Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kona 2014 (spoiler alert)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

info on live feeds, including the video feed

http://www.tri247.com/article_13344.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What does a pro have to do to qualify? Certain amount of points from other IM races? Just wondering what the 'validation' thing means?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What does a pro have to do to qualify? Certain amount of points from other IM races? Just wondering what the 'validation' thing means?

Former winners, for a certain number of years after their win, do not have to rack up points just finish an ironman to "validate".

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Entry is based on points but I know champions in full or half qualify automatically, they just have to validate by finishing an IM in the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭pointer28

AFAIK

Points are earned from various IM and HIM pro races, and validation means that you have to have completed a full IM in the previous 12 months ie even if you have enough points from HIM's you still have to do a full to validate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Talks of Kienle having an achilles injury and aqua jogging to save it.
    Hopefully rubbish.

Llanos a danger man.

Steffen completely under the radar also.

5:25pm irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Mens is a lot more open than the womens IMO,

mens - there are some guys who seem to have flown under the radar for one reason or the other, jacobs, raelart, lanos and even FVL is not getting too much love. almost impossible to predict the winner or top 3

womens - think its between ryf and carfrae with joyce and abraham also in the mix

so prediction FWIW

frodeno
    FVL
    Jacobs

Carfrae
    Ryf
    Joyce

looking forward to watching it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Could Frommhold go with kienle? Definitely stayed under the radar; the man put out 310 watts for Roth , potential outsider chance for the podium if he holds it together on the run...if frodo is in contention coming into t2 dont think there is anyone to match him on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

trinewbie wrote: »
    Could Frommhold go with kienle? Definitely stayed under the radar; the man put out 310 watts for Roth , potential outsider chance for the podium if he holds it together on the run...if frodo is in contention coming into t2 dont think there is anyone to match him on the run.

Frommhold will have near 4 mins on Kienle out of Swim.

So likely to be close between at back half of bike.

Kienle still a little stronger on paper overall though.

So much could happen. Very open race.
    Hopefully see a group of Stary, Kienle, Frommhold, Vanhoe and maybe McKenzie go off the front on the bike.
    Though Stary likely out on his own in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I had no idea of the disparity in men:women athletes! (never thought of it, actually) 1500+ men: 600+ women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Folks what link are ye watching this on? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Frodeno's got a flat. Bummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I had no idea of the disparity in men:women athletes! (never thought of it, actually) 1500+ men: 600+ women.

Maybe it's different in The States, but to be fair I've never done a tri where women were so well represented.

you've got people who go low 9's and don't get there

then you see guys sprinting (relatively) up the stairs to beat the swim cut off. seems wrong to me

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

mossym wrote: »
    you've got people who go low 9's and don't get there

then you see guys sprinting (relatively) up the stairs to beat the swim cut off. seems wrong to me

Arent there legacy and lottery slots?

Oryx wrote: »
    Arent there legacy and lottery slots?

there are, it's the only way these could possibly get in. but it still seems wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

zico10 wrote: »
    Maybe it's different in The States, but to be fair I've never done a tri where women were so well represented.

Due to my lack of race experience, I haven't a clue...but I imagine that the above ratio is pretty representative of the breakdown nationally. (I only say that because of the way Kona slots are given out - based on division proportions.) However, as a female, what a huge bonus for the ladies in the swim start!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Do we need to use spoilers for the race???

130k gone on the bike, lots within 10mns

Maik Twelsiek
    0:05 Sebastian Kienle
    1:45 Marino Vanhoenacker
    2:02 Frederik Van Lierde
    2:12 Ben Hoffman
    2:20 Romain Guillaume
    2:23 Nils Frommhold
    3:53 Tim O'Donnell
    3:56 Tim Van Berkel
    4:01 Tim Reed
    4:02 Cyril Viennot
    4:04 Igor Amorelli
    4:05 Andy Potts
    4:07 Daniel Halksworth
    4:09 Paul Matthews
    4:10 Andreas Raelert
    6:05 Marko Albert
    6:19 Craig Alexander
    7:15 Jan Frodeno
    7:18 Christian Kramer
    8:35 Joe Gambles
    8:54 Richie Cunningham
    9:10 Luke McKenzie

Who's your money on now? What happened to Rana?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Fodo going well considering he'd a puncture!

Perhaps a spoiler tag on the title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Dublin, Ireland getting a mention again.

Just tuned in. Rinny seems down the road a bit. Has she got that much on the run or will she burn herself out chasing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Messick is hard to listen to. Coverage not great, more IM pushing sponsors and new partnerships, less talking & more race coverage needed.

Anyone any idea what Swallow got a penalty for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Dublin, Ireland getting a mention again.

Just tuned in. Rinny seems down the road a bit. Has she got that much on the run or will she burn herself out chasing??

No she is too far back, will not feature on podium as likely to be 14 behind off the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Paul O Doherty and Martin Moldoon representing Iran apparently!

Messick is hard to listen to. Coverage not great, more IM pushing sponsors and new partnerships, less talking & more race coverage needed.

Anyone any idea what Swallow got a penalty for?

agreed.I really don't give a $hit3 who does their waste disposal

i know CSR is a hot topic but come on

The coverage is typical american, promo, promo, race action, ad, ad, ad, some more ads. Its what sport is for them (pure business). The only reason they have American Footie, basketball and baseball is for ad space "stop play, we need more ads"

Seems frodo got a penalty rather than puncture. Not sure what swallow got done for but real pity. I'm nearly positive she seemed very slow to come back when overtaken earlier while they were on camera, possibly happened then.

Bambaata wrote: »
    T

Seems frodo got a penalty rather than puncture. .

you sure? They were covering him when he stopped, really looked like something happened the bike, all of a sudden slowed, started looking down and was trying to kick his feet out...

I didnt actually see that but from reading around it seems he could have had a penalty. Possible that he got both!

Don't forget Mariusz Olejniczak too, going pretty well at the mo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

He got a penalty & a puncture, they said it earlier on.

Advertisement