Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus, another referendum on its way -blasphemy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I know there has to be a referendum in order to change the legislation, but surely there isn't any urgent need for a referendum on it any time soon. There would be an extremely low turnout to vote, who gives a crap about that law:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I know there has to be a referendum in order to change the legislation, but surely there isn't any urgent need for a referendum on it any time soon. There would be an extremely low turnout to vote, who gives a crap about that law:confused:

Its not a great constitution.
    Why not change it sooner rather than later?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nobody has ever been charged with it, that I know of anyway. But more separation of church and state is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Sure it will just end up under 'hate speech' laws instead of a the the blasphemy legistation. Rightly so.

I suppose, but do you remember that case in Norway with the cartonist. That caused riots in some places. I'd much rather Ireland presented with some religous heritage abroad than none.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Draco wrote: »
    You are aware that there's been a Constitutional Convention looking at reviewing the constitution for about the last year?

There's going to be at least 3 referendums and more likely 5 next year - on same-sex marriage, voting age, minimum age of presidential candidates, blasphemy and the role of women in the home.

Why can't they just have all the referendums the same day? 5 slips of paper, 5 choices and thats it FFS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Just because it's not urgent doesn't mean it doesn't have to be done :confused:

Put 2 or 3 of three of these minor changes up for vote next year or stick it with one major one. I don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The craven capitulation to the fickle desires of the benighted theophobes is a worrying manifestation of the shallowness of the minds of the elites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

catallus wrote: »
    The craven capitulation to the fickle desires of the benighted theophobes is a worrying manifestation of the shallowness of the minds of the elites.

True dat....
    Big ups!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Sounds like somebody found a thesaurus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Catchy slogan, but you'll need a big billboard for the campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Try saying that after a few pints...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Let's have a vote to ditch all mention of God from the constitution while we're at it.

Can't agree with that enough. An absolute embarrassment.
    In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,
    We, the people of Éire,
    Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial,

The people of Ireland humbly acknowledge a load of crap that nobody can prove exists.

Change that crap as well about people swearing on bibles too. Has anyone ever read what's in it? :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why can't they just have all the referendums the same day? 5 slips of paper, 5 choices and thats it FFS
    Last I heard there'll be two other referendums on the same day as the same se referendum. Remember that the last referendum in 2013v was on two issues - the Court of Appeal and the abolishment of the Dáil. So it's fairly normal practice to do so.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think the idea is to have a referendum on the changes that they've agreed to. But just because a change was proposed, doesn't mean that the government have to agree to accept it, so I suspect that we will get to vote on a group of changes all at once, for the ones that are easy to sort out. Then there is at least one that is meant to involve a ton of small changes, so it will take longer to sort that one out. And I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to reject the one for citizen initiative altogether, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Stupid democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Nimr wrote: »
    Just because it's not urgent doesn't mean it doesn't have to be done :confused:

Put 2 or 3 of three of these minor changes up for vote next year or stick it with one major one. I don't see the problem.

If it were a referendum on seperating the church from state, i.e, no church involvement in schools I'd say it was a great idea and that the cost of the referendum would be money well spent. The problem is that most people don't know that piece of legislation exists and I very much doubt that many people would bother to go to their local polling station to vote for it. It's a non issue for most people. It's a trivial matter that doesn't seem to merit the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The hilarity of the "No" side has begun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I thought FF brought in a blasphemy law or something similar equally ridiculous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

In fairness catallus it was the mindless craven capitulation to the fickle desires of the elites that allowed this, and many other laws to be bestowed upon a benighted population at the time, and not too many considered that a worrying manifestation.

This is just the reverse of that, to reflect the will of a society that is no longer benighted and forced to capitulate to the fickle desires of the elites.

Well, it's a start anyway, but it'll be a couple of generations yet, and much money pissed away in the meantime on piecemeal referenda, before Ireland will ever have a secular Constitution (if ever).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I have to say, I'm very proud to be from a country where any change to our constitution is voted on by the people. Some people/media scoff at what a backwater Ireland is but this is an incredibly progressive aspect of our country imo. Other countries have no say in this kind of stuff at all, big or small. I can think of more important things that need to be dealt with but as long as we have this system in place, I won't/can't complain.

• Advertisement

Czarcasm wrote: »
    In fairness[....]

This is just the reverse of that....[]

Moral relativism is ok so?

Moral relativism is ok so?

Well it's OK by me, I wouldn't impose my opinion on anyone else though. Perhaps we should have a referendum on it?

Chisel that one down on the tablet there, we'll bring it up at the next meeting before we put it to the people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Go ahead catallus [sic], make all of our days and ring the Guards about our blasphemy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Damn elites ceding democratic control to the populace like some sort of democracy!

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Well it's OK by me, I wouldn't impose my opinion on anyone else though. ....:p

Ah yes. "And, as it all fell apart, nobody payed much attention."
    Go ahead catallus [sic], make all of our days and ring the Guards about our blasphemy.

I continually pray for your soul, pope. ;) Render unto Caesar, and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think you've contracted Waters disease.

If it were a referendum on seperating the church from state, i.e, no church involvement in schools I'd say it was a great idea and that the cost of the referendum would be money well spent. The problem is that most people don't know that piece of legislation exists and I very much doubt that many people would bother to go to their local polling station to vote for it. It's a non issue for most people. It's a trivial matter that doesn't seem to merit the costs.

Well we will be voting on a number of issues at once, and it will possibly be the same referendum that decides the issue of gay marriage. So I'm willing to bet that the turnout will be greater than that for the children's referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Wow, this thread is incredible.
    The solution to wasted money isn't less democracy, it's cheaper democracy. We should be able to hold as many polls as we want without it costing millions of euro. What's the money going in to? Referendum commission booklets? Staff at polling stations? There's no logical reason referenda have to be expensive. In Switzerland they hold polls all the time and it doesn't bankrupt them, what are they doing differently?

Ah yes. "And, as it all fell apart, nobody payed much attention."

Not happy with your Lot catallus? Do you feel like people are rubbing salt in your wounds?

It's all getting a bit Babylonian in here -

"And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication."

I was always more of an Oasis than a Talking Heads fan myself -

Don't look back in anger :p

I continually pray for your soul, pope. ;) Render unto Caesar, and all that.

When in Rome...? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

In Switzerland they hold polls all the time and it doesn't bankrupt them, what are they doing differently?

They didn't shaft the taxpayer with the debts of private businesses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement