Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus, another referendum on its way -blasphemy

Options
  • 02-10-2014 4:31pm

Seems the Irish government are already splashing the money generated from Irish water.

We are set to have another referendum, this time its blasphemy they want to get our votes on!
    IRISH VOTERS WILL have be asked to vote on whether to remove the crime of blasphemy from the Constitution, it was announced this morning.
    Junior Minister Aodhán Ó’Ríordáin told the Dáil:

The Government accepts the main recommendation of the [Constitutional Convention], which is that a referendum should be held on removing the offence of blasphemy from the Constitution.

Article 40 of the Irish Constitution states that:

The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.
    Furthermore, Section 36 of the 2009 Defamation Act outlines a fine of up to €25,000 for anyone convicted of the offence.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-blasphemy-law-referendum-1702243-Oct2014/

Cant wait!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Well,Holy God.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Seems the Irish government are already splashing the money generated from Irish water.

We are set to have another referendum, this time its blasphemy they want to get our votes on!

So we should just keep antiquated laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Fuking country is Nuts if we have to spend several millions on a Referendum to abolish a fuking Gobbledegook law

21/25

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It is a bit silly though, in fairness. Unfortunately requires a referendum to change the constitution.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Jehovah! Jehovah!

I think it's a good step. That ridiculous blasphemy law should never have existed in the first place. Sure, there are more pressing matters they should be dealing with (getting rid of the eighth amendment, for one) but that doesn't negate the importance of this. I'd rather they spend a (relatively small) amount of money on a referendum than keep that antiquated shít in our constitution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

For the love of Jehovah and by the power of Jesus t*tty-f*cking Christ, what's this all about then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Let's have a vote to ditch all mention of God from the constitution while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Its about time.

Let's have a vote to ditch all mention of God from the constitution while we're at it.

I'd say there'd be a record turnout if that happened

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

This we can have a referendum on, while the government insist on kicking the abortion debate down the road.

• Advertisement

Would be great but I bet you'd still have a lot of idiots voting NO solely as a misguided and useless protest against "teh gubberment".

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

You are aware that there's been a Constitutional Convention looking at reviewing the constitution for about the last year?

There's going to be at least 3 referendums and more likely 5 next year - on same-sex marriage, voting age, minimum age of presidential candidates, blasphemy and the role of women in the home.

But hey, no problem with having something in the constitution that limits speech because some people think that believing in a sky fairy and not having that challenged is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Lots of threads.... Lots of agenda.

Zero solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ah jaysus, surely this could be put on the long finger until we have a few other things to refer (is that the verb for what you do at a referendum..? Referend..? Rendum..?) at the same time?

pconn062 wrote: »
    This we can have a referendum on, while the government insist on kicking the abortion debate down the road.
    I think a lot of activists would be left pretty surprised if they got their wish for a referendum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Should bundle it in with the other issues to save money. Is it really that urgent? I mean you could probably cart off the entire clientele of any pub in one night: "ah for jaysus sake ya"...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The "No" side of this debate for the referendum will be hilarious to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Sometimes I think I'm living in the twilight-zone with all of this sh!te. There are more pressing issues to deal with than this ancient junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I think it's a little silly to get rid of it with all the Islamic stuff going on the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm going to spoil my vote by call god an awful prick. Depending on what way the vote goes I could be in trouble!

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote: »
    Should bundle it in with the other issues to save money. Is it really that urgent? I mean you could probably cart off the entire clientele of any pub in one night: "ah for jaysus sake ya"...

It probably will be.
    The SSM referendum is in 2015, this will probably be done on the same day. (To be divided though).

Fixing a rotten constitution piece by piece should be urgent alright

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Can we propose an add-on to remove the sale of alcohol on Sunday mornings ban? If so then i say we go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A referendum is needed to change constitution.

People criticize governments for disenfranchising people but then when people are given the chance to repeal anachronistic laws, they moan.

I assume they'll probably tack it on to the next election ballot so the cost won't be as much of an issue.

anncoates wrote: »
    People criticize governments for disenfranchising people but then when people are given the chance to repeal anachronistic laws, they moan.

Indeed.

In the last 4 years we've been twice given the chance to change how politics runs in Ireland & on both occasions we rejected it.

Yet b*tch about politics never changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sure it will just end up under 'hate speech' laws instead of a the the blasphemy legistation. Rightly so.

minotour wrote: »
    Can we propose an add-on to remove the sale of alcohol on Sunday mornings ban? If so then i say we go for it!

And Good Friday, Christmas Day

21/25

I've never heard of an Irish person being charged for blasphemy in my lifetime, and I'm ancient.

minotour wrote: »

That law can be changed at a moments notice by the Dáil.

Stupidly they prefer nanny state to reign instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I've never heard of an Irish person being charged for blasphemy in my lifetime, and I'm ancient.

Even if it's a rhetorical point, isn't it still a good thing on principle to see another religious part of the Constitution chipped away?

Or does AH prefer snide trolling of normal Catholics to actually doing something to slowly erode the influence of church on our state?

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Even if it's a rhetorical point, isn't it still a good thing on principle to see another religious part of the Constitution chipped away?

Or does AH prefer snide trolling of normal Catholics to actually doing something to slowly erode the influence of church on our state?

I'm atheist, so the sooner the better this blasphemy law is discarded the better. I care not for religion in any shape or form.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement