Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sober for october

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Cormac... wrote: »
    Are you going Gay for May to support same-sex relationships? If not, you're a homophobe.

Full on?
    Or just a lot of hand & mouth stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Try drinking non-alcoholic beer as a starting point to wean you off the addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

moxin wrote: »
    Try drinking non-alcoholic beer as a starting point to wean you off the addiction.

Hey buddy it's Sober October not Punish Your Taste Buds March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Hey buddy it's Sober October not Punish Your Taste Buds March.

:eek: That doesn't rhyme!

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    :eek: That doesn't rhyme!

I know. The bastards couldn't even give us that one thing.

March is just a misery now. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

March will make you parch ;) (blame Paddys day :))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've been sober for 25 years this month. I've had the odd sip of wine/champagne at weddings etc, but I haven't been drunk since I was about 13.

So I think I've got this Sober October thing beat. Do I get an award?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

So I think I've got this Sober October thing beat. Do I get an award?
    A limited-edition set of rosary beads signed by Pope Francis and a fine leather-bound album for your stamp collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

€10 spent every nights, on wine, so if I save all that money for october I will give it to charity, So its sober for october for me,

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

moxin wrote: »

I'd recommend 'Erdinger' German non-alcoholic Bavarian Weissbier, available in Tesco. I used to like beer and drank a good share of it, though that was 40 years ago and my memories might be unreliable, but I find that this 0% alcohol brew has a better body and taste than I recall real beer used to have. There is another Indian one which isn't too bad but everything else alcohol-free that I have tried is utterly horrible.

I don't drink beer very often, but on a hot day or with a pizza it seems like nectar to me. Though, as I say, I might be no great judge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You'd consider yourself an alcoholic because you drink a bottle of wine per night OP? Just the wine or are you drinking more? 1 bottle doesn't seem excessive at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You'd consider yourself an alcoholic because you drink a bottle of wine per night OP? Just the wine or are you drinking more? 1 bottle doesn't seem excessive at all

You don't think 1 person drinking a bottle of wine every night of the week is excessive?

I hope for your sake you're joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Can we just have a reality check here?? A bottle of wine equals the weekly recommended allowance. The OP drinks that every night. Seven times the recommended weekly allowance doesn't seem "excessive at all" to you?!

MadYaker wrote: »
    You don't think 1 person drinking a bottle of wine every night of the week is excessive?

I hope for your sake you're joking.

To be honest 1 bottle of wine seems like a sedate night. What's wrong with opening a bottle with dinner and finishing it off watching tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

To be honest 1 bottle of wine seems like a sedate night. What's wrong with opening a bottle with dinner and finishing it off watching tv?

Ask your liver

Nothing, if you do it once a week. If you're doing every night by definition you have a drinking problem and are doing yourself serious damage.

I still half think you're taking the piss?

Nothing, if you do it once a week. If you're doing every night by definition you have a drinking problem and are doing yourself serious damage.

I still half think you're taking the piss?

Meh

As long as its not affecting the ops health what about it. I find people on the Internet are very fast to throw around "alcoholic".

If she's drinking a whole bottle a night to herself then it is definitely affecting her health.

I'm not some tee-totaller, I'm in my early twenties and in college and I probably drink more than I should and so do most of my friends, but a whole bottle a night is alcoholism plain and simple.

Go to a GP and tell him/her you're drinking a bottle of wine every night and see what they say to you. You might be in for a shock.

If she's drinking a whole bottle a night to herself then it is definitely affecting her health.

I'm not some tee-totaller, I'm in my early twenties and in college and I probably drink more than I should and so do most of my friends, but a whole bottle a night is alcoholism plain and simple.

Go to a GP and tell him you're drinking a bottle of wine every night and see what they say to you. You might be in for a shock.

None of the GPs business until its having adverse effects on my health

By the time you start seeing the effects on your health it will be too late to do anything about it.

• Advertisement

As long as its not affecting the ops health what about it.

If you think someone can drink that much alcohol every night for an extended period of time and it NOT affect their health then you're just being naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

A bottle of wine everyday day is very bad for your health whether you want to believe it or not. You have a distorted perception of drinking, which isn't uncommon in Ireland to be fair.
    Anyone drinking that much has a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Thank God I wasn't the only one who thought that.

I'd happily chop ice cubes with a rusty knife after a bottle. It's hardly going to get you beyond tipsy. I'm not proud of it, but I don't consider a bottle of wine 'alcoholism'.

Maybe not every evening, but most evenings there would be about 3 bottles of wine drank between 3 people, in my house.

Whether or not you consider it alcoholism or not is irrelevant really. The fact is that a bottle a night every night is doing your body serious damage and anyone drinking that much has drinking problem and should cut down. I'm not trying to tell people how to live their lives but seriously, go to a doctor and tell them that and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

It's not really about addiction, simply that the body isnt cut out for that intake over a long period of time. If you're young and don't continue that way it'll probably not do too much damage but keeping that up across the years will risk your chances of getting cancer, heart attacks and will drive a road through your liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Fairplay to you OP! I think you should definitely aim to quit altogether, not just for October.

To make it easier on yourself, find something else to fill your evenings with. Idle hands are the Devil's Workshop! If you need ideas on what to do instead of drinking wine, check out this article (specifically the third section "The 16 Daily Rituals"). Whatever 'daily rituals' you choose, make sure exercise is one of them. It makes you feel so much better.

Best of luck! And remember: If you fail, don't beat yourself up. Just accept it, move on, and start again!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Good luck to you OP. Making changes in parts of our lives that are deeply ingrained and routine is difficult, but stick with it. Rooting for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Go to a GP and tell him/her you're drinking a bottle of wine every night and see what they say to you. You might be in for a shock.

Damn right, E50 for a 3 minute talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Meh

As long as its not affecting the ops health what about it. I find people on the Internet are very fast to throw around "alcoholic".
    I'm saying this as someone who has, in the past and on separate occasions, stayed awake for three days straight on sessions, been on 8 different drugs at once and drank two bottles of vokda and 8 cans in the space of 6 hours:

What the **** are you on about? What planet do you live on? How has your life panned out in such a fashion that you have got to the stage where you can operate a computer and convert abstract thoughts to the written word, yet somehow be oblivious to the fact that drinking a bottle of wine every day is not normal or healthy behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My latest struggle is trying to break my habit of drinking when at home in Ireland. I don't drink when living over here but once I get home. All bets are off....it's an unhealthy association to have with the place, I reckon...

Advertisement