Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kona 2014 (spoiler alert)

Options
  • 02-10-2014 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know that Tunney determined that not everyone can recall last years winners, but given it's just over a week away it's time to start the predictions.

Here's a list of the Irish going from the TI site. I'll be watching closely as it's the first time a member of Tri Lakes is there. :cool:

Some more dark horses and threats discussed here

Not a lot on ST yet except this interview with MC. I'm sure there will be a lot more there in the coming days.

So who do you fancy?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Kienle for the men, some good results early, then relatively quite at the 70.3, said on the thread for that i reckoned this was his focus and still think so.

women's, hard to see past a repeat win for MC

some predictions from the doc. rules out my choices.

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2014/10/02/brett-suttons-kona-predictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Is it live on the Net this year?

Women, hard to look past Rinny, maybe Stefan could hold out this year.

Men, Kienle, I wonder could Crowie surprise everyone, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

Joyce in the womens, Frodeno in the mens.

Is it live on the Net this year?

it better be, i've en evenings viewing planned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

It would seem there's not much talk anywhere around last year champion doing it again - Van Lierde. He had a great race Frankfurt. Don't be surprised if he comes out on top again

Steffen for the womens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Steffen is looking awfully lean this year. Ryf has to be considered also. My dark horse is Corinne Abraham. On the men's side it's wide open imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Steffen for the womens[/QUOTE]

I see she has been working with Macca and does look very fit, she deserves a win at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

FVL or Kienle for men & Rinny or Ryf for ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm going with the Champ again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Kienle for me, Frodeno and Nils maybe top 3, Outside bet for me is Starykowicz ( call me mad) :D

Steffen for the Women's, Wurtele and Ryf outside bets, Also would like Swallow to go well but usually fades on the run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Mens:

Frodo the joint favourite with Kienle imo.
    FVL close, Marino if he doesn't cook again and then Nils Frommhold is my outsider for the podium.
    Really think this guy is gonna win it next year, and make podium this year. He's basically the next Kienle but with a front pack swim.

1 - Kienle
    2 - Frodo
    3 - Frommhold
    4 - T O'Donnell
    5 - Potts

Still soo many variables though... Like Ivan Rana could do damage and he can run, as can Victor Del Corral Morales.

Then you've got T O'Donnell now under Mark Allen and a big Kona focus, Potts on a Kona focus, Aernouts in serious run form, Bozzone back to ironman, Llanos flying under the radar, Starykowicz with the swim/bike combo and possible hold for a sub 3 marathon.

2 of my podium guys are bikers, when in theory the race looks like a running race this year.
    Heart ruling over head!

Women's:

Carfrae, Steffen, Ryf, Joyce, Cave, Hauschildt, Swallow, Kessler.

Gut says a close one to the end with a close top 5.
    Hard to rule against Carfrae's run but surely the others are gonna put up their swim/bike's a bit more and battle off the front and push each other on further.

1 - Steffen
    2 - Ryf
    3 - Swallow
    4 - Carfrae
    5 - Joyce

I think this year looks like anything can happen.
    Should be a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Steffen and Kienle get my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Starykowicz to have a 10 min lead from Kienle out of T2, run a 2:58 and hold on by 15 seconds :-) Ok, Frodeno.. Dark horse, Bevan Docherty.
    Ryf or Joyce (heart Joyce, head Ryf)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

speedyj wrote: »
    Starykowicz to have a 10 min lead from Kienle out of T2, run a 2:58 and hold on by 15 seconds :-) Ok, Frodeno.. Dark horse, Bevan Docherty.
    Ryf or Joyce (heart Joyce, head Ryf)

For a cvnt like Starykowicz to win would be disastrous.

tunney wrote: »
    For a cvnt like Starykowicz to win would be disastrous.

I can just imagine the finish line announcement:

Here comes our race leader...Star...I mean our winner currently in 2nd place approaching the line ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »
    I can just imagine the finish line announcement:

Here comes our race leader...Star...I mean our winner currently in 2nd place approaching the line ... :rolleyes:

"QUICK SOMEONE JUMP IN FRONT OF HIM."

bopperr wrote: »
    Joyce in the womens, Frodeno in the mens.

I am changing my mind to rinny for the womens. Looking back at last year she actually won this in a stroll. Only Ryf can possibly put it up to her and that is only because she is an unknown quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Predictions for Top Irish Age grouper?

• Advertisement

For Tunney:

About 1:02 in on the Tuesday video for Starykowicz.

http://www.babbittville.com/breakfast-from-kona/

Thinks he can win with a 3:05 marathon...
    And accepts some guys can run 2:40's...
    Or even lower like Frodo.

Last year he was 21st OA with a 4:21 and a 3:25 marathon (8:43).
    Kienle and McKenzie biked 4:22 and ran 2:57/2:58 for 2nd/3rd places.

So expect Starykowicz to really put his bike on the line on Saturday.

Will defo make the race interesting as the others decide how hard to go or to let him off. That's if he can outbike the likes of Kienle/Frommhold/McKenzie by much.

Owen Martin
    Mariusz Olenijcak
    Declan Doyle
    Martin Muldoon

• Registered Users Posts: 7 somebody.else

Overcook the bike?

Overcook the bike?

Ironically I would class all the likely top ag'ers as runners with proven strong runs off the bike so would completely disagree to overcooking the bike chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 somebody.else

Perhaps, I suppose they do say third fourth fifth times a charm!

fair chance my long spin this weekend is going to be a turbo based one saturday night. might end up being while i watch this. can think of worse ways to do it. should provide lots of motivation if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Fazz wrote: »
    Owen Martin
    Mariusz Olenijcak
    Declan Doyle
    Martin Muldoon

Could be very close between Owen and Mariusz, my money is on Mariusz. Owen has serious experience but Mariusz could outrun him, both definitely have the ability to run under 3; but looks like its seriously hot out there this year so experience could win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Odds suggest there's nothing at all between Frodeno, Van Lierde, Keinle and Rana, then comes a second group of Docherty, Llanos, Jacobs and O'Donnell.

Carfrae is odds on in the Womens race - bizzare! Steffan 3rd favorite but at 5/1 isn't going to make you rick

• Advertisement

if the doc isn't over talking her, ryf is going to take some beating. he's mentioning course record bike split as a real target

if that's the case, rinny getting off the bike with a hell of a chase on her hands could make for a killer race...:)

Advertisement