Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

cloud493 wrote: »
    This is out of the cinema now, the blu rays released in a month.

In London so still showing in Odeons ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Alright for some :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

I watched the film over the weekend, and still can't figure out how come it has 8 rating on IMDB. it was alright, I mean good, but not that good.

Another Mark Millar adaptation that just doesn't work, much like Kick Ass Kingsman is a film which sets out to both poke fun at and homage a genre and just ends up a violent, foul mouthed and over long mess. There's a number of truly great moments, the church shoot out is fantastic and the older elements of the cast Firth and Strong are great but tonally it never quite sits right and the film runs out of steam well before the 2 hour mark.

Jackson proves once again that he's not an actor as once again he shows up and plays the same role he's embodied for two decades. Egerton isn't bad but he struggles with some of the aspects of his role and the final R rated James Bond gag is distasteful and out of place. Kingsman could have been a little bit special had it either managed to tone down the wild antics or turn them up to 11. As it stands it's an average film that feels like something knocked out over a weekend in the 60s in order to cash in on the Bond films, though even then the truly awful Green Screen work would have been laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

It's one of those leave your brain at the door kind of films. I enjoyed it for what it was.

• Advertisement

After watching Kingsman I threw on Johnni To's Cheung foh or as it's know over here The Mission. It's a minimalist thriller with some of the most effortlessly cool action sequence sever put on film and they really show up films such as Kingsman for the bargain basement fare that they are. There's no doubt that Vaughn is a truly talented film maker but he needs to start working with stronger writers. The church sequence in Kingsman is by all rights one of the more enjoyable set pieces of the year but like so many it suffers from an over reliance on CGI and as such it doesn't have the impact it should. It looks and feel clinical, it's too clean and shiny and the lack of blood really lets it down. Action films need that grit, they need to be dark and dirty in order to work and unfortunately far too many modern action sequences look like they've been cobbled together on a PC.

Just compare the simplicity of these two action sequences to anything in Kingsman. They're murky, dark, violent and the stakes are high whereas in the Kingsman the action just feels far too safe and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

After watching Kingsman I threw on Johnni To's Cheung foh or as it's know over here The Mission. It's a minimalist thriller with some of the most effortlessly cool action sequence sever put on film and they really show up films such as Kingsman for the bargain basement fare that they are. There's no doubt that Vaughn is a truly talented film maker but he needs to start working with stronger writers. The church sequence in Kingsman is by all rights one of the more enjoyable set pieces of the year but like so many it suffers from an over reliance on CGI and as such it doesn't have the impact it should. It looks and feel clinical, it's too clean and shiny and the lack of blood really lets it down. Action films need that grit, they need to be dark and dirty in order to work and unfortunately far too many modern action sequences look like they've been cobbled together on a PC.

Just compare the simplicity of these two action sequences to anything in Kingsman. They're murky, dark, violent and the stakes are high whereas in the Kingsman the action just feels far too safe and comfortable.

Just different movies , we can like them all

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I watched this last night and have to say i enjoyed it. Firth really makes the film and ill echo again yhe church scene is probably the most entertained i have been watching a film since the final half hour of the raid 2.

A couple of lines were cracking but Jackson was IMO completely miscast and i reckon it would have been brilliant had DiCaprio worked out which i believe was the orginal idea.

I'm a huge fan of Strong too and thought he was underused a bit.

marienbad wrote: »
    Just different movies , we can like them all

No one is saying we can't but when you compare The Mission with Kingsman you recognise just how neutered Kingsman is. There's never a sense of danger to any of it and it's all played so safe that there is never any doubt that our hero will save the day and walk away unscathed. It makes for a rather dull tale where we simply jump from one set piece to the next, and good as they are there are never any stakes to them. The church set piece is a lot of fun but it's so clinical that it's more cartoonish than realistic.

No one is saying we can't but when you compare The Mission with Kingsman you recognise just how neutered Kingsman is. There's never a sense of danger to any of it and it's all played so safe that there is never any doubt that our hero will save the day and walk away unscathed. It makes for a rather dull tale where we simply jump from one set piece to the next, and good as they are there are never any stakes to them. The church set piece is a lot of fun but it's so clinical that it's more cartoonish than realistic.

But our hero didn't walk away unscathed :)

• Advertisement

Pretty sure out hero did, yes his mentor did die but that was obvious from the very moment we first met him.

Pretty sure out hero did, yes his mentor did die but that was obvious from the very moment we first met him.

There can be more than one ! And in this age of sequels it wasn't obvious to me or my 12 year old grandson , we were in shock !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thanks for spoiling that. Watched half of it last night and was intending to watch the other half tonight. What I saw I enjoyed.

There can be more than one ! And in this age of sequels it wasn't obvious to me or my 12 year old grandson , we were in shock !

Really, you didn't see that death coming a mile off? It was obvious from pretty early on that there would be some form of passing the torch and as such that a certain pivotal death was obvious. Much of the film was built around the relationship between the two and there needed to be something which would drive our lead. I also don't get your "in this age of sequels" remark, there's more original films coming out every year than ever before and you do realise that Kingsman was made so as to kickstart a franchise and pump out sequel after sequel.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

syklops wrote: »
    Thanks for spoiling that. Watched half of it last night and was intending to watch the other half tonight. What I saw I enjoyed.

FWIW all talk that he's coming back for the sequel should it happen

Really, you didn't see that death coming a mile off? It was obvious from pretty early on that there would be some form of passing the torch and as such that a certain pivotal death was obvious. Much of the film was built around the relationship between the two and there needed to be something which would drive our lead. I also don't get your "in this age of sequels" remark, there's more original films coming out every year than ever before and you do realise that Kingsman was made so as to kickstart a franchise and pump out sequel after sequel.

I believe efforts are underway to resurrect the fallen hero in any sequel , which proves my point .

I believe efforts are underway to resurrect the fallen hero in any sequel , which proves my point .

If anything it proves my point that in films such as this the action isn't all that interesting given that there are no stakes in play. We saw something similar happen in The Avengers where a character was killed off only for the sad pathetic cries of fan boys to be met with a studio pandering to appease them.

If anything it proves my point that in films such as this the action isn't all that interesting given that there are no stakes in play. We saw something similar happen in The Avengers where a character was killed off only for the sad pathetic cries of fan boys to be met with a studio pandering to appease them.

Ha ha ,you are taking it too seriously , it is a comicbook escapist piece of fun .

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But Samuel L. was always going to play it like!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Strong too and thought he was underused a bit.

Too often the case. He's invariably superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Had zero expectations for this and was pleasantly surprised, the initial pub sequence and the training water scenes were very well done, would recommend for a watch for anyone who hasnt seen it, v enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I quite liked this film.
    It was a lot of fun.

I can see why the 'princess' scene at the end put some people off, but didn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I quite liked this film.
    It was a lot of fun.

I can see why the 'princess' scene at the end put some people off, but didn't bother me.

It put people off?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

It put people off?

The right-on set & kermodes of the world werent impressed.
    I remember small accusations of misogyny at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is anyone else seeing mad hype for the DVD release, like more than there was for the cinema release?

On demand services, streaming services and others seem to have it plastered everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

It was pretty amusing, not sure I'd bother watching it again but it was fine.

Thought it was funny that it ended with a dedication to his mother, considering the last scene of the movie was basically a poor taste anal sex joke.

Have a bit of class for Christ sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

It was pretty amusing, not sure I'd bother watching it again but it was fine.

Thought it was funny that it ended with a dedication to his mother, considering the last scene of the movie was basically a poor taste anal sex joke.

Have a bit of class for Christ sake!

Enjoyed the film but completely agree. That last scene almost ruins the whole film. I'd have been impressed if she got him to open the door only to clobber him on the head or something.

It was sexist and offensive. Reducing 'the princess of Norway' to someone whose only worth was to be his Anal sex reward. Really let down what was a fantastically fun film otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Memnoch wrote:
    It was sexist and offensive. Reducing 'the princess of Norway' to someone whose only worth was to be his Anal sex reward. Really let down what was a fantastically fun film otherwise.

I think it's meant to be a dig at the Roger Moore Bond films which all ended with him in bed. I think it could've worked better but it came off more as an homage then a piss take.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The films it's paying homage too are all sexist and offensive by today's standards, the film makers were well aware of this with that scene I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The films it's paying homage too are all sexist and offensive by today's standards, the film makers were well aware of this with that scene I think.

Except their execution of the scene rendered moot any attempt to make light of these ideas.

Advertisement