Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kona 2014 (spoiler alert)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

What has happened to Andrew Starykowicz?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

race on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Bambaata wrote: »
    The coverage is typical american, promo, promo, race action, ad, ad, ad, some more ads. Its what sport is for them (pure business). The only reason they have American Footie, basketball and baseball is for ad space "stop play, we need more ads"

Seems frodo got a penalty rather than puncture. Not sure what swallow got done for but real pity. I'm nearly positive she seemed very slow to come back when overtaken earlier while they were on camera, possibly happened then.

Not sure if we are watching the same coverage, but what I'm watching is excellent! Any ads are running simultaneous with live feed, and the ads are quite at a minimum. And, I'm finding there is good info regarding tactics, approach, and execution...I'm trying to soak in as much of it as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Not sure if we are watching the same coverage, but what I'm watching is excellent! Any ads are running simultaneous with live feed, and the ads are quite at a minimum. And, I'm finding there is good info regarding tactics, approach, and execution...I'm trying to soak in as much of it as possible.

You're used to it!! Painful for us lot ;)

You're used to it!! Painful for us lot ;)

(but it really is good coverage here.....)

• Advertisement

(but it really is good coverage here.....)

pretty sure its all the same coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Someone should get Pete Jacobs wife off his twitter acc. The excuses have started already. Never seen an ex WC go from great to pure crap in the last 2 years. Carbon copy of last years race where he went out with the big boys on the bike and blew his lights out.

Crowie looked quickest out of T2 but too far back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

So I lost track of this stuff for a year or so... what happened that Xena is getting coached by macca, but Angry bird is with Brett? Surprised to see Xena so far back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The commentators are pants. The lads doing the blog are doing a better job of telling the story of the race

Ryf has done well up to now but she ain't going to win. Looks like wheels coming off a little and struggling.
    Kienle still looks ok

• Advertisement

Wow.....Rinny.......

Wow.....Rinny.......

This is just unreal, I know she can run but a 14min deficit

No she is too far back, will not feature on podium as likely to be 14 behind off the bike

Had to quote this because what Rinny doing is exceptional

This is just unreal, I know she can run but a 14min deficit

Agreed. Serious respect to that gal. 14 minutes was insane!

What kind of freakin' split is she going to go? Sub 2:50???

Joyce looks strong too. And love her kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

What kind of freakin' split is she going to go? Sub 2:50???

On current pace - 2:49... maybe down to 2:50 ish by finish.

That would be 3rd fastest split if so, Frodo ran 2:47:46 and Potts 2:48...

Different class. her form is unreal, the strike and the body position leaning forward just right amount. Nice.

Fazz wrote: »
    On current pace - 2:49... maybe down to 2:50 ish by finish.

That would be 3rd fastest split if so, Frodo ran 2:47:46 and Potts 2:48...

Different class. her form is unreal, the strike and the body position leaning forward just right amount. Nice.

Beauty in motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I got Lucky on this one...
    Most of top 5 picked just a bit of shuffling...
    Fazz wrote: »
    Mens:

1 - Kienle (Correct)
    2 - Frodo (Close - 3rd)
    3 - Frommhold (Close - 6th)
    4 - T O'Donnell (Nowhere)
    5 - Potts (Close - 4th)

Women's: Not finished yet but looks like race done last few miles left.

1 - Steffen (Close - 5th)
    2 - Ryf (Correct - 2nd)
    3 - Swallow (Close - 4th)
    4 - Carfrae (Close-ish - 1st)
    5 - Joyce (Close - 3rd)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Had to stay up to see could Carfrae catch Ryf. Unbelievable running by her again. 14 minutes down after the bike looked a little bit too much to make up but she was flying it again on the run.
    A 2:50 marathon & a faster run than the men's winner for the 2nd year in a row. Incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No she is too far back, will not feature on podium as likely to be 14 behind off the bike

How did those words taste :)

Fell asleep and just seen the results. Rinny must've had some run and fair play to Kienle thought he'd put everything into the bike.

Serious athletes. It'll be a highlights day for me today.

mossym wrote: »
    Kienle for the men, some good results early, then relatively quite at the 70.3, said on the thread for that i reckoned this was his focus and still think so.

women's, hard to see past a repeat win for MC
    mossym wrote: »
    if the doc isn't over talking her, ryf is going to take some beating. he's mentioning course record bike split as a real target

if that's the case, rinny getting off the bike with a hell of a chase on her hands could make for a killer race...:)

i should have done the lotto.

or at least backed my choices

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bambaata wrote: »
    What has happened to Andrew Starykowicz?

All talk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Interesting to see Ryf is only 27, compared to the other ladies in the top 10 - Gajer at 32, the rest 33, 36, 37...could be a huge few years ahead for Ryf!
    Following on from some twitter debate...average age for top 10 males lower than top 10 women. Random science but backing up the concept that women improve as endurance athletes with age? or more to do with the fact women tend to start sport (or go back to sport) at a later stage in life than men do?

So much for IM being for old people only BTH eh?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Interesting to see Ryf is only 27, compared to the other ladies in the top 10 - Gajer at 32, the rest 33, 36, 37...could be a huge few years ahead for Ryf!
    Following on from some twitter debate...average age for top 10 males lower than top 10 women. Random science but backing up the concept that women improve as endurance athletes with age? or more to do with the fact women tend to start sport (or go back to sport) at a later stage in life than men do?

So much for IM being for old people only BTH eh?! ;)

The stat was average age of AGers was 43. Pro athletes is a different story. Although not so different. How many move to IM after an ITU career??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Interesting to see some of the run meltdowns despite being in contention off the bike..

Andy Raelert 5:16
    Marino van hugeknackers 4:31

Looks like it can happen to the best of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Random science but backing up the concept that women improve as endurance athletes with age?

Doesn't everyone improve with age (endurance wise) ?

Izoard wrote: »
    Interesting to see some of the run meltdowns despite being in contention off the bike..

Andy Raelert 5:16
    Marino van hugeknackers 4:31

Looks like it can happen to the best of us...

Hugeknackers has come out and declared he is done with Kona after this year. Apart from 2010 when he finished 3rd i always thought he would eventually win it given his talent but he has had a nightmare on that course in the last few years.

I see Pete Jacobs had a DNF, that guy has gone from great to crap in the space of 2 years. Must be the reduced oxygen going to his brain with the training mask crowd he is sponsored by!

Looks like the Irish did not have an easy time of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hugeknackers has come out and declared he is done with Kona after this year. Apart from 2010 when he finished 3rd i always thought he would eventually win it given his talent but he has had a nightmare on that course in the last few years.

I see Pete Jacobs had a DNF, that guy has gone from great to crap in the space of 2 years. Must be the reduced oxygen going to his brain with the training mask crowd he is sponsored by!

Looks like the Irish did not have an easy time of it either.

Presumably the heat is the main issue (coupled with wind and course profile), but interesting that both these guys are the record holders (MVH -"IM", AR - IronDistance - Roth), so have buried themselves in hot environments in the past.

• Advertisement

he reminds me a lot of harrington. had it, too much tinkering with it and lost it. more tinkering only make it worse.

tough one though, they know they have to improve continuously, which is even harder when you;re the number 1

Advertisement