Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Ryder Cup 2014 Thread - No betting talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yeah, I'm surprised that Europe will be giving rookies their first taste of Ryder cup in the foresomes. McGinley must have liked the way some partnerships worked in practice. Hard to know really. That last fourball match will be a cracker. Only one sleep to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

very surprised by Europe's picks. Why split Rose and Poulter? off to the bookies to back America for the Foursomes!

Yeah really surprised Poulter and Rose have been split,formidable partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 digginz

Poulter the postman right now on sky 2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Amazing the amount Paul spoke about GAA - in his background piece earlier.

Jaysus - no end to it - can't believe I can watch this much build up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

Does anyone know the best viewing spots on the course?

Rory should be able to drive the green on the short Par 4 14th...

I'm only now watching this afternoon's stuff on Sky - Butch was almost spot on with his prediction for the pairings - class.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

One big sleep :D

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    One big sleep :D

Not too big....early start tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    Garcia/Rory most surprised....I hope they all get to play the first day
    Tones69 wrote: »
    I guessed that pick but i thought they would be first out!

I didn't actually guess it
    . :D some might say insider information :eek:

My prediction is they will play 3 times together over Friday and Saturday ;)

I think Stevie G and Poulter is a genius move..... That's what you want from a captain.... A little twist of imagination and vision

• Advertisement

Jaysus - lads the Opening Ceremony was cringe.

Thank feck Di Dougherty is good looking. As for a presenter........ :eek:

Nice performance from Amy McDonald - hard crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Kaymer is a machine. ❤️❤️❤️❤️*

*just watching miracle at medinah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

So excited...feel like going out in the garden in me jammies hittin a few balls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads what time are the foursomes going out at tomorrow?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dealerz wrote: »

I still can't get over how openly selfish he is in that.
    It's all about him being the man and wanting the glory imo.

He could have very easily blown it all going for the glory with that daft birdie putt. And if he did, it would probably have been a different story with Tiger on 18.

Power cut on our road for the last hour.

Not panicing.

Just yet.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

PARlance wrote: »

He could have very easily blown it all going for the glory with that daft birdie putt. And if he did, it would probably have been a different story with Tiger on 18.

True but perhaps also Honest / Positive?

Easy to forget what a low ebb his game was at before Ryder Cup, there were serious suggestions that he should pull out for the good of the team, I think he deserves credit for holding his nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Watching this one last time on Sky Go Catch up before bed :D

It's fairly obvious that any putt above the hole was very very fast. Wanting the glory is a wee bit too far, he had a putt, he went for it and just missed and went on 5 foot. For a professional golfer, any putt uphill from 5 foot he is gonna be confident over- so ipso facto he went for a putt.

It's fairly obvious that any putt above the hold was very very fast. Wanting the glory is a wee bit too far, he had a putt, he went for it and just missed and went on 5 foot. For a professional golfer, any putt uphill from 5 foot he is gonna be confident over- so ipso facto he went for a putt.

He says that he went for the birdie though, I think he even says he wanted the glory of it. There's a big difference between a pro going for a putt like that and a pro taking a sensible 2 putt approach.

I think it was a 7 footer he left himself. He added 5 unneccessary feet to a critical putt imo.

Still a big fan of his but that is a worrying attitude in a team event imo.

• Advertisement

cairny wrote: »
    True but perhaps also Honest / Positive?

Easy to forget what a low ebb his game was at before Ryder Cup, there were serious suggestions that he should pull out for the good of the team, I think he deserves credit for holding his nerve.

Too positive I would say. I just think it was daft and selfish. He slotted in brilliantly fair dues but if he had messed up and Tiger didn't throw in the towel... He could have went down in history as a villain.

He says that he went for the birdie though, I think he even says he wanted the glory of it. There's a big difference between a pro going for a putt like that and a pro taking a sensible 2 putt approach.

But is that not the point, he believed in himself his ability... Go for birdie but 100% confident of the par?

I think it was a 7 footer he left himself. He added 5 unneccessary feet to a critical putt imo.

Still a big fan of his but that is a worrying attitude in a team event imo.

Thinking more about this, would you want a guy that's thinking about holing the 1st one and the glory etc or a guy thinking "don't screw this up, if you screw this up you'll never live it down".

Was it just his way of staying positive or is that being too easy on him?

Too positive I would say. I just think it was daft and selfish. He slotted in brilliantly fair dues but if he had messed up and Tiger didn't throw in the towel... He could have went down in history as a villain.

I don't believe there would have been a European villain if they had lost the last two matches, more "hard luck" and "great effort" than a villain of the team

Thinking more about this, would you want a guy that's thinking about holing the 1st one and the glory etc or a guy thinking "don't screw this up, if you screw this up you'll never live it down".

Was it just his way of staying positive or is that being too easy on him?

I wouldn't expect any pro to have that attitude.
    The "don't screw it up" mindset is more of an amateur mindset.
    There was a sensible middle ground between the two.... That being "safe 2 putt".

The shock of his teammates and captain says it all for me. They knew he was too aggressive.

I don't believe there would have been a European villain if they had lost the last two matches, more "hard luck" and "great effort" than a villain of the team

Well, as Cairny reminded us, there were calls for him not to play due to his form.
    If he ended up losing it for Europe with a silly 3 putt then I think he would have gotten a lot of stick for it.
    And he could have ruined himself.

Anyway, a big fan, but I'd say McGinley may ask him to cause less heart attacks if in same situation again.

I wouldn't expect any pro to have that attitude.
    The "don't screw it up" mindset is more of an amateur mindset.
    There was a sensible middle ground between the two.... That being "safe 2 putt".

The shock of his teammates and captain says it all for me. They knew he was too aggressive.

Well yeah that's kind of my point, we might find the attitude shocking but it might not be to a pro.

Here the safer putt was beyond the hole, I do accept that that it was too aggressive but better 5' past than 3' short downhill left to right.

Well yeah that's kind of my point, we might find the attitude shocking but it might not be to a pro.

Here the safer putt was beyond the hole, I do accept that that it was too aggressive but better 5' past than 3' short downhill left to right.

I'll have to look closer when I view it for the 86th time :) but I'm fairly sure all his teammates looking on were shocked to see it rush past the hole..., they're the guys that would know best. Can't recall exactly but I think Westwood alluded to it by saying he left himself with more than he should.

Whatever word went back to Jose, he wasn't best pleased either. I think Jose said it was a tough putt (the first putt) in the doc, but I think he was being a bit nice considering in retrospect and having been made a winning captain.

It was a needless risk in my eyes. Not very German of him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Kaymer performed brilliantly under ferocious pressure - for instance his par putt on 17 - and went and got the win, holing out dead centre with all the pressure on him. Also that level of intensity of emotion/adrenaline, etc for Europe to come back from the dead in the US & it all to come down to him, for me it's reading way too much into it to be going on critically about a player who did so great failing to be pragmatic enough in such a ridiculously intense situtation. Anyone could get carried away by it all, & most would be more likely to be carried away negatively, wilting under the pressure & do for instance a Furyk.

Kaymer was also not in at all great form, so with every logical reason for his game to break down under the pressure - & I'd be judging the way he played in those circumstances - very much on the positive as a guy to want on your team, rather than remotely a negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Watching Miracle at Medinah makes me ask myself just one question.

How the feck does McGinley EVER pick Westwood over Donald.

Advertisement