Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Carrauntoohil

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Looking to climb Carrauntoohil this week for the first time, have good mountain experience.

As it is first time, would Devils Ladder be the best route to take as there seems to be enough out there about it and people say it is the arguably the easiest route.

In terms of coming down, would anyone reccommend coming down the same way or come down O'Shea's Gully for example?

Thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Hey guys I’ve been planning to do Carrauntoohil for a while now.

My plan is to do the Caher-Carrauntoohil and possibly extending to Beenkeragh depending on the weather and how I feel.

I was wondering if going up via Caher is easier compared to the Devil’s Ladder? I have heard the Devil’s ladder is a bit eroded so it could be tough at times but looking for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Jlayay wrote: »

My plan is to do the Caher-Carrauntoohil and possibly extending to Beenkeragh depending on the weather and how I feel.

I was wondering if going up via Caher is easier compared to the Devil’s Ladder? I have heard the Devil’s ladder is a bit eroded so it could be tough at times but looking for advice.

That's what we did last September (me, wife, 10 and 12 year old)
    Too many recent reports about the Devils Ladder being eroded and it wasn't in great shape anyway when I was last up it in 1989.
    The weather never lifted and we backtracked over Caher to the Hydro car park.
    The going is fine up Caher and along the ridge.
    There's a bit of exposure in places, but as long as the weather is sh1te, you'll only sense it, not see it :)

Looking to climb Carrauntoohil this week for the first time, have good mountain experience.

As it is first time, would Devils Ladder be the best route to take as there seems to be enough out there about it and people say it is the arguably the easiest route.

In terms of coming down, would anyone reccommend coming down the same way or come down O'Shea's Gully for example?

Thanks for any advice

If it's your first time on Carrauntoohil, I'd recommend coming back down the same way you went up, that way there are no surprises.
    In your case that would literally be, "The Devil you know, is better than the Gully you don't know".
    If all your party are comfortable in the mountains, then the Devils ladder should be fine.
    There's always a (small) risk on the Ladder of someone above, sending something falling and causing an injury.
    If the weather is bad, then there can be a bit of a torrent down the ladder and I'd go the Caher ridge in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I wouldn't like to come down O'Shea's, too step and slippy. I'd suggest the ZigZags (my preferred descent) or Heavenly Gates.

Devil's ladder would be the easiest to find, but it's a bit of a pain in the behind with slow groups and the risk of a rock landing on your head. My preferred route up if you're relatively experienced would be O'Sheas gully - it's not hard to find, but as it's your first time you might prefer a simpler route.

For anyone reading this who wants the "nicest" way up and down I'd always suggest the ZigZags, but it's hard for newbies to avoid the Devil's ladder as it is so obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Jlayay wrote: »

The advantage of going up and down the Devil's Ladders is that you cannot get lost and getting lost of there is a real possibility especially with low clouds. I'd suggest going up the ladder and down what most people refer to as the zig-zag. There is a mound of stones that mark where this starts but just be sure you know where they are before attempting this route otherwise you may get lost. If I was doing one of the alternative routes I'd definitely consider using a guide.

hmmm wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to come down O'Shea's, too step and slippy. I'd suggest the ZigZags (my preferred descent) or Heavenly Gates.

Devil's ladder would be the easiest to find, but it's a bit of a pain in the behind with slow groups and the risk of a rock landing on your head. My preferred route up if you're relatively experienced would be O'Sheas gully - it's not hard to find, but as it's your first time you might prefer a simpler route.

For anyone reading this who wants the "nicest" way up and down I'd always suggest the ZigZags, but it's hard for newbies to avoid the Devil's ladder as it is so obvious.

Thanks, how well marked is the zig zags route coming down?

Is O'Sheas Gully a more scenic ascend?

Is O'Sheas Gully a more scenic ascend?

O'Sheas Gully will definitely be less busy and Carrauntoohil and Beenkeeragh loom more above you.
    Search for O'Shea's Gully in Youtube and you'll get a fairly good idea of what it's like.
    eg.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejvzO7EnQYc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

When you come down instead of turning left and going down the DL you continue straight until you see a mound of rocks where you turn left and then 'zig-zag' down.

We missed the marker on our last descent and had to double back after asking some other climbers for help.

there is some good info here https://www.activeme.ie/guides/carrauntoohil-via-osheas-gully-and-zig-zags-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

In the interest of giving back to this community we climbed in perfect weather on Saturday. Up the ladder and back by the Zig zags.
    Here's a pic of the mound of stones at the top of the zig zags - the mound is only a foot or so in height
    https://i.imgur.com/tPTrXFs.jpg

• Advertisement

Climbed Carrauntoohil early last week, it was a decent day, cloud lifted as we got closer to the top but it was hazy when looking out.

As per the advice from here, we climbed up Devils Ladder & down by the zig zag.

Devils Ladder was fine for the most part, the last 15/20 metres seemed very eroded & definitely less stones/rocks to grab hold of.

Going down zig zags definitely adds to the length of the overall climb but I would have preferred coming down that than the Devils Ladder.

As the previous poster shared in their picture, the mound of stones marking were to turn off for the zig zags route is not particularly high.

I cant stand heights but I definitely found the first few minutes of the zig zag route (where you turn off at the stones) not very enjoyable, I was practically holding onto the mountain and not very comfortable, however as we came lower down I was fine.

I met someone else who said they dont like heights either but preferred coming down the Heavenly Gates route than the zig zag route.

Overall it was very enjoyable, everybody was very friendly and that Cronins Yard is a good set-up in terms of car park, picnic tables, toilets etc.

I will definitely climb it again, maybe try O'Sheas Gully up & Heavenly Gates down.

Though to be honest, I did not notice where the Heavenly Gates descent started.

Thanks to all on here for their great advice & tips.

I met someone else who said they dont like heights either but preferred coming down the Heavenly Gates route than the zig zag route.
    Well done, good writeup. Personally I think parts of the Heavenly Gates are much more exposed - I wouldn't bring people with a fear of heights down that direction but interested to hear other peoples experiences. Not so easy to find either if you're new to the mountain.

I cant stand heights but I definitely found the first few minutes of the zig zag route (where you turn off at the stones) not very enjoyable, I was practically holding onto the mountain and not very comfortable, however as we came lower down I was fine.
    I will definitely climb it again, maybe try O'Sheas Gully up & Heavenly Gates down.

The Ramp to the Heavenly Gates is definitely more gentle than the Zig Zags.

The drop from the Heavenly Gates to the rescue hut is much more exposed than any section of the Zig Zags.

The Zig Zags are the easiest descent to the Hag's Glen. If it unnerved you, I'd say think about the other side of the range, the Hydro Road or Bridia Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,933 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So there are pretty exposed parts of the zigzags then? I wasn't aware of that. I also have a fear of heights and I don't like drops / being exposed. That just leaves the Devil's ladder then going up and down?

The Zig Zags are the easiest descent to the Hag's Glen. If it unnerved you, I'd say think about the other side of the range, the Hydro Road or Bridia Valley.
    I've a fear of heights myself, and if someone found a bit of the ZigZags unnerving I'd say they won't like Caher.

For me the ZigZags are the easiest for those with a fear of heights. The bit at the very top you are looking down a big slope to your left, but it's a relatively good gentle path and it's more a mental problem than any physical danger - if you are really dizzy you can safely lean in to the side and take a rest. The devil's ladder is quite steep, and slippy, at the top - I wouldn't be happy going down there.

The worst bit of the ZigZags for me is just before it even starts, as the route narrows slightly as you climb up from the col at the Devil's ladder. There is a clear path leading around to the left which most people take on auto-pilot as it avoids a patch of bad muck, and you very suddenly find yourself on the edge of a cliff (remember to see this through the eyes of someone with a fear of heights :) ). You can avoid this path by simply going straight up.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

hmmm wrote: »
    Well done, good writeup. Personally I think parts of the Heavenly Gates are much more exposed - I wouldn't bring people with a fear of heights down that direction but interested to hear other peoples experiences. Not so easy to find either if you're new to the mountain.
    Yeah, I'd agree. Would advise anyone who hasn't done it before to try it first as an ascent route.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

unkel wrote: »
    So there are pretty exposed parts of the zigzags then? I wasn't aware of that. I also have a fear of heights and I don't like drops / being exposed. That just leaves the Devil's ladder then going up and down?
    Bridia Valley from the Cookie Monster Café (limited parking in a rough lay-by across the road) would be my thinking. But you'd want to be able to navigate or have a navigator with you as you won't have anyone else to follow!

Quackster wrote: »
    Bridia Valley from the Cookie Monster Café (limited parking in a rough lay-by across the road) would be my thinking. But you'd want to be able to navigate or have a navigator with you as you won't have anyone else to follow!

Or the hydro road. I guess via Caher is the only easy way for us with a fear of heights to go up Carrauntoohil?

Or the hydro road. I guess via Caher is the only easy way for us with a fear of heights to go up Carrauntoohil?
    I can only speak for myself, but Caher was far worse than the ZigZags - you've a cliff on one side, and a big steep slope on the other. A fine big path also of course, it's quite safe. I'd have no fear of the ZigZags at all, and if you were really nervous I'd suggest going up and down the ZigZags so you get a look at it & you're not worrying about it on the way back.

There's parts of the Caher track with a considerable steep slope even on the less scary side.
    So it does depend on your level of fear of heights.
    Best approach would be to go up in low cloud, what you can't see can't scare you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'd recommend the Zigzags Unkel. I found the Ladder open and eroded but the zigzags not too bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭embraer170

I did Carrauntoohil on Sunday with someone with a terrible fear of heights.

We went up the ladder and down the zigzags and it went fine on the whole. There must have been over a 1000 people on the mountain (Cronin's cark park packed) and the ladder still didn't feel too crowded.

Lots of people in t-shirts and shorts. I was well dressed with a few layers and still felt cold.

It was my second time doing a Hag's Glen route. I think I will try Caher the next time. I would also be very tempted to try the full Reeks walk one day.

Thanks a million for sharing. Still conflicting stories about down the zigzags and fear of heights. Are there any sheer drops at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Another vote for the zigzag here. I wouldnt say I've an actual fear of heights but I'm not the best when dealing with them and I had no issues at all coming down the zigzags after going up the ladder. There are no steep, sheer drops at all, it's all very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Your always on a path on the zigzags, or at least you should be!

A path wide enough to stand on with both feet together so easy to keep your balance.

As for sheer drops i would say no, its grass banks on either side, with one going down and one going up, at some points the drop is steeper than others but the path is so well worn its safe.

That said everyones fear of heights is different, ive been to the top of the hill with people who said they are terrified of heights and didnt mind it, and also at the end of the hags glen with people who wouldn't even attempt the Zigzags.

So i guess what i would say is dont let your fear of heights stop you from walking the hill, but if it becomes to much just turn back, because you maybe scared of heights but not find a hike on solid ground scary, and you might which is fine as well but the zigzags is probably the most used route where you dont need to use your hands at any stage of the climb so your elevation gain is more steady and balanced

My partner has a horrible fear of heights and her complaints about the day are about the exhaustion rather than the zigzags. She was also a bit uncomfortable on top of Carrauntoohil but hasn't said anything about the way down.

There is a bit of a drop for the first few minutes of the zigzags (with quite a narrow path) but I wouldn't call it a sheer drop.

As someone mentioned before, as you climb up to the zigzags (from the Devil's ladder), it helps if you keep a little bit to the right towards the peak of Cnoc na Toinne until you reach the mound of stones where the zigzags descent begins. One might instinctively go left to avoid mud but that leads you to a more exposed part.

I use both Komoot and Outdoor active for navigation and they can be quite helpful if you have any doubts.

The start of the zigzags showing the drop on the left.

Brilliant. I would have no problem with that myself. Can't wait to finally go up Carrauntoohil :-)

A brilliant day for hiking today. Did the Coomloughra Horseshoe for the first time. Quite a lot (I am probably not the fittest) but absolutely amazing all the way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement