Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sober for october

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

One bottle of wine over an evening isnt that much.

Yes it is, wine is potent. Three bottles of wine in an evening would require me to get my stomach pumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Well you didn't get your name by chance!
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I was happy the whole month long.

I love Gay in May.
    Good for you Ananallboy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Well done OP. I'm not going to use heroin for October.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

well gay in may, I have had such a laugh reading some of these posts, basically if you drink two glasses of wine a night or one beer you are deemed a piss head, not my words, or my thoughts, one bottle of wine works out at 14 units the guidelines are 14 units a week not a day, so that makes me an out and out piss head simple, at the end of October I will be richer and healthier, So here go's sober for October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Best of luck, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I was sober for the whole of October, until last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

The amount of people on this thread who think drinking every day/evening - whatever the amount - is normal or 'OK' is bloody shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

UCDVet wrote: »
    I don't mean any disrespect, but I find these 'campaigns' to be a bit insulting.

Here's a vote in favour of campaigns. There may not be much logic behind some of them, but often all it takes for some people to win a personal battle is a tiny push from the right direction.

Fifteen years ago I gave up smoking after many failed attempts. What started me was a thought out of the blue one morning challenging myself to do without cigarettes for that day. Haven't had one in my hand since.
    Today I am two weeks into a diet, a record for me though far from being confident it will last. What started me on that was when a seam on my 44in trousers burst.

Haven't drank since becoming a Pioneer forty years ago.

well sunhill good luck with the diet, the point for me in giving up fags way back about 15 years ago is that I just dident like it having a control over me, drink is the same, it has a control over me I no longer want, I want my life back, I want my health back, I no long want to be in denial, the irish and the english have this perception that its ok to have a few drinks, problem is what is a few drinks, one bottle of something or 10 pints, tomorrow morning I will wake up with a clear head and an extra tenner in my purse, yep thats right I am nearly 50 years young female piss head, well no more, onwards and up wards. its gonna be tough but I know I can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If it encourages some people not to drink who would otherwise have drank then why not. It's a country with a serious problem (like ours) and it's hardly going to hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I usually do drunk december every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I find that getting into exercising helps if you want to stay off the drink. Something like training for a 10k run or getting into cycling even is a great way to stay motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

well sunhill good luck with the diet, the point for me in giving up fags way back about 15 years ago is that I just dident like it having a control over me, drink is the same, it has a control over me I no longer want, I want my life back, I want my health back, I no long want to be in denial, the irish and the english have this perception that its ok to have a few drinks, problem is what is a few drinks, one bottle of something or 10 pints, tomorrow morning I will wake up with a clear head and an extra tenner in my purse, yep thats right I am nearly 50 years young female piss head, well no more, onwards and up wards. its gonna be tough but I know I can do it.

I know you don't want to hear this but I'd say you need to get help in some shape or form. I don't think giving up for a month is really enough.

Tbh, I can see how it can happen. I'd have a smallish glass of wine everyday with my dinner (but don't bringe drink anymore) and I'm sometimes tempted to have more. Perhaps even the one glass is too much but I like it. You could easily knock back a bottle without noticing although you must get ferocious hangovers?

Perhaps you'll see how good you feel after the month and try to take steps to reduce your consumption long-term. Good luck with it anyway, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

By my reckonings, I've not had a drink since about May. Not intentionally or anything, just haven't had a want for one during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Is taking a month off drink really meant to be that difficult? :confused:

In a country where most occasions to do with relaxation have alcohol included in them. Then yes it is very hard at times. Just like a diet or sticking to a gym routine these things take time to eliminate. I'm sorry, I just hate that attitude. How is it not hard to give up something which in a country that is so ritualistic about drinking. Don't belittle lifestyle changes even if they're only for a month. A month can be a long time when you are literally being texted and hunted down to drink by friends. I mean you don't get that with chocolate or sweets. They don't text you saying "howya, couple of bars?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I think the point of sober for octrober is you save money in octrober by not drinking, then buy your xmas presents, and then get totaly wasted in december and give jan another go at staying sober, most people do not need a reason for a drink, I for one need a reason to stay sober, if this works for me then great,

Wait, so you're supposed to stop drinking so that other people can have presents?

F*ck that.

I'll have a Cuba Libra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Have been dry for the last month myself and it's fairly worrying how big an achievement it seems to be to other people.

Have been dry for the last month myself and it's fairly worrying how big an achievement it seems to be to other people.

I always find it shocking just how much effort it takes done friends not to drink. I give it up every now and again and have go w years with out so much as a sip of beer yet have friends whom would struggle to go a week without alcohol. One friend felt proud because he didn't drink last Saturday night. He was in the pub Sunday making up for it

well I woke up this morning free from bad breath, a sore head, basically being dehydrated and grumpy, lots of energy and I feel very smug, and will continue to do so until the end of October, the main problem with giving up the drink is other people attitudes, its like I have two heads, strange, as to me it is the other people who have the problem, they dont want to confront their own reasons as to why they drink. I have developed over night a very strong will power, must have been blown in by the wind!!

Is taking a month off drink really meant to be that difficult? :confused:

I couldn't do it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Was as drunk as I've been in quite a while on Saturday night.

Said I'd stay off alcohol for a few days at least, but just finished a can a few minutes ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

November is the 'traditional' month to give up booze, but I suppose the movemeber crowd have that one sewn up. Soon we won't have a campaign free month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

well I woke up this morning free from bad breath, a sore head, basically being dehydrated and grumpy, lots of energy and I feel very smug, and will continue to do so until the end of October, the main problem with giving up the drink is other people attitudes, its like I have two heads, strange, as to me it is the other people who have the problem, they dont want to confront their own reasons as to why they drink. I have developed over night a very strong will power, must have been blown in by the wind!!

I'm going with the late great Dean Martin's sentement; 'I'd hate to be a tee-toataler, imagine waking up in the morning and knowing that's as good as your'e gonna feel all day!'
    :D

It's hard enough to not drink, socially I mean. I was out Saturday night and while my friends are grand, and wouldn't at all be pushing you to have a drink, I still had to explain to each of them why I wasn't drinking. I guess that will get easier in time, and just become the norm if I continue with it. I didn't need a drink, I only went out to see a band I like play, I danced my ass off and woke up fresh as a daisy yesterday and ran 10 miles. I do like a beer or a glass of wine though, I'll never be tee total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Why does someone who drinks necessarily have a problem? Can wanting a drink count as a reason for drinking or does there have to be some complex reason? I have strong will power too, strong enough that I know I can have a drink or two and be able to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

One bottle of wine a night made you feel that way?
    It might be worth giving up altogether or cutting down to once a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

OP I mean this in the best will in the world, but that's the sort of initial over-confident smugness that will land you an awful kick up the hole when the novelty wears off.

Honestly, don't mind what other people are drinking or doing, you're doing this for yourself. Other people aren't your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Giving up drink for a month would only be an issue for an alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

Never was a huge drinker and have often given it up for long periods. Headed out for a few pints with friends a couple of weeks back and spent the entire time rather bored and missing my girlfriend who was at home. Had three pints and then decided to head home and haven't had an alcoholic beverage since. Don't miss it at all and think ill just stay off it for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Are you going Gay for May to support same-sex relationships? If not, you're a homophobe.

Advertisement