Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards Unified LightHeavy/Crusierweight Championship Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Chris Herra-Chico definitely, always stood out in WCW before he jumped ship, I was an avid nitro fan at the time and he was a highlight

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A pre-Y2J goes over despite a late comeback from the always loved Funaki.

In alphabetical order, here is the list of superstars that make it to the last 16;

Chris Candido
    Ultimo Dragon
    Chavo Guerrero
    Eddie Guerrero
    Matt Hardy
    Gregory Helms
    Chris Jericho
    Billy Kidman
    Jushin Liger
    Dean Malenko
    Taka Michinoku
    Rey Misterio, Jr
    Jamie Noble
    Brian Pillman
    Syxx/X-Pac
    Essa Rios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

For some reason my first thought on reading that list was sh*t I should really go back and watch a lot more WCW.

orestes wrote: »
    For some reason my first thought on reading that list was sh*t I should really go back and watch a lot more WCW.

Looking at that list I wondered how WCW fcuked up so bad, only 3 named were not in WCW at some stage (hardy,rios, noble,all though noble may been in power plant)

Noble was there as part of the Jung Dragons with Jimmy Yang and Kaz Hiyashi. Think he was called Jamie-San at the time, basically a Japanese guy if you can believe that. He'd wear a lone ranger style mask to hide the fact he wasn't Asian. He was in a decent feud with 3 count too. He went by Jamie Knoble after the split from the dragons.

• Advertisement

As we are in Round 3 and have a bit of a following, I'll up the win quota to four votes. So first man to attain that goes into the quarter final. If you would like to leave a line or two as to why you're voting for a guy (or against a guy), that would be more than welcome.

We kick the round with two bonifide global stars who brought so much innovation to crowds, not just in North America but, the world over.

Ultimo Dragon

The Cruiserweight belt is in there somewhere...

10titles.jpg

vs

Jushin Liger

Thunderstruck

08_Nitro_12061999_0407.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ultimo for me. Enjoyed watching him more. Plus... Props for the Asai Moonsault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I will go with Jushin Liger because he held the belt longer than Ultimo Dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ultimo Dragon.

His WWE run was ****e, but he's an absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ultimo Dragon. One of the biggest balls dropped by WWE. He was a great talent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ultimo Dragon for me too. As already said WWE messed up big time with him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Ah well, it's moot now but I would have voted for Liger.

The Last Dragon survives to fight another day as his compatriot books his flight home to The Land of the Rising Sun. Next up we have two WCW boys who made their way to the WWE.

Billy Kidman

WCW's Shooting Star

billykidman-1386765410.jpg

vs

Chris Jericho

ARMBAR!!!

Jericho.png

Jericho obviously had the better career but I associate Kidman more with the LHW/CW division and he had countless great matches.

Kidman as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I vote Kidman. In terms of Cruiserweight work I much prefer his to Jericho's.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yep, Kidman for me too. Far more synonymous with the cruiserweight belt.

Just watched Kidman v Tajiri at Backlash 02, good little match but I would put Jericho before him. Kidman although good wasn't that of an amazing cruiser weight and was bland. From watching WCW as a kid I like Kidman but Jericho always stood out.

Jericho is eliminated while only registering one vote. His overall success, as stated, is probably more to do with this though. I enjoyed delusional Jericho myself. Interesting match up between, to my knowledge, two guys who never met in the ring.

Brian Pillman

Flyin' Brian

Brian.png

vs

Matt Hardy

Version 1.0

matthardy001ag9.jpg

Matt Hardy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

I'll go with Matt Hardy too.

Matt for me too. Cruiserweight run with Shannon Moore as his lackey was the best thing he's done in his career.

V-1 Matt Hardy best run of his career where he actually stood out more so then his brother, the next time that happened for him was when he returned attacking Edge shouting ROH..... Was not familiar with Pillmans cruiser weight work(he also reminds me of Shane Douglas in the above photo and I hate Shane Douglas)

Jaysus, Pillman shouldn't be steamrollered here.

He was a great cruiserweight. He's more known for his 'Loose Cannon' persona but before that he was a real innovator in the ring.

The votes are coming in fast and in this case, they're coming in for Hardy. Pillman exits the competition as V1 rolls on. We have an international Light Heavyweight match up now between two guys who fought each other at Wrestlemania 14 for the title.

Taka Michinoku

WWF's Inaugural Light Heavyweight Champion

19_MiscStudio012-1

vs

Essa Rios

Red Alert

tumblr_n9hahruOBG1rkf4k0o1_500.jpg

Here's a bonus match (highlights) from their Light Heavyweight Tournament Semi-Final in December 1997.

TAKA

Yup, Taka for me too. Essa Rios has had a good run but it will more than likely end here.

Taka, though I remember him the most for the match with HHH.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

I'm going with Taka too.

• Advertisement

Taka flies into the next round without too much trouble. He could well face a stiffer contest in the quarters though. I think another hiding is on the cards coming up...

Chavo Guerrero

Ooooooh Chavo!

chavo_guerrero.gif

vs

Chris Candido

Hard Knox: No Gimmicks Needed

gfrwg.jpg

Advertisement