Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sober for october

Options
  • 05-10-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Well after nearly 30 years of drinking wine and beer, not together of course, I decided to try and stay sober for the month of october. There is a really big campain on this in the UK shame its not here too. Anyway just sort of got fed up waking up with the usual sore head, groggy feeling, bad breath, this is every day by the way not just now and again, do I have a drink problem, yeah sure I do, I drink one full bottle of wine every evening, but how many other people do just the same thing, a lot I would suspect. So every bottle of wine costs me €10 so that is some amount of money to save in a month, and I hope too that after october I can stay sober for the rest of my god damm misrable life. Now I really just could not stand up at an alholohics anonymous meeting and say my name is xxxx and I am an alhoholic. so its cold turkey for me from now on. If any one has any good worth while tips let me know. Strange thing is I gave up smoking about 15 years ago, it was difficult but not as difficult as giving up drinking. There is just no help in this country for people like me, its just crazy, wish me luck

Comments

Never was a huge drinker and have often given it up for long periods. Headed out for a few pints with friends a couple of weeks back and spent the entire time rather bored and missing my girlfriend who was at home. Had three pints and then decided to head home and haven't had an alcoholic beverage since. Don't miss it at all and think ill just stay off it for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I saw this "campaign" too and it struck me that it is just more random nonsense from lazy internet trolls who have very little to do with their time, I mean come on, just cos it slightly rhymes they make it a "thing"? What about "Dismember in December" or "Penury in January" ?

I for one will continue my fight against sobriety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've gone the whole of October so far without a drink, someone give me a clap on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

Yes a lot has to be said of a life with out beer on board, both of my parents where very heavy drinkers, in fact both died from drink related illness. Brother also died too from drink related problems, so I am glad I have seen the light, only taken me 30 years,

I think the point of sober for octrober is you save money in octrober by not drinking, then buy your xmas presents, and then get totaly wasted in december and give jan another go at staying sober, most people do not need a reason for a drink, I for one need a reason to stay sober, if this works for me then great,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

catallus wrote: »
    "Penury in January" ?

I think I do this every Janurary.

€10 spent every nights, on wine, so if I save all that money for october I will give it to charity, So its sober for october for me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't mean any disrespect, but I find these 'campaigns' to be a bit insulting.

Look, if you don't want to drink - don't drink. It's *exactly* that easy. And if it isn't easy, well, that's a good indication you should stop drinking.

But for the love of God, if you think drinking is hurting you - stop. You are an adult, a rational, thinking, feeling, adult. Make your own choices.

Don't wait for some campaign to come along and remind you that it might be a good idea to lay off the semi-poison you consume because you enjoy the effects, that is well known to be addictive and carry a long list of health concerns,

Also, if you do decide not to drink. That's great. But you know what, nobody cares. Nobody cares if I decide to have a beer tonight, and nobody cares if I decide not to have a beer tonight. For some reason, everyone that gives up alcohol seems to want to tell the world about it. Just do whatever makes sense for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Is taking a month off drink really meant to be that difficult? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Icaras wrote: »
    I think I do this every Janurary.

Well lah-dee-dah, thinly veiled "I'm only broke one month of the year" comment!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

One bottle of wine over an evening isnt that much.
    I dont drink wine often,but when I do it takes three bottles to get the desired effect.

I've decided that one drink doesn't count as drinking. So I've given up drinking, but not drink.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I dont drink wine often,but when I do it takes three bottles to get the desired effect.

Apt username :pac: . In all fairness a bottle of wine at 12% alcohol is a fair bit of drink to have every day of the week. I do drink over the "guidelines" don't get me wrong but I'd consider a full bottle of wine to equal 5/6 cans or pints of beer. Which I would consider a lot to be drinking everynight.
    Weekend is fair game, put back a fair few last night :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Well after nearly 30 years of drinking wine and beer, not together of course, I decided to try and stay sober for the month of october. There is a really big campain on this in the UK shame its not here too. Anyway just sort of got fed up waking up with the usual sore head, groggy feeling, bad breath, this is every day by the way not just now and again, do I have a drink problem, yeah sure I do, I drink one full bottle of wine every evening, but how many other people do just the same thing, a lot I would suspect. So every bottle of wine costs me €10 so that is some amount of money to save in a month, and I hope too that after october I can stay sober for the rest of my god damm misrable life. Now I really just could not stand up at an alholohics anonymous meeting and say my name is xxxx and I am an alhoholic. so its cold turkey for me from now on. If any one has any good worth while tips let me know. Strange thing is I gave up smoking about 15 years ago, it was difficult but not as difficult as giving up drinking. There is just no help in this country for people like me, its just crazy, wish me luck

There is help out there like AA meetings and such. Also theres a forum on boards which you might find helpful http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1015

Good luck, I'd say it isn't easy. I'm glad I don't have a drinking problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Fair play to anyone who is doing this. But it's not for me since the NHL season starts this month.

catallus wrote: »
    I saw this "campaign" too and it struck me that it is just more random nonsense from lazy internet trolls who have very little to do with their time, I mean come on, just cos it slightly rhymes they make it a "thing"? What about "Dismember in December" or "Penury in January" ?

I for one will continue my fight against sobriety.
    Gay for May.
    Kuntz for months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

brest of duck
    €10 spent every nights, on wine, so if I save all that money for october I will give it to charity, So its sober for october for me,

fair played to ya, i actually had an idea to nominate myself and all my drinker friends to donate €50 to st Vincent de Paul to not drink a drop the month of Dec
    Is taking a month off drink really meant to be that difficult? :confused:

try doing it for the WHOLE month of December and come back to let us know how easy it was ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Gay for May.
    Kuntz for months.

Moon for June.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Cry for July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I have been doing it since August when I fell and split my head. This was after wanting a sign to make me stop - pretty harsh sign all the same! Afraid to even sniff alcohol since��. I miss it at times but I did manage a night out for dinner without it which was my first big test. I passed so I think I will keep going with the sobriety. My skin looks a bit better too so that's a bonus��. Always had a love hate relationship with alcohol, I love it but hate the friggin hangovers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

gash out February.

On a bender for September.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Anyone wanna join me for Ossified October ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Gay in May was a campaign that didn't really take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Despite people bending over backwards to take part?

Perhaps 'marijuana for March' or 'acid for August' may have better luck.

Cameras at the ready for all the selfies*

*This is not a Garda sting operation, honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Nail a transgender for December has the pc right-on-ness to work, I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Fair play OP, giving it up is a good thing, not just for your pocket, its hard on your body having that much drink all the time and the effects will catch up with you eventually. You should try and take up a hobby or sport maybe to give you something to fill the free time.

Ignore the AH style posts, its grand and all for people to be getting defensive about there usual weekend drinking and all, but for some people drink is a serious problem and will have long term implications for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

fair play OP good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well you didn't get your name by chance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was happy the whole month long.

I love Gay in May.

Advertisement