Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That is true :P
    Maybe its just that kingsman is fresher, but I enjoyed it more than kick-ass. Maybe I should watch kick-ass again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

e_e wrote: »
    Baffled by this nearly getting an 18 rating (hell it's even 16 here). The film's violence to me was more just a few dollops of CGI blood away from a 12A.

I rating is more to do with the nature of the violence rather than amount of blood. The IFCO website says it's because of the
    Frequent very strong and gory violence. Brief strong sex references.

It's a 15 in the UK because
    ViolenceThere are a number of highly stylised choreographed fight scenes that are distanced from more brutal and realistic portrayals of violence. The fighting involves the use of weapons such as guns, knives, axes, explosive devices and prosthetic legs fashioned as razor-sharp blades. The action in these scenes is fast-paced and rapidly-edited, and although the violence is strong and bloody there is no lingering focus on pain and injury. Bloody injury detail is also present in the aftermath of violent incidents but this is again not dwelt upon to any undue extent.
    LanguageThere is frequent use of strong language ('f**k', 'motherf**ker'). Other terms include 'wanker, '****, 'tits, 'whores' and the discriminatory terms, '******' and 'fag'.
    The film also contains strong sex references.

I think it's fair enough. When you consider that Die Hard was an 18 in its day it's actually shows how far we've come that this got a lower rating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

We tried to bring the Grandson last night and were astonished to find it rated 16 . American Sniper is rated 16 A and we were offered tickets for that, which we took. And as the ushers were looking the other way we strolled into Kingsman to find a load of other under 16's crouching down anxiously waiting for the film to start.

I ,for the life of me could not understanding the rating , stylised violence like in Kingsman is not nearly as bad as American Sniper. It is no worse than any video game kids are playing everyday.

So I can only assume it is our obsession with sex again is the reason for this absurd rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Just back from this, really enjoyed it. Its soo goofy, once you accept that, sit back and enjoy the silly stylishly skillfully choreographed and shot fighting scenes. Not as good as kick ass, but enjoyable non the less

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

marienbad wrote: »
    So I can only assume it is our obsession with sex again is the reason for this absurd rating.

Hardly, unless I missed something, a Bond film would have more sex scenes. The Princess parts are funny,
    there's obviously only one reason she's in it, no bones about it.

Tbh I liked the exploding heads and the church scene, do we really need it spelt out for us? It's obviously so tongue in cheek anyway I found it suited the style of the film.

I loved it, the Money for Nothing intro had me sold from the start.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

K-9 wrote: »
    The Princess parts
    obviously so tongue in cheek

latest?cb=20121105211921

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't call the 16 rating absurd, although comic it is quite violent and one particular scene - we all know which one - is fairly graphic.

Could it have been 15A? Probably. Is the 16 rating as baffling as people are making out? Not at all.

Just back from it myself and I really enjoyed it. A totally ludicrous film from start to finish.

I wouldn't call the 16 rating absurd, although comic it is quite violent and one particular scene - we all know which one - is fairly graphic.

Could it have been 15A? Probably. Is the 16 rating as baffling as people are making out? Not at all.

Just back from it myself and I really enjoyed it. A totally ludicrous film from start to finish.

I find it completely baffling in the context that American Sniper is 16a.

I find it completely baffling in the context that American Sniper is 16a.

American Sniper is 15A and considering the content I find the rating of 15A entirely appropriate.

Kingsmen features action sequences in which people are graphically killed using axes, stakes, knives, etc. Yes, it's comic in style and tone, but it is nonetheless visually graphic - there is no escaping that fact. I would have considered 15A sufficient, but 16 is hardly absurd and it was way too violent and featured too much coarse language to be a 12A film.

You say 'It is no worse than any video game kids are playing everyday'. You do realize that those games you're most likely talking about - Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, etc - are 18 rated games also?

It's up to parents what 12 and 13 years old play on their consoles as well as what they watch, but games carry ratings also.

American Sniper is 15A and considering the content I find the rating of 15A entirely appropriate.

Kingsmen features action sequences in which people are graphically killed using axes, stakes, knives, etc. Yes, it's comic in style and tone, but it is nonetheless visually graphic - there is no escaping that fact. I would have considered 15A sufficient, but 16 is hardly absurd and it was way too violent and featured too much coarse language to be a 12A film.

You say 'It is no worse than any video game kids are playing everyday'. You do realize that those games you're most likely talking about - Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, etc - are 18 rated games also?

It's up to parents what 12 and 13 years old play on their consoles as well as what they watch, but games carry ratings also.

The fact that Kingsman is all so stylised makes all the difference ,exploding heads more like fire works displays -come on !

American Sniper is a far more adult film .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Saw The Interview today and was surprised how much more brutal and bloody the action in that film was.

The fact that Kingsman is all so stylised makes all the difference ,exploding heads more like fire works displays -come on!

American Sniper is a far more adult film .

Film censors can't rate a film just on tone.

A film censors job is to rate a film based on the content within and whether or not that content is suitable for particular age groups. Leeway is afforded of course when a film is tongue in cheek, has historical merit, so on and so forth but for the most part, a film is judged on the content within its run time. Violence, profanity, sex/nudity.

Something being comic, tongue in cheek, animated, or however-further-detached-away-from-reality you want it to be, does not give it a free pass in terms of content.

Once again, you've ignored the fact that there is are scenes within the movie that features graphic killing by axe, impalement, knives, amongst other weapons; not to mention very frequent coarse language. That the film does not have a serious tone or feel does not detract from the fact that these scenes exist. They can be afforded leeway given the style of the film but not ignored.

And you think kids of 12+ should be able to watch such features? Your logic seems to be unrealistic graphic violence = grand for kids of all ages. What about Kick-Ass? What about the first Expendables movie? Both hyper-violent movies with coarse language but a similar lack of sex/nudity - but about as detached from reality as Kingsmen is. Should these be 12's as well?

As stated I think it would have been fine at 15A but in no world would any censor rate it below that.

Film censors can't rate a film just on tone.

A film censors job is to rate a film based on the content within and whether or not that content is suitable for particular age groups. Leeway is afforded of course when a film is tongue in cheek, has historical merit, so on and so forth but for the most part, a film is judged on the content within its run time. Violence, profanity, sex/nudity.

Something being comic, tongue in cheek, animated, or however-further-detached-away-from-reality you want it to be, does not give it a free pass in terms of content.

Once again, you've ignored the fact that there is are scenes within the movie that features graphic killing by axe, impalement, knives, amongst other weapons; not to mention very frequent coarse language. That the film does not have a serious tone or feel does not detract from the fact that these scenes exist. They can be afforded leeway given the style of the film but not ignored.

And you think kids of 12+ should be able to watch such features? Your logic seems to be unrealistic graphic violence = grand for kids of all ages. What about Kick-Ass? What about the first Expendables movie? Both hyper-violent movies with coarse language but a similar lack of sex/nudity - but about as detached from reality as Kingsmen is. Should these be 12's as well?

As stated I think it would have been fine at 15A but in no world would any censor rate it below that.

Condescend much ! Read my posts again - I said I found it strange that American Sniper was rated so that a 12 year old accompanied by an adult was admitted, and Kingsman was rated higher . No more no less - I found
    American Sniper a much more disturbing film than Kingsman and so did the 12 year old that accompanied me to both.

And as a personal opinion I believe that there should be as little censorship as possible and it is up to the parents to decide .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

And as a personal opinion I believe that there should be as little censorship as possible and it is up to the parents to decide .

Of all movies to pick to suggest this, you chose Kingsman? It seems to me this is the one parents would have made the biggest mistake. When I watched the trailers I thought this film would be childish and juvenile, if I was a parent I'd have been okay with my kid going. But then it was filled with violence and anal sex references.

Parents don't have time to watch every movie and see what their kids should watch and what they shouldn't. The censorship acts as a good guideline and I'm usually okay when a film is rated for an older audience.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Of all movies to pick to suggest this, you chose Kingsman? It seems to me this is the one parents would have made the biggest mistake. When I watched the trailers I thought this film would be childish and juvenile, if I was a parent I'd have been okay with my kid going. But then it was filled with violence and anal sex references.

Parents don't have time to watch every movie and see what their kids should watch and what they shouldn't. The censorship acts as a good guideline and I'm usually okay when a film is rated for an older audience.

You mustn't know many 12 year olds ,they know more at their age than I did at 18 !

It is filled with cartoon speeded up violence . American Sniper is deadly serious . I don't have a problem with sexual references , why we rate that higher than violence is a conundrum to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭bren2001

You mustn't know many 12 year olds ,they know more at their age than I did at 18 !

It is filled with cartoon speeded up violence . American Sniper is deadly serious . I don't have a problem with sexual references , why we rate that higher than violence is a conundrum to me.

What rating would you have given Kingman then? Both ratings felt pretty ok to me. You seem to be arguing over 15A or 16. The only difference being, kids can see one with a guardian and cannot for the other (leave aside the year gap).

bren2001 wrote: »
    What rating would you have given Kingman then? Both ratings felt pretty ok to me. You seem to be arguing over 15A or 16. The only difference being, kids can see one with a guardian and cannot for the other (leave aside the year gap).

Yeah that is the disconnect for me , American Sniper is a far more adult film.

I would let a 12 year old into any film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Saw this today. Absolutely loved it. Will probably go see it again in the cinema and pick it up on DVD when it's released. I can see myself watching it again and again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I thought this was pure rubbish. Left 40 mins before the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really enjoyed this … at the time.

However the thrill diminished fairly quickly once I'd left the cinema. Two or three standout scenes (that doesn't really do them justice) but the rest I found fairly forgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Very silly film with some distractingly bad CGI in parts
    The end fight where blade-girl and Eggsy jumped at each other looked absolutely atrocious

I thought it was well enjoyable though, the church scene was definitely it's high point and hilariously over-the-top in a great way.

Never thought I'd find myself saying "Let's go to that Colin Firth film" and then following it up with "I really liked him in that"

Definitely a rewatchable film anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Opened well in the USA - a good example of counter-programming by the distributor its fair to say 42m over Thurs-Monday (est) about half the tally for you-know-what. Judging from the general vibe it looks like it could gain through word of mouth as much as marketing. Global tally just under 100m after two weekends in six markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I went and seen this today. Not bad. Some nice gadgets. The film was good, good story good acting and funny too just not as funny as I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yeah shades of the ol "austin powers " effect.

i vividly remember when it was the ONLY bloody option in the cinema as everyone and its granny ran away from going up against "titanic".

and just like that film i can see word of mouth helping it out greatly in the states.

:D

http://jellyfishpictures.co.uk/jellyfish-portfolio/the-secret-service/

Mention of a cool sounding deleted scene. Apparently there was 40 minutes of cuts/deleted scenes, love to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Thought this was ok but I just couldn't forget Millar's involvement to fully enjoy the silliness. He's just such a clumsy writer and I don't get the appeal that his work receives sometimes. Few scenes stuck out but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,189 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

well that was different !! perhaps a bit other the top silly, even for me. Thought I would have enjoyed that more

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Talk of a second one, yes please!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I thought this was pure rubbish. Left 40 mins before the end.

Thinking of heading to the cinema over the weekend to watch something brainless, is there any point going to see this if I've not liked too hated Millar's other films (don't mind ultra-violence but in a Predator/Dredd/The Raid style)

• Advertisement

Thinking of heading to the cinema over the weekend to watch something brainless, is there any point going to see this if I've not liked too hated Millar's other films (don't mind ultra-violence but in a Predator/Dredd/The Raid style)

This is out of the cinema now, the blu rays released in a month.

Advertisement