal sh1te)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Today is World Egg Day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

everything in moderation, including moderation.

off now for some strangled eggs and toast (white and brown)yum.

Advertisement