Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Eggs are bad for you" and other possible food myths. The AH Guide To Healthy Eating

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Question for the lol science behind paleo people what about the massive rise in autoimmune diseases in the past 60 odd years... Have ye articles which I could read that say its not down to diet I'd be guinely interested..
    As Rucking_Fetard wrote the rise of antibiotics, the over prescription of same seems to have played a part. The "bacteria are bad mkay" meme with people being frightened into dousing everything with dettol and domestos meant and means people in the west are also less exposed to the rich soup of bacteria in the wild especially as kids. So their growing gut bacteria ecosystems are buggered up by either direct antibiotic application and/or they don't get exposed to enough bacteria to grow a good ecosystem and their immune systems suffer.

Put it another way, go back 60 years and people weren't eating paleo or anything like it. Processed food wasn't invented in the 80's. They were eating a lot less in general and tended to eat more "local" foods and led less sedentary lives.

The other problem with eating like a caveman is we're not, or the majority of us aren't cavemen anymore. There have been a helluva lot of genetic changes in the human genome in the last 10,000 odd years. Physical changes too. Our skulls got smaller, as did our teeth, we became much less robust overall. Your average Cro Magnon fully modern human, the dudes who painted the caves of France and Spain of 30,000 years ago were built like a tank. Bone densities of Olympic athletes. Now some Paleo buffs claim this was lifestyle and diet and sure they'd have an effect, but while modern "cavemen", folks living the huntergatherer lifestyle are in far better condition than your average office worker, they're also less robust than our ancestors of 20,000 years ago. They can also show the same genetic changes of the last 10,000 years.

The other issue is what "paleo" diet do you follow. Humans had very varied diets depending on environments and food sources available. A bloke living in paleolithic France had a different diet to a bloke living in paleolithic Ethiopia or Vietnam. Hell a bloke living in central France had a different diet to a bloke living on the coast. Some made the Atkins diet look like not really trying and had the diet profile of wolves, while others were much more veggie, particularly root veggie based. That's one reason humans were so successful and could move into areas so easily, we'll eat an thrive on damn near everything.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a good diet and lifestyle with the crossfit type stuff on top and far better than cake, coke and chinner dinners, but I wish the proponents would ease off the hype and bro science of it.

As for eating bread and grains? Turns out the first people to do that, were Neandertals, not us modern humans. They have found the evidence of processed grains stuck in their dental tartar.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

In the words of Michael Pollan.
    "Eat food. Eat a lot. Mostly plants."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

bluewolf wrote: »
    I know the quick ones add them togeher but I'm pretty sure a more in depth test or something splits them as it's beneficial to look at the two separately? Duno. I was reading about it a while back and I don't think it's eating cholesterol that gives you cholesterol, like eating fat doesn't make you fat. I don't remember where I was reading that article though.
    Wouldn't mind getting mine tested again. Got an aul lecture from the lady doing my sugar and chol tests about fruit and veg while we were waiting for the results ... which turned out to say I was already awesome. :cool:

I'd get them tested if I were you. I was very surprised by my result as I literally only eat salads, brown bread, fruit, fish, chickpeas, some cheese, yoghurt, eggs (only 1 every other day now), porridge, dark chocolate, wine, the odd beer and the odd biscuit (aren't I feckin' great!), so presumed I'd be grand (I was slightly anaemic too). It was only a little bit over but didn't expect it. The HDL was very high yet they added it on, so it confused me.

Basically I'm going to die of a heart-attack very soon if the Ebola doesn't get me first. :) Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

My missus has taken to asking for curry with no MSG in the local Chinese. It tastes the same but I reckon they put in extra MSG just cos its a nuisance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd get them tested if I were you. I was very surprised by my result as I literally only eat salads, brown bread, fruit, fish, chickpeas, some cheese, yoghurt, eggs (only 1 every other day now), porridge, dark chocolate, wine, the odd beer and the odd biscuit (aren't I feckin' great!), so presumed I'd be grand (I was slightly anaemic too). It was only a little bit over but didn't expect it. The HDL was very high yet they added it on, so it confused me.

Basically I'm going to die of a heart-attack very soon if the Ebola doesn't get me first. :) Good times.

It's only been a year or so since I got em done last ^^
    but I might

• Advertisement

It's only been a year or so since I got em done last ^^
    but I might

They say every 5 years...but mine were tested two years ago and were fine, so why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have eggs for breakfast all the time

Same. I always have boiled eggs for breakfast.

There was a thing going around that eggs are very high in cholesterol, but it was complete bull****. In fact, eggs is one of the best Breakfast item you can have. They got a ton of healthy stuff in them and they are extremely filling.

All the cereals are not healthy. Most of them are loaded with sugar. Cereals are not filling at all.

Subway. Subway might look like a lesser evil from all fast food, but it is extremely high in calories. In some cases you are better off just going to McDonalds and stuff your face with cheeseburger then having a Subway.

Yogurts and SPECIALLY low fat Yogurts are just full of calories. You looking after your weight, then stay the feck away from them.

Yogurts and SPECIALLY low fat Yogurts are just full of calories. You looking after your weight, then stay the feck away from them.

...or have one a day like normal people do. I have one Greek yoghurt a day unsweetened and it's 112 calories. My boyfriend has low fat yoghurts in the fridge there and they're 36 calories each. Not exactly loaded with calories. Everything in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

madmaggie wrote: »
    Seriously, you are willingly giving up gluten?? After 15 years I still crave fresh soda bread, jaffa cakes, fig rolls, etc. As for being gluten free curing the windies, well, it ain't working here! Enjoy your bread and beer, I would swap with you. :p
    I'm giving it a go yeah! I have other reasons besides the the unending flatulence. Tired all the time, muscles hurt, general ****tiness, so I'll give this a lash.

I like a bit of bread, but I wouldn't cry without biscuits and cakes. I'll just eat chocolate and popcorn to satisfy sugar and salt cravings. I like pasta too, but I love rice so I can switch to that.

I'm not looking to go 100% gluten-free...I shan't obsess, but a very low gluten diet shall be attempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Did you know that forty per cent of the world’s eggs are consumed in China?

So that's why there's a lump missing from my egg! Bloody Chinese!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

fullstop wrote: »
    It's becoming more widely accepted that dietary cholesterol isn't as bad as was previously thought, and there is also HDL cholesterol in eggs so to say they are full of bad cholesterol is certainly false.
    HDL is a carrier lipoprotein, not cholesterol. But eggs can raise overall cholesterol in one in four people, but it does raise HDL to boot so is therefore good
    Wibbs wrote: »
    True dat, though I would say - and just going on personal experience here(a couple of rellies being actual coeliacs, not the "oh I read it in a magazine so I'm gluten intolerant" BS) - if you stop eating bread for a while, one thing I noticed was how very salty it is. It kinda sat on my gut too. Still that's just me and given I do have rellies with full blown coeliac disease/condition, it may well impact on me more. Even so I found cutting out bread to be slightly noticeable for me and my energy levels and such. YMMV.

On that point and it is just MHO, I reckon one's personal gut biodiversity is a biggie in how you deal with food. EG I can go for weeks just consuming animal products, fish, eggs, cow, turkey, duck etc and feel great on that diet. An ex of mine was a qualified nutritionist(so few are) and was gobsmacked at this setup. She was even more gobsmacked when she saw the results of a blood test I had at the time(for an unconnected reason), that showed the usual markers for good health to be high. Oh and I was as "regular" as clockwork with it. On the other hand I once went pure veggie for six months and my system/guts/energy level took a serious nosedive. And I was bound up to fook with it. Roughage my arse, or not as the case was...:o:D

Like I say I reckon my gut biomass had gotten settled in with a more protien/meat based diet and going veggie had all my bacteria going "WTF is monkey boy feeding us here, the prick". :D

Another wider aspect is population and diet. IE Asian folks have been chowing down on soya based foods for over 2000 years and it does them good. However that may not translate to other populations with a different genetic legacy. Irish folks have only had soya in the system for 20 years or so. They may not be able to metabolise this novel protein the way Asian populations can. Another example would be dairy. Most Europeans have the We dig lactose gene, but those folks from India don't because of cultural and historical reasons. So while a lad from Galway can chug a glass of milk and butter his toast or melt cheese into it and get pleasure and good nutrients from it, another lad from Mumbai would be chained to the jacks after such a meal(as would a "caveman").

Another example would be alcohol. Europeans, middle easterners and others in that general area have adaptations to metabolise the stuff. They basically invented it and did so at least 6,000 years ago. It came to parts of the rest of the world much later, so they have real difficulties with it. Many East Asian folks have bad reactions to a couple of drinks, Native Americans and Australians can have disastrous reactions from the stuff.

In the last 10,000 years humans and their genomes have changed more than in the previous 80,000 years and much of those changes were down to dietary adaptations. Another reason why the "Paleo" diet is a complete fcuking nonsense.

TL;DR? IMHO Avoid proteins that are novel to your genotype and be aware of your personal gut biome and take it from there. No one size fits all.

Gut bacteria don't bother much with proteins, just any non-human digestible carbs, that's why after not eating bread for a while you'll find you don't digest it well, that's down to the fructans, not the gluten.

Sometimes you can retrain your gut bacteria by just persevering with a bit of gas for a time, or if you have IBS like me there's just always going to be foods you can't indulge in too often.

Regarding proteins and genotype, the longest place in the world to have wheat is the middle east, and they have shocking rates of coeliac. The asians eat soy, but they ferment it and eat it in small quantities and always with a source of iodine, to counteract the goitrogens. A far cry from using it as a wholesale protein substitute like the west does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

The No. 1 food myth I hate is that fat content = fattening.

HDL is a carrier lipoprotein, not cholesterol. But eggs can raise overall cholesterol in one in four people, but it does raise HDL to boot so is therefore good

You sound like you know what you're talking about: why do they add HDL to LDL when calculating overall cholesterol?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

You sound like you know what you're talking about: why do they add HDL to LDL when calculating overall cholesterol?

It's confusing because cholesterol is used interchangably with HDL and LDL, even in the medical literature. But because fat doesn't disolve in water your body uses proteins to transport cholesterol in the blood.

Total cholesterol is HDL + LDL + VLDL in the blood.

In 99% of cases LDL is actually calculated, not directly measured (it's expensive to directly measure) from your Total, HDL and triglycerides (a different type of fat in the blood) using a formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Cornflakes are lower in fat than Special K

You dont have to eat breakfast to "kick start" your metabolism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Portion sizes! People go crazy on portion sizes!

I decided to lose a few pounds a few months back (well, about 20 :o), so started watching calories and weighing food. I was shocked at how much I was shovelling into my mouth, thinking it was just a normal portion size! So much pasta :(

Also, I think everything in moderation is the key. Life's too short to worry about gluten and carbs and sugar and fat all the time. As long as you stick to eating as fresh and healthy as you can, as much as you can, there's absolutely no harm in indulging in 'bad' stuff every now and again. It would be a pretty miserable life without cheesecake in it.

Just watch the portion sizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

KungPao wrote: »
    I've been thinking of leaping onto the bandwagon and giving gluten the heave-ho recently. I eat bread and drink beer and for the last good while, I just can't stop farting. They smell bad too.

From tomorrow, no more gluten and farewell flatulence!

It's actually the sugar not the gluten that has you farting like a trooper (or so I'm led to believe). If you were having gluten issues you'd more likely be constipated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

murphm45 wrote: »
    It's actually the sugar not the gluten that has you farting like a trooper (or so I'm led to believe). If you were having gluten issues you'd more likely be constipated.

So much wrong in one post.

mikom wrote: »
    So much wrong in one post.

Fair enough but can you point out where I'm wrong then? Not much good to me telling me wrong without some sort of a steer as to what's right.

Fair enough but can you point out where I'm wrong then? Not much good to me telling me wrong without some sort of a steer as to what's right.

Adults with a gluten intolerance will be farting and blowing everything out the back end.
    Constipation due to a gluten intolerance usually only shows up in very young children.

Sources: My belly, my hole, and my doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I eat 45 eggs a week and feel fantastic.

Adults with a gluten intolerance will be farting and blowing everything out the back end.
    Constipation due to a gluten intolerance usually only shows up in very young children.

Hmmm interesting people have been busy lying to me so (telling me eating too much bread was what was making me constipated)! That's good to know, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

FTA69 wrote: »
    I eat 45 eggs a week and feel fantastic.
    That you Paul Newman?

Portion sizes! People go crazy on portion sizes!

I decided to lose a few pounds a few months back (well, about 20 :o), so started watching calories and weighing food. I was shocked at how much I was shovelling into my mouth, thinking it was just a normal portion size! So much pasta :(

Also, I think everything in moderation is the key. Life's too short to worry about gluten and carbs and sugar and fat all the time. As long as you stick to eating as fresh and healthy as you can, as much as you can, there's absolutely no harm in indulging in 'bad' stuff every now and again. It would be a pretty miserable life without cheesecake in it.

Just watch the portion sizes!

This is why going low-carb works so well for so many people, so many don't realise how much carbs they're eating. The crappy little boil-in-the-bag rice bags are 62.5g or 2.5 portions. And that's the issue with the food pyramid, the "portions" for carbs are laughably small so people not giving themselves a chance to overeat on the carbs side means cutting a huge amount of empty calories out.

Hmmm interesting people have been busy lying to me so (telling me eating too much bread was what was making me constipated)! That's good to know, thanks.

It could be making you constipated due to some other reason, but more than likely not because of the gluten.
    I would not be a fan of eating too much bread anyway especially that pure white sticky shite......... Cuisine de france baguettes and the like.

You sure you are taking on enough liquids each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

That you Paul Newman?

Not in one sitting like. I eat 3 for breakfast and also 3 post training, seven days a week. Occasionally I'll have a few more if I'm peckish. Eggs are a great source of protein and good fats and are a great part of a healthy diet.

It could be making you constipated due to some other reason, but more than likely not because of the gluten.
    I would not be a fan of eating too much bread anyway especially that pure white sticky shite......... Cuisine de france baguettes and the like.

You sure you are taking on enough liquids each day?

To be fair it hasn't happened in a while and it would have eaten a lot to cause it (maybe two slides pans over three day for a week), but it could be something else in the bread or could have been a coincidence. I wouldn't have thought it was the liquids because I definitely get at least 2 litres a day now (most via black tea) but to be honest I can't say with confidence that I was when I was have 'problems'.

Thanks though. It always nice to learn something new particularly when it lets me eat more bread!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just going on my personal experience of it I'd agree. I've a rellie with a very strong case of coeliac disease and if they're exposed to gluten they'd be praying for constipation.
    :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Wibbs wrote: »
    True dat, though I would say - and just going on personal experience here(a couple of rellies being actual coeliacs, not the "oh I read it in a magazine so I'm gluten intolerant" BS) - if you stop eating bread for a while, one thing I noticed was how very salty it is. It kinda sat on my gut too. Still that's just me and given I do have rellies with full blown coeliac disease/condition, it may well impact on me more. Even so I found cutting out bread to be slightly noticeable for me and my energy levels and such. YMMV.

On that point and it is just MHO, I reckon one's personal gut biodiversity is a biggie in how you deal with food. EG I can go for weeks just consuming animal products, fish, eggs, cow, turkey, duck etc and feel great on that diet. An ex of mine was a qualified nutritionist(so few are) and was gobsmacked at this setup. She was even more gobsmacked when she saw the results of a blood test I had at the time(for an unconnected reason), that showed the usual markers for good health to be high. Oh and I was as "regular" as clockwork with it. On the other hand I once went pure veggie for six months and my system/guts/energy level took a serious nosedive. And I was bound up to fook with it. Roughage my arse, or not as the case was...:o:D

Like I say I reckon my gut biomass had gotten settled in with a more protien/meat based diet and going veggie had all my bacteria going "WTF is monkey boy feeding us here, the prick". :D

Another wider aspect is population and diet. IE Asian folks have been chowing down on soya based foods for over 2000 years and it does them good. However that may not translate to other populations with a different genetic legacy. Irish folks have only had soya in the system for 20 years or so. They may not be able to metabolise this novel protein the way Asian populations can. Another example would be dairy. Most Europeans have the We dig lactose gene, but those folks from India don't because of cultural and historical reasons. So while a lad from Galway can chug a glass of milk and butter his toast or melt cheese into it and get pleasure and good nutrients from it, another lad from Mumbai would be chained to the jacks after such a meal(as would a "caveman").

Another example would be alcohol. Europeans, middle easterners and others in that general area have adaptations to metabolise the stuff. They basically invented it and did so at least 6,000 years ago. It came to parts of the rest of the world much later, so they have real difficulties with it. Many East Asian folks have bad reactions to a couple of drinks, Native Americans and Australians can have disastrous reactions from the stuff.

In the last 10,000 years humans and their genomes have changed more than in the previous 80,000 years and much of those changes were down to dietary adaptations. Another reason why the "Paleo" diet is a complete fcuking nonsense.

TL;DR? IMHO Avoid proteins that are novel to your genotype and be aware of your personal gut biome and take it from there. No one size fits all.

I had to change my lifestyle radically,earlier this year,particularly diet, for heath reasons.

From your daily big Irish breakfast,take aways,smoking, and alcohol consumption...

to fruit,porridge,fish etc in one fell swoop.

After a month or two, started to get digestive problems,the probl worsened, v bad bouts of dioherria,dehydration,no energy.

Tried all he GP meds...no luck.

Then I thought about the sudden effect of the diet change on digestive system.

I cut down on fruit, fish, brown bread,and consumed more regular food.

Problem solved.

You,r advice makes good common sense.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have thought it was the liquids because I definitely get at least 2 litres a day now (most via black tea) but to be honest I can't say with confidence that I was when I was have 'problems'.

The tannins in black tea have an anti diarrheal effect, and can contribute to constipation.

Source: My ould lad and the scoury calves he doses with cold black tea.

Advertisement