Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus, another referendum on its way -blasphemy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

rozeboosje wrote: »
    has anybody ever been convicted on the back of the existing blasphemy law?

No, but someone tried to bring a newspaper to the Supreme Court in the 90s during the divorce referendum debate. SC said the constitution was unclear on just what blasphemy was and that there was no legislation.

So, Dermot Ahern introduced legislation in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Draco wrote: »
    the abolishment of the Dáil. So it's fairly normal practice to do so.
    Awh feck I thought it was only the seanad and voted no. Can we vote again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Sleepy wrote: »
    I don't see why we need so many Referendums on Amendments.

Our Constitution is rotten to the core and completely out-of-date not even a century after it was written. We need a ground up re-write of the document and a single referendum to vote in it's replacement.

What does any of this mean? How can you say our Constitution is out of date? Is it just mindless "This is 2014!!!!" rabble-rousing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ummm, doesnt this have to have people who are for keeping the law for debates? I cant wait to see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

catallus wrote: »
    What does any of this mean? How can you say our Constitution is out of date? Is it just mindless "This is 2014!!!!" rabble-rousing?

The constitution is out of date because it hasn't moved with public opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Clankatron

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The constitution is out of date because it hasn't moved with public opinion.

And parts of it are, literally, insane.

Oh look, catallus [sic] has an ally:
    https://twitter.com/RonanMullen/status/517714794661826560

:rolleyes:

I would love a job as a senator but I am capable of dressing myself in the morning so am probably overqualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Nodin wrote: »
    Nope. Ne'er a one.

I didn't think so. Still, the thought that it's technically possible is creepy enough.

I won't be able to vote as I'm an effin' furriner ... but I hope you folks all do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

If only we had less democracy, imagine the cash savings!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Great, yet another expensive re-write to appease the PC-brigade their possible hurt feelings. I image that they will of course keep the controls that the government can clamp down on speech that can be deemed subversive to the state.

• Advertisement

Indeed.

Why are they laughing in those cages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Manach wrote: »
    Great, yet another expensive re-write to appease the PC-brigade their possible hurt feelings.

Haven't our blasphemy laws been used by religiously bigoted states such as Pakistan and Saudi Arabia as justification for their own hate laws dealing with believers (death penalty yo)? But yeah, let's blame the secularists at home. Imagine them having the cheek to make the baby Jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Great, yet another expensive re-write to appease the PC-brigade their possible hurt feelings. I image that they will of course keep the controls that the government can clamp down on speech that can be deemed subversive to the state.
    Well the state actually exists and can be destroyed unlike your sky fairy

I assume we're all currently Tweeting Mr. Mullen to tell him that we mock his god and everything he believes in?

I assume we're all currently Tweeting Mr. Mullen to tell him that we mock his god and everything he believes in?

Not yet. The gardai will be knocking down the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

So the whole debate will be in favour of ditching, and the no side will be replaced by the Moan About "The PC Brigade" Brigade. This will be very, very dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You must be great craic at parties.

I suppose we could sell babies to raise funds for this referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Booo, down with democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

krudler wrote: »
    Booo, down with democracy.

Yeah, we need one of them "managed democracies" like Russia and Ireland in the rare auld times, when Fine Fáil were scrambling over each other to kiss the bishop's ring.

Yeah, now we can kiss the ring of the shinner secularists?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

catallus wrote: »
    Yeah, now we can kiss the ring of the shinner secularists?

No, I'm not into that kind of thing. I'll send ye a signed picture of it though, and ye can get your jollies that way.

What is so worrying is the intenacity of the whole "change it NOW" mindset is.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wulfie

This blue shirt government . More beurocricy and reaffirming old unused laws.

Bring on that General election .

People voted for them the last time, because they had their fingers on the pulse of the nation . If someone got onto Joe wotsit about some micro problem , FG would be calling for heads to roll asap.

When is the last time that law was used ? Bullshiitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wulfie

Would be great but I bet you'd still have a lot of idiots voting NO solely as a misguided and useless protest against "teh gubberment".

As with every amendment our political class priicks make us choose or not to vote on . We can be sure they will use our decision, in one way or another, to make us feel, we made the wrong decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Can we send the bill to Dermot Ahern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Mannach actually does have a point, if its worthwhile removing a law thats unenforcable by design, perhaps it would be worthwhile increasing and copper fastening genuine freedom of speech no matter how unpalatable that speech is to some quarters,
    We badly need to change our libel laws.

Also the offences against the state act could probably do with an overhaul and it should not be possible for the civil (garda) and military forces to under the same ministry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

While I'm 100% in favour of removing the reference to Blasphemy from the irish constitution, the actual findings of the constitutional convention were that blasphemy is replaced with something potentially even worse

A constitutional prohibition on the incitement of religious hatred..
    The Constitutional Convention has published its report calling for the offence of blasphemy to be removed.
    It recommends that blasphemy is replaced by a new general ban on incitement to religious hatred.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/constitutional-convention-recommends-removal-of-blasphemy-offence-620909.html

The thing with Blasphemy, is that it would be an absolute PR disaster for the state to take even a single prosecution under this provision in the 21st century, so it's relatively harmless. However, with a 'ban on incitement of religious hatred' we could have religious lobby groups of all creeds in the courts 7 days a week lodging applications that one thing or another is persecuting their religion to such a degree that it constitutes incitement to religous hatred. It would make any legislation that conflicts with any religious 'freedom' subject to constitutional challenge and it could certainly be used to curb any free speech which opposes religion either with regard to specific elements of specific religions, or in fact, a general opposition to all forms of religion (Christopher hitchens style polemics could be challenged as prohibited under the constitution)

For a start, the zionist lobby would try to shut down any criticism of Israel during another one of it's murderous assaults on a civilian population

Islamic groups could use any attempts to condemn their most repressive practises as an offense prohibited by the constitution. Christians could even attempt to use this as a tool to prevent any equality legislation that insists that homosexuals are treated equally regardless of religious objections

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Akrasia wrote: »
    While I'm 100% in favour of removing the reference to Blasphemy from the irish constitution, the actual findings of the constitutional convention were that blasphemy is replaced with something potentially even worse

A constitutional prohibition on the incitement of religious hatred..

The thing with Blasphemy, is that it would be an absolute PR disaster for the state to take even a single prosecution under this provision in the 21st century, so it's relatively harmless. However, with a 'ban on incitement of religious hatred' we could have religious lobby groups of all creeds in the courts 7 days a week lodging applications that one thing or another is persecuting their religion to such a degree that it constitutes incitement to religous hatred. It would make any legislation that conflicts with any religious 'freedom' subject to constitutional challenge and it could certainly be used to curb any free speech which opposes religion either with regard to specific elements of specific religions, or in fact, a general opposition to all forms of religion (Christopher hitchens style polemics could be challenged as prohibited under the constitution)

For a start, the zionist lobby would try to shut down any criticism of Israel during another one of it's murderous assaults on a civilian population

Islamic groups could use any attempts to condemn their most repressive practises as an offense prohibited by the constitution. Christians could even attempt to use this as a tool to prevent any equality legislation that insists that homosexuals are treated equally regardless of religious objections

TL;DR

Be careful what you wish for?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

El Weirdo wrote: »
    TL;DR

Be careful what you wish for?

More like, 'beware of politicians bearing gifts'

I hope the actual ballot will be more transparent and allow a genuine option to remove religious privilege from our constitution, but that is a hope more than an expectation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Maybe just bring in legislation banning the organised worship of unproven deities.

There are too many organisations out there scamming gullible people, and too much resources wasted on their infrastructure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement