Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 International Rules

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

icdg wrote: »
    Chance to watch the Australian TV coverage on BT Sport 2 at the moment.

Was the match live on BT?

Don't know much about Aussie Rules but from what I gather that was a ridiculously strong team they sent out. Meanwhile Earley picks a team of tier 2 counties. We complained about the Aussies not taking it seriously and we send out that team!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Someone must have told Aidan O'Shea that this was a final...

Maybe he's still 'concussed' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

washman3 wrote: »
    Maybe he's still 'concussed' :rolleyes:

Or maybe he is not the football sensation that Mayo folk like to tell us.

He has the skill levels of a bag of Cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

If next years game is to be played in the US/Boston as has been hinted then what stadium could they use?

Fenway Park is a great little stadium in a great location but it looked a bit cramped with a soccer pitch on it so I doubt the playing area can do.
    the-field-was-shoe-horned-into-fenway-from-the-third-base-foul-line-to-the-right-field-wall-with-the-green-monster-on-the-left.jpg

Harvard Stadium probably has the length but not enough width.
    photo2003.jpg

iDave wrote: »
    Was the match live on BT?

Don't know much about Aussie Rules but from what I gather that was a ridiculously strong team they sent out. Meanwhile Earley picks a team of tier 2 counties. We complained about the Aussies not taking it seriously and we send out that team!

It was on TG4.

I'd probably be one of the few Irish lads around here who watches the AFL and that was more certainly a loaded squad.

Players had to be previous All-Australians to be considered for selection so obviously that gives them the pick of the best.

There was a fair few more who could easily have been playing and possibly strengthened the team even more(you could literally make another 15 who are AA's too who weren't in the squad and you wouldn't have had a hard time getting a fellow fan to accept them) never mind keep it at the level it was.

It has to be noted as well that while Aus' had more or less their best team, Ireland had not.
    We seem to be have developed a policy of picking players for the game as opposed to our best players.

From Galway if I had to pick one it would have been Shane Walsh, the lad is seriously skillfull(and tried out for the AFL combine so knows whats required).
    There were lads in that squad who I hadn't even heard of, no way are they among the best in the country.

We need to make sure we're picking our best players if we want to put it up to the Aussies selecting anywhere near their best.
    NoelJ wrote: »
    I agree with this, the Aussies put out their full team with most of their players being all stars. I'm not a big GAA fan but there wasn't many all stars on the team. Was it just they weren't suited to International Rules or just didn't want to travel?

I'd love to see this taken seriously and have a all stars 15 vs all stars 15

I don't think using our All Stars is a good indicator of our best players.

The All Australian is inclusive of players from even sub par teams.
    The AFL uses a similar end of season system to the All-Ireland (with a second chance for some teams losing their first game) but they also play a 19 round league to provide the 8 finalists.
    Players from the lower clubs have 19 games to prove their worth for an AllAustralian.

Since the GAA is a shortened season, our All Stars are primarily given to the winning team and losing finalist, it's more of a player recognition based on their teams final placing more than a ''best 15 selection''.
    It wouldn't provide the means to fill our Irish team.
    I think they need to develop a system.
    Take it out of the current managers hands and put it to a more widespread agreement system.

There's a general misconception that you need to be big to play AFL, it's no different than GAA really in that you'd need size and strength in the usual positions(midfield, Full Foward, Full Back, CB) but like GAA there's also positions where smaller lads excel(rovers, crumbing forwards).
    We can use smaller lads in the roles that already work in our sport.

If our best players aren't suited to this game, then they wouldn't be good enough for our own game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't see the logic in playing this in the states. I doubt there would be too many grounds capable of hosting it due to the size of the pitch and where would the interest be? I mean it's a mix and match of two sports most American people will never have even heard of. Bring it back to Ireland and try sell out Croke Park. Cut ticket prices, let loads of kids in for free and market the shít out of it all Summer so people actually know it's taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It was on TG4.

I'd probably be one of the few Irish lads around here who watches the AFL and that was more certainly a loaded squad.

Players had to be previous All-Australians to be considered for selection so obviously that gives them the pick of the best.

There was a fair few more who could easily have been playing and possibly strengthened the team even more(you could literally make another 15 who are AA's too who weren't in the squad and you wouldn't have had a hard time getting a fellow fan to accept them) never mind keep it at the level it was.

It has to be noted as well that while Aus' had more or less their best team, Ireland had not.
    We seem to be have developed a policy of picking players for the game as opposed to our best players.

From Galway if I had to pick one it would have been Shane Walsh, the lad is seriously skillfull(and tried out for the AFL combine so knows whats required).
    There were lads in that squad who I hadn't even heard of, no way are they among the best in the country.

We need to make sure we're picking our best players if we want to put it up to the Aussies selecting anywhere near their best.

I don't think using our All Stars is a good indicator of our best players.

The All Australian is inclusive of players from even sub par teams.
    The AFL uses a similar end of season system to the All-Ireland (with a second chance for some teams losing their first game) but they also play a 19 round league to provide the 8 finalists.
    Players from the lower clubs have 19 games to prove their worth for an AllAustralian.

Since the GAA is a shortened season, our All Stars are primarily given to the winning team and losing finalist, it's more of a player recognition based on their teams final placing more than a ''best 15 selection''.
    It wouldn't provide the means to fill our Irish team.
    I think they need to develop a system.
    Take it out of the current managers hands and put it to a more widespread agreement system.

There's a general misconception that you need to be big to play AFL, it's no different than GAA really in that you'd need size and strength in the usual positions(midfield, Full Foward, Full Back, CB) but like GAA there's also positions where smaller lads excel(rovers, crumbing forwards).
    We can use smaller lads in the roles that already work in our sport.

If our best players aren't suited to this game, then they wouldn't be good enough for our own game.

Shane Walsh has only had a few months inter-county experience! He is a wonderful prospect but he should be nowhere near an international rules team at the moment. Let him get some decent inter-county experience first!

Shane Walsh has only had a few months inter-county experience! He is a wonderful prospect but he should be nowhere near an international rules team at the moment. Let him get some decent inter-county experience first!

You missed my point.

Galway had one player, Hanley so I was saying if I had a choice of one Galway player it would have been him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

iDave wrote: »
    Was the match live on BT

Nope. They ran what amounted to a full replay on Saturday night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

icdg wrote: »
    Nope. They ran what amounted to a full replay on Saturday night though.
    and now I see that it was live on Eurosport 2 on the continent.

Well done to the GAA/ AFL for their publicity on letting us know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement