Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sober for october

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

They should have called it Octsober...

(Only read the 1st page so maybe already mentioned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm saying this as someone who has, in the past and on separate occasions, stayed awake for three days straight on sessions, been on 8 different drugs at once and drank two bottles of vokda and 8 cans in the space of 6 hours:

What the **** are you on about? What planet do you live on? How has your life panned out in such a fashion that you have got to the stage where you can operate a computer and convert abstract thoughts to the written word, yet somehow be oblivious to the fact that drinking a bottle of wine every day is not normal or healthy behaviour?

What planet are you on judging the **** out of everyone else? A bottle of wine never killed anyone, it's not like I'm sitting at home injecting heroin into my eyeballs. No need for the dramatics. It's normal behaviour in my house, and I don't really give a rats ass about social norms outside my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I rarely drink at all nowadays so this one would be easy for me.

Was always more about the social aspect and having the craic with the lads for me, but with everyone settled and living all over the country thanks to the "good times" as well as being older myself, getting out is rare enough now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What planet are you on judging the **** out of everyone else? A bottle of wine never killed anyone, it's not like I'm sitting at home injecting heroin into my eyeballs. No need for the dramatics. It's normal behaviour in my house, and I don't really give a rats ass about social norms outside my house.

1 bottle of wine never killed anyone. 1 bottle every night will kill most people eventually. It's irrelevant what normal behavior in your house is and this isn't about social norms. That's way too much alcohol and you are doing yourself serious damage. Read up online about healthy levels of alcohol consumption, and the effects of drinking too much. Or talk to a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A bottle a night is very slowly and surely killing you. Just because you mightn't be blacking out doesn't mean it's not doing you any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

a 700ml bottle of wine @ 14% is 98ml of pure alcohol
    .... which in standard 4.3% irish beer would be 2.28L
    .....or just short of 7 long neck bottles

now, thats more than a little, and I'd not be unknown to have a tipple in the evening myself so far from the most judgemental person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's not about social norms etc. The problem with the aul liver is that it stays nice and quiet until it decides that it has had enough and by that time you can be in a lot of trouble and a bottle of wine a night WILL get you to that point sooner or later.

(I'm not preaching btw, I drink far too much myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

The amount of people on this thread who think drinking every day/evening - whatever the amount - is normal or 'OK' is bloody shocking.

It's really common for alcoholics to convince themselves that the amount the drink is totally normal and that everyone is doing it.

There is a serious amount of confirmation bias with it. A common scenario would be that a group get into rounds, one person is up for a drink every single round, but they don't notice that most people skip a round here and there because they are drinking slower. So if they had 10 pints that night, they are fully sure everyone else also had about 10 pints.

A similar thing happen with people who go out every single night of the weekend and get smashed. They convince themselves all of their mates are doing it. When in actual fact they probably aren't drinking with all the same people every night of the weekend. There may be one or two others who drink to the same level as they do, but they convince themselves its a lot more because they can always find a group of people to go for a drink with.
    well I woke up this morning free from bad breath, a sore head, basically being dehydrated and grumpy, lots of energy and I feel very smug, and will continue to do so until the end of October, the main problem with giving up the drink is other people attitudes, its like I have two heads, strange, as to me it is the other people who have the problem, they dont want to confront their own reasons as to why they drink. I have developed over night a very strong will power, must have been blown in by the wind!!

Well done, I hope you keep it up. You have definitely made a good first step and have a great attitude going into it. If your friends are giving you hassle don't be afraid to let them know you have a problem with the drink and that it was getting too much. Irish people can be very pushy when it comes to the drink, but once they know it's an actual problem for someone most have a tendency to be a lot more considerate.
    To be honest 1 bottle of wine seems like a sedate night. What's wrong with opening a bottle with dinner and finishing it off watching tv?

All your posts are very aggressive and defensive. If you can't have a discussion about how a quantity of alcohol might effect a persons health without getting aggressive and defensive it's a really bad sign. Especially when the effects of high alcohol consumption are well documented, it means you are remaining wilfully ignorant on the subject for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Gonna try Gay for May. I'll get back to you in April with my progress.

It's really common for alcoholics to convince themselves that the amount the drink is totally normal and that everyone is doing it.

There is a serious amount of confirmation bias with it. A common scenario would be that a group get into rounds, one person is up for a drink every single round, but they don't notice that most people skip a round here and there because they are drinking slower. So if they had 10 pints that night, they are fully sure everyone else also had about 10 pints.

A similar thing happen with people who go out every single night of the weekend and get smashed. They convince themselves all of their mates are doing it. When in actual fact they probably aren't drinking with all the same people every night of the weekend. There may be one or two others who drink to the same level as they do, but they convince themselves its a lot more because they can always find a group of people to go for a drink with.

Well done, I hope you keep it up. You have definitely made a good first step and have a great attitude going into it. If your friends are giving you hassle don't be afraid to let them know you have a problem with the drink and that it was getting too much. Irish people can be very pushy when it comes to the drink, but once they know it's an actual problem for someone most have a tendency to be a lot more considerate.

All your posts are very aggressive and defensive. If you can't have a discussion about how a quantity of alcohol might effect a persons health without getting aggressive and defensive it's a really bad sign. Especially when the effects of high alcohol consumption are well documented, it means you are remaining wilfully ignorant on the subject for some reason.

Can you please report my aggressive posts.

• Advertisement

Can you please report my aggressive posts.

Posting in an aggressive tone is not against the rules as far as I'm aware. I don't think your posts have offended anyone, so reporting would be a strange thing to do, they are just oddly defensive.

Posting in an aggressive tone is not against the rules as far as I'm aware. I don't think your posts have offended anyone, so reporting would be a strange thing to do, they are just oddly defensive.

As far as I'm aware if my posts are aggressive then they are against the rules. Attack the posts, not me, thanks.

As far as I'm aware if my posts are aggressive then they are against the rules. Attack the posts, not me, thanks.

Why do you say you are being attacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭golondrinas

One bottle of wine over an evening isnt that much.
    I dont drink wine often,but when I do it takes three bottles to get the desired effect.

I'm afraid the name suits you sir. Thee bottles of wine? Then again it's not exactly 2 bottles of grey goose. 21 units per week not ring a bell?
    You are probably in your twenties. I could drink like that one time. Buried my friend a few months ago- 48 years young. . Didn't have to die!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Regardless of whether someone who drinks a bottle of wine every night thinks they're addicted or not, surely you know full well that what you're doing is destroying your liver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

It's funny to me how every time someone makes a post about giving up alcohol, like the OP did, the AH attention-seekers try to make the discussion all about them and their drinking habits rather than the OP's attempt to try a different lifestyle.

I honestly don't think everybody's liver is the same. I don't believe there's a blanket rule. Just like with drugs. Some people will snort coke for years with no problems, someone else's nose might do a Michael Jackson on it after a few lines.

For me personally, a bottle of wine has no effect on me. I'm not drunk, I'm not even tipsy. My oh couldn't even tell if I drank a bottle or not.

To me, I equate a bottle of wine to a bar of chocolate. Alright in moderation. And to me, and a lot of people, 1 bottle is moderation.

In some countries drinking wine is actually encouraged. If a person feels 1 bottle is too much for them and its a problem then clearly that's understandable and they should give it up, but those of us who don't have a problem shouldn't be brow beaten and heckled into agreeing just because others think its a one rule for all situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I honestly don't think everybody's liver is the same. I don't believe there's a blanket rule. Just like with drugs. Some people will snort coke for years with no problems, someone else's nose might do a Michael Jackson on it after a few lines.

For me personally, a bottle of wine has no effect on me. I'm not drunk, I'm not even tipsy. My oh couldn't even tell if I drank a bottle or not.

To me, I equate a bottle of wine to a bar of chocolate. Alright in moderation. And to me, and a lot of people, 1 bottle is moderation.

In some countries drinking wine is actually encouraged. If a person feels 1 bottle is too much for them and its a problem then clearly that's understandable and they should give it up, but those of us who don't have a problem shouldn't be brow beaten and heckled into agreeing just because others think its a one rule for all situation

Having such a huge alcohol tolerance is a sign of alcoholism..

Your liver has to process it all, just like your liver has to process all of anything any of us drink. It might not be affecting your liver now because you're young. See if it's still all good in 10 years.

That said, I doubt you'll listen. If you KNOW people are going to browbeat you, why do you post up about how much and how often you drink? It's not the first time you've had this reaction.

I struggle to see why you happily post about the ridiculous amount you drink, if you're not happy with the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Look, there's enough people chiming in at you without me joining but the above part is simply ridiculous. The cold and hard fact is that drinking a bottle of wine every night is very bad for your health and is a sign that you're probably a bit dependent on alcohol at this stage. I'm not saying that you're a full-blown alcoholic, but knocking back a bottle a night is certainly a harmful habit and is in no way akin to eating a Twix after dinner.

There are a myriad of studies and medical evidence to back that up, whether you choose to ignore them or not is your own choice; but they aren't just crazy conspiracies aimed at curtailing your fun.

The facts are the facts, drinking a bottle of wine every day is bloody bad for you.

Having such a huge alcohol tolerance is a sign of alcoholism..

Your liver has to process it all, just like your liver has to process all of anything any of us drink. It might not be affecting your liver now because you're young. See if it's still all good in 10 years.

That said, I doubt you'll listen. If you KNOW people are going to browbeat you, why do you post up about how much and how often you drink? It's not the first time you've had this reaction.

I struggle to see why you happily post about the ridiculous amount you drink, if you're not happy with the responses.

I posted in reply to the OP getting a hard time for saying he drank a bottle a night. It's a discussion forum. People have different opinions. Not everybody has a problem, and although the OP sees it as a problem (and is trying to quit) it's not a problem for everybody, so I honestly don't get the whole jumping on the bandwagon mentality. I have every right to post on thread greenscreen, just as you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

well what are we on now for sober for october, for me I am on day 3, and yes I am an alcoholic. Like a lot of people out there, I know I am an alcoholic, you know you are an alcoholic, but saying I dont want a drink is like a fat over weight 25 stone woman saying I dont want another biscuit. Maybe I will sack sober for October and just wait for gay in may !!!! Maybe its really easy to say, no thank you not today, just a glass of water for me old chap, I'm giving the old wine and beer a miss, some people are just so thick , or stupid I dont know which, so if you drink one glass of wine or half a beer per day, you have a drink problem,not my words, I would happily carry on drinking my one bottle of wine per night and say I don't have a drink problem, but like most addicts it is the denial that gets you, and the people around you who will always say, go on, go on have another biscuit. !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭golondrinas

I'm afraid the name suits you sir. Thee bottles of wine? Then again it's not exactly 2 bottles of grey goose. 21 units per week not ring a bell?
    You are probably in your twenties. I could drink like that one time. Buried my friend a few months ago- 48 years young. . Didn't have to die!!
    Terribly sorry- I missed the salient point_ and hereby lies the rub!! People who start drinking heavily walk on air for a period (depends on your brain).Then you find yourself drinking more and more trying to get the same effect .Ring a bell??

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

ya ding dong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

1 bottle a night isn't moderation. The alcoholic label I couldn't care about but if you think 1 bottle of wine every single night is safe from a health perspective then I think you're a bit on the mistaken side and possibly should do a bit of reading on the topic.

You're right in that everyone is different but just like cigarettes some people smoke their entire life and live till old age whilst some get cancer and die young. Unlike smoking though where you develop shortness of breath and coughing etc ie have symptoms of bodily damage the liver will keep on working till the damage becomes too much and then you get sick AND importantly the damage can be real bad by the time symptoms start to show. Equating a bottle of wine to eating chocolate is grossly incorrect.

By the by, considering a bottle of wine a night isn't a cheap habit and in your own words doesn't even make you tipsy have you considered why you have a bottle every night of the week?

The guidelines of 21 units a week for men and 14 units a week for women are just guidelines and some will have better tolerances than others. Differences in tolerance are mostly linked to weight, but there are other factors too. Depending on the bottle of wine it's somewhere between 8 and 10 units of alcohol. So drinking 1 bottle a night is going to be somewhere between 56 and 70 units of alcohol per week. That's about 4 times the maximum recommendation, tolerances don't vary that much. It doesn't matter how you feel after that many units of alcohol, even if you are 7ft tall and weigh 300lbs you are very likely still doing harm to you liver.

Also people aren't taking a harsh tone with you because you drink a lot, it's much more likely that it's because you came into a thread where the OP clearly has a problem with alcohol that he is trying to address and in an obvious effort to convince yourself you don't have a problem you try to convince him he doesn't have one either. That is both selfish and deluded.

You'd consider yourself an alcoholic because you drink a bottle of wine per night OP? Just the wine or are you drinking more? 1 bottle doesn't seem excessive at all

I was curious if the OP was considering himself an alcoholic because he was drinking 1 bottle of wine or if he was starting on the wine and drinking more.
    Obviously I'm not going to convince anyone if they have a problem or not, as I don't know them, and nobody knows better than the person themselves.
    I was just curious to see if it stopped at the wine or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

The problem is that more often than not the people themselves don't know! It's the people around them who see the effect the alcohol has on them who know. Denial is a major factor in alcoholism but an alcoholic would deny that.

You're not being attacked Lexie, your attitude to your drinking is being questioned. I agree with others, you're being very defensive and justifying what is well documented to be very dangerous, and all the wisdom on the subject says that is a warning sign in itself.

You don't have to heed the signs, but you don't have to shoot the messenger either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

conorh91 wrote: »
    Thank God I wasn't the only one who thought that.

I'd happily chop ice cubes with a rusty knife after a bottle. It's hardly going to get you beyond tipsy. I'm not proud of it, but I don't consider a bottle of wine 'alcoholism'.

Maybe not every evening, but most evenings there would be about 3 bottles of wine drank between 3 people, in my house.

All that means is that you've built up a tolerance to it, not a good thing and you won't sustain that for long, you're doing damage you can't see yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jesus. I don't know how old you are but id guess mid thirties? If you won't listen to us then at least go talk to a doctor or read a bit about it online. You may think your're grand now, but when you hit your 50s/60s the odds are that anyone drinking that much will start to develop serious health issues because of their drinking.

Advertisement