Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alive! Newspaper.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Ahh I forgot our dog is a militant atheist and LGBT rights activist. It's no wonder that that "paper" never gets seen in my hallway!

Best doggie ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/07/07/an-ostrich-is-not-a-dairy-cow/

Impeccable logic and reasoning in the current issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Impeccable logic and reasoning in the current issue.

I love how kids are now "optional extras", as if marriages were previously annulled if the couple couldn't have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"And once the link between marriage and children is broken, then marriage will soon be regarded as an optional extra to having children"

Soon Ireland will be flooded with co-habiting couples 'living in sin' and brazen hussy 'single mothers'! Luckily 'Barely Alive!' is in a 1955 timewarp where it may still be possible to prevent this happening!!!

The rest of it reads like a bad case of Oul' Wan Hyperbole:

Elderly Lady: Hello Father, did you hear about the whistle being stolen?
    Father Ted: Yes, I was--
    Elderly Lady: I never thought that I'd see the like. What next? Somebody will be murdered, and then where are we? Drive by shootings in the night, it'll be like Boys in the Hood. And then they'll have hooers selling their wares in the middle of the street and the pimps will be using crack cocaine to keep the hooers under control--' [Gun shot fires in background] '--I'm going home now Father to lock meself in the basement til they catch that fella. Good-bye to ye father.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Children are raised best by a married couple so we should prevent people from getting married?

Can someone point out the definition of marriage in Irish law? People kept going on about it but all I saw was a man and a woman can get married, nothing about they must have children within 3 years or the marriage becomes void.

The idea of marrying your children is worryingly common among Christians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The idea of marrying your children is worryingly common among Christians.

It seems to be a last-ditch argument thrown about when all else has failed, even though it's easily debunked.

"What's to stop a man marrying his son, or two male friends getting married, just so they save money on tax?"
    "The same thing that currently stops a man from marrying his daughter, or male/female friends from getting married just so they save money on tax."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bad Horse wrote: »
    It seems to be a last-ditch argument thrown about when all else has failed, even though it's easily debunked.

"What's to stop a man marrying his son, or two male friends getting married, just so they save money on tax?"
    "The same thing that currently stops a man from marrying his daughter, or male/female friends from getting married just so they save money on tax."

This was trotted out by David Quinn in the dying days of the marriage equality campaign. He said he had contacted the powers that be who had confirmed that marriage equality would mean that two men or women, regardless of their sexual orientation, would be able to marry if the referendum was passed even if they weren't in love and could avail of the tax benefits. This misses the point that men and women could always marry each other, for any reasons whatsoever, as long as they stayed within the laws. I was never asked if I was in love with my now husband or were we just friends getting married to save money on tax. We were two people who met all the criteria for getting married in Ireland at the time and that was all the information the HSE needed.

lazygal wrote: »
    This was trotted out by David Quinn in the dying days of the marriage equality campaign. He said he had contacted the powers that be who had confirmed that marriage equality would mean that two men or women, regardless of their sexual orientation, would be able to marry if the referendum was passed even if they weren't in love and could avail of the tax benefits. This misses the point that men and women could always marry each other, for any reasons whatsoever, as long as they stayed within the laws. I was never asked if I was in love with my now husband or were we just friends getting married to save money on tax. We were two people who met all the criteria for getting married in Ireland at the time and that was all the information the HSE needed.

Aye, he claimed it was okay if male/female friends got married for tax purposes because it's still "implied" that the marriage would be consummated, which is a greater leap of logic than "The communion bread literally becomes the body of Christ, but it still retains the physical properties of bread so isn't suitable for coeliacs"

Bad Horse wrote: »
    Aye, he claimed it was okay if male/female friends got married for tax purposes because it's still "implied" that the marriage would be consummated, which is a greater leap of logic than "The communion bread literally becomes the body of Christ, but it still retains the physical properties of bread so isn't suitable for coeliacs"

We should never have done away with hanging out the bloody sheets after a wedding, in other words. And of course all women who are friends with men are only dying to consummate the relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.
    I think its a don't ask/don't tell kinda thing, unless you want an annulment. And we all know teh gheys can't consummate anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Sooo....Alive gets shoved in my letterbox the other day, and there's a photo of Kate Winslet on the front, and inside an article stating that she amongst others has signed an open letter to Amnesty International; condemning them because apparently now Amnesty are supporting the killing of babies and people trafficking... For sh1ts and giggles I googled Kate Winslet's agent and fired off an email asking if they were aware that this rag was using their clients picture and name in this way. Yesterday, I got an email from Kate Winslet's PR woman, asking for details of the paper so they could look into it. Wouldn't it be peachy if Alive got slapped with a weighty legal challenge from a big PR firm!? :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nikpmup wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be peachy if Alive got slapped with a weighty legal challenge from a big PR firm!? :P

We can only hope!
    Would be no harm alright, I'd imagine few hundred k of a legal challenge might put them out of business with any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Cabaal wrote: »
    We can only hope!
    Would be no harm alright, I'd imagine few hundred k of a legal challenge might put them out of business with any luck.

I asked if they'd let me know the outcome, I'll post any more details I get. Fun! Nov/Dec issue will be worth a read :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

nikpmup wrote: »
    . For sh1ts and giggles I googled Kate Winslet's agent and fired off an email asking if they were aware that this rag was using their clients picture and name in this way. Yesterday, I got an email from Kate Winslet's PR woman, asking for details of the paper so they could look into it. Wouldn't it be peachy if Alive got slapped with a weighty legal challenge from a big PR firm!? :P

Kudos to you sir/madam, admirable initiative. They really are the lowest of the low, these guys. Would love to know where they get their funding from.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/11/03/godwins-law-alive-and-well/
    Catholic Church paper “Alive!” compares journalists to Auschwitz staff #repealthe8th

CS4q3IIXIAACXsm.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Lordy, lordy - Alive comes out against somebody who facilitated the Holocaust. Presumably Adolf Eichmann should have been off the hook - so to speak - as well?

Anything good in Alive this month?

CUgPbE-W4AEZ0MQ.jpg

Read all about it
    http://www.alive.ie/uploads/6/5/1/1/6511516/alive__nov_2015.pdf (page 4)

Want to be entertained without leaving your sofa? No problem. Netflix has got you covered. (Just keep the “and chill” part for marriage).

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Just leave out anything with a strong female lead...or pretty much anything without a devout Catholic male lead, actually.

• Advertisement

Anything good in Alive this month?
    A cracking poem contra secularists whom the author seems to conflate with pro-choice, pro-EU, pro-marriage equality atheists:
    Alive wrote:
    They'll travel the earth to help the forlorn,
    But won't lift a finger to save the unborn.
    They say it's a 'right' to kill a child in the womb,
    But refuse to hear the silent scream in the room.
    On radio and TV they give one side of a debate,
    No voice from Catholics whom they fear and hate.
    If you don't vote their way in deceitful referenda,
    They'll run them again - it's the EU agenda.
    They love using words like 'equality' and 'diversity',
    And impose their thinking in the school and university.
    They think it's normal for two women to wed,
    Or a man to make himself female instead.
    They invent new terms for murder and perversion,
    Their only hope is prayer and conversion.
    So we'll light a candle for these wretches then,
    And may Amazing Grace save them, Amen.
    Almost opposite this ad, btw:
    Alive wrote:
    LAMB scales, sheep dipping tubs. Everything supplied for handling sheep nationwide, BTG Esmonde Machinery. 0402 37182.
    WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Flocks don't tend themselves

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Flocks don't tend themselves

Only sheep need a shepherd.

Liveline!

http://www.rte.ie/cspodcasts/media.mp3?c1=2&c2=16951747&ns_site=test&ns_type=clickin&rte_vs_ct=aud&rte_vs_sc=pod&rte_mt_sec=radio&rte_vs_sn=radio1&rte_mt_pub_dt=2016-04-11&rte_mt_prg_name=test-liveline&title=Article%20in%20Alive!%20Newspaper&c7=http%3A%2F%2Fpodcast.rasset.ie%2Fpodcasts%2Faudio%2F2016%2F0411%2F20160411_rteradio1-liveline-articleina_c20967476_20967478_232_drm_.mp3&r=http%3A%2F%2Fpodcast.rasset.ie%2Fpodcasts%2Faudio%2F2016%2F0411%2F20160411_rteradio1-liveline-articleina_c20967476_20967478_232_drm_.mp3
    Mary told Joe she was appalled at a headline in the current issue of Alive magazine: ‘Study finds smacked children more successful in life.’ Fr Brian McKevitt, editor of Alive, joined Joe and other listeners to discuss.

Good old alive saying good things about something that is illegal in Ireland, on the subject of abusing other humans next we'll have a catholic archbishop claiming women get beaten by their husbands because they don't obey them....oh wait that already happened this week :(
    A Catholic archbishop in Spain is causing controversy by implying that women are primarily to blame for domestic violence.

Archbishop Braulio Rodriguez Plaza of Toledo told his congregation on Dec. 27 that domestic violence mainly occurs when a woman asks her husband for divorce, reports The Local.

sighhh

Whats worrying about Brian McKevitt, editor of Alive viewpoint is he believes being secular (not connected with religious or spiritual matters) means you are part of a religion which he calls a secular religion.

There's just no reasoned discussion you can have with such a deluded individual like that. He also believes parents should be able to beat their children. He also went and played the victim card during the podcast claiming Alive is the victim of an attack. Pretty pathetic.

Whats worrying about Brian McKevitt, editor of Alive viewpoint is he believes being secular (not connected with religious or spiritual matters) means you are part of a religion which he calls a secular religion.
    In this, McKevitt takes on more and more of the personality of Douglas Adams' 'Electric Monk' - a being whose sole purpose in life is to believe things regardless, or perhaps because of, of how unreal they are.

One could perorate to one's grave without ever convincing McKevitt, his colleagues and followers that "secular" does not mean "atheist", but in fact, that the state does not take sides in religious matters.

Anything good in Alive this week?

Screen-Shot-2016-06-28-at-10.17.12-578x1024.png

The Catholics stay in the garden?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/06/28/anything-good-in-alive-4/

Anything good in Alive this week?

The Catholics stay in the garden?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/06/28/anything-good-in-alive-4/

Of course not. Don't be ridiculous.

They mean there's enough garden space for a Child of Prague, a buried upside-down St.Joseph statue, and enough St.Benedict medals in the foundations for 1-2 Catholics.

It's no wonder house building costs are going up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Even that bit of wood is saddened by reading Alive!

Advertisement