Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alive! Newspaper.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You're last name isn't Flanders is it?

No ,it diddedly-isn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nodin wrote: »
    I have never eaten pizza.
    Well, what did you do with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dina-Goldstein-Art/414446595787?fref=nf

alive! have used an american artist's photo without permission on their front page. the editor was confused, thought she'd be delighted with her work being used, but obviously forgot he'd had a pop at her work in an article inside.

[...] used an american artist's photo without permission [...]
    The religious really don't seem to get this copyright thing at all, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You'd think that Legatus money would come in handy for licensing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

robindch wrote: »

God owns everything. They're his chosen people, therefore....

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

robindch wrote: »

Given they seem to struggle with the concepts of right and wrong this should hardly be a surprise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The use of that stock image of the extremely LGBT-friendly family on the No campaign poster wasn't exactly a very clever move either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Bad Horse wrote: »
    #SeparationOfFruitAndPizza

No tomatoes? So you really just want an open ham and cheese sandwich.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dina-Goldstein-Art/414446595787?fref=nf

alive! have used an american artist's photo without permission on their front page. the editor was confused, thought she'd be delighted with her work being used, but obviously forgot he'd had a pop at her work in an article inside.

Catholic publication Alive threatened with legal action over misuse of image
    Ms Goldstein said: “My work was deliberately manipulated into forming a criticism about parents who do not promote religion within the household.”

Insisting that she “could not disagree more” with the views expressed in Alive as to the consequences of not promoting religion at home, Ms Goldstein said that the sentiments expressed in the article linked with her work are “seething with the classic Catholic guilt-trip” that she rejects.
    Explaining that she has chosen to raise her children “with tradition and without religion”, she said: “It’s insulting as well as dishonest of them [Alive] to use my artwork in this way.”

“I phoned the Alive office, left my contact information, and a message stating that I had been made aware that my image was published on the cover without my permission,” she said. “I also hired an attorney to file a formal complaint, ask Alive to pulp what they have in their possession, issue an apology in the next issue, and pay punitive damages.”

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The use of that stock image of the extremely LGBT-friendly family on the No campaign poster wasn't exactly a very clever move either!

Not the same thing. They were entitled to use that and the couple in it couldn't stop them. This time is copyright based. The artist has every right to object to its use.

Orion wrote: »
    They were entitled to use that and the couple in it couldn't stop them.
    Wasn't quite as simple as that - they'd done a favour for a photographer friend, the friend had uploaded the images to multiple sites - some didn't permit political usage, some did - the images were paid for, presumably the photographer made some cash, the model family on the other hand, didn't and got their images associated with Quinn and friends.

The photographer should have been more careful and so should the family. And whoever did the graphic design for the "No" side should have checked out the models too, even if only to avoid problems like what happened. And regardless of those problems, the "No" side could have used some "real" faces - it seems peculiar that amongst the 37% who voted "no", not a single person seemed very enthusiastic about having their family associated with Quinn and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It is even simpler than you make out. Their friend was starting out in the business and they agreed to sit for portraits and signed over the rights for them to be used as stock photos in exchange. So they essentially did get paid - in a free professional portrait session. Stock photography is big business and they are used extensively for brochures, pamphlets, leaflets etc. Nobody using a stock photo is going to check the provenance of it - there is no need to - they are stock photos. And the subject of the photos has already signed over the rights for them to be used - at that point they lose the right to prevent it being used for any particular purpose if they didn't include it in the contract at the beginning.

On the other hand Alive didn't use a stock photo archive company - they stole their one.

Source: Irish Times
    "The family said that in 2014 they did a shoot with a family friend who is a photographer to get some shots for their family album.
    “No money was exchanged - we got nice photos for free, they got nice images for their portfolio. As part of this agreement, we agreed to let them upload them to a stock photo album,” they explained.
    “We knew that these were available for purchase and we gave permission. Perhaps, naïvely, we imagined that on the off chance that any was ever selected, it might be for a small magazine or website.
    “To confirm, we have not received any money for the photo - then or now, and nor do we expect any.”

Do people actually get this in their letterboxes ? I've never seen it as I live in a heathen area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Every few months. And there's also pile of them in the local shopping centre. alongside the local freesheets.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Do people actually get this in their letterboxes ? I've never seen it as I live in a heathen area :)

Yep. Not that frequently. But the delivery-person is a freaking ninja as I never catch them when I spot it dropped through the letterbox. :(:P:P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Would be amazing if someone made a Terry Pratchett style parody of Alive called "Dead". It could feature articles promoting the hardline views of zombies and other undead looking for equal rights with the living.

Remember, "Inside Every Living Person Is A Dead Person Waiting To Get Out!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Nodin wrote: »
    I have never eaten pizza.

Me neither - nor will I ever eat it. It's the work of satan if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong, I do like his early stuff and all that:) - but pizza is a step too far. Vile, disgusting & unfit for human consumption, in my humble but unswayable opinion.:mad:

As for Alive! - I love it. Always gives me a giggle, I especially like the Dumbag Writes section. It reminds me of the part in every james bond film where the villain outlines his evil plan - why do villians continue to do this? I keep my evil plans to myself - I find they work better that way!

Would be amazing if someone made a Terry Pratchett style parody of Alive called "Dead".
    Or a parody called "A Lie" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How can you parody something that is already out-on-a-limb ridiculous? You wouldn't know the difference.

• Advertisement

SW wrote: »
    Yep. Not that frequently. But the delivery-person is a freaking ninja as I never catch them when I spot it dropped through the letterbox. :(:P:P

I think they just know not to call to my house! I've noticed the parish priest gives us a skip too.

Mostly I get wandering artists trying to sell paintings and Airtricity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

looksee wrote: »
    How can you parody something that is already out-on-a-limb ridiculous? You wouldn't know the difference.

This is known as Poe's Law.

I would love if someone started an Alive! parody. I'd even do my best to help write/format articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I have been getting this Alive mag in my letterbox for about a year now, always seems to be late in the evening, never seem to hear it been dropped in only seem to notice when it is too late, I have been trying to catch who is delivering it as I want them to stop, it always goes in the recycling bin straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I have been getting this Alive mag in my letterbox for about a year now, always seems to be late in the evening, never seem to hear it been dropped in only seem to notice when it is too late, I have been trying to catch who is delivering it as I want them to stop, it always goes in the recycling bin straight away

It could actually be quite useful if you keep birds. Newspaper is also great for cleaning windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm always excited when it comes through the letterbox, but my excitement always turns into depression as I read the thing. I can't believe a minority of people are actually influenced and/or believe this crap.

looksee wrote: »

It could work .... I've read several Waterford Whispers articles where I've had to remind myself that it's satire ... supposedly. :)

I wonder would:

"Unaddressed mail placed into this letterbox is subject to a €12.95 administration and recycling charge"'

Be legally enforceable?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm always excited when it comes through the letterbox, but my excitement always turns into depression as I read the thing. I can't believe a minority of people are actually influenced and/or believe this crap.

Same here, as well as an equal measure of frustration because you just can't reason with them. I honestly think the people who suck up Nearly Dead!'s bullshit are a communion wafer's width away from the Saudi government when it comes to matters of church and state.

Same here, as well as an equal measure of frustration because you just can't reason with them. I honestly think the people who suck up Nearly Dead!'s bullshit are a communion wafer's width away from the Saudi government when it comes to matters of church and state.

What worries me is that they think that their beliefs should override democracy and for a long period of Irish history they were successful in that objective. They still are in education and areas of health provision.

I'm not really sure how theocratic ideology of rule by God and post enlightenment democracies quite fit together to be honest. You can't have it both ways.

In a republic the people are sovereign and that's it really. Your personal beliefs are your personal beliefs. A lot of the old school religious fundamentalists of all flavours simply do not agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is known as Poe's Law.

I would love if someone started an Alive! parody. I'd even do my best to help write/format articles.

Thanks for that! (honestly :) !) I had not heard of it before!

Advertisement