Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus, another referendum on its way -blasphemy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Mannach actually does have a point, if its worthwhile removing a law thats unenforcable by design, perhaps it would be worthwhile increasing and copper fastening genuine freedom of speech no matter how unpalatable that speech is to some quarters...

What I inferred from Manach's drive-by was just pure typical reactionary spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I just don't understand the hate for this old law. The way I see it our leaders we're planning ahead for hassle in the republic. Religious division was allways a fear.

Noblong wrote: »
    I just don't understand the hate for this old law. The way I see it our leaders we're planning ahead for hassle in the republic. Could have locked up Big Ian under that law.

How would you define blasphemy? I honestly don't believe Dev & co were looking ahead for any potential trouble up north - I'd attribute more to capitulation to the RCC - remember, the original 1937 Constitution referred to the RCC's "special position".

I wouldn't be surprised if the Christian part of the No side are still dreaming of putting that "special position" back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How would you define blasphemy? I honestly don't believe Dev & co were looking ahead for any potential trouble up north - I'd attribute more to capitulation to the RCC - remember, the original 1937 Constitution referred to the RCC's "special position".

I wouldn't be surprised if the Christian part of the No side are still dreaming of putting that "special position" back in.

They might as well put it back in.

No members of the RC hierarchy who participated in paedophile rings by moving child rapists to new areas while covering up their crimes have ever been charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I just don't understand the hate for this old law. The way I see it our leaders we're planning ahead for hassle in the republic. Religious division was allways a fear.

Well that's a load of rubbish. If the intent of the constitution was to avoid religious division, then it wouldn't have explicitly given a special position to the RC church (which was removed in a referendum in the 1970s)

The original constitution was one of a state controlled and dominated by one religion. Ireland was a catholic outpost and an enemy of the state was the protestant tradition in ireland, and abroad.

• Advertisement

It could have been from any angle though. People were still worried about the terrible style of governments rising back then. Allways had to plan ahead back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What does this post even mean? You're not making any sense.

How can you not understand the hate for a constitutional law which makes blaspheming a crime?

It's fairly straightforward - many people don't want our country to contain a law which makes it illegal to blaspheme. It's not something which fits in with a modern, progressive society.

Why?

1. How exactly do you ascertain what constitutes blasphemy? It's completely subjective.
    2. Why should anyone have to limit what they say about an organization just because it's related to a religion?
    3. Why should anyone have to limit what they produce, be it artwork, books, articles etc and have to avoid certain things for risk of being accused of blasphemy?
    4. Why would anyone who is anti religion and state being in bed together want such a law in their constitution?

It's hardly requires a degree to understand why some folks have an issue with the law.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Well that's a load of rubbish. If the intent of the constitution was to avoid religious division, then it wouldn't have explicitly given a special position to the RC church (which was removed in a referendum in the 1970s)
    What about cultural division then? Why not put a full secular constitution forward and leave the religious to shout at one another? Or at us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Questioning the authority of the RCC was always the real fear, and we already have the incitement to hatred laws. Religion is covered under those laws and I would see no issue with people questioning religion in a civil manner and without fear of reprisal.

I wouldn't want to see anyone promoting hatred of another human being simply because they don't share their beliefs, and conversely I wouldn't like to see anyone promoting hatred of another human being for their absence of belief.

Plenty more reasons to view someone as an arsehole besides their religion or absence thereof. I note that 'arrogant prick' doesn't come under hate speech, so we're good to go on that one at least!

Nobody likes those people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Fear and hatred are a powerful tonic, but all the more fearsome when mixed with ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I note that 'arrogant prick' doesn't come under hate speech, so we're good to go on that one at least!

TBF I am one and decent enough to accept it even if it's not justified (according to some)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Indeed.

In the last 4 years we've been twice given the chance to change how politics runs in Ireland & on both occasions we rejected it.

Yet b*tch about politics never changing.

Its not that, its 51% of the people controlling the 49%.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Galway K9 wrote: »

Surely that's democracy for you? Also there was that large chunk of people who didn't bother their ass turning up, so the figures above are misleading as well, its 31% influencing policies that affect the 100% (made up of the 30% who cared and the 39% who didn't care, and the 31% who voted for the winning vote).

Caveat: numbers made up but I think you get the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

We should have a referndum to abolish referenda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

That's sort of the concept of the whole thing

That's sort of the concept of the whole thing

It's an extreme example but it will be the haven of the theophobes when this dastardly proposal is rejected by the people.

What else would one expect from people that blind themselves to the fact that over 90% of the people in this country fearlessly declare their faith?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

catallus wrote: »
    It's an extreme example but it will be the haven of the theophobes when this dastardly proposal is rejected by the people.

What else would one expect from people that blind themselves to the fact that over 90% of the people in this country fearlessly declare their faith?

I'm just going to back away slowly now, OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

What else would one expect from people that blind themselves to the fact that over 90% of the people in this country blindly declare their faith?
    Fixed that for you.

Ah, the condescension of the "FYP" post. Haven't seen that in a while :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

:rolleyes:
    Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

What does it matter? Not like it's enforced what a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

A group representing the majority of christian churches in Ireland came out recently and said they didn't support this prevision in the constitution http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-council-of-churches-blasphemy-1158078-Nov2013/

If even the catholic church is happy to support this proposal, then who exactly is voting against it?

What does it matter? Not like it's enforced what a waste of time and money.

You don't get it at all! It's a chance for secularist trolls to have a tantrum and get the country to kow-tow to their agenda of intolerance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

No. It's called democracy !

No. It's called democracy !

To be fair, there's such a thing as too much democracy - which is usually in the form of an ethnic/religious majority forcing minorities to capitulate to their demands (e.g. Jim Crow Laws in the Deep South, the "special position" of the Catholic Church) - it's sometimes known as "majoritarianism".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You don't get it at all! It's a chance for secularist trolls to have a tantrum and get the country to kow-tow to their agenda of intolerance.

1) Paedophile rings.

2) Mass graves.

3) Slave camps.

4) Outcasting those not following "The Rules".

5) Controlling education.

6) Massive tax avoidance.

7) Subverting democracy.

Yup. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Because trying to prevent people saying anything that could be blasphemous is just pure tolerance.

Because trying to prevent people saying anything that could be blasphemous is just pure tolerance.

Such twisted moral blindness is appalling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I agree with catallus - how dare you be intolerant of our intolerance! We won't tolerate it.

• Advertisement

What's even more annoying is they blind themselves to the majesty of faith!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement