Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Options
  • 23-09-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

A new trailer has been posted for Matthew Vaughn's latest movie. To be honest, I will give anything he is involved in the time of day as I love his work.

Anyone else excited?

Comments

I really like Vaughn, the cast is great and the trailer is good fun but I despise Mark Millar and find his work to be the lowest common denominator crap you're likely to come across. Hopefully this will follow the trend of taking Millar's work and deviating hugely from the source material.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

New "red band" (18 cert) trailer is out:

Nothing like a bit of the ol' ultraviolence, isn't there? :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

saw it last night in VUE. Good film, some very funny and some very violent scenes. But overall good craic and worth seeing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'll give it a chance, but I can see it being terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I like Vaughns work but I think this will tank at the box office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The lead young actor Taron Egerton reminds me of Jack O'Connell whom he beat out for the role

It's another in the unending line of action films cut for a lower UK rating. Much like A Walk Among the Tombstones and The Equaliser, this is one ill be waiting till it hits VOD in the US as for some reason many of these cuts remain for the home release.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I really like Vaughn, the cast is great and the trailer is good fun but I despise Mark Millar and find his work to be the lowest common denominator crap you're likely to come across. Hopefully this will follow the trend of taking Millar's work and deviating hugely from the source material.

Millar to me is the other extreme to Grant Morrison. Morrison writes over complex stories which make sense to only him, whereas Millar writes blockbuster fluff. He has good ideas (Red Son, Kick-Ass, Ultimates) but too often his inner teenager fills in the rest of the story.

However sometimes the deviating from the source material turns out worse and you end up with Wanted.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Millar to me is the other extreme to Grant Morrison. Morrison writes over complex stories which make sense to only him, whereas Millar writes blockbuster fluff. He has good ideas (Red Son, Kick-Ass, Ultimates) but too often his inner teenager fills in the rest of the story.

However sometimes the deviating from the source material turns out worse and you end up with Wanted.

Wanted as a film is much better than the piece of crap comic. Millar is a terrible writer, no doubt he has good ideas but the execution is generally woeful and panders to the lowest common denominator. That many of his comics best ideas are suggested by other writers says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

It's another in the unending line of action films cut for a lower UK rating.

Do you have a link to this? I didn't see any stories about it being cut here.

• Advertisement

According to some people that have already seen the UK version, its plenty violent.

Otacon wrote: »
    Do you have a link to this? I didn't see any stories about it being cut here.

This is the BBFC statement on it:

UK: Passed 15 for strong bloody violence, strong language after BBFC advised pre-cuts for:
    2014 cinema release
    The BBFC commented:
    This film was originally seen for advice in an unfinished version. The company was informed the film was likely to be classified 18, but that their requested 15 could be achieved by making some reductions in scenes of violence. When the finished version was submitted for formal classification, reductions had been made and the film was passed 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

**** sake! I'm sick and tired of them censoring stuff to gain lower ratings. Then they wonder why no one wants to go to the cinema any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Looking forward next weekend to what MARV can DISH UP as opposed to MAR-VEL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Seen the unlimited screening of this last night, loved it from start to finish, highly entertaining, some great comedic characters in it and some top drawer OTT action sequences throughout..

I'd like to say better than expected but then I'd be damning with faint praise. Absolutely top film, superior to either kick-ass movie far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The Red Band trailer has me very interested. Love the crazy OTT action & violence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Seen it today. Loved it. Great action and very funny. The last 10 mins had me in stitches :D This is not the movie I expected when I first seen the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Good film well worth seeing it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Went to it yesterday.

Loved every minute of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's utter nonsense and I loved it. It's funny that it was edited to stop it getting a higher cert. In the 80's or 90's it would have been an 18's film as it is and none the worse for it. The pacing is great, the action sequences are brilliantly over the top and insanely violent. Even though it's chock full of cliches, I didn't mind at all, as it was just a fun ride from start to finish.

I've only read the first issue of the comic, and the film seems to differ in quite a few ways. One difference that I thought was very funny/clever is:
    in the film, the professor who is kidnapped is played by Mark Hamill and in the comic it's actually Mark Hamill himself who is kidnapped
    . I don't know why, but I found that to be a really funny idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Bacchus wrote: »
    The Red Band trailer has me very interested. Love the crazy OTT action & violence :)

Just watched the Red Band trailer. Its looks insane :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

great film with over the top action scenes especially the church scene. The scene during the credits was good too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Absolutely bonkers but great fun. I liked that it wasn't afraid to be a bit violent or throw a few f-bombs around. I think this is a slightly cut down version to achieve the 16 rating, would have loved to have seen it 18s and go all out, more movies need to do this! That said, this could easily have been cut further to make it 12s so I was happy with it.

Taron Egerton in the lead was excellent I thought and Firth, Strong, Jackson and Caine in support were all great too. I'd love to see this get a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Looking forward to seeing this on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Fcuking amazingly good movie imho, would go and see it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Fcuking amazingly good movie imho, would go and see it again :)

Agreed I'm a big fan of Mark Kermode after seen his review and him been sniffy about it, I was a little worried about it. But Mark was off form here, although I agree with him on the ending
    Eggsy gets to get anal of the Princess of Sweden was a little low brow
    . But that's the only thing I could complain about, its just a great all out action comedy in which Matthew Vaughan does as better then anyone.

Colin Firth is excellent as Harry Hart, he's clearly got his influence from his Co star Michael Caine's classic Harry Palmer trilogy in the 60's with his look. When his
    Death scene comes along its actually out of the blue and very shocking a bit like Nic Cage in Kick Ass
    . Taron Egerton as Eggsy is very Jack O'Connell like (he was passed on for the role for Egerton) but he's excellent and very rootable hero. Mark Strong almost steals the movie as a Q if he was also a kickass solider and Michael Caine is a great dislikeable snob spy
    Although After finding out he's working for Valentine, at his death scene seen that his character was from the same background as Eggsy was a great touch

Samuel l Jackson was a great villain and his blade leg wielding henchwoman Gazelle played brilliantly by Sofia Boutella was another standout. Loved the cameo from Mark Hamill and his English accent is top notch
    In the comic book they actually are out to save Mark Hamiil
    . The scene in the Church is as brutal as anything you see, even I was wincing at some of the deaths.

I hope it does brilliantly and that we get a sequel. 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

The Church scene, yes, incredable! :):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Watched it last night. V enjoyable film. It references old Bond movies in the film itself and that's what it was like (albeit the violence was much more visceral). Screening did not seem very full so perhaps it is not doing well? That would be a pity, I could see myself going to a sequel.

Advertisement