Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Carrauntoohil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I don't believe the zig zag route is any steeper then the other descent routes, although I guess everyone will have a difference of opinion on that.

We ascended by the devils ladder on Saturday, found it fine and not as dangerous as we expected, although the weather was perfect for us.
    We descended via the zig zags and again found this fine, with ascending you just need to take your time and don't rush it. I find ascending much easier, generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

youngrun wrote: »
    Hi is there a map for the zigzags route anywhere, have looked at the KMR site but not on that. Looking at doing this over summer, physically very fit but do not have a great head for heights when descending...

IMO the Caher route from the Hydro Road would be the least steep route. There is a short steep section between Caher and Carrauntoohil but it's no more than 100m and it has a clearly defined path.

I prefer climbing from that side anyway as it's quieter and Coomloughra is a lovely valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

blacklilly wrote: »
    I don't believe the zig zag route is any steeper then the other descent routes, although I guess everyone will have a difference of opinion on that.

We ascended by the devils ladder on Saturday, found it fine and not as dangerous as we expected, although the weather was perfect for us.
    We descended via the zig zags and again found this fine, with ascending you just need to take your time and don't rush it. I find ascending much easier, generally.

When you start from the top of the zig zag looking down into the Valley it seems daunting because the initial path is narrow. The Bone is boulder after boulder on the way down and your mind is more focused on that, rather "it is a long way down".

But as I said everyone will have an opinion.

Regarding Caher, there is a bit where you get over Caher West and come down a little then circumvent a fence the path goes very close to the edge :) but I guess the OP can just not follow the path for that bit.

For me, the easiest route up is from the Bridia Valley, up Curraghmore and over Caher, hence it is the route used in the IMRA runs as it lends itself to running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Thanks. Same here, fine ascending . descending get the vertigo ... Would coming down devils ladder be ok or is it tootricky saw some warnings re erosion on paths, loose rocks etc .

• Advertisement

Down the Devils ladder is fine, lots of folks do it. Have to be careful not to knock stones on those coming up which can be frustrating and not a great way to make introductions & friends. So for this reason, if that is the plan I suggest you do it later in the day.

Brought a lad up there last year who forgot to mention he was afraid of heights and he came down the devils ladder on his back side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If you don't have a head for heights the zigzag is I think the best route - it's a walk down the hill. Devils ladder could be scary descending and you'll probably come down on your bum. Caher has some fine drops in a few places, that's not ideal either. The Bone is fine, but you have to find it in the first place, and if you don't get the correct descent path you'll be in a bit of bother.

youngrun wrote: »
    Thanks. Same here, fine ascending . descending get the vertigo ... Would coming down devils ladder be ok or is it tootricky saw some warnings re erosion on paths, loose rocks etc .

I wouldn't consider it too tricky, there is an unwritten rule not to ascend via the devils ladders in the afternoon/evening in order to allow people descend safely (i.e not kick loose stone on those climbing).

The erosion here is bad but once adequate car is taken, you should find it fine.

The erosion here is bad but once adequate car is taken, you should find it fine.

Ah it would surely bust the suspension in any car...

Ah it would surely bust the suspension in any car...

Thanks Conor, took me a second to realise my error when I read your post:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anybody got current walking conditions up there? Devils ladder safe under foot?

Snow has cleared, cloudy today. Devils ladder is as safe as it usually is. If you do not like the look of it you can always go up the zig zags.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anybody got current walking conditions up there? Devils ladder safe under foot?

Went for a run there Saturday, went up O'Sheas Gully which had a good bit of snow, but the 3 gullies always retain snow longer than other areas because of their orientation. Devil's Ladder looked clear, but suspect weather would have loosened a lot of material there.

I'm sure it has dried out pretty much now, given the lack of rain over the past few weeks? anyone up there recently

Might head up there tomorrow evening, fellows running the 26 high points trying to break the record so might join them on Carrauntoohil

Might head up there tomorrow evening, fellows running the 26 high points trying to break the record so might join them on Carrauntoohil

Well?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Well?

Decided against it in the end, slight quad strain and while running on the flat is fine, running down the Zig Zags might be a week or 2 too soon. But a friend went up with them and she said, unsurprisingly, it's pretty dry up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Sorry for the zombie thread bump. Will be down in the reeks shortly and just wondering if anyone knows what condition devil's ladder is in this year?

Thinking of going up via ladder and down by heavenly gates. Also, are there any cairns or posts to help find the route to the heavenly gates? Have maps, compasses and proper gear etc, know how to use it, but no harm to know if there's something obvious to assist. (Will go down devils ladder or zig zags if we can't be sure we've found the right path to heavenly gates)

Ladder is always hit and miss depends on who is ahead of you. Zig/Zags is nice option too.

No real landmarks for "heavenly gates" and there are two paths and its the lower one you want. I have come down this way many times and I need to orient myself each time coming down this route. When coming down head towards the top of the ladder. Then you can see a cluster of large rocks (6ft+ height) on your left sticking up, when you reach them start walking back up hill close enough to the cliff edge then you should be able to make out the path after 15mins of walking. This weekend is looking good, but if it is at all foggy do take the route.

Your best bet :) maybe to wait for 30 mins or so and see if you anyone else coming/going that route. Its a nice track and a bit of an adventure. Check youtube also.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

Sorry for the zombie thread bump. Will be down in the reeks shortly and just wondering if anyone knows what condition devil's ladder is in this year?

Thinking of going up via ladder and down by heavenly gates. Also, are there any cairns or posts to help find the route to the heavenly gates? Have maps, compasses and proper gear etc, know how to use it, but no harm to know if there's something obvious to assist. (Will go down devils ladder or zig zags if we can't be sure we've found the right path to heavenly gates)

The Ladder is hit and miss really - all depends on the weather really. Given our current "summer" weather I imagine it being a waterfall ;)

No obvious landmarks for the Gates other than what the previous poster mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Haven't hiked in ages, let alone been anywhere near a mountain, but I assume with the ongoing Irish poxy weather of the past 3 weeks, any mountain and path will be a muddy and slippery death trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Thanks for all the advice, very helpful.

Yikes. Zig zags it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

hi there hikers, we are a group of 5 or 6 who would love to climb Carrauntoohil this Autumn, we all are out most weeks either climbing or long walks so fitness not an issue. Is it possible to get a guide as none of us would be map readers or anything like that, just love hiking for the sake of it.

hi there hikers, we are a group of 5 or 6 who would love to climb Carrauntoohil this Autumn, we all are out most weeks either climbing or long walks so fitness not an issue. Is it possible to get a guide as none of us would be map readers or anything like that, just love hiking for the sake of it.

Piaras at KerryClimbing.ie or John at the Reeks Guiding Company are 2 fantastic guides

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Piaras at KerryClimbing.ie or John at the Reeks Guiding Company are 2 fantastic guides

yep, we are using Kerry climbing on 8th August to guide us up. 65 euro each, but they do discounts for groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Is it advised to use a guide or is it easy enough to follow the safest route with others if we start in the morning and take normal precautions and wear suitable gear etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,836 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Don't depend on others. If you do not have the skills and experience (including map reading and compass use - with little or no visibility)
    to make it up and down safely on your own, hire a guide.

gandroid wrote: »
    Is it advised to use a guide or is it easy enough to follow the safest route with others if we start in the morning and take normal precautions and wear suitable gear etc.

If you are confident in your map reading and navigation skills, I would say you should be ok. If you have any doubt in your ability to self position, map read or navigate is bad weather conditions, I would get a guide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

gandroid wrote: »

If the weather is clear, there's no problem, because the paths are all well worn, and easy to follow.

There are also always plenty of other hikers to follow on Carrauntouhil, so as long as it's busy and you're willing to ask for help, if you need it, you'll be fine.

To be safe, you should have a map and compass, and know how to use them, but the truth is, on Carrauntouhill, from Cronin's yard, 9 times out of 10, you won't even have to think about navigation, because you'll be following a well worn path, or other groups of hikers.

It's a mighty place, enjoy.

Advertisement