Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards Unified LightHeavy/Crusierweight Championship Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Griever931 wrote: »
    IIRC weren't Mysterio and Kidman the last cruiserweight tag champs in WCW? I will go with Mysterio, although I like Billy Kidman I would prefer Mysterio overall.

Yes, as short lived as those belts were. Pretty good team IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Although I don't like Rey, state of your clothes mate!

Rey to go through.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

As much as it pains me to say it, Rey wins here. Better all rounder than Kidman...although I prefer Kidman.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Who's Billy Kiddin', Rey was just too much of a big little man not to book his place in the final. A great showing from him though. Who is gonna join the man from the 619 though?

Dean Malenko

The Man of 1000 Holds

DeanMalenko.jpg

vs

Matt Hardy

Version 1.0

matthardy001ag9.jpg

tumblr_nbeyle1xOm1sh24xvo1_400.gif

matt-hardy-moonsault-o.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Oh tricky one . Malenko was the better wrestler no doubt but i loved Hardys run as Matt V.1 so ill go for Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Gotta go with Malenko. Brilliant technical wrestler and he's the first person I'd associate the LHW title with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Matts had a good run but Malenko was a way better performer in the ring. Awesome technician.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Malenko. Matt has had a great run but it ends here. Two most deserving men in the final being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

V1 was great fun but it does have to be Malenko. Malenko vs. Rey is about the best final you could get and it'd be tough to choose between them. Definitely Malenko here.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

I'll go with Malenko, although Hardy was great with the V1 gimmick Malenko had a better LHW/Cruiserweight career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Malenko for me here. Far better wrestler

And so it's come to this.... Let's take a look at the final bracket of the latter stages of the PW Boards Unified Light Heavy/Cruiserweight Tournament. It's rather fitting that it's come down to the the man that arguably defined the WCW's Cruiserweight Division and the man that's probably the most synonymous with the WWE's Light Heavyweight Division.

We'll let this one run til tomorrow evening to give them both a fair chance. I'll PM all members who cast votes throughout the tournament too so we get a proper outlook on who is the best junior heavyweight of them all. Most votes win

Ultimo Dragon
    Billy Kidman
    Billy Kidman
    Rey Misterio, Jr
    Rey Misterio, Jr
    Chavo Guerrero
    Rey Misterio, Jr
    Dean Malenko
    Taka Michinoku
    Dean Malenko
    Dean Malenko
    Matt Hardy
    Matt Hardy
    Jamie Noble

The Final

VAsXg9D.png

Rey Misterio, Jr

Mr. 619

ReyMysterioJr012.jpg

Role of Honour

WCW Cruiserweight Champion 8 times
    WWE Cruiserweight Champion 3 times
    WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champion 1 time

vs

Dean Malenko

The Man of 1000 Holds

DeanMalenko.jpg

Role of Honour

WCW Cruiserweight Champion 4 times
    WWF Light Heavyweight Champion 2 times
    PWI ranked him #1 in the PWI 500 in 1997

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

My vote goes to Dean. Better wrestler, and I frankly just like him more. I also don't want to see Rey win in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Extremely tough vote. Two of my favourite wrestlers ever. Rey is just brilliant (I'll never understand why there seems to be a dislike of Rey out there) but so is Dean. And their matches together are just dynamite. I'm going to vote Malenko. I just love watching Malenko work, it's looks so seamless and effortless. Plus there's his awesome entrance music.

The fact Pro Wrestling Illustrated ranked him number 1 out of 500 in 1997 says a lot for me. Vastly under rated performer by casual fans. On a personal preference, I'm gonna vote Dean Malenko.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'm going for Dean too. He could wrestle a variety of styles whereas Rey was a bit more one dimensional.

If you look at the list of best in ring workers, Malenko is high up that list. He was that good. He had that trait like Bret Hart did, everything looked so seamless and realistic. A master at his craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Another vote for Malenko.

When he unmasked in the ring against Jericho is one of the finest moments in WCW history.

I should have made this first to five! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

I think I may be too late with my vote but I'll go with Rey Mysterio anyways. Mainly just down to personal preference and having seeing more of his work than Malenko's, Smackdown 2002-2005 was the peak of my wrestling fandom.

Griever931 wrote: »
    I think I may be too late with my vote but I'll go with Rey Mysterio anyways. Mainly just down to personal preference and having seeing more of his work than Malenko's, Smackdown 2002-2005 was the peak of my wrestling fandom.

You're not too late, this one doesn't have a set quota. It goes til tomorrow. Let's say 2:25pm as 225 pounds was the old weight limit :)

• Advertisement

Dean Malenko. What can I say that already hasn't been said? Superior technically in the ring than many heavyweight champions if we're being honest. Shame really he never got a chance to shine a little higher up the card.
    While I have no great love for Mysterio, I do have to give him credit for his work at Cruserweight, particularly in WCW. But Malenko wins for me. A fitting final and a great tournament it must be said too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Perhaps going by the voting trend so far I wasn't alone in thinking Mysterio had to make the final but also that Dean should win.

Malenko was great and... Nah just malenko was great, give that nan his crown

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

For the sheer spectacle of his matches, I'm gonna give my vote to Ron Mysterious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I’ll vote for Dean Malenko. Mysterio went on to be so much bigger. Dean as cruiserweight champ in WCW was white hot. His feud with Jericho was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Said at the start Rey might win and I'm not gonna change my mind. I've seen more Rey matches than Malenkos and I've enjoyed the high flying bouts with Rey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

I'm sticking with Malenko here. Phenomenal wrestler, and just a cut above of Rey Mysterio

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Even though ive seen way more of Mysterios work i think im gonna have to go for Malenko on this one

With just over half an hour to go, this sums up the current state of the matchup...
    6e33bdc696f42b8d21524f08c24965c9.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

In a way I'm quite surprised the final is this one-sided.

• Advertisement

Whether you wanna call him the Iceman or the Shooter, this man has been everywhere and has been successful everywhere. Capturing gold in the Big 3 US promotions as well as being named Number 1 in Pro Wrestling Illustrated's 500 list in 1997, your PW Boards Unified Light Heavy/Cruiserweight Champion is The Man of 1000 Holds Dean Malenko.

malenko.jpg

Advertisement